Shouldn't "Pro-Choice" people be "Pro-Prostitution"?

MarinerFH 2012/06/29 16:26:42
Yes, pro-choice should support pro-prostitution...
No, pro-choice only cares about enabling abortions...
Other, please explain
If it really is "a woman's choice what she does with her own body" then by default prostitution is nothing more than a Woman's Choice.

Therefore, shouldn't the Pro-Choice people be out fighting for the "Rights of Prostitutes to "Choose"?

Prostitutes

• Philo-Publius 2012/06/29 17:29:55
    Other, please explain
    Philo-Publius
    +22
    In a perfect world, yes: Where the choice to rent one's body to a man is 100% free, willful and deliberate, and not done to overcome need or lack (when it's not done to put food on one's table, pay rent or provide for one's own needs or one's children), then certainly. What a woman does with her body is to be upheld as being her choice.

The problem, however, is that in almost all cases, prostitution is not engaged in by choice. It is seldom willful, deliberate, or selected amid other equally (or even reasonably) well-paying (or ever poorly-paying) opportunities that are before the woman. Often it is performed due to drug addiction or pimps enticing/coercing/threatening them into this lifestyle, wherein they are physically or mentally compromised, and thus cannot truly be said to consent.

So, while I am pro-choice as well as pro-prostitution, I am philosophically consistent in that I demand the latter must be as truly based on choice as the former, and where it isn't, I believe laws and other protections and preventative measures and opportunities must be instituted/created by society in order to ensure that no woman is left to resort to such a practice against her will.

• Brandi Angela 2012/07/11 15:16:56
    Brandi Angela
    I am pro-choice and I am in favor of legalizing prostitution. Like making abortion legal made abortions safer, legalizing prostitution will make prostitution safer. If people are willing to pay you for sex why not?
  • La 2012/07/06 06:01:44
    Other, please explain
    La
    There's no "should". You can't tell someone if they believe one thing then they "should" believe another thing. You don't know the reasoning behind their support of [the first thing] so you can't apply the same reasoning to find out why they do/not support [the second thing].

As it happens, I support both abortion and prostitution :)
  • MarinerFH La 2012/07/07 01:27:51
  • La MarinerFH 2012/07/08 02:36:22
    La
    If you take "pro choice" literally, to an extreme, people should be able to do absolutely anything they want, so nothing would be illegal. That's not what "pro choice" refers to. It specifically refers to a woman's right to choose if she will keep her baby.
  • MarinerFH La 2012/07/08 02:40:11
  • La MarinerFH 2012/07/08 02:41:17
    La
    Would you feel more comfortable if we all started calling it "pro abortion"? I'm happy to do so.
  • mark 2012/07/04 13:11:02
    Other, please explain
    mark
    Prostitutes don't necessarily choose prostitution. In fact , many are forced into prostitution and many feel they have no choice but to continue being a prostitute for a variety of reasons. One , "pro-choice" , does not necessitate the other , "pro-prostitution".
  • Silversnake 2012/07/03 18:42:03
    Silversnake
    +1
    That should be the logic behind it, but it seems that feminist liberals don't agree
  • MarinerFH Silvers... 2012/07/03 20:05:15
  • ehrhornp 2012/07/03 18:36:17
    Other, please explain
    ehrhornp
    While I would support both, I can see why some people who support a woman's right to choose would oppose prostitution.
  • MarinerFH ehrhornp 2012/07/03 20:07:30
  • ehrhornp MarinerFH 2012/07/03 20:13:05
    ehrhornp
    Prostitution exploits women. Abortion while not desirable may be better than the alternative. As such abortion needs to be kept an option. Big brother should not get involved in a personal decision. Next thing you know they will require you show up to give blood every other week.
  • MarinerFH ehrhornp 2012/07/03 20:40:34
  • ehrhornp MarinerFH 2012/07/03 20:43:10
    ehrhornp
    Just speaking the truth. So tell me if the federal government mandates that you must give blood at least once a month, would you do it? or would you fight it?
  • MarinerFH ehrhornp 2012/07/03 21:04:59
  • ehrhornp MarinerFH 2012/07/03 23:56:50
    ehrhornp
    Not really. If the government outlaws abortion they are in effect forcing women to give aid and support to a second person. So what is it to stop Gov. from then mandating that people must give blood to save others?
  • arkiii 2012/07/03 15:48:40
    Other, please explain
    arkiii
    +1
    I would agree with the comparison but abortion is legal and prostitution is not. Otherwise I think the argument would hold true. A woman and a man for that matter should be able to wo what they want with their bodies as long as it does not harm anyone else. The government should stay out of peoples private business...
  • MarinerFH arkiii 2012/07/03 15:53:27
  • arkiii MarinerFH 2012/07/03 16:16:19
    arkiii
    +1
    abortion harms/murders a fetus, not a human being. A fetus becomes a human being when it it born and no longer in the mothers womb. That is why abortion is legal. It is illegal to murder a human being (usually)...
  • MarinerFH arkiii 2012/07/03 20:10:22
  • arkiii MarinerFH 2012/07/04 13:01:07
    arkiii
    Wrong. that is a big lie pushed by anti-abortion people. Check your facts. A fertilized egg is not a human being. it has the potential to become one but is not considered one legally, that is why abortion is legal.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/07/02 15:05:52
    Other, please explain
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    Let me first say that I am opposed to abortion and liken it to murder. That said, I believe adults should be allowed to do anything that is peaceful and consenting adults can do it to each other. so while I think prostitution is morally wrong and self-destructive, I don't think it is the role of government to prohibit it and I don't think they could enforce prohibition if they wanted. The best they can do is handle it as a local ordinance regarding when and where or if it will be allowed in a specific jurisdiction and of course prohibit it when it involves minors and people deemed incompetent to make decisions for themselves.

