Stephanie Cutter: Mitt Romney Blatantly Distorting the President's Record

Mopvyzo 2012/06/14 19:48:50
SodaHead Progressives

Stephanie Cutter shares how it's getting worse: not only is Mitt Romney distorting President Obama's record -- he won't tell the truth about his own record either.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/WDBD-We-Dont...

• daryl blaire 2012/09/12 09:57:26
    daryl blaire
    +4
    This video goes right along with romneys venture capitalism at Bain . Venture capitalists are never really concerned about the low men/women on the totem pole. Their Interests always lie with themselves first and their investors. They buy companies that are in trouble and them barrow money on their credit and run up massive debts all the while paying themselves ... If the company happens to turn around then they win. But when if it doesn't they still win because they are still charging an enormous fee for their service regardless of the outcome in addition to the borrowing they have done on the companies credit that they gave to themselves not the company and then they sell the company after running it into the ground with debt.....case in point kb toys ... A Romney/Bain project that they ran into the ground. Oh and now he's Tryna do the same with the country with unlimited sums of money.... HELL NO !!!!!!!!

• Jeane Helms 2012/09/12 15:03:34
    Jeane Helms
    +1
    Thanks Stephanie for letting The People know, the real facts on these issues! I for one, am afraid of what will happen to my life, if President Obama is not re-elected! Mr. Romney, if he's elected will lead us down the wrong path, with all his lies and catering to the rich ! President Obama , truly cares about The People ! He was raised, and brought up with awesome values.President Obama, is the honest one ! The caring one! The hopeful one ! He is the one for a future, He will , finish taking us in the right direction ! OBAMA 2012! Elizabeth Warren 2016 !!!!
  • daryl blaire 2012/09/12 09:57:26
    daryl blaire
    +4
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/07/14 07:14:07
  • prayer warrior 2012/06/16 02:50:14
  • Idiot repubs 2012/06/15 00:51:44
    Idiot repubs
    What are Rmoneys plans? He hasn't spelled any of them out.
  • EdVenture 2012/06/15 00:21:17
    EdVenture
    +1
    Thanks for the facts. Very informative and well presented.
  • The Electrician 2012/06/14 23:38:49
    The Electrician
    +1
    How many people reall believe these ads, is what bothers me.
  • carri byers 2012/06/14 23:12:19 (edited)
    carri byers
    Federal spending since I took office has risen at the slowest pace of any president in almost 60 years," Obama said at a campaign rally Thursday in Des Moines, Iowa.

The problem with that rosy claim is that the Wall Street bailout is part of the calculation. The bailout ballooned the 2009 budget just before Obama took office, making Obama's 2010 results look smaller in comparison. And as almost $150 billion of the bailout was paid back during Obama's watch, the analysis counted them as government spending cuts.

It also assumes Obama had less of a role setting the budget for 2009 than he really did.

First, there's the Troubled Assets Relief Program, the official name for the Wall Street bailout. First, companies got a net $151 billion from TARP in 2009, making 2010 spending look smaller. Then, because banks and Wall Street firms repaid a net $110 billion in TARP funds in 2010, Obama is claiming credit for cutting spending by that much.

The combination of TARP lending in one year and much of that money being paid back in the next makes Obama's spending record for 2010 look $261 billion thriftier than it really was. Only by that measure does Obama "cut" spending by 1.8 percent in 2010 as the analysis claims.

Obama signed nine spending bills funding every Cabinet agency ...

Obama signed nine spending bills funding every Cabinet agency except Defense, Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security. While the numbers don't jibe exactly, Obama bears the chief responsibility for an 11 percent, $59 billion increase in non-defense spending in 2009. Then there's a 9 percent, $109 billion increase in combined defense and non-defense appropriated outlays in 2010, a year for which Obama is wholly responsible.

MarketWatch analysis also incorporates CBO's annual baseline as its estimate for fiscal years 2012 and 2013. That gives Obama credit for three events unlikely to occur:

_$65 billion in 2013 from automatic, across-the-board spending cuts slated to take effect next January.

