Soldier wounded in Iraq receives $3000 medical bill for surgery. How ridiculous is this?!

Anjirocks 2009/03/29 00:13:40
These guys are risking their lives every day, it's probably the most honourable job anyone can have. Yet he's expected to pay for surgery for an injury he encountered in the line of duty?!

Article:

Erik Roberts, an Army sergeant who was wounded in Iraq, underwent his 13th surgery recently to save his right leg from amputation. Imagine his shock when he got a bill for $3,000 for his treatment.

Army Sgt. Erik Roberts was badly wounded in Iraq with two comrades in April 2006.

1 of 3 "I just thought it was bull---- that I'm getting billed for being wounded in Iraq doing my job. I always put the mission first, and now that I was wounded in Iraq, they're sending me bills," he said.

"I put my life on the line and I was wounded in combat, and I came back and they're not going to take care of my medical bills?"

It's a level of outrage shared by his mother, as well as the doctor who performed the surgery.

"It's hard to understand why we're not taking care of guys like Erik whose injuries are clearly related to their service. They deserve the best care of anybody," said Dr. William Obremskey, an Air Force veteran and surgeon at Vanderbilt Orthopaedics in Nashville, Tennessee.

"For him to be responsible for $3,000, I think, is a little ridiculous or is uncalled for, particularly in this situation."

His mother, Robin Roberts, put it more succinctly: "Why should any soldier pay one penny of a medical bill from injuries that occurred while they were fighting in a war? That's what really frustrates me."

The Department of Veterans Affairs has now decided to pay his bill, but only after prodding from a U.S. senator who got involved after CNN brought it to his attention.

Roberts, of Warren, Ohio, is one of more than 31,100 U.S. troops to have been wounded in Iraq. An additional 4,262 have died in the war.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/26/wounded.warrior/index.html?e...

• Rchl 2009/03/29 02:42:53
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    Rchl
    +8
    In my opinion they are there protecting us every day and they shouldn't have to pay a dime!!! That is just sad and pathetic

• libby.harvey1 2013/04/20 04:19:32 (edited)
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    libby.harvey1
    +2
    Absolutely insane! I come from a country where the average person doesn't have to pay these cost let alone our soldiers. For anyone interested please look up Australian Healthcare system / Australian Medicare. Then urge your government to follow suit! I have no insurance or any need for it, because if I'm injured, get cancer, and the like I won't have to pay a cent. If something does require payment such as a non emergency procedure it's at less than a fraction of the cost Americans would pay. To give you an idea I had two non life threatening hernias operated on and it cost me $360-. However if those hernias were worse it would have been free, I just paid to have it done so I wouldn't lose my fitness as they did prevent excersize. But just to emphasize, anything that is debilitating or life threatening whether it be injury, trauma or disease is treated for free!!
  • Risa 2009/10/04 04:00:40
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    Risa
    +1
    I am so mad about this matter, help??? Why we treat our beloved solider so bad??? This gentleman save our lives and country...my take and opinion...
    ( I do miss you Rchl...I just come back and hope you and yours are doing welll...Love Risa )
  • Kyra 2009/04/06 21:11:13
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    Kyra
    +2
    My firend in the army told me there is a list of payment for each injury....such as...you lose an arm you get $20,000...a leg is $50,000. Lose your life, your mom/wife gets $500,000 grand. Ask any mom if $500,000 grand is worth your childs life. When I asked my friend if that would be enough for his mothers pain and suffering from losing you? he said "my mom could buy a house"...I wanted to slap the stupid right out of him.
  • Anjirocks Kyra 2009/04/17 16:09:42
    Anjirocks
    +2
    wow, you can't put a price on a life!
  • Breezy 2009/04/02 05:54:12 (edited)
    Breezy
    +3
    OUTRAGE! Good God everyone that works at least, has worker comp I could write a book

