Socialist Hollande defeats Sarkozy to win French election: Is this what we can expect in the USA in November?

the_old_coach 2012/05/06 19:09:56
Hollande defeats Sarkozy to
win French election

François Hollande won the French
presidential election on Sunday, capturing more than 51 percent of the vote to
defeat incumbent Nicholas Sarkozy and become France's new president, according
French television.

Sarkozy, who has held the French presidency
since 2007, grabbed 48.1 percent, according to the polls.

Hollande, the 57-year-old socialist
challenger, narrowly edged Sarkozy in a preliminary election two weeks ago, but
since he did not win with an absolute majority, France law required a runoff
between the top two candidates.

Sunday's victory means France will have its
first Socialist president since since Francois Mitterrand, the country's
president from 1981 to 1995. In voting Sarkozy out of office, French voters
expressed their discontent over Europe's debt crisis.

French television declared the election for
Hollande immediately after the polls closed Sunday. Moments later, Sarkozy told
his supporters that he called Holland to congratulate him, and to concede
victory.

"I take the responsibility for this loss,"
Sarkozy said. "I'm ready to become a French person among French people, and more
than ever I have the love for my country deeply ingrained in my heart."

Hollande's victory could have far-reaching
implications on Europe's debt woes.
According to the Associated Press, Hollande has promised a
75-percent income tax on the rich and "wants to re-negotiate a European treaty
on trimming budgets to avoid more debt crises of the kind facing Greece."

"It's going to be a long day," Hollande
told reporters as he left a polling station earlier in the day. Sarkozy, with
his wife, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, by his side, voted in Paris, but did not speak to
television reporters.

"There will be a handover of power,"
Sarkozy said Friday when asked if what would happen if he lost. "The nation is
stronger than the destiny of the men who serve it."

• ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/05/06 20:46:22
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +3
    Damn, I hope the president is reelected. Hollande will push for a stimulus and get away from the austerity measures. Repugs should learn from France. Austerity = depression. Our ONLY hope is with President Obama for the next four years.

• Gloria 2012/05/07 11:55:36 (edited)
    Gloria
    +1
    My friends in France celebrated with champaign. BTW before anyone does a go off about stereotypical go off on the French my friends are work, pay taxes, are highly educated, & live an extremely good life.
    The French election was reactionary to Sarkozy. Our election can go the same way but I doubt it. We all the know the party of no too well.
  • Ginger Gloria 2012/06/04 21:26:31
    Ginger
    Your friends are exceptions , i dont wish this result will happen in US . Its not Hollande who won , its Sarkozy who lost , thats the only reason Hollande had the majority . French are never satisfied and retry socialism which already didnt work but french are strong to forget what happened .
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/05/07 07:47:28
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    I voted for Hollande, and our new president will take the lead in pushing for a stimulus, not just in France, but in the whole European Union.
  • Technotrucker_exposingthetruth 2012/05/07 01:40:28
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +2
    So, to protest a failed government currency, you elect a socialist to further drain the resources of your nation and force all with money to vacate. Good job France. Let's hope you don't call on us to bail you out again. We have our own dictator to get rid of.
  • Heptarch Technot... 2012/05/07 03:12:30
    Heptarch
    +3
    I don't think you know what the word "dictator" means.
  • Technot... Heptarch 2012/05/07 04:07:58
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +2
    You mean this one?
    dic·ta·tor
       [dik-tey-ter, dik-tey-ter] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a person exercising absolute power, especially a ruler who has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession.

I think that sums up 0dimwit pretty well. Bypassing Congress, making law via Executive order, gearing up an army(TSA, DHS), threatening the SCOTUS to rule in his favor to avoid further punishment of the people, bailing out corrupt CEO's and Unions, seeking and getting favor(financial or otherwise) from big banks, accepting an award and reward with absolutely no justification, taking credit for acts of heroism that he had no part of to gain favor with mindless minions.
    What exactly are you missing? I see it as a perfect description of an unchecked fraud usurping an office he is not qualified to hold.
  • Heptarch Technot... 2012/05/07 04:37:25 (edited)
    Heptarch
    +2
    EDIT: Nice post-and-block you coward. Clearly you're one of those people who think they can bully people and baffle them with BS, then post-and-block someone who has you outgunned intellectually and calls you on your crap.

"I think that sums up 0dimwit pretty well"

Then you're a paranoid idiot.

"Bypassing Congress"

In what way?

"making law via Executive order"

How so?

"gearing up an army(TSA, DHS)"

Paranoid BS.

"threatening the SCOTUS to rule in his favor to avoid further punishment of the people"

Warning against judicial activism is not the same thing as threatening them.

"bailing out corrupt CEO's and Unions"

You mean the rich people that supposedly make jobs? Make up your mind... either capitalists are worth supporting or they're not.

"accepting an award and reward with absolutely no justification"

I assume you're talking about the Nobel Peace Prize. They obviously felt it was justified or they wouldn't have awarded it to him.

"taking credit for acts of heroism that he had no part of to gain favor with mindless minions. "

He didn't take credit for the acts of heroism. He gave that credit to the SEALs and to the intelligence community. All he said was that he gave the go ahead for the mission. Which he did.

"What exactly are you missing?"

The part where he has absolute, unrestricted po...

Then you're a paranoid idiot.

"Bypassing Congress"

In what way?

"making law via Executive order"

How so?

"gearing up an army(TSA, DHS)"

Paranoid BS.

"bailing out corrupt CEO's and Unions"

"What exactly are you missing?"

The part where he has absolute, unrestricted power. He clearly does not, else he would've gotten a lot more done in the last four years instead of being bound by a completely ineffective Congress.
  • Technot... Heptarch 2012/05/07 04:52:19
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +1
    Okay, my apologies. I had no idea that I was talking to someone with the intellect of a turnip. I won't bother you with intelligent thought, since you apparently have nothing to offer. If you really believe what you just posted, you are in need of some serious therapy. I am not qualified to direct that. Now piss off.
  • Beltazar Heptarch 2012/05/31 02:57:41
    Beltazar
    What has he gotten done that is worthy in the past 4 years... Obummercare??
  • JCD aka... Technot... 2012/05/07 07:49:13
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    Austerity is draining our resources, we need growth. A stimulus.
  • Technot... JCD aka... 2012/05/07 18:41:59
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +1
    Remove the Centralist banking system, get off the NWO currency, and boot out socialism. That is the battle we are facing here as well.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/05/06 20:46:22
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +3

2014/11/23 02:14:57