Stephen Colbert vs. Sen. Jon Kyl on Abortion: Whose Side Are You On?

When are politicians going to learn? You mess with the Colbert you're going to get … served.

Especially if you try to sneak one by the sharp-as-a-sharpened-tack, faux-Republican Comedy Central news anchor. Let's just assume Republican Arizona Senator Jon Kyl didn't get the memo when he claimed that abortions account for "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."

Well, Sen. Kyl, that is an awfully persuasive number you mention and it certainly would make us think twice about using government funds for PP – reportedly a contentious issue in the just-resolved budget battle. But, as it turns it, that figure is more like 3 percent.

Funny story. According to Think Progress, Kyl's office quickly explained that the remark was "not intended to be a factual statement." Because, why, after all, during one of the most intense budget battles in recent memory that reportedly hinged, in part, on the always fiery issue of abortion, would you throw a giant word bomb like that out there if you were just making things up?

The "Colbert Report" host lives to pop those kind of pompous balloons, so he launched the hashtag #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement, and shared such pearls of wisdom as: "Jon Kyl has the world's most extensive catalogue of snuff films" and "Jon Kyl murdered a caricaturist for drawing him with a basketball instead of a surfboard," as well as "Jon Kyl can unhinge his jaw like a python to swallow small rodents whole?"

True? Who cares? What is undeniable is that it's funny. But not as funny as saying the factual (sounding) statement you made was not really supposed to be factual.

Colbert vs. Kyl: Whose side are you on?

• Liza Jane 2011/04/13 16:48:02
    Colbert
    Liza Jane
    +22
    He lied on the floor of the Senate to the American people... deliberately and intentionally. He deserved the skewering he received.

I wish more people on television would tell it like it is and shame these terrible politicians.

Jon Kyle once raped and murdered a young girl in 1990. #NotIntendedToBeaFactualState...

• JP Larry B... 2011/04/14 17:04:25 (edited)
    JP
    I never said it couldn't be, or that it shouldn't be as far as censorship is concerned

I have never heard of Will Rodgers, but would interested on his take as well.
  • RobHom 2011/04/14 02:18:00
    Colbert
    RobHom
    +1
    Frankly I think Colbert is a "hoot". I've gotten some good laughs watching him!! If a politician says something wrong or not factual....as if it were the truth...skewer them!!
  • halfmiletrack 2011/04/14 02:14:37
    Colbert
    halfmiletrack
    +1
    What's new? The current political debate is full of non-factual statements. I just don't get it how so many people get away with, well, just plain old in-your-face lies.
  • Bunglenomics 2011/04/14 02:13:25
    Kyl
    Bunglenomics
    The only reason I say Kyl is that I don't believe in federally funding abortion, from what I've heard Kyl seems to have twisted facts in some way.
  • Joanna ... Bunglen... 2011/04/14 03:15:26
    Joanna the Great
    +2
    It's illegal to use federal funds for abortions, has been for a long time. All abortions in Planned Parenthood are paid for by private donations. The reason congress wants to stop the funding is because they believe it will make it harder for Planned Parenthood to use private donations to fund abortions. Which doesn't make any damn sense, but there it is.
  • Dawn Joanna ... 2011/04/14 03:47:33
    Dawn
    +1
    no the reason congress wants to stop the funding is to do something ceremonial that their constituents are certain is the root cause of our economic (and moral) disaster so they can keep funneling *real* money to their corporate sponsors. :)
  • Joanna ... Dawn 2011/04/14 04:02:11
    Joanna the Great
    +2
    well that's true, but what I put was their official reasoning. :)
  • Dawn Joanna ... 2011/04/14 04:06:34
  • Bunglen... Joanna ... 2011/04/14 04:01:23
    Bunglenomics
    Ahhh. I see. Thanks. I personally would get rid of planned parenthood anyway, simply because I'm a nonbeliever in gov't provided health care in general, but that cleared a lot up for me.
  • Joanna ... Bunglen... 2011/04/14 05:31:00
    Joanna the Great
    no probelm
  • Larry B... Bunglen... 2011/04/14 16:15:10
    Larry Brown
    Yeah...well, I guess we should let all those people that use planned parenthood simply go to hell. I mean considering the cost of healthcare is unaffordable to millions of people, it is a way of thinning out the population. Let them and their pathetic little kids rot. They're just a blight on our society anyway. They bring down our property values.
  • Bunglen... Larry B... 2011/04/14 21:55:56
    Bunglenomics
    Hey, maybe instead of acting like I'm a completely uneducated moron who has never thought of that, you should study up a little. I'm not a religious right freak who is super conservative. I base all my beliefs on logic and individual liberty and rights. There's more to it than simply cutting the program and all the people die, the private sector is the way to go with health care and not public. It's not that I don't care about the people, it's just that I think that there is a better way to solve the issue of health care than to force everyone in America to pay for it.
  • Dogammit Bunglen... 2011/04/14 04:54:09 (edited)
    Dogammit
    Don't believe it. Kyl is right. http://www.lifenews.com/2011/...
    Planned Parenthood performs 25 percent of all abortions in the country.
  • aneed2know Dogammit 2011/04/14 05:56:42
    aneed2know
    you know posting that lie over and over again does not make it true and if he was telling the truth why didnt he stand by what he said?
  • Larry B... aneed2know 2011/04/14 16:17:03
    Larry Brown
    +1
    Exactly. Why would Kyles office say that it wasn't meant to be a factual statement. It was in fact a deliberate lie on the floor of the Senate. Kyle is retiring so I guess he figures what the hell?
  • aneed2know Larry B... 2011/04/15 05:09:54
    aneed2know
    i know but dont tell them that.
  • Larry B... Bunglen... 2011/04/14 16:09:53
    Larry Brown
    Well then you should have no problem. There is no federally funded abortion. Ever heard of the Hyde Amendment?
    Hyde Amendment
    First passed by Congress in 1976, the Hyde Amendment ensures that abortion is not covered in the comprehensive health care services provided by the federal government through Medicaid. Congress has made some exceptions to the funding ban, which have varied over the years. At present, the federal Medicaid program mandates abortion funding in cases of rape or incest, as well as when a pregnant woman's life is endangered.

