SODAHEAD BRIEF: Have Voters Taken Control Of Their Parties?

Edward Barrera 2010/05/19 13:59:32
For party-backed candidates this election season, the warning is clear: Be prepared to pack your bags. In the wake of recent eviction notices given to career politicians in Utah and West Virginia, Tuesday's primaries once again highlight voter unrest and the ebbing power of party politics.

Sen. Arlen Specter lost in Pennsylvania even though the once-Republican now-Democrat was recruited and backed by the establishment and President Obama. Specter, seeking his sixth term, but first as Democrat, lost to two-term Rep. Joe Sestak. Having run as an outsider, Sestak said his "win for the people over the establishment, over the status quo, even over Washington, D.C."

Kentucky Republicans chose Tea Party favorite Rand Paul - the son of Texas Rep. Ron Paul, whose 2008 presidential candidacy sparked legions of followers - as their nominee for the Senate seat being vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Jim Bunning. Tea party activists lifted Paul to victory over Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who was the favored candidate of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

In Arkansas, voters forced Democratic Sen. Blanche Lincoln into a run-off. Tuesday's primaries came a little less than five months before the midterm elections. Wonder what will happen then?

Read More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PRIMARY_...

• Jaxxi 2010/05/19 17:12:15 (edited)
    I think ...
    Jaxxi
    +7
    First, let's take back our government--THEN we can worry about the parties. DIVIDED WE FALL--think about it...

• Gail_at_21 2010/05/23 13:54:18
    I think ...
    Gail_at_21
    This is something we will never see on the MSM or hear from our White House as they continue with the smoke and mirrors and misdirecting the people and our country.
  • Wayne 2010/05/21 01:35:50
    Yes, voters, regardless of party, are tired of being ignored.
    Wayne
    +1
    We have and will continue to send them the message until they understand they work for all Americans and not special interest and themselves!
  • Boon 2010/05/20 23:39:37
    I think ...
    Boon
    +1
    Conservative party politics will stay the same, if the ads use the catch words like abortion, lower taxes, immigration, liberal or Obama then screw the real issues or the truth. The blind leading the blind.
  • very Conservative "me" 2010/05/20 22:15:08
    very Conservative "me"
    I believe this to be so, and to back that up I pray to God it is also.
  • Michael 2010/05/20 17:24:57 (edited)
    I think ...
    Michael
    +1
    What Chech Republic leaders think about America (and I think that opinion is shared by most other countries):

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president.

The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."
  • Fox13_spydr 2010/05/20 16:05:28
    Fox13_spydr
    The biggest problem is our goverment. Our parents and parents before them voted good people into office and expected them to follow there word. Over the years to my generations we had the same thoughts only the goverment members were changing and getting power hungry and lost what it meant to stand by your word and how powerful a handshake really was in the past.

We the people i think dont want to see our goverment fail we just want honest people that the best for our country and people and both futures in mind.
  • lalouisiane 2010/05/20 13:08:54
    lalouisiane
    +2
    I think our anger and disgust at being ignored by the people we put in office will continue to grow through November of this year and on into November of 2012.

They should have listened to the American people.

I think party is a lot less important to most of us now than getting some representatives elected who will listen and respond to us. That is their job, after all.
  • StarWarsBob 2010/05/20 09:29:19
    I think ...
    StarWarsBob
    1) Arlen Specter is 80 years old, and should have retired 6 years ago.
    2) While Rand Paul won an impressive victory, the Republican turnout in the primary in Kentucky was dismal. All six Republican candidates received 351,927 votes, while the five Democratic candidates received 520,412 votes, or 59.65% of all votes cast compared to the Republicans getting 40.34% of all primary votes, and Democratic candidates Jack Conway and Daniel Mongiardo both received more votes than Rand Paul received. Conway got 228,531 votes, Mongiardo got 224,989 votes, while Rand Paul only received 206,812 votes. Rand Paul is sure to lose in November to Jack Conway.
    http://results.enr.clarityele...
    3) In Arkansas, there were three Democratic candidates running, making it difficult for Blanch Lincoln to get the required 50% of the vote. She will win the nomination easily in June. The other factor is again the Republican turnout was more dismal than in Kentucky. All eight Republican candidates received 136,190 votes with 93% reporting, or about 30.95% of the vote, while the three Democratic candidates received 303,825 votes, or 69.04% of the vote.
    http://www.votenaturally.org/...
    http://www.votenaturally.org/...
    4) The real contest was the special election in the Pennsylvania 12th district. This district w...