_Cuts in Medicare payments to physicians.

_The expiration of refundable tax cuts that are "scored" as spending in federal ledgers

If one assumes that TARP and the takeover of Fannie and Freddie by the government as one-time budgetary anomalies and remove them from calculations — an approach taken by Holtz-Eakin — you get the following picture:

_A 9.7 percent increase in 2009, much of which is attributable to Obama.

_A 7.8 percent increase in 2010, followed by slower spending growth over 2011-13. Much of the slower growth reflects the influence of Republicans retaking control of the House and their budget and debt deal last summer with Obama. All told, government spending now appears to be growing at an annual rate of roughly 3 percent over the 2010-2013 period, rather than the 0.4 percent claimed by Obama and the MarketWatch analysis.

(all quotes from http://www.aei.org/article/ec... )

It is also not taking into account that half of th auto bailout has yet to be paid back although the govt now has no standing in the company, having sold its shares in July of 2011. So Obama takes full credit for the half that has been paid back, never mentions the 9% and allows GM to claim record profit with almost 36 billion in debt still outstanding.

This is typical left wing number magic more commonly known as lies. Obama has doubled the deficit in 4 short years. There is no getting around that.
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/14 22:29:11
    ehrhornp
    +3
    Can anyone really be surprised that Mitt and republicans in general lie? When was the last time they told the truth? I think you might have to go back to Nixon for something truthful and he was still a crook. lol
  • carri b... ehrhornp 2012/06/14 23:15:23
    carri byers
    If you think your liberal cronies don't speak lie-eze at least as fluently if not more so than any republican hack, you are living in a fantasy land.
  • ehrhornp carri b... 2012/06/14 23:25:26 (edited)
    ehrhornp
    +2
    No I don't. What democrat has made the following lies:
    combat operations are almost over
    Saddam has WMDs
    Tax cuts for the rich will stimulate the economy and keep the federal budge balance
    Should cut spending in economic downturns,
    List goes on.

It is a shame that republicans or phony conservatives don't learn from history.

It is also a shame that they have kicked their past presidents from Eisenhower to Reagan under a bus.
  • EdVenture ehrhornp 2012/06/15 00:09:28
    EdVenture
    +2
    Its also a shame they're leaning on scabs to defend them like this guy.
  • michael ehrhornp 2012/06/15 00:47:52
    michael
    Tell me the truth are you just "trolling" becuase no one can be that out of touch with today's world rather than old news!Have you seen the growing homeless problem here in Florida??? Do you see the near record high unemployment in our country??? I have been unemployed for now nearly 2 years and I am currently finishing out my first year of being homeless plus I am in total default on ALL my student loans repayments becuase of my economic problems. I will never vote for any Democrat again becuase I was better off under the Republicans!
  • ehrhornp michael 2012/06/15 02:15:31
    ehrhornp
    Well you should blame the republicans. But you said you will vote for mitt and other republicans in which case you deserve to be unemployed for 4 more years. Do you know what got us out of the great depression? Do you know that the economic downturn that started under G W Bush was the second worse downturn second only to the great depression? Do you know what finally got us out of the great depression once and for all? Do you know which party is doing all they can to prevent this from being done now?

Fact is Government spending got us out of the great depression, lots of it. Country went into huge deficits. The spending was called WWII. Today republicans instead of agreeing to spend tons of money on improving the country's infrastructure and education, wants the country to sink back into recession.