Now unless you think that a woman should be forced into delivering a baby if she's been raped or even if it threatens her own life, you should have no problem. Who's life is more important here? The womans or the embryo that has been forced upon her?

You also have another basic issue to address...and that's whether or not you accept a lie in order to push your own personal agenda? Are you willing to lie or endorse a lie, if it supports your personal opinion on this subject? If that's the case, then how many orther subjects that you find an affinity for are you willing to lie in order to promote your point of view? Since you can't demonstrate how your opinion on anything is actually true...it simply means that you are willing to lie ...
    Hyde Amendment

You also have another basic issue to address...and that's whether or not you accept a lie in order to push your own personal agenda? Are you willing to lie or endorse a lie, if it supports your personal opinion on this subject? If that's the case, then how many orther subjects that you find an affinity for are you willing to lie in order to promote your point of view? Since you can't demonstrate how your opinion on anything is actually true...it simply means that you are willing to lie to get what you want. Is that what Republican conservatism is about. Lying to promote your value's that can't even be demonstrated as being true? Isn't truth itself the most important value to live by? What kind of value system is based on lies?
  • Bunglen... Larry B... 2011/04/14 21:53:03
    Bunglenomics
    Woah woah woah. Slow down. I'm not a Republican, I hate them. I'm a libertarian. I'm pro-choice man, even possibly up to the point of no time regulations whatsoever on abortion.
  • AndreaCharles 2011/04/14 01:55:12
    Colbert
    AndreaCharles
    no question about it by the way Jon Kyl is an ape who was shipped here by a ship from africa "not intended to be a factual statement."
  • sheratan 2011/04/14 01:39:24
    Colbert
    sheratan
    +2
    I always side with the truth.

It is a sad thing that the truth is from a comedian and not from a politician who has plead allegiance to serve the people and be accountable to them.
  • RockyMtGirl BN 2011/04/14 01:00:22
    Colbert
    RockyMtGirl BN
    When are the idiot politicians going to learn that there are videos and tapes and everyone's watching? Look how many rightwing pundits have been caught lying, being stupid or flip-flopping! Can't get away with it anymore.
  • Nancy A 2011/04/14 00:43:54
    Colbert
    Nancy A
    +2
    GW Bush signed in Title 10 funds for family planning clinics, didn't he? Kinda weird to see the Reps going all holy about it now. It isn't just Planned Parenthood that would take the hit. So would all the clinics that qualify for funding. More class warfare. The Reps are attacking the poor, particularly the women, who get their cancer screenings and birth control through low cost clinics.
  • trentinafur 2011/04/14 00:15:41
    Colbert
    trentinafur
    +5
    So why not post the link to the segment??

And Colbert's poke at FOXNews for stating "You can get PAP smears and breast exams done at Walgreen's!"

