So just what / who is a liberal

iamnothere 2012/04/06 18:53:22
Liberals have changed their name, and now want to be called Progressives. They say that becoming Progressives is not about the stigma attached to liberalism. Right! I guess if you call a dog turd a rose, it won’t smell like crap?

I contend that there is no such thing as a Progressive liberal, and that the term progressive liberal is an excellent oxymoron. But when you look up liberal in the dictionary, it is truly glowing. So much so, I want to be a liberal. Here is an excerpt of the definition from Dictionary.com:

“favorable to progress or reform…free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant…favoring or permitting freedom of action…open-minded or tolerant”

Dictionary.com actually declares this part of the liberal definition obsolete:

“Morally unrestrained; licentious”

But when you get beyond the textbook definition of liberalism, you understand that the real world meaning of the word is “unrepentant meddler“.

• flrdsgns 2012/04/06 19:58:45
    flrdsgns
    +11
    Voting is just like driving, if you want to go backwards choose "R" if you want to go forwards choose "D".

• iamnothere Vitalani 2012/04/07 01:45:21
    iamnothere
    well you have not asked for facts.. since all you have given me are opinions..
  • Vitalani iamnothere 2012/04/07 02:07:03 (edited)
    Vitalani
    Right... I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with you stating opinions.....But I'm not the one who said my opinions are reality.
  • iamnothere Vitalani 2012/04/07 02:16:39
    iamnothere
    of course your opinions are reality.. for you.. just not for those who pay taxes.. to support people who wont work because they have no marketable skills from being dumbed down
  • Vitalani iamnothere 2012/04/07 02:32:19
    Vitalani
    +1
    Lol right.
  • lee 2012/04/06 19:59:50
    I am an unrepentent meddler
    lee
    +4
    yep.

if you want to make $$ off the commons of this great country, you had better be prepared to give back something when you succeed.

and you had better be prepared to play by the rules.. the same rules as everyone else. rules that protect privacy, protect the environment, protect consumers, and protect the country.

expecting anything less means you are NOT a liberal.
  • iamnothere lee 2012/04/06 20:18:00
    iamnothere
    +1
    giving back means you are conservative.. go do a little leg work.. you will discover conservatives give to charities 10 times what those on the liberal side of the political spectrum do.. that is a fact..
  • Sinpac iamnothere 2012/04/06 21:36:20
    Sinpac
    +1
    Well I guess helping someone with a broken down car along the interstate doesn't count. Or the meals on wheels i am involved with to help feed the elderly. Or the snow I shovel for the senors. Or anything else like that. I guess it just easier to throw somebody five bucks instead of stopping and actually getting your hands dirty.
  • lee Sinpac 2012/04/06 22:35:39 (edited)
    lee
    +1
    no that does not count. those are great things, but that is not what I mean by giving back when you succeed.

giving back to the commons in the form of taxes to maintain and enforce the system that got you to where you are is the least you can do... all the other stuff is great but you gotta pay your dues first.
  • Sinpac lee 2012/04/06 23:44:50
    Sinpac
    +1
    I didn't think they were worthy but I had to throw it out there.
  • iamnothere Sinpac 2012/04/07 00:33:39
    iamnothere
    they do count .. but I dont expect (years of observation that it is a liberal who will do these things..) they expect the government to provide these services while taking at gun point the money from the tax payer all in all they do a crappy job
  • Sinpac iamnothere 2012/04/07 00:44:33
    Sinpac
    +1
    So while driving down the road or walking around you can tell the difference between a dem and repub? That is amazing.
  • lee iamnothere 2012/04/06 22:33:01
    lee
    i'm not talking about spreading among your church! i couldn't care less how much of your income you want to give them.

i'm talking about giving back to the commons from which you TOOK.