Talk about trolling. at least I understand where the problem starts. You are just blind to it. Good luck in finding a job. Under mitt and your republican governor, I am sure you can find a job at Burger King.
  • michael ehrhornp 2012/06/15 14:05:47
    michael
    And what kind of drugs are you smoking???
    You are saying you know my life better than me! You are clearly are a Democrat in that attitude of yours!
    The time you are talking about was nearly 80 years. I was a history major in grad school ( hence one of the reasons why I can't get a job with my degree and why I am homeless, unemployed, and I am in default)--FDR was president he created a series of programs called the New Deal-which may have acheived your ideals about government. But you totally ignore the fact that when FDR became president he a federal Teasury that ( I find it hard to beleave it) had a SURPLUS of money not a DEFICIT of money we have today hence FDR didn't have to raise taxes and could go on SPENDING money. Also frequently over looked fact by liberals is that many states back then also had balance budgets and no state income taxes ( I bet the people of New York and California would love that) hence they had "room to grow" within their budgets. In fact Florida still doesn't have a state income tax!
    As for TODAY'S America, you are right George W Bush really "stopped" being President the day after Katrina destroyed New Orleans as well as running up the federal debt. I still don't know why he just "gave-up" but he did. I think you would have to say it is common s...

As for TODAY'S America, you are right George W Bush really "stopped" being President the day after Katrina destroyed New Orleans as well as running up the federal debt. I still don't know why he just "gave-up" but he did. I think you would have to say it is common sense that after 3 YEARS in office it is high time for Obama and the entire Democratic Party to take some responsiblity for the economy and stop blaming Bush. Did you see last unemployment figures??? Did you see yesterday's report on new unemployment fillings?? Again I ask you are dealing with today's reality??? I know I still unemployed, homeless , and in default on all my student loans and I am 46 years old--I am to send this email only becuase of the public library has computers. How can things get worse for me????
    And , lastly, clearly you are NOT seeing what is going on in Europe-- especially Greece, Spain, Ireland, and Italy--- EU's sovereign default crises and its solution to the problem of too much governmental debt-----austerity. As should know AUSTERITY refers to a policy of deficit -cutting by lowering spending often via a reduction in the amount of benefits and public services . Personally, I think that idea is coming over to the USA-many governors including Democratic ones are moving in that direction...why you ask becuase the bond markets are moving in that direction!
    BTW ...I didn't vote for Rick Scott since I was out of state--he is an idiot but a popular one.
  • ehrhornp michael 2012/06/15 16:02:53
    ehrhornp
    Of course I am a democrat, You call yourself a history major? If so you should know that under Roosevelt deficit spending was incurred. Not a lot but there was some. During WWII, deficit spending really increased, showing that Keynesian economics worked. Someone remarked on the radio that Obama should announce that we will soon be under attack by aliens from space and we must prepare our defenses by having better infrastructure, communication systems, etc. Go into deficit spending like WWII and then once the economy has recovered tell the public we won, we scared them away. lol

But republican policies of socialism for the rich will just plunged the country into an economic black hole. As a history major you should be aware of the fact that this country had an economic melt down every twenty years with the most recent one being the worst. Socialism changed this. Do you really want to go back to the days of boom bust?

