SHOULD YOU HAVE A PICTURE ID TO VOTE?

judy ann 2011/12/31 23:41:43

Gingrich: Justice Dept Wants to 'Steal Elections'

Saturday, 31 Dec 2011 02:40 PM

More ways to share...

steal elections saturday 31 dec 2011 0240 pm ways share

Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich blasted the
Justice Department for blocking a South Carolina voter identification
law and suggested the Obama administration wants to "steal elections."

During a campaign stop in Council Bluffs, Iowa, the former House
speaker questioned why Attorney General Eric Holder is "so determined
not to identify if people are not eligible to vote"

Gingrich went on to say that, "you have to ask, why is it that they
are desperate to retain the ability to steal elections and I think
that's what it comes down to."

The Justice Department recently rejected South Carolina's law
requiring voters to show photo ID at polling places as discriminatory
against minorities. Republicans argue stricter voter ID laws are needed
to avert voter fraud.

The South Carolina primary is Jan. 21.

• Bob, the reasonable one 2011/12/31 23:56:06
    YES,YOU SHOULD, REMEMBER ACORN AND THE MICKEY MOUSE VOTER!
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +19
    hell yea!! each state has requirements and they should be followed...otherwise voter fraud will flourish making elections meaningless...follow the rules, in order for there to be a fair election..I'm sick and tired of the complaint from LWNJ's that believe having an I.D. is an unbearable burden....drive a car...you have to have a license, proof of insurance...and that isn't overly burdensome....

• NPC paul 2012/01/02 18:57:07
    NPC
    +4
    The Right to Vote is only for LEGAL American citizens
  • Che Gue... NPC 2012/01/02 20:24:55 (edited)
    Che Guevara - Hero
    LEGAL to the Conservatives means White and Wealthy.
    KKK GOP
  • Chris -... Che Gue... 2012/01/02 22:28:22
  • wolfshadow Chris -... 2012/01/08 12:11:32
    wolfshadow
    +1
    At least we can have HOPE for CHANGE...
  • Chris -... wolfshadow 2012/01/09 16:15:20
  • paul NPC 2012/01/03 01:37:24
    paul
    I agree
  • Markie 2012/01/02 13:52:22
    NO, JUST SHOW UP
    Markie
    Did it say something like that in the constitution?
  • harry 2012/01/02 12:40:29
    NO, JUST SHOW UP
    harry
    +1
    If a voter is registered to vote and have their voter registration card, they should be able to vote. The Republicans are getting a dose of their own medicine in Va. Gingrich and Perry, and Bachmann can't get on the ballet because of the restrictive voter regulations that their own Republican Party introduced and passed. Now Perry and Bachmann are filing complaints. I hope they win their law suits. The highly restrictive regulations that many Republican states are passing into law are geared to preventing the poor, old, and young people from voting, because many of them vote Democrat.
  • MrsJJS 2012/01/02 11:37:04
    MrsJJS
    +2
    YUP...need ID for everything else.
  • Pieter Joubert 2012/01/02 10:55:47
    Pieter Joubert
    After 250 years of voting with no picture ID this has become an issue??

Funny thing these same guys are suing some states because they don't like the idea of having to get at least 10,000 people signatures to get on the ballot.

Who is fooling who here, these guys are getting very desperate when they see the majority will still vote Democrate despite everything the Conservatives tried.

The next thing they want is a law that states you have to be white with blond hair and blue eyes and heterosexual to qualify to vote.
  • Angry C... Pieter ... 2012/01/02 17:08:55 (edited)
    Angry Congressman
    +5
    25o years???? Everytime I vote I am required to show my drivers license. What is so new about this law??? It's already required and has been for decades.

http://www.politicalbuddies.com
  • Pieter ... Angry C... 2012/01/02 21:03:07
    Pieter Joubert
    Guess what a large section of american citizens don't have photo ID. If the FED at taxpayers cost issue every US voter with photo ID before the election, then its fair to expect it
  • Angry C... Pieter ... 2012/01/03 04:20:41 (edited)
    Angry Congressman
    +1
    That sounds like their issue, not ours. We did our American duty...got off our asses and got our licenses. IF they can't take the time...they don't vote. Very very simple solution!
  • Pieter ... Angry C... 2012/01/03 08:28:03
    Pieter Joubert
    You are not very accomodating are you. many many older people never bothered to get drivers licenses they used public transport. Many poorer folks don't have money to buy a car so they never bother to get a licence. Should that disqualify them from voting.

I don't think you understand, there are millions of americans who don't have any money. they have to choose between food and power so they eat in the dark and study with candles.

