Should Welfare Recipients Be Required to Take Drug Tests?

SodaHead News 2012/04/23 13:00:00
In an attempt to ensure that welfare money doesn't fuel drug habits or support illegal markets, Georgia has become the third state to require drug testing for recipients. The Social Responsibility and Accountability Act is scheduled to go into effect on July 1. From that date on, applicants cannot receive benefits if they fail a drug test, and the amount of time before they can apply again depends on how many times they've failed.

According to Reuters, Michigan and Florida have already passed similar laws. However, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled the law unconstitutional in 2003, and a federal lawsuit has the Florida law on hold. Oklahoma is also trying to pass a similar bill. Opponents are already planning to fight the Georgia law. Do you think it's fair to withhold welfare from drug users?

drug test

• Karma Qween 2014/03/20 18:26:39
    Karma Qween
    To remove all income does not stop the habit it merely enforces crime as a means to continue that habit.

Its too easy to say if you can afford drugs, then you can pay your own way, most people with severe street drug habits are born and raised into these surroundings (especially the next generation of kids).

Methods of prevention and psychological education intervention would be a much better way to attempt a resolve to these kind of situations.
  • freedom.lynn.5 2013/01/09 15:52:38
    freedom.lynn.5
    Florida did it and it cost taxpayers a whole lot more money and I think they wont find the harder drugs because it takes 1-3 days to get out of their system and I think its a waste of taxpayers money. I'm disable mentally and physical disable
  • tltodd 2012/11/25 22:50:43
    tltodd
    i am completely with doing some sort of community work for the assistance given to people in need. I can speak about this from both ways. I get help right now due to lay off and having kids to care for. However, I would gladly do community service to be given this help I get. I have no problem with it. I think either drug tests or making do community service to receive help from state or federal governments would make more funds controlled and not have to fork out so many. It is given to some that never ever see themselves getting off of because it is easy. However, I need the help and my worker is on me w a fine tooth comb and others have help thru the same place I am at and they never get anyone on them or any proof requested. I don't expect any of it to be handed over for nothing. I would be fine with them taking my tax refund if I was to receive any that year and if not when I do receive a refund I would be okay with them taking a portion or all to replace the help I received when in need. Other would disagree with that because they are in the wrong and they expect it to be given to them.
  • Dickson Lovah 2012/10/10 00:26:56
    Dickson Lovah
    +2
    No brainer. Not only should they be drug tested, but 6 mos. maximum and then you're off the public teet.
  • freedom... Dickson... 2013/01/09 15:58:01
    freedom.lynn.5
    There r disable people that's on foodstamps for the rest of their life's like me I am physical and mentally disable. This is a waste of money proven in Florida not to work it wasted more taxpayers money
  • wutever 2012/06/08 01:58:30
    wutever
    +3
    If u can afford drugs u can afford rent, also wut about people on welfair yhat r driving escalades and stuff like that. I dont think my tax money should go to people likr that i work my ass off can afford a car payment and groceries and im not on wellfair, wut kind of government kick backs do i get for not beeing a looser on wellfair? Iv known so many people on wellfair that cant seem to pay the rent or by food but they sure hav the money for an expinsive ass phone, car or clothing, ect.
  • CiCi wutever 2012/06/22 13:11:10 (edited)
    CiCi
    Not everybody on welfare is like that so please stop making generalizations but i do agree they should take drug tests
  • freedom... wutever 2013/01/09 15:56:10
    freedom.lynn.5
    My boyfriend works at a car dealership place and he told me that high mileage cars don't cost that much so they could of got a high mileage escalades for cheap.
  • JoshuaGNorman 2012/06/01 02:06:05
    JoshuaGNorman
    +2
    If you have to take a drug test to qualify for a job, you should have to take one to qualify for taxpayer funded assistance.
  • stephen 2012/05/23 03:42:45
    stephen
    +1
    I personally know drug users who recieve government assistance I think its an excellent idea to stop them
