Southwest Calls Woman Out for Cleavage: Was the Airline Justified?

Airlines have a way of creeping into the news any time a passenger plays too much "Words With Friends" or allows his pants to sag a little too much. This week is no different. According to Jezebel, a woman was hassled on a 6 a.m. Southwest flight from Las Vegas to New York a few weeks ago because she was boasting too much boobage. You know... cleavage, baggage, breastage... She was showing too much of her twins. At least, that's what the airline said.

A woman going by the name Avital told Jezebel that she was told her outfit was "inappropriate" because it showed too much of her chest, but she didn't let that deter her. She boarded the plane anyway and, in her own words, "Lo and behold, the plane didn't fall out of the sky... My cleavage did not interfere with the plane's ability to function properly." Do you think Avital deserved to be called out by Southwest Airlines for having too much cleavage, or is her outfit perfectly acceptable?

• Jiorgia Rachel ... 2012/06/25 16:22:33
    Jiorgia
    you better start wearing a burqa then...
    because muslim men do not feel comfortable with seeing your face arms or legs.
  • Rob Rachel ... 2012/06/25 18:33:07
    Rob
    +2
    You're being rude by exposing that Melissa Gilbert avatar, I'm uncomfortable with seeing it.
  • Rachel ... Rob 2012/06/26 06:02:23
    Rachel Searvogel
    I don't have a Melissa Gilbert avatar... My picture is of me. I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Who is Melissa Gilbert, anyway?
  • HipJipC Rachel ... 2012/06/25 21:03:21
    HipJipC
    I'm a big lady and I have big cleavage. I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me what clothing to wear to hide my cleavage or the voluptuousness of my breasts just because they have a voyeurism and shame problem. Sometimes you have to ask yourself ... are these people broken ... or is it just me? It's totally you.
  • fish 2012/06/25 00:35:05
  • Mel Mar... fish 2012/06/25 15:11:22
    Mel Martens
    It must have been declining for some time then...

declining

But to be very honest, what she's wearing is showing even less than most women showed even 150 years ago.

(btw, that print is Queen Victoria. And since she was relatively flat chested in comparison, put ME or the lady in question in this article ion that same dress, adjust for roundedness obviously, and there would be quite a cleavage to behold. It's simply how one is shaped)

http://b-womeninamericanhisto...
    Behind that link is also a good example of even further back. Put me in ANY of those dresses and I would give you something to complain about.
  • Jiorgia Mel Mar... 2012/06/25 16:24:21
    Jiorgia
    not to mention wet nurses who used to literally walk around topless.
  • Grammar... fish 2012/06/25 15:34:56
    Grammar Freak
    So, by your reasoning, there should be actual "fashion police" monitoring what everyone wears so that no one gets offended & punishing people who offend others.

Sounds like you need to live in Saudi Arabia for a while. They actually agree with you there.
  • fish Grammar... 2012/06/26 02:58:57
    fish
    People should police themselves. Women with giant boobies should stop and think, will this outfit cause hungry babies to reach out in want of drink? If so, maybe I should cover up. Ever go the people of Wal-mart website. Those people should be executed.YES there should be a fashion police, there already is in fact! JOAN RIVERS WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU! ARREST THIS SAGGY BOOBIE COW FOR CRIMES AGAINST FASHION!
  • Grammar... fish 2012/06/26 10:27:23
    Grammar Freak
    "Should be" this & "should do" that... it's all personal opinion & of little value.
    The United States of America is nation based on laws. In my opinion, we have far too many already, however, again, my opinion is of little value as well.
    The last thing the USA needs is some stupid division of fashion police. Who gets to make the decision about what is & isn't acceptable? You? Me? The guy next door?
    Joan Rivers? Are you serious?
    Look.
    If you don't like being free & you don't like that every one of your neighbors is free, then go live somewhere that is less free. The United States is already losing far too many liberties, thanks to both the Neoconservatives who want to control everyone & the Liberals who want to give to everyone (out of everyone else's pockets).
    If you have a problem with being free, that's your problem, at this point, it is still the United States of America with the symbolic title: Land of the Free.