But as the question is phrased, the real problem is missed. You can abhor abortion and still not recognize the moral rights of the unborn, in which case you would support the pro-choice movement. It is similar with prostitution. You can abhor prostitution, but equally deplore government intervention into private activities between consenting adults.
  • MarinerFH FeedFwd... 2012/07/02 18:39:29
  • FeedFwd... MarinerFH 2012/07/03 02:47:32
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    You'll get no argument from me. I agree completely.
  • purpleicecreamvan<3 2012/07/01 16:00:07
    Other, please explain
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    i am pro-choice. prostitution, however, is something different. many women are driven to it through drug addiction and lack of any other kind of financial support. i don't think it's a woman's choice, usually. for women that do chose it, i don't see why that should not be allowed, as long as there is proper regulation and legal enforcement of her rights. but it should be 100% her life choice and not something she is driven to through desperation.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 17:39:49
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 17:42:59
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    then abortion clinics should make sure that it is the woman's choice alone, and maybe there should be some kind of campaign about the right to choose motherhood.
    but it definitely does not mean that the option to have an abortion should not be available to any woman who wishes to use it.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 18:08:32
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 18:10:16
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    so you think women should be forced into having a baby that they don't want?
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 18:17:43
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 18:20:29
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    that poor teenager may not have had the sex education and support and availability to make the right choices regarding contraception, and even then, contraception is fallible.
    not everyone is lucky enough to end up in a situation like the girl you took in, and regardless, carrying a baby to term is a huge physical sacrifice and a big emotional struggle for a young girl. everyone makes mistakes, but that doesn't mean they should have to pay such a collosal price for the sake of a ball of unspecialized cells. there are enough babies in the world as it is, i assure you.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 18:39:15
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 18:43:44
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    yes, i know we're always a ball of cells, but a ball of cells with thoughts, feelings, friends and loved ones. that's different.
    i know it's technically a human life, but so is the mother's. it could potentially traumatise a young girl to have a baby, especially if it's the result of rape. is it really worth putting a human being through that, just so that a new human being can pop out at the end, with an uncertain future? women have a mothering instinct and for many they may find it impossible to give up their child (i know i would), so regardless of whether or not the pregnancy was planned they may find they simply can't part with it. this child grows up disadvantaged in life, as does the mother. isn't it better to give her the opportunity to wait until she's ready, and then have a planned pregnancy and a family that she's fully able to take care of?
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 18:50:38
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 18:52:36
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    well, being a man, i guess you'll never have to make that choice, but please let us women make our own choices, whatever your views.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/01 18:57:59
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/01 19:02:46
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    i'm not single, i have a boyfriend. we have sex. i use contraception. if that contraception failed, i would have an abortion. because i have a life to lead, and i would love to have children but at 17 i'm just not ready for that. i want to go to medical school and start my career before i decide to have children.
    are you really comparing me to a slaveholder?
    and of course babies in the womb are innocent, but so am i, i've done nothing wrong, so why should i pay for the failings of contraception? bring me infallible contraception and then we'll talk.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/02 01:09:41
  • purplei... MarinerFH 2012/07/02 21:17:41
    purpleicecreamvan<3
    well in the context of sex, being married or not makes no difference. unless this discussion has stopped being about abortion and has become a personal attack on me.
    yes, i would abort a child for my personal convenience. would you give up your life at the age of 17 to bear and raise a child? you might say you would but i strongly doubt that.
  • MarinerFH purplei... 2012/07/02 22:26:27

2014/10/21 08:59:49