SODAHEAD BRIEF: Have Voters Taken Control Of Their Parties?

Edward Barrera 2010/05/19 13:59:32
Yes, voters, regardless of party, are tired of being ignored.
No, voter anger will subside by the November elections.
I think ...
For party-backed candidates this election season, the warning is clear: Be prepared to pack your bags. In the wake of recent eviction notices given to career politicians in Utah and West Virginia, Tuesday's primaries once again highlight voter unrest and the ebbing power of party politics.

Sen. Arlen Specter lost in Pennsylvania even though the once-Republican now-Democrat was recruited and backed by the establishment and President Obama. Specter, seeking his sixth term, but first as Democrat, lost to two-term Rep. Joe Sestak. Having run as an outsider, Sestak said his "win for the people over the establishment, over the status quo, even over Washington, D.C."

Kentucky Republicans chose Tea Party favorite Rand Paul - the son of Texas Rep. Ron Paul, whose 2008 presidential candidacy sparked legions of followers - as their nominee for the Senate seat being vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Jim Bunning. Tea party activists lifted Paul to victory over Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who was the favored candidate of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

In Arkansas, voters forced Democratic Sen. Blanche Lincoln into a run-off. Tuesday's primaries came a little less than five months before the midterm elections. Wonder what will happen then?

Read More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PRIMARY_...

• Jaxxi 2010/05/19 17:12:15 (edited)
    I think ...
    Jaxxi
    +7
    First, let's take back our government--THEN we can worry about the parties. DIVIDED WE FALL--think about it...

• Louisa ... Red Branch 2010/05/19 18:26:19
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +4
    lol.....there are going to be long unemployment lines! I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!!
  • lalouis... Red Branch 2010/05/20 13:34:18
    lalouisiane
    Exactly, we need conservative, Constitution loving people representing us.

And we need to keep booting them out until we find some who will do the job.
  • lalouis... Louisa ... 2010/05/20 13:32:58
    lalouisiane
    +1
    The Republicans need to grow a spine for sure. I am hopeful that the Tea Party will force them to do what is right.

When I heard that Steele was taking over the RNC... I was shocked!!! I mean.. could you tell anybody had been on charge? I couldn't. I had no idea the RNC HAD a leader.

The Democrats are even worse.

I am very hopeful that the Tea Party will force BOTH major parties to do what is right for a change.
  • Louisa ... lalouis... 2010/05/20 22:20:36
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    lol....I like your comment. For either the left or the right to believe that their party is without sin is a clear indication of having their heads in the sand!

We might simplify this by just saying, "remove the corrupted politicians from congress!"
  • lalouis... Louisa ... 2010/05/21 16:01:17
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Yes and all the Democrats. LOL, I'm pertty anti Democrat. But yes, definitely some Republicans need to go too.

And hopefully, they will.
  • 2468 2010/05/19 15:38:03
    2468
    +2
    Campaign finance reform will take the corrupting money out of elections.
    Limit the elections to a set period of time, have public debates and a place for them to post their positions.

Stop the corrupting influence of big money and get back to voting for what is in the best interest of the people and the country.

The money spent will be saved if we can avoid a financial melt down again, or an oil spill, or any of the many other things that have bit us by bowing to the big money and lobbyists.

Who is your lobbyist?

I don't have one.
  • behavioralcognivitist 2010/05/19 15:37:55
    behavioralcognivitist
    +2
    The voters are coming to grips with the reality that our political and governmental system is not very accountable to the majority which is for the most part politically moderate, middle-class people. The danger here is centralization of power! We as a people cannot cede too much authority over to any one group or institution, be they government or corporations, foreign government, and so on. We need to get the statists and corporatists out and replace them with representatives who do their bidding for the well-being of us all.
  • Green 2010/05/19 15:31:53 (edited)
    Green
    FYI, we want you gone.

Ok, so my answer was more wishful thinking. I think people will believe their party when those in office blame it on the other party and keep voting as they have been.
  • tooner259 2010/05/19 15:21:49
    tooner259
    +2
    The voters think they have regained some control.The system is so corrupt and deeply entrenched it`ll take more than a few crumbs tossed to the voters to make any real change.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2010/05/19 15:12:42
    Artist~PWCM~
    +3
    Get ready, here We come!
  • jimmy Artist~... 2010/05/19 15:18:35
    jimmy
    yepper
  • Chris 2010/05/19 15:03:40
    I think ...
    Chris
    +4
    It would be great to replace every single one of them with freshmen, businessmen and business women, maybe no more lawyers as they are just sneaky. In MY opinion to be a great lawyer you have to be able to LIE and convincingly to so I say no more lawyers!
  • Gary Chris 2010/05/19 17:14:17
    Gary
    75% of the men who signed of the Declaration of Independence were lawyers.

All liars?

Grow up!
  • Chris Gary 2010/05/19 17:34:20
    Chris
    +2
    I was referring to the current bunch.
  • Chris Gary 2010/05/20 18:32:36
    Chris
    There were 56 signers of The Declaration of Independence, 25 were lawyers so that makes 45% as lawyers, not 75%. Just thought I would point that out.
  • Bonboyl Chris 2010/05/20 02:42:33
    Bonboyl
    Definitely no more lawyers.
  • Eagle has Landed 2010/05/19 14:57:28 (edited)
    I think ...
    Eagle has Landed
    +4
    It would appear that voters on both sides are equally burned over the Washington establishment and both partys'.

2014/04/18 18:34:33