Should welfare be cut?

Donatello 2013/03/10 14:18:43
Almost all of the money collected by the IRS now goes to paying "Entitlements" - things like welfare, food stamps and government programs.

Entitlement spending is quickly approaching the $2.5 Trillion dollar mark - which is nearly every penny that the IRS collects. This is unsustainable.
entitlement spending government welfare waste

Where does much of this welfare money go?
The lion's share goes to the overpaid bureaucrats who give away the money to the loafers and fakers.

Here is a typical ghetto dad that the current welfare system enables:
entrepreneur larmondo welfare drug dealer bum scum

They called him an 'entrepreneur'.
25 years old and 9 children by multiple ghetto baby-mamas supported by your tax dollars.

Read More: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2995345/p...

• darcie lamar 2013/03/10 15:49:10
    Yes, welfare needs to be drastically cut.
    darcie lamar
    +9
    Welfare recipients should work for their benefits if they are able bodied. 40 hours a week, cleaning public parks, working in shelters, anything that provides a public service. They should also be drug tested and the fathers of these children should be paying for their kids or pound rocks in prison (wearing pink of course). This is not just about blacks btw, there are plenty of people abusing the system of every color.

• Daisy's Brother 2013/03/14 09:23:18
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Daisy's Brother
    The more you help and uplift the poor and needy the more they will repay that help in the future, its called community.
  • Donatello Daisy's... 2013/03/20 00:45:07
  • Donna 2013/03/11 23:15:26
    Donna
    +1
    The welfare crowd in my area are actually living better than those who have to work to pay for it. Don't tell them that though. This is where the lions share of our tax dollars are going and they are still crying for more. It's amazing how they get to skip the 'rea'l world. . The Governor of my state is being forced to make cuts. He is trying his best not to raise taxes on the working folk and instead wants to make cuts to entitlements. He is getting shut down all the way. From what I see there is more than plenty of room for cuts there. Welfare is supposed to be a helping hand, not a way of life.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/03/11 13:16:08
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    It should used as intended. A temporary fix. I was on it for a short spell a couple of decades ago. I got off of it when I got a job.
    I KNOW of others who refuse to work. They need taken off of it.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2013/03/11 09:16:04
    Charles R. Anderson
    +3
    Morally, it wrong to steal from those who produce to give to those who do not. Pragmatically, the entitlements cannot be sustained and the damage to the growth of the economy over a generation is bringing down everyone's future standard of living, including that of the poor.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/03/11 04:22:36
    Rebel [SHP]
    +1
    It's a revolving door trap that the poor will never escape. Yes it needs to be cut and we need to put better programs into it's place.
  • Kaleokualoha 2013/03/11 03:44:59
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    The lion's share of federal entitlements payments is to Social security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Do you consider these to be "welfare"? How about government pensions? Are these welfare? How about food stamps?

[QUOTE]
    The six programs most commonly associated with the “social safety net” include: (1) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), (2) the Food Stamp Program (FSP), (3) Supplemental Security Income (SSI), (4) Medicaid, (5) housing assistance, and (6) the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The federal government is the primary funder of all six, although TANF and Medicaid each require a 25–50 percent state funding match. The first five programs are administered locally (by the states, counties, or local federal agencies), whereas EITC operates as part of the regular federal tax system. Outside the six major programs are many smaller government-assistance programs (e.g., Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children [WIC]; general assistance [GA]; school-based food programs; and Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program [LIHEAP]), which have extensive numbers of participants but pay quite modest benefits.
    [END QUOTE http://www.econlib.org/librar... ]

Single adults may get housing and food assistance, but not much else.
  • GAC 2013/03/11 02:32:03
    GAC
    +2
    My advice to the 47% of this country who are dependent on entitlements in one way or another: GET OFF THE GOVERNMENT'S TEAT!!!!!
  • Ozzyboy 2013/03/11 02:02:19
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    In the real world an employer doesn't pay you according to how many children you have. He pays you for your productivity no ability to reproduce. No government program should be any different. Your family will get $200 a week, maximum. With free health care, no insurance premiums, taxes or any of the other little pesky little bills the rest of us have to pay, that should be plenty. IF you are ever caught cheating or selling your benefits you will have a choice. Give up all benefits immediately and forever or give your children to more responsible adults until you can support them yourself. Wouldn't that change the entitlement mentality?
  • trip1772 2013/03/11 00:45:46
    trip1772
    +1
    Drug testing, skills training and job placement should be implemented. Take a 2-3 month period to train and find a job. If they miss more than 2 days they are automatically thrown out and lose all benefits. The ones who can't hold down a job due to physical or mental issues should be evaluated at least 1 or 2 times a year.
  • Angi 2013/03/10 23:29:21
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Angi
    +1
    Why is it costing more, is it because people are poorer and hard up. I am certain its not because the majority of people are abusing it. Why has it become open season on very poor people, and the ones who have caused people to be poorer are richer and immune to criticism. What kind of society judges success on just monetary wealth. I hear criticism in my country about poor and people on welfare, the only ones who seem to make any sense to me are the church and I don't like the church, I have even thought of going to church.
  • Prime Time Lime 2013/03/10 20:11:41
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    No,welfare is the only thing between the street and a home.I cannot see anyone wanting to see others homeless.
  • Burnjuan 2013/03/10 18:48:52
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Burnjuan
    +2
    No, but corporate welfare need to be cut COMPLETELY!!!
  • mich52 2013/03/10 18:24:52
  • Rev. J. B. 2013/03/10 17:44:37
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Rev. J. B.
    +2