i'm talking about TAXES.
  • Alvin iamnothere 2012/04/07 00:54:18
    Alvin
    +1
    Yeah, usually because they can get their donations taken off their reported income as a deduction. If I made 500 million dollars a year I could afford to give more to charity also.
  • iamnothere Alvin 2012/04/07 00:56:19
    iamnothere
    if you made 500,000,000 I would be your bestest buddy LOL
  • lufkincy Alvin 2012/04/07 14:35:59
    lufkincy
    Those who donate to charity do not do so because they get a tax deduction. Assuming they are in a 35% bracket and give $100 to the Girl Scout program. The Girl Scout program gets $100. He pays out of pocket $65 because he gets to deduct $35 from his taxes. This is just an example and not exact because the tax code is so complicated. He can only get tax deducations for donations for a certain percentage of his gross income. In Romney's case where he has always donated 100% of his salary to charitable organizations he can get some kind of a tax deduction, but it would take an accountant to figure out how much.
  • Kat ♪.B... lee 2012/04/06 23:38:18
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +1
    Obama is a lib and he's taking away privacy daily, throws out rules he doesn't like, screwing consumers and hardly protecting our country. http://www.usdebtclock.org/
  • flrdsgns 2012/04/06 19:58:45
    flrdsgns
    +11
  • Prime T... flrdsgns 2012/04/06 20:01:11
    Prime Time Lime
    +4
    I like that statement.
  • flrdsgns Prime T... 2012/04/06 20:05:37
    flrdsgns
    +4
    Someone said they saw it as a bumper sticker. What a great bumperstick that must make lol
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/06 20:19:01
    iamnothere
    +1
    so far 15.7 trillion and all I see is the D's driving us over the financial cliff
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/06 20:25:33
    flrdsgns
    +3
    I see the economy getting better each month lately. Still not back to where it was, and may not be for years, but it is much better now than a couple years ago
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/06 20:31:53
    iamnothere
    +1
    keep watching.. it is scary.. 88 million americans who could work are not..
    businesses are cutting back on hiring.. 125000 was the number of new jobs this week.. with 457000 loosing .. The dollar is inflating from the 3 trillion in new money that was printed by the fed.. foreclousures are getting ready to hit a million new ones this year (if we are lucky it wont hit 2 million) the construction and realestate industry are in the dumps and little chance that it will improve.. (lumber has almost double in price over the last 2 months cost of that non existant inflation ... you know gas prices)

things are not really improving.. the administration just wants you to think it is.. Open your eyes .. and do your own research.. it is scary.. a lot of the growth in the economy has been due to inflation
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/06 20:33:41
    flrdsgns
    +2
    We put a house up for sale 3 days ago. So far 2 offers. We are hoping for a bidding war lol. I don't know where you live, but things are looking up in California
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/06 20:34:25 (edited)
    iamnothere
    good luck.. hope they can get financing.. that has been a huge problem the price of houses has dropped dramatically in CA.. about 50% last I read.

glad you are above water on yours
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/06 20:41:22
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Yeah, we bought this one about 14 years ago as a new house. It has dropped about 30% from its high a few years back, but we are still up over 250% on it. It is in a desirable location near the beach on Ca's central coast
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/06 20:59:11
    iamnothere
    real estate.. location location location.. sadly if you look in constant dollars.. you would discover your buying power with what is left is far less than what you paid.

Definition of 'Constant Dollar'
    An adjusted value of currency used to compare dollar values from one period to another. Due to inflation, the purchasing power of the dollar changes over time, so in order to compare dollar values from one year to another they need to be converted to constant dollar values.

Calculated as:

Constant Dollar

Investopedia Says
    Investopedia explains 'Constant Dollar'
    The constant dollar is often used by companies to compare the performance of recent years to past performance. Governments also use the constant dollar to track changes in economic indicators, such as wages over time. Any kind of financial data that is represented in dollar terms can be converted into constant dollars by using the Consumer Price Indexes of various years.

For example, constant dollars can be used to calculate what $20,000 earned in 1995 would be equal to in 2005. The CPIs for the two years are 152.4 and 195.3, respectively. The value of $20,000 in 1995 would be equal to $25,629.92 in 2005 ($20,000*(195.3/152.4)). The calculation can be done backwards, comparing $20,000 in 2005 with 1995, by reversing the numer...

Definition of 'Constant Dollar'

Calculated as:

Constant Dollar

Investopedia Says
    Investopedia explains 'Constant Dollar'

For example, constant dollars can be used to calculate what $20,000 earned in 1995 would be equal to in 2005. The CPIs for the two years are 152.4 and 195.3, respectively. The value of $20,000 in 1995 would be equal to $25,629.92 in 2005 ($20,000*(195.3/152.4)). The calculation can be done backwards, comparing $20,000 in 2005 with 1995, by reversing the numerator and denominator in the equation.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/t...
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/06 21:04:38
    flrdsgns
    +1
    That would all be accurate, but my income has increased right along with price increases, so I'm really doing better now than I was 14 years ago. Although last year was a financial disaster for me, this year seems to be going right back to where I was a few years back when the future was rosy.

Gasoline was 30 cents a gallon in 1968 when I was a teen and earning .90 cents an hour. Now gasoline is up 11 times what it was in 1968 but I'm earning much more than 11 times what I did then. So adjusted for inflation and my income, gasoline is still cheap
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/06 21:08:45 (edited)
    iamnothere
    in constant dollars.. the buying power of the average american
    (you sound like you are on the top half of that curve) has lost real buying power..

