Similarity between 1930's Germany, and the American left today

☆astac☆~PWCM 2013/01/02 00:28:44

Kitty Werthmann
“I am a witness to history.

“I cannot tell you that Hitler took Austria by tanks and guns; it would distort history.

If you remember the plot of the Sound of Music, the Von Trapp family escaped over the Alps rather than submit to the Nazis. Kitty wasn’t so lucky. Her family chose to stay in her native Austria. She was 10 years old, but bright and aware. And she was watching.

“We elected him by a landslide – 98 percent of the vote,” she recalls.

She wasn’t old enough to vote in 1938 – approaching her 11th birthday. But she remembers.

“Everyone thinks that Hitler just rolled in with his tanks and took Austria by force.”

No so.

Hitler is welcomed to Austria

“In 1938, Austria was in deep Depression. Nearly one-third of our workforce was unem- ployed. We had 25 percent inflation and 25 percent bank loan interest rates.

Farmers and business people were declaring bankruptcy daily. Young people were go- ing from house to house begging for food. Not that they didn’t want to work; there simply weren’t any jobs.

“My mother was a Christian woman and believed in helping people in need. Every day we cooked a big kettle of soup and baked bread to feed those poor, hungry people – about 30 daily.’

“We looked to our neighbor on the north, Germany, where Hitler had been in power since 1933.” she recalls. “We had been told that they didn’t have unemployment or crime, and they had a high standard of living.

Austrian girls welcome Hitler

“Nothing was ever said about persecution of any group – Jewish or otherwise. We were led to believe that everyone in Germany was happy. We wanted the same way of life in Austria. We were promised that a vote for Hitler would mean the end of unemployment and help for the family. Hitler also said that businesses would be assisted, and farmers would get their farms back.

“Ninety-eight percent of the population voted to annex Austria to Germany and have Hitler for our ruler.

“We were overjoyed,” remembers Kitty, “and for three days we danced in the streets and had candlelight parades. The new government opened up big field kitchens and
everyone was fed.

Austrians saluting

“After the election, German officials were appointed, and like a miracle, we suddenly had law and order. Three or four weeks later, everyone was employed. The government made sure that a lot of work was created through the Public Work Service.

“Hitler decided we should have equal rights for women. Before this, it was a custom that married Austrian women did not work outside the home. An able-bodied husband would be looked down on if he couldn’t support his family. Many women in the teach- ing profession were elated that they could retain the jobs they previously had been re- quired to give up for marriage.

“Then we lost religious education for kids

Poster promoting "Hitler Youth"

“Our education was nationalized. I attended a very good public school.. The population was predominantly Catholic, so we had religion in our schools. The day we elected Hitler (March 13, 1938), I walked into my schoolroom to find the crucifix replaced by Hitler’s picture hanging next to a Nazi flag. Our teacher, a very devout woman, stood up and told the class we wouldn’t pray or have religion anymore. Instead, we sang ‘Deutschland, Deutschland, Uber Alles,’ and had physical education.

“Sunday became National Youth Day with compulsory attendance. Parents were not pleased about the sudden change in curriculum. They were told that if they did not send us, they would receive a stiff letter of warning the first time. The second time they would be fined the equivalent of $300, and the third time they would be subject to jail.”
And then things got worse.

“The first two hours consisted of political indoctrination. The rest of the day we had sports. As time went along, we loved it. Oh, we had so much fun and got our sports equipment free.

“We would go home and gleefully tell our parents about the wonderful time we had.

“My mother was very unhappy,” remembers Kitty. “When the next term started, she took me out of public school and put me in a convent. I told her she couldn’t do that and she told me that someday when I grew up, I would be grateful. There was a very good curriculum, but hardly any fun – no sports, and no political indoctrination.

“I hated it at first but felt I could tolerate it. Every once in a while, on holidays, I went home. I would go back to my old friends and ask what was going on and what they were doing.

A pro-Hitler rally

“Their loose lifestyle was very alarming to me. They lived without religion. By that time, unwed mothers were glorified for having a baby for Hitler.

“It seemed strange to me that our society changed so suddenly. As time went along, I realized what a great deed my mother did so that I wasn’t exposed to that kind of hu- manistic philosophy.

“In 1939, the war started and a food bank was established. All food was rationed and could only be purchased using food stamps. At the same time, a full-employment law was passed which meant if you didn’t work, you didn’t get a ration card, and if you didn’t have a card, you starved to death.

“Women who stayed home to raise their families didn’t have any marketable skills and often had to take jobs more suited for men.

“Soon after this, the draft was implemented.

Young Austrians

“It was compulsory for young people, male and female, to give one year to the labor corps,” remembers Kitty. “During the day, the girls worked on the farms, and at night they returned to their barracks for military training just like the boys.

