SIMMONS: Bill Cosby weighs in on Trayvon Martin case

JT For Political Reform 2012/04/08 13:22:13

“We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,” said Mr. Cosby, whose remarks were the first he has made publicly about the case.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” Mr. Cosby
explained. “The power-of-the-gun mentality had him unafraid to confront
someone. Even police call for backup in similar situations.

“When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said.

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/7/sim...

• JT For Political Reform 2012/04/08 13:29:25
    JT For Political Reform
    +7
    This is one of the first times I have ever heard Bill Cosby make a stupid comment. His comment “When you carry a gun, you mean to harm somebody, kill somebody,” he said.

I have a permit to carry and the reason I do carry is so no one harms or kills me. I don't carry to do harm or kill, that's is the last thing on my mind.

How does Cosby know what Zimmerman's intentions where? Once again we have someone of color and stature making judgement before that person has a chance at a fair trial. I guess we might as well just break out a rope, find the nearest tree and hang Zimmerman immediately, after all from the president on down this guy is guilty of seeking out and killing a black teenager who likes skittles. Shame on you Bill, you just lost a fan.

• beach bum 2012/04/16 01:02:55
    beach bum
    guns don't kill people....people kill people
  • ruthannhausman 2012/04/09 23:16:38
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    I've heard and read a number of Bill Cosby's speeches and articles and I usually am behind him all the way. But this is one subject where I will have to respectfully disagree with him.

I know where the man is coming from on the gun issue. I personally don't like guns myself, but I don't hold anything against gun owners. Only those owners who don't take the time and effort to educate themselves on the correct, proper handling of their weapon(s) and all of the appropriate things that go along with gun ownership. Do that and you can have an arsenal, in my opinion.

There have recently been some pretty horrific crimes which could have been lessened in damage had somebody been carrying their personal weapon on the scene with them. I don't agree with Mr. Cosby's blanket statement about people carrying a gun mean to harm or kill somebody. Sometimes that happens, but that is not the intent, at least in the majority of cases.

Whether or not he is correct about Mr. Zimmerman and the circumstances of this case is something that we are not going to know for a little while longer. The proper, legal authorities, forensic experts, etc., need to do their job. Then, when the total story can be backed by evidence, and only then can people such as myself really form an opinion abou...

Whether or not he is correct about Mr. Zimmerman and the circumstances of this case is something that we are not going to know for a little while longer. The proper, legal authorities, forensic experts, etc., need to do their job. Then, when the total story can be backed by evidence, and only then can people such as myself really form an opinion about what happened to Trayvon Martin. But regardless of the true nature of this case, either for or against Zimmerman, the outcome should not in any way, shape or form, lay any kind of predicate for the anti-gun movements to begin another round of tirades.

Unfortunately, that is what happens in America today. You've got people just patiently sitting on the sidelines, waiting for another morsel to feed the rabid dogs. Equally unfortunate is my prediction that regardless of the facts, the forensic proof, all evidence, whether Mr. Zimmerman is found to be "guilty" or "innocent" in this case, I can probably write the scripts for the inciters -- you know, the Sharptons and Jacksons, etc. -- because it won't matter what the truth is, this is just a great opportunity for a riot.
  • me 2012/04/09 01:28:41
    me
    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/D...

please share this with as many people as you can!!! Whatever you can do will be greatly appreciated!! Please and thank you

It is the neighborhood watch. Not the neighborhood shoot!
  • Hamilton 2012/04/09 00:09:32
    Hamilton
    +1
    I used to respect him, but this is just the latest thing that makes me wonder about his judgment.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/08 19:25:56
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Just another moronic sentment spewed out by someone who never walks down the streets laden with crime.
  • Kurbdog 2012/04/08 19:16:06
    Kurbdog
    +1
    "When you carry a gun ,you mean to harm somebody ,kill somebody " im gonna kick your ass
  • JT For ... Kurbdog 2012/04/08 22:30:07
  • Dagon 2012/04/08 18:26:22
  • JT For ... Dagon 2012/04/08 18:55:38
    JT For Political Reform
    +1
    I agree but the koolaid drinking racists don't see it that way. They keep thinking of a little kid eating skittles. Which is a bunch of crap, he was 17 and 6' 2'' tall.
  • no1badboy56 2012/04/08 18:19:02
    no1badboy56
    +2
    Bill, I used to think you were an intelligent man, now I wonder. However, if i were your neighbor, I'd have to post this sign.

gun next door neighbor
  • truthman 2012/04/08 18:09:47
    truthman
    +2
    Once again, lets wait till all the facts come out in court. That means all the race baiters such as Sharpton, jackson, the black panthers, NBC,CNN,MSNBC go home. NBC needs to go on national TV and admit they edited the 911 conversation.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/04/08 17:53:18
  • Freebird 2012/04/08 17:50:36
    Freebird
    +2
    Since none of know the real facts in this case, I suggest we reserve judgement until an arrest has made or no charges filed. That said, I have the right to bear arms and I do not carry a gun to intentionally kill someone. I carry it for self-protection as I have been mugged, robbed and had a gun held to my head on three occasions. They were all black men by the way. Just sayin
  • JT For ... Freebird 2012/04/08 18:57:21
    JT For Political Reform
    50% of all crime against whites is by blacks, 93% of all crime against blacks is by blacks.
    +4
    I think lawful citizens carry guns to protect themselves, not go looking for people to kill. Until we know who attacked who, and what happened as a result of that attack; everything is personal opinion, not fact.
    +3
    Some truth to the matter but we need people to confront and not walk away which to many people today. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens puts fear in the minds of crooks. Apparently Trayvon was nit smart enough to realize this fact!
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/04/08 17:18:20 (edited)
    Rebel [SHP]
    +3
    Oh look...someone else who's opinion doesn't matter even one iota. Go back to retirement Cosby....let the cops do their work.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/04/08 17:04:23
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    To my understanding most neighborhood watches don't carry guns. And that is where Zimmerman made his biggest mistake. The Castle Laws, to my understanding, are meant to defend a person on their property or in their car. Leaving the car means that unless he had concealed carry, he did something out of line. Now the big question will be if it is self defense. And that is something the courts, not the media, need to decide.
  • JT For ... TruBluT... 2012/04/08 18:59:32
    JT For Political Reform
    I was under the impression that Zimmerman had a permit to carry, otherwise he would be in jail no matter what Florida laws say.
  • TruBluT... JT For ... 2012/04/08 19:12:17
    TruBluTopaz
    That's possible. I don't know.
  • ImageBandit ~ American Patriot 2012/04/08 13:49:03
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    +5
    if you dont carry a gun when on watch how the heck are you going to watch??? you may just as well stay home and let the evildoers have the city
  • JT For ... ImageBa... 2012/04/08 16:31:16
    JT For Political Reform
    +3
    You know these guys are going to twist or spin it to fit their own agenda.
    JT For Political Reform
    +7

• truthman JT For ... 2012/04/08 18:16:01
    truthman
    +3
    I think the Black Panther spokesmon should be locked up for inciting violence and calling for the head of Zimmerman. Putting a bounty on someones head is a heavy charge without the facts or with the facts for that matter.
  • JT For ... truthman 2012/04/08 19:01:26
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    I agree. The problem is Eric Holder will never put any Black Panther in jail but if it was (for instance) a white panther, they would have been prosecuted by now.

2014/08/28 01:23:32