Sikh temple gunman was ex-soldier linked to racist group

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/08/07 00:34:33

The gunman who killed six worshipers at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin was identified as a 40-year-old U.S. Army veteran and authorities said they were investigating possible links to white supremacist groups and his membership in skinhead rock bands.
The assailant, shot dead by police at the scene on Sunday, was identified as Wade Michael Page. He served as a soldier in the Army from 1992 to 1998, said police chief John Edwards in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek where the 400-member temple is located.
Survivors described women and children hiding in the pantry of the temple's community kitchen as the gunman stormed through the building. "Everyone was falling on top of one another," said Parminder Toor, 54, speaking in Punjabi as her daughter-in-law, Jaskiran Kaur, translated.
"It was dark and we were all crammed in." One of the women who made it into the pantry had been shot in the hand, and there was "blood everywhere," said Toor.
Federal authorities said they were treating the attack as a possible act of domestic terrorism.
Sikh temple gunman was ex soldier linked to racist group
According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, Page was a member of two racist bands named End Apathy and Definite Hate, "a band whose album 'Violent Victory' featured a gruesome drawing of a disembodied white arm punching a black man in the face."
A MySpace page for a band that appears to be one of those identified by the SPLC, End Apathy, includes songs with titles such as "Self Destruct," "Submission" and "Insignificant," as well as pictures of three heavily tattooed band members.
"The music is a sad commentary on our sick society and the problems that prevent true progress," the band's profile says.
Band T-shirts advertized on the page include one with the Roman numeral 14 -- a number the SPLC said was a reference to the 14-word white supremacist slogan "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."
A YouTube video posted in 2009 of a song by Definite Hate, which appears to have been another Page band, shows a scroll of the lyrics that includes: "Wake Up, White man, For Your Race, And your land," and "Wake Up People Or Your Gonna Die!"
The SPLC pointed to a 2010 interview with white supremacist website Label 56 in which Page said he had played in various bands since 2000, when he left his native Colorado on a motorcycle.
Two years earlier, in 1998, Page had been discharged from the Army for "patterns of misconduct," according to military sources.
Page had served in the military for six years but was never posted overseas. He was a psychological operations specialist and missile repairman who was last stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, the sources said.
In June 1998 he was disciplined for being drunk on duty and had his rank reduced to specialist from sergeant. He was not eligible to re-enlist.
In recent months, Page moved to a suburb of Milwaukee called Cudahy. Peter Hoyt, who lives nearby, said he would often see Page sitting on his porch or walking the neighborhood.
Page talked about an ex-girlfriend who had broken up with him or, sometimes, the Green Bay Packers. "He was friendly with me," Hoyt said. "When I found out it was him, I was astounded."
David Brown, a 62-year-old veteran who wears a Navy hat, recalled only perfunctory greetings with Page, who lived in an apartment below him in South Milwaukee with a woman and her five-year-old son before he moved to Cudahy.
He said Page was a delivery driver and drove a plain white van. He also saw him on several occasions with a guitar case.
"He was very inside himself. He didn't talk much," said Brown. "I would say 'Hi' to him and all I would get would be a 'Hi' back. I tolerated him and he tolerated me."

FBI special agent Teresa Carlson said authorities were interviewing Page's family and associates searching for a motive behind the shooting that killed six people and seriously wounded three, including a police officer, at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.
A fourth person was wounded less seriously.
The dead were five men and one woman, aged between 39 and 84. Members of the Sikh community said the president of the congregation and a priest were among the victims.
American Sikhs around the country added security to temples, with some saying they have been singled out for harassment since the September 11, 2001, attacks because they are mistaken as Muslims due to their colorful turbans and beards.
Describing how the events unfolded, Chief Edwards told reporters the first officer on the scene found a victim in the temple parking lot and went to render assistance. The officer was then shot eight or nine times at very close range with a handgun, Edwards said.
The gunman then fired on a police car, ignoring officers' commands to drop his weapon, and was shot and killed by police.
The wounded officer was identified as Brian Murphy, 51, a 21-year veteran of the force. Even though he had been hit, Murphy had waved away other officers coming to his aid, urging them to go into the temple to help others, Edwards said.
Edwards said they were confident Page was a "lone gunman. The FBI had said it was searching for a person of interest in the case, but a law enforcement official said the person had been located and cleared.

Wade Michael Page reportedly had ties to white supremacist groups and was alleged to be a member of a heavy metal band that promoted an ultra-right-wing 'white power' agenda.