“They were trained to be anti-aircraft gunners and participated in the signal corps. After the labor corps, they were not discharged but were used in the front lines.
“When I go back to Austria to visit my family and friends, most of these women are emotional cripples because they just were not equipped to handle the horrors of combat.
“Three months before I turned 18, I was severely injured in an air raid attack. I nearly had a leg amputated, so I was spared having to go into the labor corps and into military service.

“When the mothers had to go out into the work force, the government immediately es- tablished child care centers.
“You could take your children ages four weeks old to school age and leave them there around-the-clock, seven days a week, under the total care of the government.

“The state raised a whole generation of children. There were no motherly women to take care of the children, just people highly trained in child psychology. By this time, no one talked about equal rights. We knew we had been had.

“Before Hitler, we had very good medical care. Many American doctors trained at the University of Vienna..
“After Hitler, health care was socialized, free for everyone. Doctors were salaried by the government. The problem was, since it was free, the people were going to the doctors for everything.

“When the good doctor arrived at his office at 8 a.m., 40 people were already waiting and, at the same time, the hospitals were full.

“If you needed elective surgery, you had to wait a year or two for your turn. There was no money for research as it was poured into socialized medicine. Research at the med- ical schools literally stopped, so the best doctors left Austria and emigrated to other countries.

“As for healthcare, our tax rates went up to 80 percent of our income. Newlyweds immediately received a $1,000 loan from the government to establish a household. We had big programs for families.

“All day care and education were free. High schools were taken over by the government and college tuition was subsidized. Everyone was entitled to free handouts, such as food stamps, clothing, and housing.

“We had another agency designed to monitor business. My brother-in-law owned a restaurant that had square tables.
“ Government officials told him he had to replace them with round tables because peo- ple might bump themselves on the corners. Then they said he had to have additional bathroom facilities. It was just a small dairy business with a snack bar. He couldn’t meet all the demands.

“Soon, he went out of business. If the government owned the large businesses and not many small ones existed, it could be in control.

“We had consumer protection, too

Austrian kids loyal to Hitler

“We were told how to shop and what to buy. Free enterprise was essentially abolished. We had a planning agency specially designed for farmers. The agents would go to the farms, count the live-stock, and then tell the farmers what to produce, and how to produce it.

“In 1944, I was a student teacher in a small village in the Alps. The villagers were surrounded by mountain passes which, in the winter, were closed off with snow, causing people to be isolated.

“So people intermarried and offspring were sometimes retarded. When I arrived, I was told there were 15 mentally retarded adults, but they were all useful and did good man- ual work.

“I knew one, named Vincent, very well. He was a janitor of the school. One day I looked out the window and saw Vincent and others getting into a van.

“I asked my superior where they were going. She said to an institution where the State Health Department would teach them a trade, and to read and write. The families were required to sign papers with a little clause that they could not visit for 6 months.

“They were told visits would interfere with the program and might cause homesickness.

“As time passed, letters started to dribble back saying these people died a natural, merciful death. The villagers were not fooled. We suspected what was happening. Those people left in excellent physical health and all died within 6 months. We called this euthanasia.

“Next came gun registration. People were getting injured by guns. Hitler said that the real way to catch criminals (we still had a few) was by matching serial numbers on guns. Most citizens were law abiding and dutifully marched to the police station to register their firearms. Not long afterwards, the police said that it was best for everyone to turn in their guns. The authorities already knew who had them, so it was futile not to comply voluntarily.

“No more freedom of speech. Anyone who said something against the government was taken away. We knew many people who were arrested, not only Jews, but also priests and ministers who spoke up.

“Totalitarianism didn’t come quickly, it took 5 years from 1938 until 1943, to realize full dictatorship in Austria. Had it happened overnight, my countrymen would have fought to the last breath. Instead, we had creeping gradualism. Now, our only weapons were broom handles. The whole idea sounds almost unbelievable that the state, little by little eroded our freedom.”

“This is my eye-witness account.

“It’s true. Those of us who sailed past the Statue of Liberty came to a country of unbelievable freedom and opportunity.

“America is truly is the greatest country in the world. “Don’t let freedom slip away.

“After America, there is no place to go.”

Read More: http://www.pakalertpress.com/2012/12/24/she-surviv...

• Thecharliejay 2013/01/02 01:34:34
    Thecharliejay
    +9
    History goes around in cycles unless these cycles are broken. The cycle needs to break so America doesn't fall into Totalitarianism. It is already starting to happen. The push to change the 2nd amendment for gun laws, people being attacked for expressing themselves and comments on Facebook being deleted because they are on certain subjects.

