Showdown in Florida: Lawsuits fly as Florida continues to purge its voting roles. Whose Side Are you on?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/12 12:08:08
The Battle Royal begins in Florida. In this corner we have Governor Rick Scott, who wants to purge the Florida Voting Roles of 182,000 SUSPECTED illegal voters.

Governor Rick Scott

In this corner we have the United States Federal Government, who says that this is an attempt at voter suppression. The Department of Justice has ORDERED, the state of Florida to stop purging its voter roles in this fashion.

Department of Justice

The Justice Department said it will sue Florida in federal court for
violating two federal laws that prevent states from suppressing voters.
The state will be subject to "enforcement action," the agency said in a
curtly worded letter.

Ring Girl Round 1
Hours earlier, Florida filed a lawsuit of its own against the federal
government. Secretary of State Ken Detzner, who oversees elections, sued
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, accusing the agency of
denying access to a federal database with information about immigrants.
The lawsuit claims the federal agency forced the state to run afoul of
at least one of the two federal voting laws the Justice Department
accuses it of flouting.

So Whose side are you on: The State of Florida and Rick Scott or the Federal government Department of Justice?

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/rick-scot...

• JP 2012/06/12 13:15:15
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    JP
    +11
    If you are dead or are here without becoming a citizen, you do not get to vote.

• Seonag Jeremiah 2012/06/16 14:51:45
    Seonag
    And there is basically no difference except the DOJ ignored the local Democrats when they screamed about the 'purging.' Why? Because Tennessee is NOT a swing state. Go figure!
  • Jeremiah Seonag 2012/06/16 19:16:04
    Jeremiah
    Which is exactly the reason Scott was ordered to do his purge by Karl Rove and the Koch brothers.
  • Seonag Jeremiah 2012/06/17 12:49:43
    Seonag
    BS --- prove those stupid allegations! Or maybe we should say Obama and Holder are following Soris' directions --- same stupid BS!
  • Jeremiah Seonag 2012/06/18 14:45:26
    Jeremiah
    So you admit you are spouting BS. Nice of you to say so.
  • Seonag Jeremiah 2012/06/18 14:49:57
    Seonag
    Nice try on your part to try to try the normal liberal ploy of saying the other did it! YOU are so full of it!
  • Jeremiah Seonag 2012/06/18 15:05:59
    Jeremiah
    I am only agreeing with you. How could I be any nicer? You must mean I am full of kindness. Again, nice of you to say so.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/06/12 15:59:32
    I support the department of justice and believe it is voter suppression.
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    I don't trust the state of Florida to do the right thing. Need I remind anybody that even though Bush got the count to be "officially" stopped the counting continued & Al Gore won the state of Florida. Too bad Bush had been handed the presidency by the SCOTUS by that time.

Already American citizens have received letters because their last names sound Latino. Have we forgotten that elderly black voters have been denied their right to vote because mid-wives delivered them & their births were never recorded in the states where they were born?

I agree, only breathing, qualified American citizens should be voting. The way Florida (and other Republican states) are going about enforcing the voter laws is voter suppression & must be stopped by any means necessary.
  • Studied #Justic... 2012/06/12 16:52:34
    Studied
    +3
    Sorry, but what Florida and other states are doing is trying to enforce the law. The Feds need to stay out of this.
  • Jeremiah Studied 2012/06/12 17:04:15
    Jeremiah
    +2
    They are not enforcing any law if they are in violation of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/12 17:54:02
    Hawkeye
    +3
    The Voting Right's Act of 1965 does NOT make it illegal to insure that ILLEGAL votes and Voter Fraud don't have a role in the American Voting process..

That's like saying that the Civil Right's Act of 1964 makes it ILLEGAL to arrest ANY Minority for ANY crime that they may have committed..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/12 19:32:52
    Jeremiah
    +2
    It makes it illegal to disenfranchise entire groups of people (anyone with a Hispanic name, for example) on questionable grounds, like "voter fraud."

You obviously haven't read the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which says nothing of the kind. I thought we were having a serious discussion, but now you want to be silly.
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/12 20:58:49
    Hawkeye
    +2
    I KNOW what it makes ILLEGAL and what it doesn't.. Obviously.. YOU can't tell the difference between Discrimmination and LAW ENFORCEMENT..

It's not aimed at Hispanics.. It's aimed a LAW breakers.. If they happen to BE Hispanic,, So BE it.. If NOT and they're still illegal,, they get treated just like any other Illegal Voter..

An ILLEGAL Voter is NEVER disinfranchized by Voter ID verification laws.. They have ZERO Legal Standing to be disinfranchize from..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/13 16:27:38
    Jeremiah
    There is no evidence that all those people with Hispanic-sounding names are law breakers. If they are not being targeted, why do so many of them appear on the purge lists?

Scott is disenfranchising entire groups of eligible voters, including people with names that are similar to those of convicted felons.
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/13 16:42:43
    Hawkeye
    You know.. YOU just gotta quit banging your head against that brick wall..

The REASON why there are so many hispanics on the list is because there are that many Hispanics voting ILLEGALLY.. Florida is right up there near the top when it comes to the presence of Illegals within it's borders..

