Socialism and the Govt: Think about this (No, I didn't make it myself)

dePSyChO 2012/01/05 04:03:49

"This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by
electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US
Department of Energy.

I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the
municipal water utility. Then, I brushed my teeth with that water, filtered to
standards set by the EPA and my state.

After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated
channels to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic
and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like
using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US Department
of Agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined
as safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US Congress and
kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US
Naval Observatory, I get into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state,
and federal Departments of Transportation, possibly stopping to purchase
additional fuel of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection
Agency, using legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank and printed by
the Federal Bureau of Engraving and Printing. On the way out the door I deposit
any mail I have to be sent out via the US Postal Service and drop the kids off
at the public school.

I park my
car on the street, paved and maintained by the Department of Transportation,
and put quarters issued by the United States Mint into the parking meter.

Then, after spending
another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to the workplace
regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and
Health Administration, I drive back to my house which has not burned down in my
absence because of the state and local building codes and the fire marshal's
inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the
local police department.

I then log onto the
Internet which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Administration and post on freerepublic and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM
in medicine is BAD because the government can't do anything right. Keep
government out of my Medicare!

• ehrhornp 2012/04/10 22:34:40
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Ah yes. Very good. Lots of truth to this. Republicans prefer to tear up paved streets rather than tax the rich.
  • Maynard 2012/01/05 13:35:11
    Maynard
    All the things mentioned can never happen without

BUSINESS.

It takes businesses to create the tax base for these things.

OR

You will be like North Korea and Cuba.
  • A Founding Father 2012/01/05 06:47:53 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Good post. A measure of reality.

And for dinner, you might have some ground beef or chicken that was not inspected by the FDA, and you may spend most of the night alternating between sitting on the white queen and vomiting into her welcoming body. As a remedy, swallow some of that "stuff" sold without a warning that it contains mercury and gypsum, known to calm an upset stomach and available until the mid 1950s. As a last resort, you might find some Paragoric in the medicine cabinet, but be careful of it as an ovedose can easily stop your heart - how long have you had that in the cabinet? Don't try to call 911 as the "company" that owns the service doesn't employ English speaking opertors, and besides, they haven't anyone on duty after 6 p.m., owing to the small volume of business that isn't "profitable".

This is America, home of "free range corporatism", which is a way of saying there are some
    creatures out there gleaning all that is edible in the barnyard. Only the works of those hated "socialists" and "progressives" that could think ahead and anticipate your needs stand between you and a really bad night without sleep. Be thankful for what makes us different from the countries of the third world and don't let the wingnuts take away what is your only defense against the garbage that could kill you. Medicare will not pay for your
    negligence or willful ingestion of tainted foods.
  • Reichstolz 2012/01/05 04:50:34
    Reichstolz
    Lovely, now would all of that have happened in a free market as well? The answer is yes. The difference is you would pay for those things and demand results or you would stop paying for them and another entity would be eager to provide you the service you seek.

Let me take the time to show you how the free market does the same thing but better

1. I grew up on a local REA coop where every customer was a member in the electrical generation facility and transmission lines.
    2. I grew up taking water from an aquifer with my own well.
    3.TV is not a necessity and as we have seen the FCC regulations only serve to keep those entities who cannot compete in the market on the air. That is the reason for the explosion of cable television, nothing worth watching on the "networks." National Weather Service the only professional job where you can be consistently wrong and still collect a paycheck. As we are seeing NASA is soon to be surpassed by private enterprise in making space travel available for those without government training. It would have happened a lot sooner if the government wouldn't have controlled space.
    4. USDA another unnecessary agency, if a producer delivers a bad product that company ceases to be in business. It also serves to create a much more educated consumer...