The picture below, supplied by the Anti-Defamation League, shows Page in front of a Nazi symbol.

ultra-right-wing white power agenda picture supplied anti-defamation league nazi symbol
The Southern Poverty Law Center says that Wade Michael Page, the suspected shooter at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, was a singer in a "skinhead" band called End Apathy

GUN BOUGHT LEGALLY

Officials said the weapon Page used was a 9mm handgun that had been legally purchased. Page emptied several magazines and several more unused magazines were found on the scene.
Wisconsin has some of the most permissive gun laws in the country. It passed a law in 2011 allowing citizens to carry a concealed weapon.
President Barack Obama said Americans need to do more "soul searching" to find ways to reduce violence.
"All of us recognize that these kinds of terrible, tragic events are happening with too much regularity," Obama said at a White House bill-signing ceremony when asked whether further gun control measures were needed.
The shooting came just over two weeks after a gunman killed 12 people at a theater in Aurora, Colorado, where they were watching a screening of the new Batman movie.
There are 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States. The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that life's goal is to lead an exemplary existence.
Sikh leaders say the number of incidents of violence against their community in the United States is growing.
At a news conference on Monday, Amardeep Kaleka said his father, Satwant Singh Kaleka, the temple president who was killed, represented the American Dream.
"He came over with $100 in his pocket," the son said. "He worked his behind off, 18 hours a day in some of the worst neighborhoods ... He became a very successful businessman."
Amardeep Singh, program director of the Sikh Coalition, said Sikhs had become "collateral damage" in a 24-hour news machine that uses dark-skinned, bearded, turbaned men as visual shorthand for terrorists.

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/06/us-usa-w...

• Keeping It Real 2012/08/07 03:51:38 (edited)
    Keeping It Real
    +23
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Republiconteabaggers and Faux No News are celebrating privately, because they've been stoking hate against Muslims ( although the victims where not) hispanics, the first African American President, poor people, etc. since the election of Obama .

I believe the hate mongering racists, bigoted rhetoric coming from many on the right, including members of the House and Senate has helped to give the green light to the crazies in this country.

• Keeping... Pat 2012/08/07 04:40:29
    Keeping It Real
    +8
    I have an idea but I'm to tired to go into it now, I'll do so tomorrow!
  • Pat Keeping... 2012/08/07 05:15:11
    +8
    Ok. don't forget! I'd like to hear your idea!
  • Defcon 2012/08/07 03:08:07 (edited)
    Defcon
    +3
    What's your opinion about Islamics and skinheads?I think Islamics are just people practicing Thier religion and some just take it too far and that skinheads are rasict
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Defcon 2012/08/07 04:01:01
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +13
    skinheads are Racist white supremists like the KKK Aryan brother hood and other white power Groups they are notorious hate everyone including other religions as they are Christians
    kkk confedrate kkk confedrate kkk confedrate kkk confedrate flag kkk confedrate  nazi
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Defcon 2012/08/07 04:01:42 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +13
    Islamics are just a religion most are harmless some take it a bit extreme

but these people who got shot are not islamics they are Sikh they are not the same religion they are Very peaceful people sikh sikh religion harmless extreme people shot islamics sikh religion peaceful people
  • moomoof 2012/08/07 02:41:28
    moomoof
    ...ok that happened....why am i not surprised ?
  • Walaa 2012/08/07 02:18:21
    Walaa
    Like people need more of these...
    What an idiot. I hope someone named "Big Joe" gives him a visit to his cell..
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Walaa 2012/08/07 02:42:16
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +7
    he died in the gun battle with the cops
  • Walaa ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/07 02:43:49
    Walaa
    +1
    Yeah I know but I just hoped that maybe that should have happened, excuse me forgetting write this sentence in the past tense, english is a second language to me.
  • A Lionh... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/07 04:33:55
    A Lionheart
    YAY!!! I hope he goes to hel.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... A Lionh... 2012/08/07 04:43:09
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    i hope he is reincarnated in a way to punish him for his actions
    let him come back as the very thing he hated most in this last moments of life
  • A Lionh... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/07 05:26:55
    A Lionheart
    +1
    LOL that would be good. Better yet would be for him to reincarnate as an actual Muslim.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... A Lionh... 2012/08/07 05:32:04
  • darwolf ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/09 04:29:52
    darwolf
    I'm hoping. Odin got a hold of him and showing all new kinds of pain. For trying to drag him into this racist BS.
  • Matt M 2012/08/07 02:18:08
    Matt  M
    +2
    A racist? Really?

