Should white people be protected from hate crime ?

Bronx at Night 2010/03/10 13:47:34
YES - There should be hate crime law protection for whites.
NO - Get rid of ALL hate crime laws and deal with crimes individually without political bias.
Other.
How about straights, men, Christians, and Republicans?

Hate crime laws now deal severe penalty enhancements for crimes against people of color, gays, women, religious minorities, and sometimes even political groups (ie, liberals).

Is this how we show that “Justice is blind” in America, by giving enhanced legal protections to some groups but not others? Is reverse racism and legal discrimination the way we solve our problems?

Well, minorities already outnumber whites in many parts of the US, and whites as a group have lower rates of birth and are on track to becoming a bona fide minority altogether. In many urban areas whites are already the minority, and in many urban public schools few if any white students can be seen. As a minority then shouldn’t whites have the same legal protection as people of color with hate crime legislation?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/10/380010/minority-births...

Of all sources, the ultra-leftwing Southern Poverty Law Center even admits now that whites can be singled out and bullied as victims of hate crimes.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/bro...

One reporter with the San Francisco Examiner made a stronger point that while many hate crime laws openly help some groups over others, when white kids are bullied by non-whites because of the color of their skin, whites do not receive the same help from the law.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/columns/gregory_kane/Dont-i...

It seems to me the best solution is to get rid of hate crime laws altogether, and just deal with crimes individually without political bias.

. solution rid hate crime laws deal crimes individually political bias .

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

. deal crimes individually political bias white people protected hate crime .

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeWill/2007/05/...

• bye 2010/03/10 16:48:59
    NO - Get rid of ALL hate crime laws and deal with crimes individually without...
    bye

• Cinna 2011/03/14 19:31:42
    Other.
    Cinna
    there needs to be evn laws with the hate crimes and not only colored people should be protected from the name calling etc. if someone calls anyone a name that offends them they should get charged with a hate crime
  • Josh Robinson R.P.2012' PWCM. 2010/12/26 15:00:06
    Other.
    Josh Robinson  R.P.2012' PWCM.
    +1
    Keep the idea that some types of crimes deserve special attention. Re-name it ''Orientation Specific Crime'' not hate crime..... It was mislabled....!
  • TylerBushnell 2010/07/12 11:49:40
    TylerBushnell
    +4
    Honestly I think that they should get rid of all hate crime laws. If we break a law then thats a crime and wouldn't a hate crime fall under disturbing the peace (a law against public disorder and chaos). Which basically is a law against all types of violence and much more. Just because something had happened between one person and another doesn't make it a hate crime. When people are trying to teach others not to be racist or discriminate, how will it help to have laws that silver line what they are trying to stop. A crime is a crime no matter how you put it.
  • xcide13 2010/03/15 16:06:00
    xcide13
    +1
    The fact that there is a blatantly discriminatory law on the books is an abomination.
    +2
    ALL Crime is HATEFUL -- why should any one /group/ be treated differently than another.
  • nightowlhoot3 2010/03/14 04:32:16 (edited)
    Other.
    nightowlhoot3
    "White people" ARE included in the area of protected groups under hate crime legislation, as are "straights, men, Christians."

Quit your whining and educate yourself.
  • Bronx a... nightow... 2010/03/14 06:13:23
    Bronx at Night
    +1
    If you had taken the time to “quit your whining and educate yourself,” you would see from the post and comments that this fact had already been clearly established.

Yes, whites are technically covered under hate crime statutes. However, there is a clear bias in how the laws are implemented and enforced, and it is rare for a prosecuting attorney to use hate crime laws for whites.

Besides, the question was asking your opinion concerning whether or not whites should be protected from hate crime, and such a question could be raised whether or not whites are already protected by hate crime legislation. Likewise, alcohol may be legal, but it would still be valid for one to ask “should alcohol be legal?”

That was your free education lesson for the day. You’re welcome. crime legislation alcohol legal valid alcohol legal free education lesson
  • nightow... Bronx a... 2010/03/14 10:10:13
    nightowlhoot3
    Well, Bucko, it's not my habit to read every post on a thread and then reply, but to instead read the headline post.

"Yes, whites are technically covered under hate crime statutes. However, there is a clear bias in how the laws are implemented and enforced, and it is rare for a prosecuting attorney to use hate crime laws for whites."