YOU have NO evidence that Scott is disinfranchizing ANYBODY let alone entire groups.... NONE..

You just run your mouth like the TYPICAL Left WInger fully confident that no matter HOW outrageously you LIE and no matter the FACT that you have ZERO evidence to back up those lies,, there will be SOME who believe you..

What a PATHETIC little human being you must be.. What a SAD case of LOW Self Esteem you must suffer from that you need to LIE about things like this to make yourself feel useful.. To make yourself appear to be a decent human being..

I'd be angry at the lies if I weren't already filled with PITY for you..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/13 17:29:29
    Jeremiah
    There is no evidence that any illegal alien is actually voting in Florida or any other state. This is a scare tactic used to drum up support for a purging of potential Democratic voters from the lists, and it apparently worked with you.

The evidence is in the number of Scott's purges that have turned out to be eligible voters––95%. He and the Koch brothers and Karl Rove are hoping they won't have time to prove themselves eligible in court, which is why they are doing it so close to the November election. Rick and Karl and the Kochs don't like a level playing field.

So now you resort to personal attacks? I guess that means you have run out of cogent arguments. I accept your surrender.
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/13 17:48:09
    Hawkeye
    Show me "The evidence is in the number of Scott's purges that have turned out to be eligible voters––95%."

Go on hotshot.. SHOW me.. And I mean REAL evidence..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/13 18:34:32
    Jeremiah
    Sure, and you can show me evidence that his purge is turning up names of dead people and illegals. And I mean REAL evidence.
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/13 18:47:10
    Hawkeye
    I'm not making the accusation hotshot.. YOU ARE..

Typical Left Winger..

"All that I have to do is toss any ole lie OUT there and it's up to everybody else to prove that I'm LYING "..

Doesn't WORK that way,, Hotshot..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/14 14:34:47
    Jeremiah
    Hotshot? Is that your word of the day?

Where is your evidence?
  • Hawkeye Jeremiah 2012/06/14 18:24:22
    Hawkeye
    I'm not going to do this all day..

YOU made UP the accusation.. It's up to YOU to prove them.. it's NOT up to me to disprove them..

And I'll tell you something else.. That you're trying to turn this around demonstrates to everyone here that you don't know what the hell you're talking about..

Does THAT clear it up for you???

HOTSHOT..
  • Jeremiah Hawkeye 2012/06/14 18:47:16
    Jeremiah
    No one is forcing you to reply. Also, no one is turning anything around, except for your head, which seems to be spinning. The only thing you have cleared up is the degree of your density.

Are you aware that most of the people who have been tasked with purging voters for Scott say they refuse to purge another name regardless of the outcome of the lawsuits? Even they know what is going on in that state is wrong.

Here's another item:

Florida Governor Rick Scott recently passed a law requiring all new voters in the state to submit their completed voter registration forms within 48 hours of filling them out. If they wait even a minute longer than that allotted time, the forms become void. While the law may not sound absurd at first blush, things get more complicated when you consider how many people register through third parties -- like volunteers from the League of Women Voters. And how many newly-registered voters are Democrats and Independents.

"The debate's over," Scott told CNN. "We know we have almost 100 individuals that have registered to vote that are non-U.S. citizens. Over 50 of them have voted in our elections."

Earlier counts by Florida officials suggested that they'd found 87 non-citizens on the voter rolls, 47 of whom had voted. That was out of a list of 2,700 potent...

Here's another item:

Earlier counts by Florida officials suggested that they'd found 87 non-citizens on the voter rolls, 47 of whom had voted. That was out of a list of 2,700 potential names pared down from an original catalogue of around 182,000. The final list was also judged to have contained 500 names of voters who were legitimate U.S. citizens.

According to a Miami-Herald analysis, more than 60 percent of the voters on the list are black or Latino. –– Miami Herald

