Shouldn't women get paid same as men for same job?

ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/04/06 22:58:22
Related Topics: Equal Pay, Job
yes
undecided
maybe
no
equal pay equal work

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilly_Ledbetter_Fair_...

• ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/04/06 23:56:37
    yes
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/04/06 23:45:55
    yes
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Should women pay less for products they buy? Then why should employers pay less for what they are buying? Employers buy a person's time, skill, effort. experience and knowledge. That should be what determines pay.
  • mamacrash 2012/04/06 23:43:12
    yes
    mamacrash
    +3
    If you are doing the same job why not get paid the same?
  • Bill 2012/04/06 23:42:49
    yes
    Bill
    +4
    Isn't this old news? Workers in union shops have had that for a very long time. The women I worked with made the same as I did.
  • kudabux 2012/04/06 23:41:17
    yes
    kudabux
    +4
    Why is that even debatable?
  • boots 2012/04/06 23:40:36 (edited)
    no
    boots
    Because I don't wanna !!! cry baby
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/04/06 23:40:21
    yes
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    +1
    that is assuming they actually do a good job
  • Yosyp 2012/04/06 23:38:55
    yes
    Yosyp
    +4
    can't understand why they shouldn't receive same pay if they do the same work
  • gaylehelen 2012/04/06 23:34:36
    yes
    gaylehelen
    +2
    Same work, same pay.
  • Murph 65 2012/04/06 23:34:21
    no
    Murph 65
    No, but it ought to be close. Unpopular idea, I know. Women, however, take time off to have babies - cost to boss to replace her, now paying her and whoever to sit in; or he moves someone already there into her position to help out, costs him money and the people who work there have to take on extra duties. Women can decide to leave job and stay home - same result as above. Usually it's the mom who takes time off for sick kids, and anything else that needs to be done pertaining to kids. Effect to boss, hiring and training new personnel and expenditure of more money.
  • Yosyp Murph 65 2012/04/06 23:43:44
    Yosyp
    +5
    If she is doing the same work as the man she should be paid same wages, those things you talk about are assumptons that all women will do this or that , should all women be punished because some might take off to have babies or take care of sick children. If they received same pay the man might be the one to care for the sick child. although I think using such argument is irrelevant in the first place.
  • Murph 65 Yosyp 2012/04/07 00:30:00
    Murph 65
    You are more than entitled to your opinion. I know mine is very unpopular. And my sex mostly dislikes my views on most everything. However, have worked for less in wages, have been the breadwinner, have taken off to have children and take care of children and all the rest of it. My stance is still the same. Oh, yeah, I don't believe the Masters should cave and let women in there either.
  • saturda... Murph 65 2012/04/07 03:21:17
    saturdayschild
    +2
    I agree, but the majority don't see that, or don't want to see that. Do so many people want to deny male/female differences?
  • Murph 65 saturda... 2012/04/07 14:23:49
    Murph 65
    They can deny all they want, but they can't make the differences change. Now, altering my opinion somewhat - I do not care who the "main breadwinner" in the family is, mom or pop. If dad is the official "go to guy," and mom works 8 hours, 5 days a week, and is always there with dad doing the "pick up" work, maybe the salaries ought to be more in line. This is a sticky question and people have very strong views on the subject. But as I see it, mom is the one who is out from work having the babies. Mom is the one who is out from work taking care of sick babies. Mom is the one out from work to take care of whatever comes up at school. And when the kids are grown and on their own? If mom is still working, mom is the one that then sometimes has to work in taking care of the grandchildren. It ain't fair. Life ain't fair and then you die.
  • Rave Murph 65 2012/04/07 12:52:00
    Rave
    +3
    But the problem is, not every woman wants children or has a typical family. So women should be automatically paid less because of their sex? That is unequal opportunity.
  • Murph 65 Rave 2012/04/07 14:25:23
    Murph 65
    That's between her and her boss. If she is not going to have children, fine, she and her boss can work it out. Not the government's business. However, if she is not going to have children, then marries, whatever, and has kids, is culpable for lying to her boss? Still between boss and employee and not the government's business.
  • Rave Murph 65 2012/04/07 15:24:31
    Rave
    +3
    I don't think it's the government's business either, I just don't think it is rational to pay someone less because of the gender.

If a woman has good qualifications for a job, it should not be assumed she is going to work less because she's a woman, many women do have kids and marry but still spent equal time at work (Hire helpers, the father takes care of the kids, daycare etc.)
    Especially women with really important jobs.

And then many women that get into their careers have no desire to have children or raise a family anyhow.