OMFG!!! How can ANYONE with 1/2 a brain watch FOX - unless it's for laughs??

http://www.colbertnation.com/...
  • AndreaC... trentin... 2011/04/14 01:55:56
    AndreaCharles
    exactly
  • whiteco... AndreaC... 2011/04/14 04:21:57
    whitecollar
    +2
    It's well known where Fox News stands. It is a Republican channel, completely one-sided, as evidenced by their guests. Jon Kyle for example. What an idiot. The idea that you could get a breast exam or pap smear at Walgreens. He probablly has less than 1/2 a brain, perhaps the size of a pea. Of course, he says now it wasn't meant to be factual.
    It's like watching a comedy when Republicans get together, they talk a lot, but there's nothing of substance. They tell so many lies and actually think we don't notice.
  • AndreaC... whiteco... 2011/04/15 02:13:08
  • A Founding Father 2011/04/14 00:02:05 (edited)
    Colbert
    A Founding Father
    +2
    Would a Senator be so poorly informed? Of course, not, he is simply another right-wing zealot, lying to excite the minds of those who enjoy such mental trips, and those who refuse to think for themselves on any issue or consideration. I watched his remarks made on the Senate floor, and, by his "body english" , he revealed that he was lying even as he spoke. What credibility could he ever have on any subject?

Congrats to Colbert for making fun of this loony. I wouldn't be so kind.
  • Carol 2011/04/13 23:58:11
    Colbert
    Carol
    +2
    It seems once again that Kyle can not handle the truth.
  • Magus BN-0 2011/04/13 23:38:29
    Colbert
    Magus BN-0
    +4
    How anybody can support Kyl telling a blatant lie and then "defending" himself by saying it was "not intended to be a factual statement." is beyond me. Even the most partisan Republicans should know that's inexcusable.
  • Hawkeye 2011/04/13 23:08:27
    Hawkeye
    +1
    While it may be true that Federal Funding can't legally be used for funding abortions it DOES free up all other funds for this..

It is actually possible that BOTH Kyle AND Cobert are telling the truth.. I don't know the figures so I'm just throwing out a concept here..

It occurs to me that while It is possible that the claim of only 3% of Federal Funding going towards abortion may well be true.. it is ALSO possible that if ALL other funding DOES go towards abortion and those funds are extensive enough,, that 90% of ALL funding for Planned Parenthood can be dedicated towards abortions and NOT effect the 3% Federal Funding at all..

When speaking about Federal Funding vrs. all othe types we're really talking about two different things..
  • Magus BN-0 Hawkeye 2011/04/13 23:39:11
    Magus BN-0
    +4
    It occurs to me that while It is possible that the claim of only 3% of Federal Funding going towards abortion may well be true.Except that's not the claim anybody's making! 0% of federal funding goes to abortion.
  • Hawkeye Magus BN-0 2011/04/13 23:42:59
    Hawkeye
    +2
    It STILL seems to be enough to make them the largest abortion provider in the country..
  • aneed2know Hawkeye 2011/04/14 05:59:15
    aneed2know
    and because they do this service, its okay to lie on them? is that what your saying.
  • CTF Hawkeye 2011/04/13 23:55:30
    CTF
    +3
    No, they can't both be right. Funding has nothing to do with Kyl's claim.... His actual claim was about the percentage of abortions performed, relative to the total number of procedures (of ANY kind) Planned Parenthood is involved in.

Basically, for every 100 procedures PP performs (including- but not limited to- breast exams, pap smears, sterlization, pre-natal care, etc..) 97 of them are NOT abortions.
  • Dawn Hawkeye 2011/04/14 03:48:23
    Dawn
    +1
    3% of planned parenthoods "business" is abortions. no federal money goes to abortions.
  • cat 2011/04/13 23:07:54
    Colbert
    cat
    +3
    Jon Kyl lied and lies all the time. he should not be a Senator.
  • Cogs 2011/04/13 22:44:08
    Colbert
    Cogs
    +3
    Colbert pretty much rules. Those hashtags are hilarious.
  • CTF 2011/04/13 21:48:24
    Colbert
    CTF
    +3
    I almost don't know which is worse. The fact that Kyl made up a statistic, or that he tried to justify it by claiming that he never meant to tell the truth.

He lied & he knew it.... Sen. Kyl, you're an embarassment to all of us.
  • sockpuppet 2011/04/13 21:41:53
    sockpuppet
    Nobody's side. Colbert is such a tiresome ninny,
    I'd be inclined to take Stalin's side over his.
    There is no side - one is a weak comic who tries too hard to be relevant and one is a retiring congressional guy. Wouldn't it be fun if these type 'comics' noticed such things as Nan Pelosi and the "6 million Seniors will die" (she managed to get the Pinocchio award from left leaning Washington Post) or Wasserman and the "70,000 children will" die or starve (hard to remember hyperbole well) , or Dirty Harry telling that his wife, daughter and granddaughters will all get cancer without PP (should we tell Harry we know he is lying or pretend his is actually saying something)

Look, gore Kyle but at least use the other horn for all the other outrageous crap. Or, then again, this "comic" only has one side and he cares nothing about truth at all unless it is from the right of center - otherwise who gives a shit!! Right??

2014/10/24 13:29:10