http://results.enr.clarityele...
    http://www.votenaturally.org/...
    http://www.votenaturally.org/...
    4) The real contest was the special election in the Pennsylvania 12th district. This district went to John McCain last November, 2008. This was the seventh special election win by Democrats in the House since November, 2008, while the Republicans have gained one Senate seat in a special election in Massachusetts. There were 4 polls that were calling Tim Burns to win this election, while six polls were calling Mark Critz to win. The Democrat Mark Critz won with 52.6% of the vote, while Republican Tim Burns received 45.1%, or a difference of 7.5%.
    5) While in over 93% of all elections, the party that loses the Presidential election goes on to win decisive victories in the following midterms, yet currently the Democrats have an average 0.3% lead in all the polls for the midterms.
    http://www.realclearpolitics....
  • Blessed Sheep Gone Wild! 2010/05/20 06:04:41
    No, voter anger will subside by the November elections.
    Blessed Sheep Gone Wild!
    +1
    As much as the mantra of "wait til November" is repeated, It is still just the delusion of a small group of religious extremist that tend to yell and scream louder than the "real Americans." I would hope that real people of America (which are neither the Liberal or Conservative caricatures we are exposed to on our "news" and opinion bogs like this) would start voting out the extremist in our political system and get back to the business of being a Great Nation.
  • TruBluTopaz 2010/05/20 05:52:58
    I think ...
    TruBluTopaz
    voters are ready to have some scrutiny into where their votes are going. The days of talking the party line and safe seats for a lifetime are drawing to a close. I hope term limits come into reality very soon.
  • Adam Troy 2010/05/20 05:21:16
    I think ...
    Adam Troy
    Hello:

I think, as well as you will think, as I answer this question. 51% of the public, voters, was against his health care plan, yet, they, 219 voted for it. So! Who's in control. Bye: Adam Troy
  • ronbo 2010/05/20 04:12:26
    ronbo
    +1
    Folks are tired of the two-card monty and are in a mood for people who respect the Constitution and care about saving America. Don,t be surprised to see some third party and independent folks make it in this time.
  • deliber... ronbo 2010/05/21 03:25:18
    deliberation
    for Americas sake i hope so...two party political systems are not democratic
  • MarinerFH 2010/05/20 03:14:34
  • jerrbear 2010/05/20 03:11:22
    jerrbear
    +1
    I hope all of the career politicians get voted out this year and also in 2012!And I also hope that all the new politicians vote bach in term limits again. One can only hope here.
  • ɟʇʇoɔs 2010/05/20 02:54:55
    ɟʇʇoɔs
    +2
    It is time we take back Washington, and here in PA, that creep Arlen Specter getting das boot is great step in the right direction. I just have a complete distrust in most politicians, most of them are just the same.
  • MarinerFH ɟʇʇoɔs 2010/05/20 03:16:08
    +1
    I sincerely hope the voters are in full conytol
  • steven 2010/05/20 01:55:25
    steven
    +5
    The silent majority is no longer silent. Get used to it.
  • lalouis... steven 2010/05/20 13:35:34
    lalouisiane
    Amen. and now that we're awake... we won't go dozing again for some time.
  • Edward 2010/05/20 00:41:20
    Edward
    they sure need to be
  • voice_matters 2010/05/20 00:39:00
    I think ...
    voice_matters
    +1
    It is funny how only 3 incumbants have lost their chance for re-election so far. We will see in november if the voters are looking for a new change or business as always. Remember that over 80% of the US representaives are re-elected that have served 4 or more years. So far that percentage is looking like it will happen again this year. Specter was elected as a republican not a democrat so hard ot tell what support he had in the state when he never ran as a democrat before.
  • MarinerFH voice_m... 2010/05/20 03:17:29
  • TruBluT... voice_m... 2010/05/20 05:54:02 (edited)
    TruBluTopaz
    There really haven't been that many elections except special elections.Specter was a weasel that only changed parties because he was pissed off that he would lose his chairmanship if he stayed with the Republicans. Good riddance for all parties concerned.
  • Russ 2010/05/20 00:08:10
    Russ
  • Arizona1950 2010/05/19 23:55:09
    I think ...
    Arizona1950
    +2
    We still have a lot of work to do. November is just around the corner. I know this is hard to think about with summer still in front of us, but we must continue to get the word out at every chance we can find.