It's "rare" for a hate crime to be prosecuted at all. If you understood about hate crimes, you would know that a "crime" (murder, arson, assault) ALREADY has to have happened, and then, when prosecuting that crime, "hate crime" may be considered, so how laws are implemented and enforced is moot.
  • iopener 2010/03/13 18:12:07
    iopener
    +1
    hard question hate crimes against whites are indeed getting more and more common. but i must say some groups make it to easy.
  • ALLEYCAT 2010/03/13 14:21:36 (edited)
    Other.
    ALLEYCAT
    +1
    There are no such crimes as sexual orintation, reliegon, race, ect, ect. When it comes to committing a crime against one fitting in one of these categories the crime being committed is a Hate crime plain and simple. For the sake of clarification all violent crimes are hate crimes. As long as you have honest cops, and prosecuters all these people who committ crimes of race,sex, reliegon, ect, ect will end up in jail. However if you are going to write law singling out a particular type of person or group, or race. Than you must in all fairness write those laws to include whites---Period
  • Blessed Sheep Gone Wild! 2010/03/13 09:30:27
    Other.
    Blessed Sheep Gone Wild!
    +1
    Was this based on an Onion article...
    If there is an actual hate crime against the man then you get yourself a layer and make a case that will set a precedent... then you can start talking about passing a hate crime law to protect those left out of the hate crime law... Thats the process. See what you don't realize that the groups protected have not just had one incident but hundreds... thats why a law was passed... to send a message to the people that thought it was a service to society to brutally injure and in some cases murder... So when it actually isn't a conservative political stunt and actually a real hate crime... wait and wait and wait for a couple decades just like the African American population did and just like the Gay and Lesbian population did too. So what kind of nonsense whining are you doing right now?
  • Bronx a... Blessed... 2010/03/13 10:19:29
    Bronx at Night
    +1
    It does sound like an Onion article doesn't it?
  • Blessed... Bronx a... 2010/03/13 10:29:15
    Blessed Sheep Gone Wild!
    +1
    I just looked it up on the onion... no it isn't... Maybe it is an attempt to get a job on the daily show as a writer... I would have to say the premise of the question is hilarious but the jokes in the actual reporting aren't really as funny... keep on trying I guess.
  • XZQZQ 2010/03/13 07:31:31
    XZQZQ
    +1
    Hate crime laws are absurd....
  • taitaFalcon23 2010/03/13 07:11:31 (edited)
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    The laws that call 'Hate crimes' were necessary at one time. Times have changed for the better which this younger generation is meeting head on. I once was a staunch advocate for hate crimes, affirmative action and almost any law that called out racial injustice. Just as we now see the uselessness and futility of racial predjudice we now have to learn to 'let go' of some of our feelings of injustice - not hold onto to them. Because they threaten an important portion of our society. White people have rights too, whether they be gay, ultra-conservative, religious or not so religious. We have arrived at a time where the threats to us as a nation are larger than any racial issue that was part of America's past. I'm not saying that racism is dead. but... We have terrorists who want to kill innocents, we have economic chaos on main street and pedophiles snatching our daughters right off the street in broad daylight. There are greater dangers than hurt feelings because of racial misunderstandings....
  • TylerBu... taitaFa... 2010/07/12 12:41:10
    TylerBushnell
    exactly you don't see the racism today we saw years ago. Hate crimes now if you look at it are the same crimes that fall under disturbing the peace, but since they were one of the select few then it becomes a hate crime. Yeah slavery and all that happened, yet for all i know America is the only country that is so worried about what others think anymore or try to please others all this started. It was happening in Europe and the other continents before us and we even started off with Indian slaves so should we give them pity today too. After so long we shouldn't be trying to fix the past it already happened get over it. The problem got better but if they dont stop what they started a new problem will occur Yeah its good that racism is declining, but I've had people pull the slavery card and i just ask them oh yeah what was it like, And if anybody is taking the heat on racism right now its the Mexicans why I would have to say from all the illegals
  • taitaFa... TylerBu... 2010/07/13 03:58:30
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    Well the 'race card' pulled by anybody is really, really, lame and it defines their world... I don't want to be part of that world. I have adult children and grandchildren... I grew up into my responsibility whether I wanted to or not and as I told my children; they're never going to feel what I felt growing up in the late sixties but it's hard to let the imagery of Malcom X and Martin Luther King go. And I believe both men would have wanted us to leave the strife behind