• Yourmother 2013/02/08 17:36:12
    Yourmother
    +2
    It has nothing in common: Germany was humiliated (especially by France) and was in a real crisis, it didn't even have a damn army to keep some order on it's national soil.
    Before '33 it was a race between the commies that kept spatting BS about the Russian Revolution and the Nazis that spat other BS about national pride and glory going as far as to re-write History claiming some mystical Lord of the Rings style improbable descendance... The Germans (the majority of Germans) chose the Nazis and thus imperialism by the "pure" German race.
    There is a difference between "National Socialism" and "International Socialism".
    If Obama were really like Hitler, all illegal immigrants would disappear (and so would all the opposition).
  • patrick.bonacoscia 2013/01/27 15:39:15
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +1
    The NSDAP (Nazi party) acronym means in german "Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei".

In english it's National Socialist German Workers' Party. Yep there is socialist in the name... and Obama is a leftist. Mussolini started his political career in the Italian Socialist Party before changing his views.

One more thing in Europe like it was before WW2. Before WW2 there was a civil war in spain. Now the risk of civil war is in Greece... and it's not little.
  • schjaz 2013/01/15 17:41:47 (edited)
    schjaz
    +2
    practice your goosestep cause Hitler is already here.
  • patrick... schjaz 2013/01/27 15:36:03
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +2

In english it's National Socialist German Workers' Party. Yep there is socialist in the name...

• schjaz patrick... 2013/01/27 20:39:25
    schjaz
    +1
    and France.
  • patrick... schjaz 2013/01/27 23:23:26
    patrick.bonacoscia
    +2
    yes, might be possible too. Europe was never united anyway. Wait no, it was once under Roman rule.
  • Mike56 2013/01/03 12:59:47
    Mike56
    +3
    Considering Hitler as well as most other totalitarians were far left, why would we be surprised with the similarities?
  • macbeth 2013/01/02 15:57:08
    macbeth
    +3
    I thought everybody knew that Austria welcomed the Germans in the 1930s'.
  • Hawkeye 2013/01/02 15:39:59
    Hawkeye
    +3
    ANYBODY who TRUELY studies the actual History about the rise of the Third Reich cannot possibly avoid or dismiss a compelling TRUTH ..

Germany,, under the Nazis is NOT a story of how Hitler took power.. It is a story of how the people of Germany GAVE Hitler Power in exchange for entitlements in the frace of National Calamity....
  • SJG 2013/01/02 15:19:04
  • ~writersblock~ 2013/01/02 15:01:56
    ~writersblock~
    +2
    I already knew about this, but it's good to hear it from a personal view. Thanks.
  • Mark P. 2013/01/02 13:43:51
    Mark P.
    +3
    Never trust the government.
  • gkirmani 2013/01/02 11:01:31
    gkirmani
    +4
    and soon History will repeat because of silly governemnts??????
  • Ishmael 2013/01/02 10:45:33
    Ishmael
    +2
    Benito Mussolini, the founder of modern Fascism, described it as the convergence of corporate and state power. Now consider that definition in light of this recent Guardian story of how the FBI, local law enforcement AND the big banks coordinated efforts to shut down the Occupy Wall St, Movement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/com...

Compare and contrast. Then ask yourselves if all those guns you're stockpiling will do you any good in the face of a Fascist Police state and the Domestic Surveillance Program.
  • Hawkeye Ishmael 2013/01/02 15:32:30
    Hawkeye
    +2
    OWS was a movement of CRIMINALS that had FAR more in common WITH Mussolini then not..
  • Ishmael Hawkeye 2013/01/02 19:52:07
    Ishmael
    Then perhaps you can explain to me WHY Iceland, broke up THEIR banks, Jailed and indicted their bankers and now has had an economic recovery as a result of those policies.
  • Kiosk Kid Ishmael 2013/01/02 22:28:38 (edited)
    Kiosk Kid
    +1
    Let me slam you with facts.

The Icelandic banking system has been completely overhauled in the wake of its collapse in 2008. There are now three major commercial banks, NBI (commonly referred to as Landsbanki), Arion Bank (formerly Kaupthing Bank) and Islandsbanki (formerly Glitinir). There are smaller banks, including Straumur Investment Bank and MP Bank, and some savings banks. There has been extensive consolidation of smaller banks, with Sparisjodur Keflavikur being taken over by Landsbanki and Byr being taken over by Islandsbanki. There is no bank presently listed on Kauphöll Íslands (the Iceland Stock Exchange). Arion Bank and Islandsbanki are mostly owned by foreign creditors while Landsbanki is now majority owned by the State. The ownership stake of the Icelandic State in the banks is managed by Bankasysla rikisins (State Financial Investments), which aims to privatise its shares in the banks in coming years.