Yes it's between the boss and her, but it shouldn't be socially assumed that all women will work less, because it will simply make bosses believe that it is okay to pay all women workers less.
  • Murph 65 Rave 2012/04/07 16:02:42
    Murph 65
    No one said anything about a woman working less at the job. The problem, between employer and employee, is how much time away from job does the employee have to spend. That issue then gets into the business's bottom line and the money the employer has after paying salaries, insurance, health care, etc. all those things that are paid by employer, for him to have for his family. Women, unfortunately, take the brunt of it due to their sex, opportunities, and available choices. I'm not denying it isn't completely equal or perfect. It just is what it is.
  • yes
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +6
    It should not matter if you are a man or woman, If they can do the job, then that is what matters and should be rewarded accordingly.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/04/06 23:30:36
    yes
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +7
    I see the male chauvanist pigs have chimed in. They must've been dropped on their head (with the brain in it) when they were infants.

equal pay equal work
  • ehrhornp 2012/04/06 23:30:01
    yes
    ehrhornp
    +4
    Only problem with women is that they may have to take time off to give birth. But this is a minor problem in the scope of things. Men don't have that problem. In any case it sure doesn't justify paying women less who are past menopsuse, incapable or not wanting to have children, or already have their children.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 00:14:21
    Dana
    In some work places the father will also get time off to adjust with the new baby. This is a GOOD thing, very positive for the work place.
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 00:31:07
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I agree and in Europe I believe it is wide spread. Don't think it is all that common in the US though. Socialism you know.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 00:35:40
    Dana
    I heard in France, the family gets time off to just be with the baby and grow as a family. Pretty cool, I think! And they say there is a much lower divorce rate and higher job productivity because people are happier.

What a novel idea! (Wish others in this country could figure that out. :)
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 00:59:57
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Only logical. I think the same situation exists in Germany. We have some friends who live in Germany and both were given time off to be with the new baby. The US is really very primitive.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 01:44:37
    Dana
    We are! And what's hilarious to me, is that the knuckleads in the USA actually hate the GOOD things that other countries do! We could learn so much and be so much more progressive than we are. But egads, the conservatives would prefer we went back to pre civil war era.
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 01:55:42
    ehrhornp
    +1
    And all they can say is its socialism. bad, evil, not good. What jerks. Perhaps the worst thing is that they don't realize that the United States is not the best place to live. The rest of the world have caught up with us and in some cases surpassed us.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 02:53:27
    Dana
    I agree! My daughter constantly says she wants to live in Europe that the USA is filled with Neanderthal slopeheads!

I really have not been anywhere else, other than a few days in Canada and Mexico... and would love to see how others live. I was extremely impressed by Canadians though!
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 07:58:42
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Last summer we took a cruize that went from Amsterdam through the Baltic. The US could learn something from them. Our war on drugs is just a huge waste of money. Shame this country didn't learn anything from prohibition.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 17:04:18
    Dana
    I have heard about Holland, and they just do not waste time and money on stupid stuff. What a novel idea? And I think Obama wanted to incorporate great ideas from around the world to make the US the best it could be. But the man can not do anything positive without being shot to hell by the conservative dinosaurs.
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 17:21:16
    ehrhornp
    The republicans are just flip flopping themselves to death. Before they were for such things as mandates, cap and trade, now they are not, then they are again. and to think they have criticized democrats for flip flopping. What hypocrites.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 18:52:50
    Dana
    +1
    I think this GOP congress will flat out do whatever is opposite the president, totally irregardless of anything he proposes, and they have favored in the past... no matter what. It is pure hatred, to the point that they see red every time he even opens his mouth.

I think they should all be recalled, every one of them who flat out refuses to do their job and work for the people who pay their salaries. But for them this is just a game to play and the 99% of the people, mean nothing to them. They have an agenda, it is to make sure that a black man can not be successful, at whatever the cost.

Too bad they actually have support for their games, but the posts on SH prove that America may be a great country, but we still have some of the dumbest people on earth.
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 19:09:18 (edited)
    ehrhornp
    +1
    The democrats should run on impeaching the 5 so called conservative justices on the bench. They are nothing but legislating from the bench. Time to put an end to this.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 21:58:58
    Dana
    Ohhhhh such a GREAT idea!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!!
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 22:34:48
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Yes it would. Unfortunately the democrats are too conservative and would never do it. They should have run on this ever since the court stole the 2000 election for GW.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 22:49:09
    Dana
    Would be fun though!
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 22:56:28
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Well they say these things go in cycles. I think we have ended the phony conservative cycle and are starting a more liberal one. Maybe in 4 years a radical liberal (opposite of Uncle Ron) will lead the nation.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/07 23:22:39
    Dana
    It will be interesting to see. I hope most of all, that all the negative ugly stuff, will finally wake people up.
  • ehrhornp Dana 2012/04/07 23:28:01
    ehrhornp
    I keep hoping for that. Unfortunately much of the American public have really been dumbed down and they don't even realize it.
  • Dana ehrhornp 2012/04/08 00:09:39
    Dana
    Credit to Fixed news.

2014/07/28 16:37:58