Should You Be Allowed to Buy Junk Food With Food Stamps?

The U.S. is simultaneously low on jobs and incomes, and consuming large amounts of unhealthy food. You might think the problems would be mutually exclusive, but according to Florida senator Ronda Storms, health is a problem even for those using food stamps to get by. She recently sponsored a bill that proposes to regulate what kinds of food items are allowed to be purchased with food stamps.

Storms said, "If we're going to be cutting services across the board, then people can live without potato chips, without store-bought cookies, without their sodas." According to the Los Angeles Times, she decided to sponsor the bill when she saw shoppers purchasing "fatty, highly-processed treats" being bought with taxpayer money. Similar bills have been rejected in the past, while some organizations are trying to encourage healthy buying with reimbursements.

• keymanjim 2012/01/30 16:24:00
    keymanjim
    +30
    Only in American can you be poor and fat. And then DEMAND a nonexistent right to become fatter as someone else pays your bills.

• wiseman 2013/03/10 17:06:52
    wiseman
    Some types of junk food are considered a part of a survival gear, jelly beans,beef jerky, and besides that, who long do you think a human can endure malnutrition before the body breaks down? It doesn't take too long I'm sure. Also you can say, that most junk foods are made in the USA, which would give support to our economy by purchasing their product; So whatever one believes should or shouldn't be accepted on a food card isn't the question; It's should we support our economy by supporting our companies.
  • GoDucks5 2013/03/10 08:09:37
    GoDucks5
    If you are dependent on the government, then the government has the right to tell you what to do.
  • Anna 2013/03/10 06:18:22
    Anna
    Yes.
  • moriarty 2013/03/10 04:34:12
    moriarty
    +1
    hell, why not? Each and every citizen pays into the food stamp program from tax dollars taken out of our paychecks. If a person who uses food stamps has worked and payed into the system let them eat what they want.
    The Food Stamp program is not a diet program. Majority of the food sold in the US today is processed garbage which people are used to. To turn around and say "you can't have that now" is dubious.
  • NeutronBomb 2012/09/29 13:10:35
    NeutronBomb
    I dont think people should but perhaps there is a bigger issue here of people understanding how to eat well, education is probably key here and it is the food companies that advertise and push this rubbish who should take a lot of the blame
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/08/24 07:16:57
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    absolutly not!
  • Angela Ellerbe 2012/05/16 16:43:43
    Angela Ellerbe
    Yes, because not all that recieved food stamps buy a bunch of junk food with it. The good shouldn't have to suffer with the bad.
  • missoni 2012/05/14 12:59:52 (edited)
    missoni
    Anyone that says yes is hypocritical republican. Its the truth. The amount of crap every American eats is disgusting. S'mores, cheese in a can, turkey in a can, huge chocolate cookies, deep fried crap. You're all guilty of eating badly so why discrimnate against the poor? You all act as though being 'poor and fat' is the worst thing in the world. Yeah right! I mean you all argue about more important things being discussed during the elections and then whinge on about this crap. Honestly, you people really confuse me. I know not all Americans have such blinded views, but...Well, I'll just leave it at that.
  • Neutron... missoni 2012/09/29 13:08:06
    NeutronBomb
    Turkey in a can ??? wtf
  • alysia 2012/04/14 01:55:13
  • Nat Turner 2012/03/14 13:32:35
    Nat Turner
    +1
    Those stamps are suppose to be for the children...PERIOD!
  • thegaln... Nat Turner 2012/05/14 17:25:40
    thegalnextdoor
    then why do needy adults also get food stamps? adults need to eat too.
  • Nat Turner thegaln... 2012/07/20 19:34:57
    Nat Turner
    +1
    I knew of an adult who sold her food stamps to buy a leather skirt to wear to the club.
  • thegaln... Nat Turner 2012/08/09 03:39:02
    thegalnextdoor
    then she doesn't much need foodstamps does she? and she makes it bad for those of us who do...
  • AM 2012/03/10 18:55:15
  • Kimmy 2012/03/03 22:59:00
    Kimmy
    Yes.The other stuff costs more and you get less.
  • Speaker of the Mind 2012/02/27 14:45:37
    Speaker of the Mind
    +2
    The program is a >>>COMPLETE<<< Failure!!!!
    I know someone that I use to be close too, this person lives in Kentucky for quite a while and receives MI and KY Food stamps and buys nothing but junk food, gotta love those Debit Cards. And yes, I reported it to no avail. Sickning!
    food stamp ebt cards

