Showdown in Florida: Lawsuits fly as Florida continues to purge its voting roles. Whose Side Are you on?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/12 12:08:08
The Battle Royal begins in Florida. In this corner we have Governor Rick Scott, who wants to purge the Florida Voting Roles of 182,000 SUSPECTED illegal voters.

Governor Rick Scott

In this corner we have the United States Federal Government, who says that this is an attempt at voter suppression. The Department of Justice has ORDERED, the state of Florida to stop purging its voter roles in this fashion.

Department of Justice

The Justice Department said it will sue Florida in federal court for
violating two federal laws that prevent states from suppressing voters.
The state will be subject to "enforcement action," the agency said in a
curtly worded letter.

Ring Girl Round 1
Hours earlier, Florida filed a lawsuit of its own against the federal
government. Secretary of State Ken Detzner, who oversees elections, sued
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, accusing the agency of
denying access to a federal database with information about immigrants.
The lawsuit claims the federal agency forced the state to run afoul of
at least one of the two federal voting laws the Justice Department
accuses it of flouting.

So Whose side are you on: The State of Florida and Rick Scott or the Federal government Department of Justice?

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/rick-scot...

• JP 2012/06/12 13:15:15
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    JP
    +11
    If you are dead or are here without becoming a citizen, you do not get to vote.

• Wag 2012/06/14 20:15:03
    I support the department of justice and believe it is voter suppression.
    Wag
    +1
    Its a republican thing....Ask the Indiana election chief what voter fraud is, he was booted from office.......
    voter fraud indiana
  • Wag Wag 2012/06/14 20:24:13
    Wag
    so who is actually commiting voter fraud...looks like the crazys, oka REPUBLICANS
  • RomneyRainbow 2012/06/13 19:48:55
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    RomneyRainbow
    We definitely need to overhaul all of the people who are dead, have moved and so on. There is nothing wrong with this at all. Maybe instead of the DOJ spending hundreds of millions of dollars every year just to send people to watch over elections in MS, AL, GA and etc. (due to past old civil rights cases), they can spend the money more effectively to modernize voting overall.

BAD VOTER
  • schjaz 2012/06/13 17:01:40
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    schjaz
    +1
    every state has to do this....ppl die...ppl move and the list needs to be updated. FL also has the right to deny voting to anyone who is not a citizen...i believe the state is mandated by law to do it.
  • Wag schjaz 2012/06/14 20:22:26
    Wag
    A jury from Hamilton County, just north of Indianapolis, deliberated for 13 hours before convicting Republican Secretary of State Charlie White on six felony charges. Among other things, White was accused of lying about his address on voter registration forms.
  • Old Timer 2012/06/13 16:47:16
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Old Timer
    +2
    Get rid of the ILLEGALS AND THE DEAD
  • Wag Old Timer 2012/06/14 20:21:48
    Wag
  • Old Timer Wag 2012/06/15 10:50:26
    Old Timer
    +1
    DAMN was that the most serious? OBAMA has a CONNECTICUT SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, and a BOGUS SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION, AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER BE INVESTIGATED OR CHARGED BY MR HOLDER.
  • Theresa 2012/06/13 04:31:33
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Theresa
    +1
    Get rid of the illegals and purge the dead!
  • Wag Theresa 2012/06/14 20:21:39
    Wag
    +1
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    +2
    Voter purge is the correct way to ensure a clean vote!
  • Wag wtw 2012/06/14 20:24:31
    Wag
  • wtw Wag 2012/06/15 03:23:00
    +1
    Voter fraud is wrong and needs severe punishment whether dem or repub!
  • Buoyant Leadraft 2012/06/12 23:44:35
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +1
    This is how Republicans win.
  • schjaz Buoyant... 2012/06/13 17:02:51
    schjaz
    +1
    Well, if Dems have resort to unlawful means to win, then they SHOULD lose.
  • Wag Buoyant... 2012/06/14 20:21:12
    Wag
    +1
    unless they (republinuts) get caught:

• Buoyant... Wag 2012/06/14 20:33:46
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +1
    Republicans are rotten from the inside out! Bunch of crooks!
    GOP crooks
  • Freeranger 2012/06/12 22:50:43
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Freeranger
    +3
    I support the drive to promote legal voters. Show yer proof.
  • DoxieDad 2012/06/12 22:39:42
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    DoxieDad
    +4
    I support my home state of Florida in this argument. To listen to media reports you would think that Governor Scott and the Florida elections board started this purge attempt three weeks ago. This has been going on between Florida and the Fed for almost three years. Every attempt by the state to gain access to the DHS data base information has been stonewalled by Eric Holder and the Washington liberal elite. At this point it would seem nothing more then bad press to continue but my home state says they have a compelling case and I support their court action.
  • Raymond Allamby 2012/06/12 22:34:17
    Raymond Allamby
    +2
    voldemort is back, but since he couldn't kill harry potter, he's trying to kill the united states. federal law dictates that you show id to register. it also stipulates that anyone who was registered in a registration drive, has their name flagged, and must show id before voting the first time. a couple of votes cannot turn an election, but election fraud, can turn thousands of votes, and that can turn an election. if you support voldemort, in arbitrarily picking names, and forcing them to prove citizenship, then you also support the police arbitrarily stopping drivers, and forcing them to prove they're sober before they can drive again.
  • kmay 2012/06/12 21:22:05
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    kmay
    +5
    ILLEGALS should not be on the voter roles!!
  • Idiot repubs 2012/06/12 21:20:35
    Idiot repubs
    +2
    A friend of mine in Florida got her voter card sent to her with her name mis-spelled after voting for 30+ years. She had to waste a day getting it fixed because they would have used it to prevent her from voting, Oh yeah, she's a dem.
  • lady_c5... Idiot r... 2012/06/13 00:58:06
    lady_c5_loadmaster
    +2
    Hey at least she got it cleared up and is able to vote in Nov. That is all they are asking people to do. If you have to show a picture ID to write a check or use your credit card what is wrong with having to show it to do something as important as voting? How is this surpressing voters?
  • Cognito22 Idiot r... 2012/06/13 03:39:21
    Cognito22
    I wonder if her name correctly spelled was also on the rolls.
  • Idiot r... Cognito22 2012/06/13 11:59:04
    Idiot repubs
    She was going this Monday, I didn't hear the followup yet.
  • schjaz Idiot r... 2012/06/13 17:03:56
    schjaz
    I got my voter new voter card sent to me with the wrong zip code....glitches happen.
  • Idiot r... schjaz 2012/06/14 01:15:15
    Idiot repubs
    Better get it fixed!
  • schjaz Idiot r... 2012/06/14 17:08:35
    schjaz
    its done.
  • Idiot r... schjaz 2012/06/14 18:18:41
    Idiot repubs
    I don't want to see anyone not be able to vote that is eligible.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/06/12 21:17:57
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    DuncanONeil
    +4
    Not only is it the thing to do, it is legal as well.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/12 21:17:10 (edited)
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +5
    Why would anyone support illegal aliens, dead people, out of staters, felons, to vote in any election.....

hmm, another question is "Do you trust eric holder to be impartial?"
  • RomneyR... Bob, th... 2012/06/13 19:57:13
    RomneyRainbow
    +1
    It's about time for people to see how this current administration, almost all of them, are severly lacking in intelligence. I just don't know who is worse, Obama, Holder, Geithner. PLEASE get rid of these people before they get rid of us!!

BUSTED
    HOLDER DUMB
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/06/12 21:11:11
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
  • l 2012/06/12 21:10:34
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    l
    +4
    All States should keep a closer eye on voter registration and make absolutly sure there is no voter fraud of any kind!
  • momma-on-the-hit-list 2012/06/12 20:51:03
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +5
    It is the law, we like to keep it that way .
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    +8
    The state of Florida's Side ..
    IF you are DEAD .. if you're ILLEGAL (NOT a citizen) ..
    then yes, PURGE them from the Voter Rolls asap ..
  • Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/12 19:05:24
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
  • Flowers 2012/06/12 19:00:46
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Flowers
    +7
    While some of the names may not be accurate, I support the attempt at making sure the voter record is clear of any illegals or people who do not exist. When has our government ever had 100% accuracy in anything? The terrorist watch list has TONS AND TONS of names that shouldn't be there, resulting in extreme inconveniences for the unfortunate souls but I doubt there are many here who would support removing the terrorist list all together.

Voter fraud IS a concern, it DOES happen and I personally am glad Rick Scott is doing what is unpopular in order to make sure FL doesn't allow people to vote who shouldn't. What's the point of voting at all if our own government allows the process to be corrupted?
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/06/12 18:55:28
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +8
    I think every qualified voter needs to be able to vote...... I am not
    for illegal immigrants, Residents of Greenlawn and characters at Disneyland
    having a vote. Ever illegal vote nullifies a legitimate vote of the opposition,
    and that is Un American. I would hope every American would want a fair
    election.

Greenlawn cemetary
  • Kane Fernau 2012/06/12 18:53:46 (edited)
    I support Rick Scott in the voter Purge
    Kane Fernau
    +7
    What does it tell you that democrats are against stopping voter fraud. There is nothing worse than the Department of JUSTICE obstructing JUSTICE.

2014/04/17 04:23:17