Progressive = big government = socialism = tyranny = servitude to the government
  • lalouis... Arizona... 2010/05/20 13:37:08
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Amen!!!
  • Arizona... lalouis... 2010/05/20 18:35:03
  • Yes, voters, regardless of party, are tired of being ignored.
    Яᴇv☠Doɴɴγ☠Dooᴍ☠Aɢɴosᴛɪc
    +1
    Both parties have had there time and failed.
  • voice_m... Яᴇv☠Doɴ... 2010/05/20 00:46:06
    voice_matters
    We will see in november if the voters agree with you, but seeing we only have republicans and democrats in congress i doubt that will change this year.
  • Nobody 2010/05/19 23:49:19
    Nobody
    +3
    I hope that this sends a message LOUD and clear to all of those that continue to think that we have to put up with DC's out of control liberal spending and this progressive power grab.

They will not control us...WE CONTROL THEM!

Here is your future DC...
    clear continue dcs liberal spending progressive power grab future dc
  • voice_m... Nobody 2010/05/20 00:47:25
    voice_matters
    The only message that is being sent is incumbants are safe.
  • Nobody voice_m... 2010/05/20 17:42:20
    Nobody
    Which ones? I think you must not keep up with the news...both GOP and dems are getting the boot!

Obama's support of democrats has got him a net gain of ZERO so he can't save them either!!!
  • voice_m... Nobody 2010/05/21 14:04:51
    voice_matters
    What a stupid post. so far only republicans and democrats have won elecions this year. So far there are no third party candidates that have made any noise about running for the house or senate in any state.
  • Nobody voice_m... 2010/05/21 17:37:46
    Nobody
    You must be brain dead not to understand that this is about getting the old worthless POS politicians out and getting somebody else into office...somebody that knows that being a crook will no longer be a life long job.
  • voice_m... Nobody 2010/05/21 18:56:04
    voice_matters
    So far only teh smae politicians are winning elected. when you find me someone that is not a republican or democrat winning let me know.
  • Nobody voice_m... 2010/05/21 21:19:54 (edited)
    Nobody
    I can't say it any slower for you...so you will need to read a little slower.

I said we are getting the old bastards out....new blood in...that goes for GOP and Dems. Read that as many times as you need to.

Everyone that Obama has tagged with his name has FAILED! So what point do you think you are making? You act like if you just say "it isn't so" that it will come true...WRONG!!!
  • voice_m... Nobody 2010/05/21 22:17:35
    voice_matters
    AND YET YOU CAN NOT NAME ME ANYONE THAT IS NOT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THAT HAS WON ANYTHING YET.
  • Nobody voice_m... 2010/05/22 00:19:49
    Nobody
    Because that isn't the point. What makes you think that your question has anything to do with what I said...or what this thread is about?
  • lalouis... Nobody 2010/05/20 13:37:56
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I hope they see it too. Because in the end, they're going to HAVE to see it.

2014/11/22 21:48:18