What this country needs is huge government spending because private business is not spending. Once the middle class is established again, tax rates should be gradually risen on the rich. They have received most of the benefits of this country for the past 30 years they can afford to pay a bit more. If they want to leave, let them. Our tax rates are not that high when compared to a lot of other countries.
  • michael ehrhornp 2012/06/15 19:42:12
    michael
    WRONG ...I was called a history major by both Florida State Universirty and at Tennessee--you MIGHT have heard of those schools besides I got the student loan debts to prove it too!!! Welcome to the future of Obama's America-where everyone has both good education with lots of degrees and are endebted in students loans up to there eyeballs thus social agancies can't help you out of homelessness like me!!!
    You are offering this old idea called socialism-which at least for me not a bad theory but it does break down in everyday reality. You are trying to get poor and lower middle class people of different races, genders, and more importantly different backgrounds to work together for the common good-that my freinds is easier said than done. It is not going to work for people who are very deeply endebted like myself (student loans--I remind you the US Supreme Court has already ruled you cannot use the bankrupcy laws on your student loan debts--I tried and failed in that quest). Or people who have criminal records. I remind you the most socailized institution in the USA.... is the US military still they won't take people with who are too old, major criminal records, have disablity issues, or simply too much personal debt ( ask anyone in the US military if you can't get into trouble...
    You are offering this old idea called socialism-which at least for me not a bad theory but it does break down in everyday reality. You are trying to get poor and lower middle class people of different races, genders, and more importantly different backgrounds to work together for the common good-that my freinds is easier said than done. It is not going to work for people who are very deeply endebted like myself (student loans--I remind you the US Supreme Court has already ruled you cannot use the bankrupcy laws on your student loan debts--I tried and failed in that quest). Or people who have criminal records. I remind you the most socailized institution in the USA.... is the US military still they won't take people with who are too old, major criminal records, have disablity issues, or simply too much personal debt ( ask anyone in the US military if you can't get into trouble over personal finances issues--trust me I tried to enlist but was turned down). Your only idea is simply to tax the rich--historically there are limitations with that appraoch. If you think I am lying then look at Europe today.Nearly everyone of those countries in the EU have a class system of those at the top and those in the middle and those at the bottom just like ALL countries on the planet. How is that possable to have a class system under a socialist system???
  • ehrhornp michael 2012/06/16 01:15:43
    ehrhornp
    How much debt are you in and why did you major in History? The point is that since we are in an economic downturn it is only the government that has the resources to spend and create demand. Shame the republicans are fighting this. Shows they prefer economic adversity to a recovery. Pretty pathetic.
  • michael ehrhornp 2012/06/16 21:34:51
    michael
    Of course everyone knows you have to qualify to gain entry into any college program....right?? Welll , all my highest grades in high school where in civics and history.....hence do to my low math and science scores I only qualified for was history or political science so I chose history.It is that simple. It is why I am big beleaver in reformering the colleges and universities--their are way too many degrees on college campuses that are in fact WORTHLESS like mine. I mean come on "Gender studies" what on earth can anyone do with that degree??? See I am an example of all that has gone wrong with liberal colleges and the types of people they create.
    You are totally WRONG in this statement " we are in an economic downturn it is only the government that has the resources to spend and create demand"...........the government is in a DEFICIT hence it cannot keep spending money. I am NOT making this up--even Obama has admitted the deficit is real --in fact last year he appointed a commission to look at our debts.....RIGHT???
  • ehrhornp michael 2012/06/16 21:46:10
    ehrhornp
    As a history major you must realize that prior to WWII, this country had some deficit spending. Do you realize that it was WWII that pulled us out of the great depression once and for all? You do realize that the country sustained some pretty big deficits during this time. Are you saying we should not have entered WWII because of the debt it caused? That debt did not bankrupt America but led to the growth of the middle class and prosperity for decades to come. We have the same option today. We can go into deficit spending to create demand until private industry is able to do it or we can just suffer along.

