Solid brick houses can last for 200 years if maintained. Why don't we build out of brick more, instead of wood? Wouldn't it be more environmentally sensible?

flaca BN-0 2009/04/02 04:25:52
Stick built seems so lightweight and temporary to me. I miss brick houses. Does anyone know why we don't make brick homes?

• 1088799 2009/04/02 06:11:13
    it's because..........
    1088799
    +6
    Bricks are more expensive. There aren't very many "all-wood" houses being constructed anymore, anyway; most use cheap-a** plastic siding, even homes that run upwards of 250K. Bricklayers are also more expensive and time-consuming to employ.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer a house with a brick exterior myself, but simple economics is why they aren't more common nowadays.

• Alien Ramone 2009/05/13 06:35:57
    Alien Ramone
    I live in an aluminum sided wood framed home, but I wish I lived in a reinforced concrete earth sheltered home. It would cost almost nothing to heat and cool. It would be more environmentally sensible than a brick home, and even more disaster resistant:
    sheltered home cost heat cool environmentally brick home disaster resistant
  • concerned 2009/04/06 20:15:48
    concerned
    +1
    you should have ask bush that question he was the one that started building all these new homes that can not be sold right now
  • stitzcrew concerned 2010/07/06 04:32:34
    stitzcrew
    +2
    I am sure it is Bush and not the mortgage companies that qualified everyone and their mother to to buy houses with an income that couldn't support them. When the lenders loosened restrictions the demand for homes rocketed and therefore builders built all of these houses to meet the demand.

Yes builders are in it to make a profit but they are only going to build a house that is likely to sell or one built to suit. The name of the game in new/used homes is ppsf or price per square foot. Buyers want more space with the sacrifice of extras like brick/granite/hardwoods etc. A house with a brick or stone exterior raises the ppsf and therefore the overall price of similar sized homes.

I have witnessed an F4 tornado personally and nothing outside of solid concrete would stand a chance of a direct hit. Brick homes on a slab have much greater strength than a brick home on a crawl space. Although brick is stronger under most severe weather, its resistance to sun,rain, and snow is far superior than wood siding.