Thanks for the big surprise.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/08/07 01:02:45
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    What kind of future for any child is one stained with blood?
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/08/07 00:49:42
    NarcolepticGoat
    +4
    He wasn't even capable of hating competently
  • halfbreed 2012/08/07 00:47:27
    halfbreed
    +2
    When are we gone to stop looking at how we are different and see how we are the same. We are all a part of mankind. We are all citizens of this planets. When does the hate stop. And does this earth stop getting covered in her own children's blood.
  • A Lionh... halfbreed 2012/08/07 04:35:57
    A Lionheart
    +2
    When we get rid of religious nuts who think "their way" is "THE way". Muslim or christian.
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/08/07 00:46:03 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
    +2
    Yea, yea, Hmmmm, ho-hummm.
    Another person taking out his aggressions with his 2nt amendment rights, with the gun of his choice that he has the right to bear, and use at his discression, because it's his right!!!!!
    It's life in a free society as we see it.
    Seriously I don't see all the hysteria about this shooting, they are starting to happen every day, and you would think we would get use to being a society that has the right to bear arms and be proud that we can, Right?????
    So what is the problem, a few more Americans are dead, but your still alive, and you still have the right to bear arms to protect yourself from others that have the same right.
    Wonder who's getting killed tomorrow?????
  • Sadisticon Picasso... 2012/08/07 07:14:19
    Sadisticon
    +1
    Even through the snark I detected the sorrow.
    I am sad, too.
  • reaper 2012/08/07 00:45:38
    reaper
    +4
    to bad some people are still massive idiots.

people massive idiots
  • Sadisticon reaper 2012/08/07 07:14:51
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/08/07 00:41:56
  • All American 2012/08/07 00:39:47
    All American
    Here it comes: the liberal media is going to pin this on conservatism, republicans, the Tea Party, Palin, the right and everyone else except the person who did it. MSNBC is going to have a field day with this. I hope the general public sees through this.
  • reaper All Ame... 2012/08/07 00:43:45
  • All Ame... reaper 2012/08/07 01:37:28
    All American
    +1
    He's a screwball, too.
  • reaper All Ame... 2012/08/07 01:40:23
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... reaper 2012/08/07 02:30:07
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    i think i threw up a little bit after seeing that
  • All Ame... reaper 2012/08/07 12:56:31 (edited)
    All American
    He's a screwball, too. He's not pinning it on the left, though.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... All Ame... 2012/08/07 00:44:57
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +8
    the only person i blame is the person who did it
  • SA ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/07 00:55:55
  • Bloodle... All Ame... 2012/08/07 01:05:02 (edited)
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    Are you completely insensitive? People DIED and you're worried who blames for what?
  • All Ame... Bloodle... 2012/08/07 01:36:44
    All American
    I'm sure you meant the libbies are insensitive; they're the ones who will politicize this. You stand corrected.
  • Bloodle... All Ame... 2012/08/07 03:24:01
    BloodlessVeins
    +2
    Daw is not insensitive. I guarantee that. I do not stand corrected.
  • All Ame... Bloodle... 2012/08/07 12:57:18
    All American
    I already corrected you. You're welcome.
  • Bloodle... All Ame... 2012/08/07 14:46:20
    BloodlessVeins
    There was nothing to be corrected.
    We need to focus on what do to about the shootings. There may be a surge happening.
  • All Ame... Bloodle... 2012/08/07 14:59:58 (edited)
    All American
    I agree that we need to focus.
  • Bloodle... All Ame... 2012/08/07 16:02:32 (edited)
    BloodlessVeins
    Great. First: The Victims. Donations are available for both, but Warner Brothers has donated a great amount to Aurora Colorado Shooting. For the Sikh temple, they have also met their quota. That is, well better news. Since, money isn't going to bring back their loved ones, but at least they can bury them honorably.
    I do want to learn and am trying to learn more about gun protection laws, where it stands. But I just keep getting articles about how Colorado isn't trying to do something about their gun laws. I didn't read anything about gun laws, because I thought it wouldn't apply with me. There is where I am wrong.
  • foy49 All Ame... 2012/08/07 04:21:26
    foy49
    +2
    It would seem that you are already at it.

2014/11/27 10:42:55