4. USDA another unnecessary agency, if a producer delivers a bad product that company ceases to be in business. It also serves to create a much more educated consumer, milk comes from a cow not the grocery store. We have generations of citizens who have no idea what, how, or why food is manufactured or the ability to tell the difference between good or bad product due to government usurping the role of the consumer in determining a fit product.
    5. FDA responsible for more medically treatable deaths each year from lack of action, than automobile accidents.
    6.NHTSA another agency serving to dumb down consumers. The have effectively increase statistical probability of death by re-engineering a perfectly sound product. A vehicle that went 100 mph and weighed 6,200 lbs is much safer, without a seat belt or an air bag, than any vehicle on the road today. The various DOT departments are the most inefficiently run entities in government. Most work they "accomplish" is done by contracting out to private companies. Why because as with all government they are incompetent to deliver a quality product, on time, and under budget.
    7. EPA again stifling technological advances to keep auto manufacturers from advancing horse power to overcome efficiency losses. We should be driving 1000 horse power vehicles currently that would obtain well over 100 mpg. Also they have stifled the development of pressurized fuel delivery that would atomize better and produce more horsepower.
    8. USPS- the least efficient way to receive correspondence since they finally allowed competition in the market. It will be a thing of the past in 5 more years.
    9. The FED- a private company solely comprised of entities that do not work in the interest of the citizen. To date responsible for removing 40% of the value from the US dollar.
    10. Department of Labor, has yet to create a job that is self sufficient, and worth what that cubical monkey is paid.
    11. OSHA responsible for costing manufacturing billions of dollars per year, another entity that hinders the marketplace making US based companies uncompetitive.
    12. State and Local building codes have no place if the consumer drives the market. If a person has no recourse(which is given by government)to sue a builder for their own lack of knowledge they would be unnecessary.
    13. The internet was privately developed by an entity called Sparwar and was confiscated by DOD.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:54:59
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Wow, you really are a nutcase. Perhaps the water from the well contained mercury or lead?
    A 1000 hp vehicle? I'll bet the teenagers would send that baby down the street like a 6,200 pound bullet?
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/05 06:58:10 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    Actually we had our own well tested annually, without need for government intervention. Horsepower overcomes friction reducing friction improves fuel economy, it is called physics. Also, as far as the teenagers they would have run into another 6,200 lb bullet as well and survived. unlike the choice of tin cans they have today.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 07:14:11 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +2
    I'm sorry to break the news to you, but you have been terribly misled by a lack of facts and information. By every measure and test, autos today are much safer than any autos every produced, especially those that weighed so much more as were produced in the 1940 and 50s - those hulking steel tanks of 4,000 plus pounds. Being the graduated physicist that you are, you would know about E=MV2(Squared). The M is, of course, mass, the measure of weight, and the E stands for energy, that which is dissipated in a sudden stop. Moving a big machine at any speed can cause a lot of metal to bend, as evidenced by a locomotive traveling at 10mph.

I hope it isn't necessary that I suggest we couldn't all have private water wells and septic tanks, else we would just be drinking each other's pee and waste waters. That doesn't sound like a good idea. Can you imagine how the 300 apartments in one building would contain all those wells and septic tanks in the basement? I've been to Temecula, and seem to recall that there were fire hydrants on the street corners, which would indicate a muni water supply of some kind. I'll bet they also have a sewer system too. Just a guess.
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/05 07:29:06 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    Every measure and test, really, I would suggest you look at injury rates due to automobile collisions over the course of your precious regulatory body's actions.

You do understand that in America we do not cover more than 15% of the available land mass so private wells and septic systems are more than possible. Apartment complexes are nothing more than another wasted resource for those who lack personal responsibility.

Great you have been to Temecula, have you been to the little elevations that surround the city? Have you seen the 150,000 people that surround the dullards who live in town?

The fact remains there is no service government provides that cannot be done more effectively or efficiently by individuals acting in their own best interest. As it was the way this country was founded.

A little light reading for you the physicist.
    http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/...
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 07:50:34 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +1
    All the stats of auto accidents are on a favorable curve, less deaths, less injuries, fewer severe injuries, etc., all of them. Lighter and better engineered autos with "collapsible" and energy absorbing components and frames have greatly reduced these stats. The greatest contributor is, of course, the nearly universal use of seatbelts. And, better engineered highways, streets, and control devices also contribute.