You should get out more often and see what is really happening around you, don't rely on fox to tell you what to believe.
  • Angry C... Pieter ... 2012/01/03 16:28:35 (edited)
    Angry Congressman
    +3
    LOL liberal debater. Here's the plan boys:

1. Deny everything!
    2. Tell him his point is wrong without using any logic against it.
    3. Assume he watches Fox News.
    4. Here's the clincher.....INSULT HIM AND RUN.

ROFL you guys are so freakin unoriginal that it's stupid. Don't worry I don't take anything you say seriously so your insults mean nothing.

u mad

http://www.politicalbuddies.com
  • cinbadl Pieter ... 2012/01/02 17:26:02
  • Pieter ... cinbadl 2012/01/02 21:00:54
    Pieter Joubert
    No, I am against suddenly in 2012 after 44 presidential elections they want to change the rules. If they at cost to the state issue every american with a photo ID before the election, then the playing field is level. But to use this as a method of exclude voters is is unfair and unconstitutional
  • wolfshadow Pieter ... 2012/01/08 12:14:52
    wolfshadow
    First of all... being from South Africa... it's not like we really needed your opinion on how we should hold elections in the United States. 250 years ago, there were other requirements to vote, like being a land owner. Perhaps we don't want to see 10,000 dead people vote again or some guy who is proud to announce to the world he voted 10 times. But you go with your little racist self... I suppose people wanting the elections to be fair and only for those legally entitled to vote to vote... that makes us racists in your eyes. So be it. You can have your African back... we are so done with him.
  • Pieter ... wolfshadow 2012/01/08 13:54:03
    Pieter Joubert
    In South Africa, every eligable voter needs a government issued ID book which has a digital picture scanned in so it can not be replaced with another picture.

When you go to register to vote, a barcode sticker is stuck into your ID book

On the day of voting, your ID book is requested, barcode is scanned as electronic proof that you voted, one finger tip is dipped in a dye to show you have entered the voting booth.

No one can vote if they aren't on the list and no one can vote twice.

Now, every 4 years, before registration for voting, the government runs an ID campaign where they send out mobile offices to every corner of the country to ensure every citizen that is eligible to vote gets a ID, the ones who can not afford it gets it free of charge.

So the playing field is level, unlike the US where the party representing the majority of the "haves" is trying to exclude the poor based on the fact they can not afford or have photo ID.

It just happens that the most of the people affected in the US is black.
  • NoBama Man 2012/01/02 10:30:08
    NoBama Man
    +4
    Why shouldn't it be required ?!?!?!!?!? Without the cemetery and illegal alien vote the progressives can't win...
    I mean with loyal honest voters like this guy in the vid...who needs proof of Identification....
    problem ??? there's no problem with voter fraud...it's working just fine...

make sure you wait till the end....wait for it...wait for it....