God Bless our Veterans!
    God Bless America!
  • BRADY969 2009/04/01 15:40:41 (edited)
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    BRADY969
    +3
    I want to throw up...pretty fucking sad! Meanwhile anyone who works for the government is fullt insured! HOW DOES THAT WORK!?!?!? wHAT NEXT? wILL THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR OWN WEAPONS?
  • I want to be Free! 2009/04/01 07:01:46
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    I want to be Free!
    +2
    So, our soldiers can risk their lives, and yet the gov't won't pay for it? What is going on with our gov't? This is sad! Our soldiers are risking everything, and yet our gov't will not take care of their own. THis is sad!
  • ಌMiss Ranaಌ 2009/03/31 06:45:19
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    ಌMiss Ranaಌ
    +3
    Has he torn up the bill yet, or has he sent it to his boss?
  • Anjirocks ಌMiss R... 2009/03/31 20:01:53
    Anjirocks
    +3
    it says: "The Department of Veterans Affairs has now decided to pay his bill, but only after prodding from a U.S. senator who got involved after CNN brought it to his attention." so at least he didn't have to pay it.
  • ಌMiss R... Anjirocks 2009/04/01 06:46:33
    ಌMiss Ranaಌ
    +3
    Excellent...
  • NattiFan (oYo) 2009/03/30 18:43:20
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    NattiFan (oYo)
    +3
    That's a bunch of shit
  • Cloudburst 2009/03/30 15:30:52
    Actually it makes sense because... (put your reason/opinion here. this isn't ...
    Cloudburst
    +3
    That's what our healthcare system is like. Don't mess with something that works!
    Or am I just taking a conservative point of view too far?
  • libby.h... Cloudburst 2013/04/20 04:09:12 (edited)
    libby.harvey1
    +1
    I'm an Australian, I don't pretend to know fully the American health care system but I know many Americans find it unaffordable if you don't have insurance. In Australia, we can opt for private health simply for benefits and families who know they will be needing costly items such as glasses, dental, chiro etc. However if you are sick, have a disease and the like, you receive treatment for free no matter who you are or what level of insurance you do or don't have. The only thing that you pay for here is elective surgeries and so forth. I can get cancer and know I won't have to pay a cent, my appendix could burst and I won't have to pay a cent, injure myself at work and not pay a cent. Our soldiers can come home from war with injuries and mental health issues and be fully treated without having to pay a cent! So now you know what healthcare is like In Another country, are you still sure your system works??? Personally I think not.
  • ~NJGranny~ 2009/03/30 14:07:06
    Really ridiculous!
    ~NJGranny~
    +3
    We ask them to risk their lives and this is what they get in return. This is so wrong.
    This shouldn't be a case of out of network expense. If they need to see a specialist that isn't a VA Dr, then the cost of that visit and any other treament by that Dr should be covered.
  • Foo Master Angie 2009/03/30 13:26:43
    Really ridiculous!
    Foo Master Angie
    +3
    Unfortunately, the VA is an overburdened system which gets little help in improving. I've heard horror stories about the VA, but I've also heard really good things about the VA.
    Before focusing on a socialized health care system, this country really should work to get the VA in order, so that it can be better equipped to handle all those soldiers that Obama promised to bring home....
  • NotWithoutAFight 2009/03/30 13:18:06
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    NotWithoutAFight
    +3
    No excuse whatsoever for this.

You shouldn't have to prod them to pay with a threat from a representative.
  • Clarky 2009/03/30 12:57:17
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    Clarky
    +3
    I am in the military and sometimes if you get medical attention off base you get sent a bill and you have to turn it in so it can get paid. But sometimes the system is not full proof. But this is outrageous!
  • sandy60 2009/03/30 11:25:33
    Really ridiculous!
    sandy60
    +2
    Ah, the hypocrisy of our government re war...go kill, get wounded...on your dime....He is a vet and this should be free. If the VA couldn't treat him, then they needed to refer out and then pay for it.
  • scotty 2009/03/30 04:29:38
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    scotty
    +3
    my brother in law had to buy his own armor ($3,000), because what the army gave him was crap.
  • Körïnthïän 2009/03/30 01:49:38
    Körïnthïän
    +4
    Did he have insurance? I've heard that's the way it works in the states.
  • Anjirocks Körïnthïän 2009/03/30 01:57:07
    Anjirocks
    +3
    it doesn't say. i've heard that's the way it works too but i think that if he was injured doing his job he shouldn't have to pay the bill... then again what do you expect if you join the army... all the same i'd have thought the military would be one of those employers that includes health insurance.
  • Körïnthïän Anjirocks 2009/03/30 02:25:32
    Körïnthïän
    +3
    Yeah, but common sense doesn't seem to apply. One example of that is that woman that scalded herself on a hot cup of coffee and got $100k for it.
  • Breezy Körïnthïän 2009/04/02 05:58:55
    Breezy
    +1
    No, that was appealed, she didn't get it.
  • Körïnthïän Breezy 2009/04/03 00:23:09
  • oldsalt Anjirocks 2009/03/30 20:55:25
    oldsalt
    +1
    during active or reserve duty, members are 100% covered, but when they get out they have to, or should have tom go to the VA. WTF is that wise ass comment about what do you expect if you join the military; MILITARY PEOPLE ARE OWED THIS CARE1
  • Anjirocks oldsalt 2009/03/30 21:08:39
    Anjirocks
    +1
    ah, thanks for the info.