To put it into perspective.. in 1968 one could buy a car for a few thousand dollars.. the price of gold was 32 an ounce.. today you can buy that same car for 50,000 and the price of an ounce of gold is 1700 /// so in constant dollars.. you would have to be earning hundreds of thousands a year to stay level in purchasing power

as to the price of a gallon of gas it has actually fallen a great deal

suggest you look at this link http://www1.eere.energy.gov/v...
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/06 21:16:18
    flrdsgns
    In 1968 the price of a Ford Galaxy was a little over 3,000. The average income was under 10,000 per year. (I'm going by memory, so numbers might be off some) Now that same Ford will cost 25 - 30k and average income is what maybe 60K a year. Same with houses, 35K for a decent house in 68. That same house now is probably in the 1/2 mil range, so income hasn't really kept up with housing all that well.
    A loaf of bread from a bakery was 35 cents, now it's 1.99, not that big an increase.
    We stopped using the gold standard in the 60s wasn't it? That isn't a fair comparison
  • lufkincy flrdsgns 2012/04/07 15:02:45
    lufkincy
    In 1962 my income was $1,200 a month or $14,400 per month gross. I bought a home in Houston for $11,500 on the GI bill. The engine blew up in my car so I needed a new one. The three I remember looking at were all new cars - a Ford pickup truck at $1,700, a Ford Falcon convertible at $2,600, and a Renault Dauphine for $995. I ended up buying the convertible for me and the Dauphine for my wife. I don't remember how long I kept the cars or what I traded them in for, but a few years later I got a divorce and my ex got the house. Sometime in the 1980s she sold the home for a little over $225,000. Her timing was perfect because a few months later the housing market in Houston plumetted and the Indian physician who purchased it as an investment was left holding a $100,000 piece of property. A few years ago I happened to be in the area and drove by the house. The neighborhood had gone downhill and it would surprise me if the value now would be much more than $50,000. Timing is everything. Between the 1960's and today there have been several ups and downs. Wish I had known then what I know now.
  • flrdsgns lufkincy 2012/04/07 15:08:28
    flrdsgns
    Boy isn't that the truth. So much of it is just blind luck. I've very grateful that we never refinanced any of our houses, just kept plugging away and haven't bought anything since 1998. We didn't buy any of our houses as investments though, I made pretty good money most of my life and would purchase houses here and there, but we used them. central coast of Ca. Mountains in Ca. One in Scottsdale in the 70s. The houses were never rented, just sat empty and we would spend time there when we had time off.
    As it turned out, much of the money we invested in stock went down in value but the houses more than make up for it.
    I'm just thankful that I've always had a job, always been healthy and able to enjoy life.
  • Sinpac iamnothere 2012/04/06 21:45:55
  • Kat ♪.B... flrdsgns 2012/04/06 23:42:41 (edited)
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    Hiring those $12.00 a day Chinese laborers boosted the economy I guess. You must work for the government or these bidders do, it's about all thats growing.
  • flrdsgns Kat ♪.B... 2012/04/06 23:48:44
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Nope, wrong again, I don't work for the government. I have found that trying to hire Americans is not all that easy to do. They want too much money and don't want to work very hard for it. I had to hire a warehouse person a couple weeks ago. The Americans I hired only lasted a day the second one was gone in a couple hours, said he didn't want to do that type of work (driving a fork lift and unloading trucks) I hired a hispanic and it has been great.
  • Kat ♪.B... flrdsgns 2012/04/07 00:06:15
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    I actually meant the CA govt hiring the Chinese laborers. Hope it is picking up and not just a bubble to be burst when the bill comes due.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
  • flrdsgns Kat ♪.B... 2012/04/07 00:08:35
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Oh, I do too. This state is in real financial trouble. I'm liberal, but the assembly is way too far to the left for me. I think we should embrace new business, not run it out of state with un-necessary regulations and taxes.
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/07 00:29:12
    iamnothere
    hard to embrace new business when you have a net exodus from folks who dont like the userous amounts in taxes fees and regulations that the state is putting on business.. Life is not going to get any easier for those in californina.. if anything.. you are on a rapid escalator going down down down.. and no one in the state has the balls to hit the stop button
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/07 00:35:26
    flrdsgns
    That isn't true. If the GOP would run moderates, they would be elected and that would counter the ultra liberal state assembly. I just don't understand why the GOP insists on running far right candidates in this state, they will never win. Geez, they just need to get a grip and move toward the center some
  • iamnothere flrdsgns 2012/04/07 00:44:04
    iamnothere
    I fortunately dont live out there.. so I have no clue why they run such horrible candidates.. though I doubt that it would really matter.. Most liberals find it like going to the dentist to consider voting for someone who is not of the great give away persasion ...
  • flrdsgns iamnothere 2012/04/07 00:48:57
    flrdsgns
    That really isn't true. Most people out here are more moderate, center left is how I would describe the majority of us. unfortunately both the GOP and the Democrats seem to run people who are either far right or far left. It really is a shame as this is a great place to live. You just can't beat the weather.

2014/07/25 18:31:52