I personally have a problem with not being free enough, with losing my liberties. I'd rather the guy next door walk around buck naked in a neon pink wig & the woman on the other side wear her Gothic black robes with jet black hair & black lipstick & long, black nails looking like something out of a creepy comic book than live in a nation where people's clothing is di...

&&
    Joan Rivers? Are you serious?
    Look.

I personally have a problem with not being free enough, with losing my liberties. I'd rather the guy next door walk around buck naked in a neon pink wig & the woman on the other side wear her Gothic black robes with jet black hair & black lipstick & long, black nails looking like something out of a creepy comic book than live in a nation where people's clothing is dictated by someone else... usually some judgmental pseudo-Christian who thinks he/she is more qualified than others to determine what gawd would say about everyone.

Seriously... if you don't like being free, either go somewhere else or sit quietly & wait while our Congress & President(s) remove our liberties one after another... it won't take long before they're all gone. Our nation will soon be the ultra-Christian police state you're so anxious to see.
  • fish Grammar... 2012/06/27 01:05:04
    fish
    SO SERIOUS. If she has the right to show her cleavage I have the right to be an obnoxious ass by shouting at the top of my lungs "HEY EVERYBODY, LOOKS AT HER TITS, NO SERIOUSLY LOOK, SHE HAS THEM ON DISPLAY, QUICK FORM A LINE TO TAKE PICTURES TO SHARE WITH YOU CHILDREN, THEY NEED TO SEE THESE!
  • Grammar... fish 2012/06/27 09:22:19
    Grammar Freak
    Perhaps. The legality of that action is quite questionable. I'm sure it depends on the state.

But the only person who would look like an ass would be you. Sure, you would embarrass her, & I suppose if your entire goal in life is to embarrass strangers while they mind their own business, you would then be successful. However, it's pretty certain that you would certainly not win any positive attention from anyone.