it wasn't a wise ass comment, i too believe that they are owed medical care for their service, just pointing out that in that job you can't expect never to get hurt.
  • scotty Körïnthïän 2009/03/30 04:31:29
    scotty
    +2
    i think soldiers don't have insurance per se, that's what the va (verterans affairs) hospitals are for.
  • Rchl scotty 2009/04/02 06:41:57
    Rchl
    +2
    Have you ever been to a VA Hospital?
  • scotty Rchl 2009/04/02 12:27:44
    scotty
    +2
    nope, but i've heard about it from a good friend who has. run around city, hurry up and wait, and that's good enough.
  • scotty Rchl 2009/04/02 12:29:45
    scotty
    +2
    i don't quite understand, either, why a va hospital, a big expensive thing, not that many of them, is better than just giving the soldiers paid health insurance good anywhere. why should a friend in some bum-f*ck small town have to take a 2 hour drive to see a government doctor who yawns at her problem when she should be able to see her town doctor right where she is?
  • Rchl scotty 2009/04/02 14:29:31
    Rchl
    +3
    VA Hospitals are pretty much doctors in practice, the ones I've seen are nasty they treat them like crap, and really could careless what happens to them, I've seen many times people come in very sick and as soon as they find out what their ins is they are told they HAVE to be treated at a VA hospital which was about 3 to 4 hrs away for some, they would not be taken by ambulance they had to find someone to take them or take a cab, it was really sad, at times I wouldn't even give the ins information until the last minute so they could get treated or at least stabilized, it's really sad how they are treated
  • sandy60 Körïnthïän 2009/03/30 11:27:02
    sandy60
    +1
    Vet's are supposed to get free health care if they use Veteran Administration services. If they don't well then, they are on their own.
  • Rchl sandy60 2009/04/02 14:31:34
    Rchl
    +3
    Most of the time they have no way to get to a VA hospital, some are hours away, and they have to be basically on their death bed before any other hospital will treat them, their ins for ex Champus or Tricare should be accepted any place not just a VA Hospital they aren't experiments
  • sandy60 Rchl 2009/04/03 01:37:33
    sandy60
    +2
    Excellent point!
  • Rchl sandy60 2009/04/03 03:21:59
    Rchl
    +3
    It is really sad, there is nothing worse than telling someone they can't treat you, you will have to find a ride to the closest VA hospital that is if they have room, one guy came in and he was deaf due to his injury and had no idea what insurance he had I knew what they would do so I only gave them his Medicare card then after treatment I told them his other, it was too late by then but he took a cab to the hospital and i was not about to turn him away that is just cruel
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2009/03/30 00:22:08
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +3
    If this is true, then it's an abomination. It's hard enough as it is, to find people willing to risk their lives to defend our country. To make them foot the bill for it is unthinkable.
  • Körïnthïän moorrbr... 2009/03/30 01:51:23
    Körïnthïän
    +4
    Socialist.
  • julie sossaman 2009/03/29 20:08:15
    Really ridiculous!
    julie sossaman
    +2
    what did obama place a price on body parts dumb ass
  • Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~ 2009/03/29 17:59:42
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~
    +2
    It's bad enough he was nearly killed fighting a pointless war.
  • DaveInNH 2009/03/29 17:38:29
    Really really really ridiculous!!!
    DaveInNH
    +3
    This type of thing is really no surprise. The VA is a government organization, run by government bureaucrats. The people in charge are less concerned with serving veterans than getting their political tickets punched. This is probably the result of some semi-retarded VA administrator attempting to save the government money.

Remember the story from a couple weeks ago that Obama wanted to charge wounded Veteran's insurance for treatment of service connected disabilities? Who needs a law when you can just instruct the heads of government agencies to carry out your plan?

2014/12/18 13:32:09