• Professor 2012/01/02 09:59:44
    Professor
    +3
    This should be a no-brainer, after all we all need photo IDs in many areas of life from buying liquor to cashing checks. The Democrats portray this as a terrible burden on the poor when many states will issue a state ID for free if you can't afford it. It seems to me that the Democrats are to protect the potential for voter fraud!
  • jeffro2010 2012/01/02 09:02:05
    jeffro2010
    +4
    This is really common sense. I do not understand why it is un fair to require ID to vote. Only way we can prevent voter fraud. Not a citizen, no vote for you!
  • Skeptical Optimist 2012/01/02 08:52:36
    Skeptical Optimist
    +2
    Any legal citizen can get a picture id at the mvd.
  • Moose 2012/01/02 08:36:07
    NO, JUST SHOW UP
    Moose
    What's wrong with the mickey mouse voter? Elections are a joke anyway when all we have to choose from is the party of morons and the party of idiots.
  • ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/01/02 08:28:15
    NO, JUST SHOW UP
    ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ
    Keep it the way it has been.
  • gimini210 2012/01/02 08:14:41
    gimini210
    +3
    Very few countries do not require ID's to vote, work and live in their country. Even Mexico requires an ID to vote and without one you can not work in Mexico even if you were born there and lived there for 60 years. If it was such a bad law then why is it so needed? Voter fraud. You can claim it is to suppress votes but as one of the older generation who has an ID and has had from 16 up, that is hog was. A picture ID will not and does not suppress votes. That is just a bunch of BS used to allow fraud to run wild. In MO they sent voter registrations to every house they could so people could register via mail. No id to prove you are who you claim or legal. So yes we need a Picture ID. A voters card is just paper anyone can apply for.
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/01/02 07:04:05
    Sarah Alexander
    +4
    I needed my ID to get a library card at my university along with many other "small" things so why wouldn't I to vote? Something so important should not be taken so lightly; the vote needs to represent the American people (provided it is an american vote) and only one vote per person.
  • davidl 2012/01/02 06:52:16
    davidl
    +4
    We do in Texas .. finally.
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/01/02 06:36:15
    NO, JUST SHOW UP
    JERSEYDUDE
    +1
    with your voter ID card
  • Marty9957 2012/01/02 06:27:00
    Marty9957
    +5
    Absolutely and have proof that you are a US Citizen too.
  • JohnFitzgeral12 2012/01/02 06:20:54
    JohnFitzgeral12
    +5
    There is not a rational defense for being against voter ID laws.
  • Charles Braley 2012/01/02 03:27:09
    Charles Braley
    +5
    Gotta have it for everything else - voting shouldn't be anything different!
  • Someone Else 2012/01/02 03:04:56
    Someone Else
    +5
    Can you cash a check without one,Can you drive a car without one ? Not sure about Mickey Mouse though
  • boneman1 2012/01/02 03:04:11
    boneman1
    +5
    Only reason I can think to be against requiring a picture ID is if you're hoping that unqualified people can somehow cast a vote.
  • missfit 2012/01/02 02:54:46
    missfit
    I can see the reasoning behind having to have a picture ID. To most of us who are licensed drivers and have had IDs for a long time, it seems everyone must be able to at least get a state ID. But there are older people who have lived in the same house for years and voted for years, but don't have a state ID. State IDs are expensive for older people on a fixed income. This seems in some ways like a Republican way to disenfranchise a particular group of voters. Mainly those that don't vote for them. So should people like these older people be turned away though they have been registered voters for years? What is so great about our country is everyone has a voice. I am worried laws like this will take away the voice and vote of a great many people.
  • Savious missfit 2012/01/02 05:47:06
    Savious
    +3
    I grew up out in the boondocks on a farm; and had many older people who lived near by. I even had an old man who lived not to far from us; who had been farming almost his entire life; who's mother was born a slave. He did not have a birth certificate; but he, and all those other old people, did have picture id's. I really find it difficult to believe that there are that many people out there, who do not have a picture id.
  • missfit Savious 2012/01/04 01:39:17
    missfit
    According to statistics 11% of eligible voters have no state ID. Some may be students who just use their college ID which would not be acceptable. This law just worries me because there is not rampant fraud in the last election. Not that was not found out and nipped in the bud before they even got a chance to vote. What if you live in a different state than you were born and lost your birth certificate. It would cost you money to get that other state to send your birth certificate and then if you are a woman and have been married and don't have your marriage certificate. Well to get a state ID or license you have to have that marriage certificate. They don't give them away. Now once you have paid for all of that you will have the privilege of paying the state for your license which will cost you 50 bucks in Ohio for a state ID it is about 16 dollars or something. I know because I had to go through this to get mine. If I had not had the money I could not have voted. And I think being able to vote should never depend on how much money you have,
  • Savious missfit 2012/01/04 03:43:26
    Savious
    OK, you say it costs to much; meanwhile, even if you don’t believe that voter fraud is real, enough people do to raise doubt about the validity of the process.

I had said once; that we can’t eliminate the secret ballot; but we could have a voter’s receipt. You cast your vote; and then get a print out of what the sequence was of your vote, i.e. you were the 2,354 person to vote that day, a random number as your voter identification number, and how you voted. They could then transfer the votes to a spreadsheet and post it online.

Many people could then go, and see if their vote was tallied, correctly, or if there was any tinkering with the votes cast. Also, people would be able to tell if something was up with vote adding, or subtracting; i.e. if I’m in early, and it says that I’m the 450th voter, then obviously someone added some before I showed up; or if I’m last, and I was the 4,678th person to vote, and then my district reports that 9,457 vote were counted; we’d know something was up.

A cross reference could also be created; so that a person couldn’t vote in more than one district.

Of course all of this would be extremely costly; and it would probably be just a bit easier to say, hey, show a picture ID to prove you are who you say you are.

And just for the record; ...

And just for the record; I’d accept a college ID as long as it has a picture on it. Honestly; that 11% sounds like BS to me though; I have a hard time believing that 1 out of 10 people couldn’t cash a check.

What's your alternate plan?
  • drdos1943 missfit 2012/01/02 09:49:57 (edited)
    drdos1943
    +2
    Picture ID's are available in just about all states for free. Your argument doesn't hold water...and as we have seen in the last election, voter fraud is rampant. The former governor of Washington State won by 27 votes. Later it was discovered that over1600 votes on both sides were fraudulent.
  • missfit drdos1943 2012/01/04 01:42:08
    missfit
    +1
    what state do you live in. State IDs are not free anywhere. When is the last time you went and tried to get one. It cost me 50 dollars for my drivers license and they charge for state ID too. So I don't believe you know what you are talking about.

2014/07/28 14:36:32