  • HAlex1972 stephen 2012/06/13 06:16:19
    HAlex1972
    +2
    Maybe so, but this isn't going to stop their drug use. I'm in favor of rehabilitation centers that use orthomolecular therapy (amino acid therapy). They have an 85% success rate. To compare, traditional rehabs have only a 10% success rate which is the same success rate for people that try to quit on their own, rendering these methods completely useless. You can't talk someone out of being a drug addict. We have to stop thinking that these are mental disorders. They have a biochemical basis to them and most addicts have developed a chemical imbalance that makes it nearly impossible for them to beat their habits without repairing their systems first.
    http://www.healthrecovery.com/ (for one example)
    These places aren't scams, they actually work so I don't understand why the medical profession doesn't give them more credence. The best one is the one mentioned above. Its located in Minnesota. There are only about 4 or 5 of these programs around the country and I'm working to get one set up in every state as a non-profit. I would love if the state and local governments would use their available funds for these centers instead of putting these people in prisons. Prisons don't work! They only breed more criminality.
  • TheBadOne HAlex1972 2012/06/23 22:00:29
  • stephen HAlex1972 2012/07/05 02:21:11
  • HAlex1972 stephen 2012/10/20 05:36:04
    HAlex1972
    If you know them, maybe you should go to their houses and tell them you want your money back. ;) I guess I'm just tired of everybody being searched all the time for everything under the sun, regardless of whether or not there is anything to suspect them of. That includes most employers, too. Unless there is a workplace accident, its really none of their business what people do on their own time.
  • stephen HAlex1972 2012/10/24 20:21:53
    stephen
    +2
    At the work place yeah but receiving something for free on someone else's dime isn't the same thing
  • jackpin... HAlex1972 2012/11/25 20:03:48
    jackpine savage
    I am tired of welfare for years..6 months and off for a year..plus PISS IN A LAB TEST FOR YOUR FREE STUFF..2 years of welfare and you are never readmitted
  • CaptCrash 2012/05/17 19:50:49
    CaptCrash
    +3
    It is a requirement for work, and if someone is going to tap into my paycheck (where else do welfare payments come from?) they damn well should meet the same conditions I have to.
  • HAlex1972 CaptCrash 2012/06/13 06:20:01
    HAlex1972
    +1
    It shouldn't be a requirement for work. What an invasion of privacy. I've actually met people that have worked as cashiers that are subjected to random drug tests. Drug tests should only be used if there is an accident or a suspected crime committed. Then there is a reasonable basis to ask a person to provide a urine sample.
    You're being treated like a common criminal when you are subjected to drug testing as a condition of employment. Its none of your employer's business what you do on your time. I can understand if you're flying a commercial plane, or if you are a surgeon. These are jobs where other people's lives are in your hands, but a cashier?
  • HIGHIQINNY HAlex1972 2012/06/19 13:21:36
    HIGHIQINNY
    +1
    What a great attitude!!! I can only hope that you get into a car accident with someone who IS NOT on drugs, but then you get operated on in a hospital by a surgeon who IS on drugs. How does that senario work for you sparky?
  • HAlex1972 HIGHIQINNY 2012/10/20 05:37:55
    HAlex1972
    +1
    Evidently, you didn't read my post very well. And wow, what a thing to wish on someone.
  • jackpin... HIGHIQINNY 2012/11/25 20:07:01
    jackpine savage
    highiqinny...get real..I will take my chances...COWARDS USE DRUGS...WELFARE RATS USE DRUGS
  • Karma Q... HAlex1972 2014/03/20 18:35:39
    Karma Qween
    HAIex1972

agree with you. Invasion of privacy. Not all drug use is drug abuse, if taking recreational drugs does not harm anyone else then where is the crime?

Recreational drugs are of no one elses business and in affect are better for you than the majority of prescribed medications.

Recreational drugs are taken in moderation, by choice, are in fact former medications or natural substances that do not induce toxic chemical reactions.

Medication is taken on continuum (some times for life) without ever giving the body time to heal and are proven to induce both side effects and adverse reactions.
  • Karma Q... Karma Q... 2014/03/20 18:44:40
    Karma Qween
    My point above being, not all drug users are hard drug users who commit crime and dont work etc etc.