You need to produce facts not party line crap.Did you read the last sentence. The states goal is to privatize it's bank. Sounds like Tarp to me.
  • Mike56 Kiosk Kid 2013/01/04 15:29:13 (edited)
    Mike56
    +1
    The undeniable fact is: the more totalitarian regime is - the more "order" it offers. The vague Wiki article cannot hide that the Iceland government took over the great chunk of it's banking system.

just one example of the Island government intrusion. It doesn't allow parents to name their children as they want, only names from the government list are permitted.
    http://news.yahoo.com/photos/...
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2013/01/02 10:32:20
  • Ozymandias 2013/01/02 08:54:39 (edited)
    Ozymandias
    +1
    Did you people read something that I didn't?

There was only one thing that I read in there which struck a chord:

"‘Deutschland, Deutschland, Uber Alles,"

"America is truly is the greatest country in the world."

Far more dangerous than tax hikes are delusional notions of national pride.
  • Hawkeye Ozymandias 2013/01/02 15:35:09
    Hawkeye
    +1

This is ONLY delusional to the FAR left who HATES America and wishes to see her destruction..
  • Ozymandias Hawkeye 2013/01/02 20:13:18
    Ozymandias
    +1
    So insightful. So profound.

I find nothing in that statement remotely hypocritical, extreme, unfounded or violent.

I'm impressed by your wisdom and intelligence, please what more can you tell me about the far left you confused idiot. Because I think that you, perched high upon your conservative pedestal, have by far the greatest perspective on this entire issue of rationality and party views. Given especially your boundless understanding of German history.

You know how the Nazi's came to power to right?

Note, in particular "extreme nationalism and Pan-Germanism" and you should not overlook "anti-Marxist." So whenever you accuse Obama of being both a Marxist and Fascist, it's kind of a contradiction.

If you knew anything about your own party and the true ideological implications of the third-Reich, you'd realize that the similarities between the moral code advocated by Nazism and that of the democratic party pales in comparison to the same and the republican party.

Because liberals aren't driven by notions of morality. We do not oppose or support social legislation on the grounds that they are spiritually "good" or "bad." We support legislation on the grounds of practicality.
  • Cher 2013/01/02 06:02:11
    Cher
    +3
    Gee sounds like Odumba...
  • goatman112003 2013/01/02 05:41:40
    goatman112003
    +3
    Very close to what we have with the present Fearless Leader.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2013/01/02 05:20:25
  • Cat 2013/01/02 04:10:20
    Cat
    +5
    WAKE UP EVERYONE! Sometimes history really is prophesy.
  • Elementer 2013/01/02 04:02:01
  • ☆astac☆... Elementer 2013/01/02 04:58:53
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +2
    Same ideology
  • Hawkeye Elementer 2013/01/02 15:36:02
    Hawkeye
    +2
    You mean like the LEFT does??
  • Elementer Hawkeye 2013/01/02 20:31:15
    Elementer
    +1
    I mean like both sides do, quit being bias. It's one of the reason the world sucks.
  • Swaps 2013/01/02 03:08:18
    Swaps
    +3
    The true left is anarchy. the right has two levels. totalitarian communism and to its left totalitarian national socialism. do not be brainwashed into thinking america's left and right are opposite. they are side by side just with different degrees. in national socialism you can own private property but the government tells you how to use it. Leflists would be anarchists and to their right libertarians. the constitution and john birchers preach limited govoernment, which is in the middle between anarchy and totalitarians.
  • ~writer... Swaps 2013/01/02 15:07:42
    +6
    Absolute incredible story that will never make of been shown by the propaganda leftist press. They will scream only after their own freedoms are taken away. And ignorant libs keep their head in the sand thinking it will never happen here while slowly boiling like the frog in the pot!
  • MorbidCynic 2013/01/02 02:54:15
    MorbidCynic
    +6
    My stepgrandmother once said obama reminds her of hitler.
  • Studied 2013/01/02 02:34:40
    Studied
    +4
    Thanks for posting this as I do not think most folks really know how Hitler came to power. He made all those wonderful promises and then started on his real agenda. What boggles my mind is anyone who has studied the history of these countries cannot see what is happening. I live in South Florida which has a huge Cuban population and many of the same folks that fled Cuba love Obama. We often discuss the similarities and they just refuse to see it.
  • Dan 2013/01/02 02:15:59
    Dan
    +4
    Those that do not study History, are doomed to repeat it.
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2013/01/02 02:05:26
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +4
    The Austrians were the 'frogs' in the pot. they got boiled before they realized it and WE have people that are acting like frogs and want us ALL to jump in the pot with them.
    NNNOoooooooo!
  • Todd Parsons 2013/01/02 01:52:53
    Todd Parsons
    +5
    True.... All True
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2013/01/02 01:40:19
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +6
    What is even worse is WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED and these people had no clue. They were stupid and ignorant and we're blind!
  • Thecharliejay 2013/01/02 01:34:34
    Thecharliejay
    +9

2014/12/22 13:20:38