It has been decades since I went to college. In my case I didn't have to declare any major at the point of application. That was determined later after I was already accepted. I took some math and physics classes but eventually settled on sociology as I was pretty sure I was going into Insurance and it didn't really matter what my major was in.
  • michael ehrhornp 2012/06/17 23:39:42
    michael
    Prior to 1932, only in wartime ( US Civil War and World War One) did the US Gove. ever accept a large scale deficit spending; in peacetime, we(USA) TRIED to live within its budget which is a far cry from today. I have to admit we(USA) still had major economic problems outside of that and guess what the US gov. did about them.....nothing becuase they let Wall Street deal with them. For example, many people today ignore the fact the state of Florida defaulted twice in the 1840s on its private loans to various banks and the state of Pennsylvania simply refused to repay the British Barings Bank on their bonds becuase they ( state of Pennsylvania) had barrowed too much money. In fact, both Indiana and Ohio, property taxes went up eightfold in the early 1840s becuase of thier private banking debts. As for the states, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Massachusetts all installed state property taxes to repay those private banking debts. As for Florida, simply put the private money that Barings "lost" ( trust me Barings KNEW where their money went but couldn't recover it) was low even for the standards of those days . Florida STILL had to repay that money back and made some payments on it but they(Florida) didn't have that fully paid back in 1860-when Florida left the union. In fa...
    Prior to 1932, only in wartime ( US Civil War and World War One) did the US Gove. ever accept a large scale deficit spending; in peacetime, we(USA) TRIED to live within its budget which is a far cry from today. I have to admit we(USA) still had major economic problems outside of that and guess what the US gov. did about them.....nothing becuase they let Wall Street deal with them. For example, many people today ignore the fact the state of Florida defaulted twice in the 1840s on its private loans to various banks and the state of Pennsylvania simply refused to repay the British Barings Bank on their bonds becuase they ( state of Pennsylvania) had barrowed too much money. In fact, both Indiana and Ohio, property taxes went up eightfold in the early 1840s becuase of thier private banking debts. As for the states, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Massachusetts all installed state property taxes to repay those private banking debts. As for Florida, simply put the private money that Barings "lost" ( trust me Barings KNEW where their money went but couldn't recover it) was low even for the standards of those days . Florida STILL had to repay that money back and made some payments on it but they(Florida) didn't have that fully paid back in 1860-when Florida left the union. In fact, that debt was a SECONDARY reason for Florida's secession from the union in 1860 after SLAVERY. Please note I said NOTHING about any type of federal help becuase there wasn't any-the states were on their own. Also note that the reaction of the common people in those days was to in the words of Hoacre Greely " Go , West , young man". I suggest you look up the banking crises of the USA starting with Andrew Jackson's famous battles against the Bank of the United States in the 1830s all the way up to about 1850 for more details on this rather pitiful story in American history.
    Beleave it or not, I once wanted to be a history teacher and educate kids about how wonderful our nation really is but I "discovered" how awful kids are and how petty parents are. Plus I "discovered" that I was ALL READY too far indebt on my student loans hence it wouldn't profit me to waste my time teaching.
  • William... ehrhornp 2012/09/12 23:20:52
    William Wallace
    +5
    Proper grammar in this post would have been nice. As it reads, half of your post makes no sense.
  • ehrhornp William... 2012/09/13 01:49:17
    ehrhornp
    I understand. Being a phony conservative, you have a comprehension problem. :-)
  • luvguins 2012/06/14 20:30:08
    luvguins
    +4
    Romney is a pathological liar and a sociopath. He can't discuss what his plans are or his miserable record as governor of MA.
  • michael luvguins 2012/06/15 19:43:14
    michael
    But guess what Obama is also a liar and he is almost as bad as Rick Scott!
  • luvguins michael 2012/06/15 20:12:08
    luvguins
    No one is as bad as Rick Scott the Columbia/HCA criminal who got away with fraud that the company had to pay for.
  • michael luvguins 2012/06/16 21:36:27
    michael
    perhaps you are correct, but I ask you look at what is going on in Europe over Greece and Spain--doesn't the reaction of Germany that sound alot like Rick Scott's ideas for Florida???
  • luvguins michael 2012/06/16 22:16:24
    luvguins
    Merkle is between a rock and a hard place, and some Republicans were trying to give her advice when they should stay out of it.
  • Starman 2012/06/14 20:20:05
    Starman
    +3
    What an outstanding video. I wish there was some way to get the RWNJs here on SH to pay attention to facts, but they are so wedded to their lies that they won't even consider the truth. Sigh...

All we can do is make sure as many people as possible that will listen to facts hear them.
  • Keeping It Real 2012/06/14 20:11:18
    Keeping It Real
    +4
    You go girl!
  • Wag 2012/06/14 20:09:07
    Wag
    +3
    Can a mormon get elected President just by trashing the current President. Sooner or later he has to tell the country his vision for america......Romney what a putz....
  • carri b... Wag 2012/06/14 23:14:05
    carri byers
    Bigot!
  • Wag carri b... 2012/06/15 14:24:40
    Wag
    +1
    Hold up here.....For the last 4 yrs I have heard and read where the RWNJs have called the President of the United States names like: comunist,socialist and any word they can put "ist" behind. I called Romney a moron oops Morman, and I,m the bigot. Is he not a Mormon? The President is none of the above and yet Romney is still a Moron....ooops Mormon.

Mormon

2014/11/26 23:09:17