Hardiplank aka cement board siding is a great product that provides a much more expensive look to vinyl siding and just as weather resistant. You can also get it in a variety of colors that do not require painting like conventional wood siding.
  • concerned stitzcrew 2010/07/16 01:24:57
    concerned
    Bush made sure him and congress when it was all republican congress that all banks and corporations made money .. and the little people paid the cost ...
  • tarkeg 2009/04/04 03:58:12
    it's because..........
    tarkeg
    +1
    brick is more costly, and in the effort to make folks happy, homes are built cookie cutter style and with a lot of pre fab junk used which is less time consuming to construct and yes unfortunately- less sturdy/reliable. built cookie cutter style pre fab junk consuming construct sturdyreliable
  • kevracer 2009/04/03 20:44:49
    idk good question
    kevracer
    +1
    but I am not sure about how much carbon is generated firing kilns for bricks
  • crsone 2009/04/03 20:14:52
    crsone
    +1
    But I certainly know the answer for any area prone to earthquakes -- brick falls down during earthquakes, while wood bends as the earth shakes.
  • THFAN 2009/04/03 03:52:05
    it's because..........
    THFAN
    +1
    The expense?? Not everyone can afford brick. Wood isn't terribly cheap anymore either.
  • moomoof 2009/04/03 00:57:38
    it's because..........
    moomoof
    +1
    i odnt know in puerto rico is all made of brick or cement and it outlast any weather condition really
  • IKnowwhoyouare 2009/04/03 00:28:46
    it's because..........
    IKnowwhoyouare
    +1
    earthquakes destroy them
  • Roxie 2009/04/02 20:59:46
    idk good question
    Roxie
    +1
    I like bricks!
    Could it be that house builders are cheap and greedy!
  • Mrs. V 2009/04/02 20:11:53
    Mrs. V
    +1
    Most houses in the south are brick. At least where I am from. We have lots of clay here.
  • tripp'68 2009/04/02 17:17:19
    it's because..........
    tripp'68
    +1
    Building a brick home is like building a home twice, and the brick exterior is much pricier than other forms of siding. Labor and material expenses are the primary reason for the lack of brick homes in modern construction today.
    As a carpenter I am all for the third 'lil pig philosophy, I dream of building a home from granite and old growth redwood, that kind of home will last a very long time. One that could be passed on to multiple generations.
  • RENEGADE 34 2009/04/02 15:20:38
    it's because..........
    RENEGADE 34
    +1
    My house built in 1935 is brick 12" thick walls, 12" ceilings and the ceiling is 18" thick steel renforced concret, clear span. The savings over the years in less heating and cooling, all inside walls are glazed block, also now maintiance cost, no siding, no painting, all windows are glass block or double pane argon filled. It was "Green" back then. I bought it becouse I remembered the 3 little pigs story. Sound proof, fire proof,mold proof, small arms fire proof. Estamaited replacement cost, 1 million. and it is only 40' by 62" It is all about cost. Even tree huggers live in wood homes.
  • Lisa 2009/04/02 14:49:44
    it's because..........
    Lisa
    Several reasons... One major reason is cost. Brick is expensive, although I agree and like the look.... Wood is used amongst other materials in my home state of California because of the weather. In an earthquake, the structure should sway, not crumble. There are many reasons, and some are just a matter of taste. I live in Florida, and there isn't a lot of brick. I personally like the old homes in Connecticut. My favorites...
    crumble reasons taste live florida brick personally homes connecticut favorites
  • gfreeman BN-0 2009/04/02 14:44:27
    it's because..........
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    I would say price. To build a truly 'all brick' home, you need a lot of bricks. You would lose a lot of square footage, because the base of the walls would have to be about 3 feet thick in order to withstand the load of the wall. Today's brick houses are stick built, the brick is just a facade.
  • ishqboli 2009/04/02 13:57:20
    it's because..........
    ishqboli
    +1
    earthquakes
  • SpiritualEyes 2009/04/02 13:26:27
    idk good question
    SpiritualEyes
    Probably because the people building the houses aren't the ones living in the houses. They mass mass produce these houses for everyone else, then they make the money to build themselves brick houses.
  • bob 2009/04/02 13:10:12
    it's because..........
    bob
    +2
    Having built over 1,000 houses the answer is :
    a) brick costs $16-$24 sq/ft (installed) vs $2-$5 for other exterior cladding...it is an option 99% of people pass on in favor of other amenities instead
    b) The wood used in building mostly comes private tree farms that are ecologically conscience and is renewable
    c) over time at lot of things deteriorate w/in a house...brick really doesn't last longer (since brick and mortar do absorb water the freeze/thaw cycle is quite destructive) and is costlier to repair...if there is a problem and there will be eventually.
    d) there are materials and building techniques that under mine the assumption of brick lasting longer
    Finally, I like the look better so it made the cut in the budget priorities for the three houses I've built for myself.

PS. apologies for the technical pontificating
  • scotty 2009/04/02 12:55:58
    it's because..........
    scotty
    +4
    more expensive and takes longer.

i like this stuff myself:

expensive

you've got forms for the walls which are styrofoam, and you fill them with a mixture of concrete and foam. it has a really high r value and is very strong. you can build the basic walls of the house in just a few days. and it is seriously anchored to the slab, which means much better resistance to hurricane or tornado:

build basic walls house days anchored slab resistance hurricane tornado
  • flaca BN-0 scotty 2009/04/02 21:36:07
    flaca BN-0
    I like that too, but even that is expensive.
  • scotty flaca BN-0 2009/04/02 21:42:57
    scotty
    actually not. it is 15% more than stick framing. the main problem is, inside, people like soft walls where they can hang pictures, run wires, etc. so people usually attach sheetrock to the inside of it. you can actually cut channels for wires with a chainsaw (or reciprocating saw). it is possible the insulative properties will pay for the additional expense over time.