In fact, I would say that even suggesting doing such a thing causes me to think you're a 31 year old bully who quite likely needs a good ass beating... just like those little boys who bullied the bus monitor.
    Yeah, I'd put you in line with them.
  • it'skri... fish 2012/06/25 16:18:20
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +2
    But what everyone seems to be forgetting here is that this is America. She IS allowed to wear whatever she wants to. If you don't like staring at her low cleavage, don't. Simple. If you have children around you, steer them away. She has rights, and to be honest, this is an example of ignorance in our country. I apologize that it doesn't say if a woman is wearing a dress that drops too low for her to change in the law, but America is America. That's you, this is me, and that's her. We all deserve to have an opinion, but I see grown adults walking around public areas wearing less. However, nothing happens. The only reason something happened was because a worker opened her mouth and spewed her personal views. It was inappropriate to do it at work and none of her business. If she wanted to tell her that somewhere else like on the streets, that's her deal. The airlines is not "school". There is no law for how you should dress, and if there was one, I wouldn't consider America free anymore. There are so many unconstitutional laws now, it's ridiculous. I understand your views on how people should dress better and classier. I have the same views as well. I admire quality, respect, and decency in a person. I would never walk out of the house like that, but again, that's not me. She is her own person and she can wear whatever she wants. If I don't like it, I don't have to stare.
  • HipJipC it'skri... 2012/06/25 21:17:27
    HipJipC
    Ah, a voice of reason. Very well put.
  • it'skri... HipJipC 2012/06/25 23:42:00
    it'skrissie!d:)
    Thank you.
  • Grammar... it'skri... 2012/06/26 10:14:55
    Grammar Freak
    I agree with you.
    However, as the Devil's Advocate, I would submit that it is also within the airline's rights to deny service to whomever they choose.
    The problem here is that there are no dress-code rules posted anywhere. If the airline would like to impose a dress-code, it needs to post it online for customers to read BEFORE purchasing their ticket(s) & if using an agent, it should be told to the customer BEFORE purchasing the ticket(s).
    However, in this case, there are no dress-code rules, so the airline really has no grounds on which to stand, legally. They tell their employees to make personal judgments & support them in their decisions when they do such things. Southwest has quite the history of this sort of thing. I would argue that they hire their share of prudish little prisses.
    You are absolutely correct. The only laws in the US regarding clothing say that genitals have to be covered in public unless a woman is breastfeeding.
    However, it is within the rights of a business to deny service to whomever they choose as long as they are not discriminating based on race. The airline, in this case, needs to post clear & understandable rules regarding a dress-code or stop their employees from harassing their customers. I would submit that crap like this is likely going ...&&
    &
    I agree with you.
    However, it is within the rights of a business to deny service to whomever they choose as long as they are not discriminating based on race. The airline, in this case, needs to post clear & understandable rules regarding a dress-code or stop their employees from harassing their customers. I would submit that crap like this is likely going to hurt business more than anything. The paying customer should never be harassed, shamed & embarrassed by the company to whom they are paying a fee for services. That's just bad business, plain & simple.
    That aside, Southwest has always had an excellent safety record & if I am ever in the position again, I'd likely fly with them.
  • it'skri... Grammar... 2012/06/26 23:13:24
    it'skrissie!d:)
    +1
    Fair enough:)
  • HipJipC fish 2012/06/25 21:12:38
    HipJipC
    All of a sudden I realized why people are afraid to have a woman president.
    I'm a big lady and I have big cleavage. I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me what clothing to wear to hide my cleavage or the voluptuousness of my breasts just because they or YOU have a voyeurism and shame problem. Sometimes you have to ask yourself ... are these people broken ... or is it just me? It's totally you.
    Did it ever occur to you people that you offend us busty women with your eyes? Only you can control where you put them. If we had control of that you wouldn't have any ; 0
  • mark 2012/06/24 23:31:09
    mark
    +1
    If a passenger complained Southwest might have something to say. But after seeing the cleavage in question, even a complaint should have been ignored.
  • Lycanthrope101 2012/06/24 22:44:42
    Lycanthrope101
    +1
    There's a line and if the picture below is legit, then it definitely wasn't crossed. Unless people complain, then just get the hell on with it!
  • ruthannhausman 2012/06/24 22:26:07
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    I'm usually pretty critical of slutty clothing but this picture is far from the worst I've ever seen and although it does show some cleavage, she is not really dressed like a person who is intentionally out to titillate the viewing public. Close, but not offensive.
  • TheBorg 2012/06/24 21:43:24 (edited)
    TheBorg
    +4
    First of all, I've looked an numerous different web sites and found numerous pictures so I think it is very likely that the picture shown here is not the actually dress of the passenger. However, even if it was, a company has every right to enforce a dress code on their property.

Would all of you who voted "No" still have said no if she was dressed like this?

picture dress passenger company enforce dress code property voted dressed

What if she had no top on at all?

I find it appalling how both the extreme left and extreme right love to take rights away from people. The owner of the aircraft should have the right to have any dress code they wish and if the client doesn't like the dress code they can fly another airline. That is how Capitalism is supposed to work, not whinny people crying "I want this, lets pass laws and make people do what we want them too."

I will now never fly Southwest because they apologized for something they never should have apologized for and not having the balls to stand up for what is right.
  • Jiorgia TheBorg 2012/06/25 16:31:00
    Jiorgia
    A woman should have the right to expose her breasts wherever a man has the right to show his chest.
    An airline is allowed to have a dress code, but they have to let people know what that dress code is, where does southwest say that it has a dress code or outline what is and isn't acceptable.

oh also, have you not heard, to truly succeed in capitalism, the consumer has to be happy with your service, you think in this day and age that people are going to allow a company to have any control over what they wear, say, think or do, no, businesses have rights but the consumer is the one with the money.
  • TheBorg Jiorgia 2012/06/26 03:39:53
    TheBorg
    "A woman should have the right to expose her breasts wherever a man has the right to show his chest."

That is a ridiculous statement. On my property, I can create any rule I wish and throw off of my property any person who doesn't abide by my rules and to say that someone can force or dictate to me what I can or cannot allow on my own property is ridiculous and fascist. If a man or woman chooses not to wear a shirt on my property I have every right to ask them to leave.

**Southwest owns those planes. They, just like me, have every right to decide what happens on their property!!** They don't need to have a dress code written down any more than I need to have a dress code written down for the people that come onto my property.