What is not better is the minds of idiots who no longer can be persuaded by any means to drive safely, within the speed limits, or to stop when traffic signals are red. That seems to be a result of the video games that influence very young minds, NASCAR races that trigger some inmature minds, and lacking enforcement of traffic signals and speed limits.

The rest of your comment is revealing that you aren't exactly attached to reality at this time. Sorry, but today is a day in 2012, not 1632, and things
    are quite different now. Are you really so old as to recall the "founding"?
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/05 14:43:51
    Reichstolz
    Favorable curve, really? You are not very familiar with automobile injury statistics then. The total injury rates are statistically stagnate regardless of safety precautions. Seat belts did decrease death but didn't decrease injury.

The rest of your comment is nothing more than a presentation of your ignorance.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 23:00:37
    A Founding Father
    No more to say to you as you are just making silly words that have no traction.
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/06 02:42:13
    Reichstolz
    You are ignorant as usual.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/06 03:07:22 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    Working on my 6,400 lb car. Send me a picture of yours, and your 1,000 hp engine. Maybe we can form a company to sell those
    things?
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/06 03:36:25 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    http://www.bugatti.com/en/vey...
    1,001 horsepower
    Curb weight 4,200 lbs.

Sorry the company already exists and they are legal to register here in California, that is if you have the 1.9 million for the car and the 140K to ship it here.

You know what else about my evening out car? It doesn't have any stupid seat belts. Come for a ride down PCH sometime, I would love to show you what 250 mph feels like. Granted that ride doesn't last for more than a couple minutes due to running it out of fuel.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/06 03:44:56
    A Founding Father
    Now you know how impractical some dreams can be. Sounds like a plot for a D rated move to me. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/06 03:53:29
    Reichstolz
    Impracticality is a great thing, sometimes you just have to go stupid and do something you have always wanted to do. I grew up next to a gentleman, who was crippled. He had pictures of old Jags, Bentley, Mercedes, etc race cars on the wall. When he died we found out he used to race in Europe as a young man and that was how he broke his back and ended up paralyzed from the waist down. Ever since I always told myself once I was wealthy enough that I didn't care about money I would buy the fastest European race car I could. So in 2010 I did. I have put less than 300 miles on it and so far paid over $1300 in speeding tickets. I have only gotten into 6th gear twice and 7th once. Once my daughter is off to college I plan on making the road race circuit around here with it. Wife won't let me do it until I at least send my daughter off to college.
  • Willie Reichstolz 2012/01/07 21:12:09
    Willie
    Yes, the Veyron gets about 9 mpg. According to your "horsepower overcomes friction" theory, shouldn't it be higher?
  • Reichstolz Willie 2012/01/08 06:27:03
    Reichstolz
    Actually I have gotten over 25 mpg with it, as long at you do not shift above 3rd gear. I have two different keys as long as I don't use the one that removes the governor program from the computer(allowing it to lower 3" and achieve over 250 mph) it is rather efficient in the hills and freeways around here. Now with my jeep I can obtain over 30 mpg on 91 octane, that is 425 hp to 2,350 lb ratio. But mostly that just crawls now with 5.31 ratios in the front and rear axles and 4:1 transfer case. But the LS1 I have in it is pretty efficient on the highway.
  • Willie Reichstolz 2012/01/08 06:29:30
    Willie
    Well 25 still isn't 100. And how do you keep yourself from going above 3rd gear? I'd want to let that car loose.
  • Reichstolz Willie 2012/01/08 06:40:18
    Reichstolz
    That is where you reach about 90 mph. So in most areas of CA it is hard to travel any faster. I could re-gear the tranny and the axle and achieve well over 60mpg, but it would take a lot of the fun out of it.
  • Bilingu... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 12:48:21
    Bilingual required sucks
    Are you going to carry around a microscope in the grocery store and take samples of all the meat you buy to make sure it isnt harboring E. coli and other bugs or has microscopic pieces of animal dung ? Your idea of an educated consumer is that we all have to be microbiologists? Yeah that really would work Reich...just brilliant.
  • Reichstolz Bilingu... 2012/01/05 14:40:22
    Reichstolz
    No need for a microscope if you cook your meat to a proper temperature. All cases of food born illness is due to one of two things improper cooking temperature or improper hygiene of the person preparing the food. Try educating yourself, you are ignorant.
  • Bilingu... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 14:50:59
    Bilingual required sucks
    Am I really? I took Microbiology in college ..did you? Thats great.....you can go buy uninspected meat and go feed it to your kids....idiot.
  • Reichstolz Bilingu... 2012/01/05 14:59:54
    Reichstolz
    I used to slaughter and butcher my own animals, I have no problem with not relying on the inept USDA. You may have took microbiology in college but you surely didn't learn anything. Ignorant fool.
  • Bilingu... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 15:17:30
  • Reichstolz Bilingu... 2012/01/05 15:32:28
    Reichstolz
    From the perspective of variant Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, the statistics of becoming infected are so minimal there is no worry about the US meat supply. I not only used to raise, slaughter, and process my own meat, I have a Bachelor's in Animals Science, a Masters in Monogastric Nutrition, a DO, and a PhD in Epidemiology, and produced livestock for 7 years.
    You are ignorant to what a consumer used to be and should know in this nation. Getting an A surely didn't teach you anything. Ignorant fool
  • Bilingu... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 15:59:01
    Bilingual required sucks
    Wow for a physician you sure are one dumb MoFo....how many times have you been sued? Or do they even still allow you to practice. you quack ya.
  • Reichstolz Bilingu... 2012/01/05 16:07:24 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    I have been sued once, for malpractice, by a mother who wouldn't quit shoveling junk into her 12 year old's face and he was 185 lbs when I first treated his asthma. By the time he turned 13 he was 203 pounds and dead. Criminally I was found innocent, and charges were dismissed. Civilly I was found guilty, for not doing enough to remove the child from her care, and she received a $2.3 million settlement for killing her own child. The nice part is she has a daughter who she has probably killed by now as well.