one problem, though, is the stuff is airtight. houses need to breath. and so you have to design in positive ventilation system somehow.
  • ctuagentdown 2009/04/02 12:47:18
    it's because..........
    ctuagentdown
    the really rich seem to have brick mansions so the answer might be money
  • Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm 2009/04/02 12:46:04
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    Even if the house has a brick exterior, the structure is more than likely made of wood. The brick as a veneer for looks.
  • Congrats Obama! 2009/04/02 12:34:43
    it's because..........
    Congrats Obama!
    Greed.
  • explorer1618 2009/04/02 11:38:30
    explorer1618
    +1
    Brick homes are very exspensive and a somewhat limited way to live " no color changes " ! There are so many alternatives which need to be looked at, some are very green like recycled plastics, foam reinforced blocks, even glass ! Bricks are a very good material and eco-friendly so I am undecided. recycled plastics foam reinforced blocks glass bricks material eco-friendly undecided
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2009/04/02 11:25:58
    idk good question
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +2
    I don't know. Brick houses would do well in Northern CA where I live where the temperature changes a lot during the course of the day. They hold heat well. But they are expensive and there's not much clay around here. Also - wood is renewable, clay is mined and is nonrenewable. The process for making bricks is extremely energy intensive also. So I'm not sure they are better for the environment,
  • Moderated 2009/04/02 11:18:44
    it's because..........
    Moderated
    +1
    Our economy is so greedy, that building a brick, low maintenance house would mean the greedy contractors/retailers would lose profit.
  • ...... 2009/04/02 10:45:35
    it's because..........
    ......
    +2
    Growing up I lived in an big old wooden house and I loved it. When I was in sixth grade my parents moved into a brick house. My bedroom was always SO cold. It didn't hold the heat in well. Brick houses attract Spiders and what not too, ick.
  • spacehawk 2009/04/02 09:26:09
    it's because..........
    spacehawk
    +1
    Wooden houses are better to contain heat. They are better insulated and save energy.
  • PC 2009/04/02 06:51:21
    PC
    Built in obsolesce! built obsolesce
  • herb 2009/04/02 06:22:03
    it's because..........
    herb
    +3
    There's a lot of money invested in disposable houses. If you build a house to last, what are the contractors going to do? Nah, you build shit houses that'll fall apart in ten years so people have more houses to build.

That being said, I'm thinking of a timber-frame straw bale house. Relatively cheap and time-tested for centuries (then known as "wattle and daub").
  • Körïnthïän 2009/04/02 06:15:22
    Körïnthïän
    +3
    You USAders don't seem to build houses that last at all.

My parents live in a wood house that's 100 years old and it'll most likely be there in another 100 years.
  • scotty Körïnthïän 2009/04/02 13:03:59
    scotty
    +1
    well, the diff is a team of 5 people can raise a stick frame house in about 2 days. the frame on your house probably took a lot longer because it uses real fitted jointing instead of nails. very labor intensive, very craftsman-like, much like building fine furniture. amish houses are built this way.
  • Sasssy 2009/04/02 06:14:17
    Sasssy
    I don't know. 20 years ago when I was looking to purchase a house I looked for brick. In Florida they have wood and cinder block. Of course I have cinder block. It's still standing sturdy through all the hurricanes.

On the other hand, the houses in the gated communities that were brick on the bottom and wood and the second floor didn't last threw hurricane Andrew in 1992.
  • 1088799 2009/04/02 06:11:13
    it's because..........
    1088799
    +6

• 168290 2009/04/02 06:04:47
  • idk good question
    мυzιк.jυηкιε™ [ιη мy вιтcнεs ι тяυsт!]
    maybe becuz bricks r more
    expensive and it would take
    more bricks to build a home
    than it would lumber, hence
    y brick houses r more
    expensive that wooden ones,
    i'm guessing...
  • KODA 2009/04/02 05:02:12
    it's because..........
    KODA
    we are stimulating the economy !! ;)
    Thatch House's have lasted over 600 years
  • Cutterjohn 2009/04/02 04:58:10 (edited)
    idk good question
    Cutterjohn
    +2
    We live in a brick home it's very well insulated and seems to hold the heat and cool air very well. I would guess that brick is more expensive to build than wood

insulated hold heat cool air guess brick expensive build wood

2014/04/21 12:23:00