In connection with those who are hard drug users - Most of the celeb world are known for their drug abusing ways, shipped off to expensive rehab clinics that they ever fail so why are the poorer in society treated with such venom because of situational circumstances?

People need learn that the word drug does not mean crack head scumbag.
  • HAlex1972 2012/05/09 04:00:31
    HAlex1972
    +2
    No, you never open the door to vampires, and allowing this is the same thing. It won't end there.
  • kobidob... HAlex1972 2012/05/22 01:50:40 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Agreed. Humans should have the right to do what they want to do under the sun. This is their time under the sun. The Pharmaceutical industry are more than vampires the are Sorcerers. I am not just saying that.
  • jackpin... kobidob... 2012/11/25 20:08:22
    jackpine savage
    WITHIN REASON AT THEIR EXPENSE...NOT MINE...
  • kobidob... jackpin... 2012/11/29 07:01:30 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    http://alivehc.com/index.html,

chiropracticcentermarin.com
    (415) 877-1227 -

433 Miller Ave, Mill Valley, CA

www.upcspine.com. All ages now Doing this for all will prevent money from going to wizards, witches, warlocks and sorcerers practicing what amounts to alchemy. They will not be profiting like they are profiting now.
  • Seras Superstar 2012/05/04 02:21:21
    Seras Superstar
    +3
    It didn't work in Florida. Not only did it cost taxpayers more in the long run, but only 2% of people failed it.
  • ProVega 2012/05/02 05:46:00
    ProVega
    +2
    Costs should be kept in mind because these laws are expensive to enforce and are typicality not cost effective.
  • TomFlet... ProVega 2012/05/06 16:03:36
    TomFletcher
    Drug testing should be part of welfare qualification. We'd save money in the long term
  • ProVega TomFlet... 2012/05/06 22:42:46 (edited)
    ProVega
    +1
    That's not true. The saving money part. Look it up.
  • RnRHern... ProVega 2012/05/22 14:08:55
    RnRHernandez
    That's probably because most recipients smoke crack and it does not lie in your system like Marijuana.
  • Larry M 2012/05/01 23:01:55
    Larry M
    +1
    However, anyone one concerned about more laws and loss of civil liberties?
  • TomFlet... Larry M 2012/05/06 16:06:19
    TomFletcher
    What about the lost civil liberties of the tax payers financing welfare. ???
  • Larry M TomFlet... 2012/05/09 14:43:56
    Larry M
    +1
    Agreed, I'm very much an economic Conservative and just to the Left of center Socially. I don't believe we are doing right by Wellfare simply because it creates a class of people who don't want to do for them selves. Unsustainable that if not dealt with now will be unavoidable soon. They take half of my income now and I deeply resent it.

I'm just playing devils advocate and I hate regulation almost as much as high taxes.
  • HAlex1972 Larry M 2012/06/13 06:27:30
    HAlex1972
    I agree with you on both points.
  • HAlex1972 Larry M 2012/06/13 06:27:16
    HAlex1972
    Yes!! I've been watching, for 20 years, our government slowly, but systematically chipping away at our freedoms. They use propaganda to convince people, such as the one's posting on here, that it is for our own good.
  • Jeri 2012/05/01 20:54:17
    Jeri
    If children are involved im not sure how they would be able to deny, but they should not be giving money to drug addicts who are probably using it for themselves and the kids are being neglected. Even if they are just giving foodstamps those can be sold or exchanged for money.
  • kmsarvis314 2012/05/01 18:48:53
    kmsarvis314
    +2
    No! Drug addiction is an illness and people who are poor are disproportionally effected. It would be a text book example of discrimination to enact this law. Also,what's to stop them from blowing the money on booze ? .I will only get behind this law when everyone who collects any type of government subsidy is banned from drinking alcohol.
  • Larry M kmsarvi... 2012/05/01 23:03:50
    Larry M
    You can't buy booze with food stamps.

2014/04/23 16:57:47