I would contend it is your lack of knowledge that you should be concerned with. You throw out buzz words without knowing anything related to the subject. Ignorant fool.
  • Bilingu... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 16:16:40
    Bilingual required sucks
    "The nice part is she has a daughter who she has probably killed by now as well."

And they let you near people to "heal" them? You're a sadistic prick.

The Board of Medicine in your state are the ignorant fools.

I think we're done here.
  • Reichstolz Reichstolz 2012/01/05 16:20:22 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    Ignorance abounds on SH.
  • A Found... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 23:07:08 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    Reiche, you are really one stupid and crass source of B.S. You no more have the education and experience you claim than you have two peckers. People with education and professional experience do not need to shout at others as you do, telling tales of daring-do of being a butcher, living in a world without water supplies or sewers, in a little hick town in California. If you have a medical license, send me your California registration number by "mail" here, I will keep it confidential, but would like to look into your fabled career as a pioneer and physician.
  • Reichstolz A Found... 2012/01/06 02:56:59
    Reichstolz
    Yes I will if you would send me your social security number and I will keep it here confidential. If you will, I have ocean front property in Temecula to sell you.
    You are correct most of my colleagues ask why I bother with ignorance like you. I find it humorous and since I no longer need a public persona I can say what everyone I associate with thinks. I have emailed pasted sections of ignorant responses to some of my colleagues and they to find it amazing this nation hasn't collapsed decades ago. You honestly think your doctor doesn't want to tell you exactly what is on his/her mind. When due to your own ignorance you ask meaningless question and waste their time?
    I was born on a hobby farm where we raised, slaughtered and processed our own meat. Not unusual at all in the Midwest.
    Public utilities, in the majority of the land mass that is the United States, do not exist, travel beyond your own backyard for once.

As far as my career, you can believe as you wish, I am here for sheer amusement and you do not matter. But remember the next time you ask your doctor a stupid question he/she thinks exactly like I do about your ignorance. If you want a prime example, hang out within ear shot of a docs lounge in a major ER, or large hospital, you would be surprised at what we consider humorous and poke fun at.

Thank you once again for the laugh, ignorant fool.

2014/09/18 21:51:40