Your capitalism comment makes no sense. When you fly on an airplane you are literally shoulder to shoulder with fellow passengers, I sure as hell don't want to fly on an airline that has been forced by fascists to allow any behavior, dress or lack of dress on their aircraft. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, the individual passenger gets to decide what is or is not appropriate on that airplane. So if the man sitting next to you wishes to pull out his junk and start playing with himself that is completely ok with you because he, the passenger g...

Your capitalism comment makes no sense. When you fly on an airplane you are literally shoulder to shoulder with fellow passengers, I sure as hell don't want to fly on an airline that has been forced by fascists to allow any behavior, dress or lack of dress on their aircraft. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, the individual passenger gets to decide what is or is not appropriate on that airplane. So if the man sitting next to you wishes to pull out his junk and start playing with himself that is completely ok with you because he, the passenger gets to make the rules, unless he has been given a list of all the non-acceptable behaviors and dress codes prior to purchasing a ticket.

Let's put your hypocrisy to the test. Are you willing to have someone dictate to you what is or is not allowed on your own property? Are you willing to turn over your rights to your own property to someone else? Hmmm, I didn't think so.

https://www.ipscell.com/wp-co...
  • Jiorgia TheBorg 2012/06/26 07:22:16
    Jiorgia
    On your private property, which you own privately, you have the right to do as you wish, a publicly listed company (southwest) has to abide by public laws and last i checked, consumer discrimination was a no-no.

if southwest was a privately owned company, then it would be different.
  • TheBorg Jiorgia 2012/06/27 02:34:10
    TheBorg
    Publicly listed companies means the public can buy shares of their stock. So if you want to argue that a shareholder should be the one to dictate to the company what is acceptable dress, that would at least make more sense than your assertion that anyone can wear whatever they want on board an airplane because it is the ticket holder who gets to decided what is proper dress and behavior for themselves.

dress assertion wear board airplane ticket holder proper dress behavior
  • Bocephus 2012/06/24 20:52:55
  • Angie 2012/06/24 20:11:43
    Angie
    +2
    Considering TSA agents molest people and show naked pictures of them on the cancer machine they call a full body scanner... If someone decides to get on the plane in a bikini (or their underwear), it's less offensive than "pat-downs" and full body scans.
  • Cleaver62 2012/06/24 19:32:07
    Cleaver62
    +2
    Cleavage is something there should be more of, not less. The last time I looked there wasn't a dress code to fly. Unless they state that there is a dress code before the tickets are purchased, they should not be able to stop anyone from flying.
  • Skeptikat Cleaver62 2012/06/25 13:16:02 (edited)
  • Cleaver62 Skeptikat 2012/06/25 18:06:53
    Cleaver62
    +1
    Two thumbs up... way up... hey... wait a minute... that's not my thumb
  • Skeptikat Cleaver62 2012/06/25 18:20:12
  • Cleaver62 Skeptikat 2012/06/25 21:57:33
    Cleaver62
    +1
    I may be a tree hugging crazy left wing liberal democratic socialist commie bastard, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the finer things in life.
  • Grammar... Cleaver62 2012/06/25 15:38:11
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    I agree with you 100% on both your points.
  • belle 2012/06/24 18:55:17
    belle
    +6
    if she had been a celebrity , they would have said nothing,

pam anderson dolly parton
  • Gothic.Dan 2012/06/24 18:31:31
    Gothic.Dan
    +3
    The ariline was totally unjustified in what they said!!!!
  • Zuggi 2012/06/24 17:52:20
    Zuggi
    +3
    I mean, if she were millimeters from showing nipplage, that'd be one thing. But that picture? Freak out much?
  • Cleaver62 Zuggi 2012/06/24 19:33:33
    Cleaver62
    +2
    A little nippalage never hurt anyone...
  • Danale 2012/06/24 17:33:48
    Danale
    +6
    If the woman was a gorgeous Model with the same about of cleavage it wouldn't be a problem...
  • Koatz 2012/06/24 16:32:10
    Koatz
    +3
    Southwest Airlines has already passed the threshold that renders it an unacceptable airline on which to travel.

2014/10/24 08:39:17