I remember for my kids so that they'll have a link to the past to help with the future. But as I look at my grandchildren they'll never now about the march on Selma, the lynchings, the firehoses and they won't even care. I can dredge all that up to try and make them feel something they can't or I can grow with them. For us Americans, it's time to let some things go.. there are some crimes for which there is no recompense and so what do we do now? We grow.... we take care of our fellow man... we enjoy all that life has to offer.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2010/03/13 03:16:57
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Time to get over the bias now. Eliminate EEOC and Affirmative Action. Eliminate NAACP along with their counterpart the KKK.
    Hate Crimes laws are Unconstitutional. Anytime two people argue and call each other names and only one gets arrested--that is called a violation of free speech of one party.
  • taitaFa... Torchma... 2010/03/14 21:08:21
    taitaFalcon23
    I understand your view that racial and social equality are much better than they were... but equating the NAACP with the KKK is a bit of historical revisionism at its worst. From 1865 to 1965 there were approximately 5000 lynching of predominately black men(dragging the victim in a mob atmosphere to a place of execution and hang/burning him/her- not this gang fighting that has become the 'new' definition of lynching in your southern states' court systems - www.withoutsanctuary.com ). If the NAACP and the KKK are comparable, then please show me hndreds of photos of black mobs hanging white people, with the blessing of local law enforcement and the lack of prosecution of said crimes that you are now historical evidence at the FBI headquarters and the National Archives.
  • TylerBu... taitaFa... 2010/07/12 12:38:32
  • TylerBu... Torchma... 2010/07/12 12:25:16
  • hukturn 2010/03/13 02:33:40
    hukturn
    +1
    Crime is crime. The fact that it is done in hate should only be a mitigating factor. I also do not believe that there should be a separation in murder laws for cops versus civilians.
  • Hales 2010/03/13 02:19:24
    Hales
    +1
    It shouldn't just be white people -- ALL should be treated equal.
  • ctrlzmankind 2010/03/13 00:53:30
    Other.
    ctrlzmankind
    +1
    Isn't every crime a hate crime?
  • hukturn ctrlzma... 2010/03/13 02:34:38
    hukturn
    +1
    No. There are simple negligence charges, larceny, drug possessions, etc. In fact most laws would not encompass a factor of "hate".
  • ctrlzma... hukturn 2010/03/13 02:40:26
    ctrlzmankind
    +1
    What I meant by that is isn't every crime done in ill will?
    I am just saying that crimes should be classified by what they did, not by why they did it.
    They why isn't as important as the what.
  • hukturn ctrlzma... 2010/03/13 02:43:12
    hukturn
    I'll agree to "ill will" in the sense that most people knew they were breaking the law. But, I can't buy "ill will" for an unforseen event such as negligence.
  • ctrlzma... hukturn 2010/03/13 02:44:11
    ctrlzmankind
    +1
    Well you wouldn't ignore a child or whatever in good will...
  • hukturn ctrlzma... 2010/03/13 02:49:28
    hukturn
    Right, but you may also not foresee the kid who walks out into the road into the path of your car.
    But, I think we're pickin' fly shit outta the pepper.
  • ctrlzma... hukturn 2010/03/13 02:52:09
  • MaxxaM 2010/03/12 22:38:56
    MaxxaM
  • 16 2010/03/12 21:29:19
    Other.
    16
    +1
    I didn't know hate crime was assinged for a specific group of people.
  • eroomas 2010/03/12 20:10:41
    Other.
    eroomas
    +1
    As a Heterosexual white male I don't believe that I need that protection.I believe in the concept of hate crime laws but certainly don't think their needs to be a race specific hate crime law.
  • Quazimoto 2010/03/12 19:55:05
    Other.
    Quazimoto
    +2
    In our society all white's have been labeled as racist by the media and other races.
    I'm sorry what was the question again?
  • eroomas Quazimoto 2010/03/12 20:03:49
    eroomas
    what society do you live in?
  • Desirae 2010/03/12 19:53:51
    Other.
    Desirae
    +1
    OK no one should be discriminated no matter the color there are or gender. I am going to say white people can't handle when they are not in control. White people still is in a better position then other races. I live in mount Vernon N.Y which is bigger then Pelham N.Y. Mount Vernon is poor and have no money in the schools. Blacks and other races is the majority in Mount Vernon. Now Pelham has good school and have money in there district. White people are the majority over there. Look white people don't want to go to school with black kids. That is why urban school is majority of blacks and other races. The school in Pelham only allow certain amount of black in there school. What is different? Whites are welcome in black schools, they just don't want to come and blacks are not welcome in white schools Why I don't know.
  • elijah 2010/03/12 18:20:06
    Other.
    elijah
    +2
    I THOUGHT THEY WERE ALREADY.
  • poisonivey35 2010/03/12 17:48:40
    poisonivey35
    +1
    If people want to hate, you cant stop it. Why someone does something mean or hateful should not be the issue. What they did should be the issue. You kill a man, you go to jail. No matter who the man was. If you rape a woman, you go to jail. To pick somepeople to be "more" protected than others is the Gov. saying who is more important and who are more valuable in their eyes. The Gov is to protect all Americans great and small. This is again, about POWER to the GOV. Taking it out of the control of local states and counties and cities. Big brother saying. "if you don't get it right, we will". Shut up stay out of local problems. Let the people rule themsleves and thier cities and towns. Politicians should concentrate on being honest, honorable and doing right, instead of power, corruption and looking for more ways to master the people.
  • Modest but real. Yah heard me? 2010/03/12 17:18:50
    Other.
    Modest but real. Yah heard me?
    +2
    Do we really even have to respond. Man come on hate degradates any race, we will never have total social harmony if we dont play it fair across the board
  • stace 2010/03/12 17:14:27
    stace
    +2
    Hate is hate no matter what race.

2014/09/16 13:38:22