Now let's see your evidence, Big Stuff.
  • momma-o... Studied 2012/06/12 21:18:40
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    Hope you don't mind the piggy back Studied, I guess I'm blocked above . Last time I checked Gore "might of maybe won" IF all the "over votes" were obtained/counted and given to only him, you know the ones who counted a punch vote and hand written one also (counting as 2 votes)
    The results of the study showed that had the limited county by county recounts requested by the Gore team been completed, Bush would still have been the winner of the election. However, the study also showed that the result of a statewide recount of all disputed ballots could have been different. The study was unable to review the ballots in Broward and Volusia that were counted as legal votes during the manual recounts thus analysis included those figures that were obtained using very loose standards in its calculations. Since these recounts resulted in a sizable net gain for Gore (665 net Gore votes) they have no bearing on the assessment that Bush would likely have won the recounts requested by Gore and ordered by the Florida Supreme Court. They do however play a major role in the assessment that Gore could have won a recount of the entire state if overvotes were taken into account. Without these votes Gore would have lost a recount of the entire state even with all ove...
    The results of the study showed that had the limited county by county recounts requested by the Gore team been completed, Bush would still have been the winner of the election. However, the study also showed that the result of a statewide recount of all disputed ballots could have been different. The study was unable to review the ballots in Broward and Volusia that were counted as legal votes during the manual recounts thus analysis included those figures that were obtained using very loose standards in its calculations. Since these recounts resulted in a sizable net gain for Gore (665 net Gore votes) they have no bearing on the assessment that Bush would likely have won the recounts requested by Gore and ordered by the Florida Supreme Court. They do however play a major role in the assessment that Gore could have won a recount of the entire state if overvotes were taken into account. Without these votes Gore would have lost a recount of the entire state even with all overvotes added in. Unless 495 or more of those votes were actual votes then Gore still would lose. Note these figures also do not take into account a dispute over 500 asbentee ballots that Bush requested to be added to the certified totals. If found to be legal votes that would put Gore totally out of reach regardless of any manual recount standard.
  • #Justic... Studied 2012/06/13 00:47:53
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Enforce the law when they are breaking the Voting Rights Act? Get serious.
  • getu 2012/06/12 15:49:27
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    getu
    +7
    I'm on the side of law and common sense. The Feds need some remedial coursework and a good dictionary so they can understand the meaning of the laws of this country - perhaps then they could understand what their roles in this country should be.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/06/12 15:02:44
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    TruBluTopaz
    +5
    By law
    Those that have passed on should not be sent voter registration cards.
    Those that are incarcerated for felonies should not be sent voter registration cards.
    Those who are registered in more than one precinct should not be sent additional voter registration cards.
    Students who are registered "at home" should not be sent voter registration cards.
    People living here under false identities for the purpose of not going through legal procedures to become citizens should not be sent voter registration cards.
    What's the problem?
  • john Kills 2012/06/12 15:01:08
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    john Kills
    +7
    Florida is right and holder is wrong again. I am wondering if holder and barry are related. Neither one of them can make a correct decision, not one right answer from either one.
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/06/12 14:52:23
  • getu Contard... 2012/06/12 15:52:22
    getu
    +3
    Here's a point for your mastery of the ability to ignore the world around you!
  • Contard... getu 2012/06/12 15:53:53
  • John "By God" American 2012/06/12 14:45:24
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    John "By God" American
    +6
    All they have to do is provide whatever their required documentation is. "Department of Justice" my butt! Those words are mutually exclusive...
  • lolo 2012/06/12 14:34:48
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    lolo
    +4
    182,000 suspected ILLEGAL voters is nothing to sneeze at. This needs to be fixed asap before the Nov. election.
  • Jeremiah lolo 2012/06/12 17:02:30
    Jeremiah
    Only about 5% of them have been found to be illegal. The rest are being suppressed.
  • Birthpangs 2012/06/12 14:01:22
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/06/12 13:47:45
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/06/12 13:39:14 (edited)
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +8
    Obama did it to be unopposed by lawyers purging signed petions why is it wrong to get cheaters off the roles?? In 1996, Obama was elected to the Illinois State Senate from the south side neighborhood of Hyde Park, in Chicago's 13th District. An element of controversy surrounded the election, due to Obama's legal challenges to the petition signatures of all 4 opponents in the race, resulting in their subsequent disqualification Incumbent, Alice Palmer, following an unsuccessful bid at Congress, chose to defend her Illinois Senate seat despite having less than 2 days to gather the required petition signatures to run. Her campaign asked Obama, who she had previously supported, to step down. Not only did he not do so, he challenged the petition signatures of her and the other 3 candidates in the race, managing to disqualify enough to ensure he could run unopposed on the ballot. Grounds for dismissal of signatures included signatures printed but not signed, valid but collected by someone underage, and valid for the 1995 polling sheets but not the more recent 1996 ones.
  • Mr. T 2012/06/12 13:36:04
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Mr. T
    +8
    Scott ALL THE WAY.
  • Grandpa 2012/06/12 13:32:07 (edited)
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Grandpa
    +7
    Tell the feds to stick it as we run our state by the rule of law >> Vote wise in 2012 ,and rid the goverment of the dictator attuide, The dead have no vote not even by proxey < nor do convicted felons >> Mind your own damn bussiness >> We need picture ID , same as we do to cash a check or drive a car >>> Get off the BS it's NOT NEEDED to provent fraud
  • Waldorf 2012/06/12 13:26:08
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Waldorf
    +4
    DOJ did not say it was "voter suppression". I recall they said they had not certified the procedure. It has spun out of control like so many other stories. The integrity of the DOJ position wil be evidenced by how long it takes them to give Florida the green light. I read where Holder already is talking about making it easy to register, which to me is clearly a bias toward minorities. "Easy" is code for making fraud conveniently probable.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/06/12 13:16:05
    Wahvlvke
    +3
    Oooops! Wrong answer by mistake. It isn't voter supression when someone who is not supposed to vote is not allowed to vote. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Keeping voter rolls correct is the responsible thing to do.
  • Assassi... Wahvlvke 2012/06/12 13:34:31
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Yes, and purging 180,000 voters that "may" be illegal when so far less than 5 percent have actually been found illegal and less than 2% have actually voted tells me that the other 95% percent in the purge are being "suppressed".

2014/10/24 19:03:20