food stamp ebt products
    food stamp ebt products
    food stamp  products list
    food stamp  products list
  • Speaker... Speaker... 2012/02/27 14:49:08
    Speaker of the Mind
    Get My Point??????
  • Debra Speaker... 2012/03/25 16:59:40
    Debra
    +1
    That is the falure of our government to offer any social service properly. They can't do anything right. Now we want them to take care of our healthcare system???? Oh say it isn't so!!!
  • Angela ... Speaker... 2012/05/16 16:37:27
    Angela Ellerbe
    How truthful are those ad's. I can't believe it.
  • LindaM Speaker... 2013/03/10 17:21:27
  • Diane O 2012/02/25 23:44:17
    Diane O
    well here ya go all you holier then thou ppl it got shot down so they won't be banning anything so now ya all have something to really bitch aboutFlorida House panel rejects food stamp sweets ban The panel stripped the junk food provision from a bill (HB 1401) that also would prohibit welfare recipients from using debit-like electronic cards to access cash benefits outside of Florida or at strip clubs, liquor stores, bars and gambling establishments so here is a quarter call someone that cares this was in a west palm paper
  • lori Diane O 2012/02/26 14:20:54
    lori
    +1
    that isn't exactly true. Children and family service voted in favor of the Bill on what to buy with the food stamp card. This act shall take effect July 1, 2012. It is a FELONY to accept the debit like card for anything other then what it is intended for. Florida had to do something, 1 out of 6 are on food stamps. Children are going hungry because of the drug abuse or using the card for other then food. Only 2% are tested for drugs, not much but the children of these drug addicts need the food stamp card for food. As far as the Junk Food provision that it is appeal.
  • art1ej 2012/02/22 12:38:43
    art1ej
    +1
    i dont think you should be able too..just normal healthy food....
  • lori art1ej 2012/02/22 12:57:39
    lori
    +1
    I agree, if people where more reasponsible and used common sense we wouldn't even have this discussion. But they want to use convience over healthy and cooking a good meal.
  • thegaln... lori 2012/06/20 19:25:10
    thegalnextdoor
    I know a person who has recently given up aspartame and junk food -- surprisingly also soda (the sugared variety) who commented to me how much farther the food stamps go when one doesn't buy junk food. Granted, given their cooking skills, prepared is necessary but the money still goes much farther and they are healthier and happier about how they are using their foodstamps ( using plural their to avoid gender related clues)..... there should be a limit as to how much/percentage of junk food one can buy...
  • lori thegaln... 2012/06/20 19:30:40
    lori
    and the sad part is alot of people do not realize or even how to manage money or there good stamps. they made the right decision
  • thegaln... lori 2012/07/07 19:07:18
    thegalnextdoor
    so true.... but then I think MOST of us could use some help in managing money and resources....
  • lori thegaln... 2012/07/07 19:47:00
    lori
    being a conversative i have always managed my money. I have had too.And i am not on food stamps.Thank God.
  • thegaln... lori 2012/08/09 03:40:19
    thegalnextdoor
    I am very conservative too... just also not well endowed with dollars and like to eat something other than pasta and what the local pantries hand out... it's no picnic -- believe me!
  • lori thegaln... 2012/08/09 11:54:20
    lori
    I know i have been there. but the obiesty rate is too high, i never got junk but don't get it now mostly grow my own vegetables. Too many food stamp people buy to much junk for them and there children. As a tax payer i don't believe a tax payer should be paying for this.
  • lori art1ej 2012/02/23 23:09:05
    lori
    +1
    i agree
  • Anna art1ej 2013/03/10 06:22:21
    Anna
    We need to be able to buy protein drinks, yogurt, dried fruit, vitamin water, etc with food stamps!!!
  • art1ej Anna 2013/04/15 18:11:05
    art1ej
    veggies,fruit,protein & that yes it's what i do already & im not on food stamps so they can do it too...
  • scorpionhorse 2012/02/21 19:38:45
    scorpionhorse
    +1
    not too much tho
  • lori scorpio... 2012/02/21 21:26:52
    lori
    you mean not to much junk food, i hope so .
  • scorpio... lori 2013/05/26 16:35:41
    scorpionhorse
    I do..
  • LainaXTC 2012/02/20 20:48:16
    LainaXTC
    +2
    i think if people with money waste it on fast food then poor ppl should be able to buy whatever kind of food they want, families with good paying jobs hardly even cook anymore and thats kinda sad, i cant even get a slush puppie or a starbucks double shot from some stores with foodstamps, and i cant get fastfood, just because im less fortunate doesnt mean im less privalidged, does it?
  • lori LainaXTC 2012/02/20 21:16:26
    lori
    What this means is you are on government assistance paid by the tax payers and if you don't want government assistance or the government telling you what you can buy then don't get food stamps, find a job any job and if it doesn't pay enough get two jobs. I had to, i was laid off years ago and had to get food stamps and unemployment but not for long as i did get another job and then i got another job in the evening in a real estate office. Now i am well enough off, own my own house and am retired. But i grow my own vegetables and cook my own food. We do go out to dinner once in awhile but we earned it. I do not think people with money waste it on fast food. maybe once in a while but not on the average. They want to stay healthy and staying away from junk food is in the best interest of society and yourself. Otherwise, a person will the habit of junk food will become unhealthy.
  • LainaXTC lori 2012/02/20 21:43:38
    LainaXTC
    +2
    well i grew up with a single parent on welfare and ssi, who is mentally disabled x-drug addict, and mentally abusive,she isolated me never taught me to be successful, wouldnt let me get a job because theyd take it out of her check, never took me to get my learners, iam 19 i have a job, a daughter, and i try to eat healthy,but if i have two jobs how do u expect me to take care of and raise my child and go to school. all while waiting on a stupid waiting list to have a place to call home. do i want to be on fs? no i wanted a normal life with a normal well to do family that put me on the track to success. the state doesnt even pay for my child care when im at work and school. i dont drink pop and i buy organic milk, because i want my child to have the best. who r u to judge what is possible for me. u r not god and u have no right to tell me we cant have chocolate or hot food, what land do u suppose i grow my vegtables on? apt complexes dont give u land to plant things lol really . be practical and stop stereotyping.

2014/11/28 18:22:14