SS and Medicare are not paid for with IRS income and are not entitlements.

By far the majority of IRS dollars (Federal Income Tax) goes to the Department of Defense. Make your cuts there.
  • MtDuffer 2013/03/10 17:01:06
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    MtDuffer
    .The reason that I voted no is because it shouldn't be cut as much as to investigate fraud. There are hundreds of people who are on welfare that does not belong. So, like so many laws when it comes to entitlements there are people who abuse the system and the Federal Government does not investigate them. I much rather see the government hire more welfare fraud investigators than more menial government jobs. You would be spending money to save money.

There is only one drawback ------ is that person or party will lose a lot of voters. That is why no one cares.
  • Joe 2013/03/10 16:45:41
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Joe
    +2
    Before anyone chooses "yes" or "no" on this question, he/she should look carefully at what is considered "welfare," who is receiving it, and why. I said "No" because I believe that most "welfare recipients" truly need and deserve assistance (e.g., veterans).
  • Mack 2013/03/10 16:44:38
    Mack
    +3
    We've all seen it plenty of times. The baby-mama with 6 kids (all from different dads, all dads in jail) paying with food stamps for groceries then going to her Cadillac Escalade (insert current year because god forbid she gets caught in one from the year before). Or the drug dealer down the street who has the latest entertainment system yet manages to somehow draw section 8 housing.

The system as it is is a sham. We need to fix this before the parasites take over completely. I understand that our fellow Americans are drawing unemployment because of the economy and that's ok. I understand that a lot of people collect section 8 and food stamps because they old, physically or mentally handicapped and that's perfectly fine, that's why it's there! But we have WAYT TOO MANY who abuse the system and it needs to stop.

An excellent example is getting drug tested to receive benefits. Something that the parasites and their counterparts are fighting tooth and nail. Why should you get a free check and not piss when I have to piss to make sure I get money to the government to pay for you? My point is that we don't need to necessarily cut welfare but we have to start policing these benefits much more and filter out the parasites from those who really need it.
  • Donna Mack 2013/03/11 23:02:08
    Donna
    +1
    And those on unemployment have to look for work & pay taxes. i think with welfare being allotted to almost 50 % of the population that this would be a nice addition to the welfare system & would help our deficit. I remember when they used to come outside & check out your car. Driving a new Cadillac ? Guess what, you're out.
  • Adam 2013/03/10 16:31:08
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Adam
    +1
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/4...

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

I work for Social Security. Ill grant you that Social Security is not other programs like TANF, food stamps and whathaveyou, but I do see a large, random sampling of people on disability and low income, low resources Suplementary Security Income. On one occasion, by the rules of the program, there was a monthly check given to a young-ish adult who didn't strike me as very deserving. Now his father died, so really he was collecting money that might have gone to the father retirement, but still, Ill aknowledge that one could interpret that as a waste.

Later that day, someone else got disability. It was to a young women who was taking care of her mother with terminal brain cancer. It wasn't comparatively much, but it allowed her to live with some semblance of quality of life before she died. Ive seen desperate widows embracing there children, telling them that they don't have to be homeless after all. Ive seen older people injured enough that they can't keep doing there current job, and they are too old to be hired anywhere else, suddenly realizing that they will be able to pay there bills , and try to contribute what they can in the form of volunteering and odd jobs.

Yes, scams, the lazy, and general jerks ...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4...

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Yes, scams, the lazy, and general jerks exist, and they hurt us. No sympathy for them, and if there is a way to weed them out without hurting the people who really need it, I am all for it: I myself don't even process claims yet, and I can see how there is room for streamlining, and cost saving without harming peoples well being. But for every maybe scam artist, there is a hell of a lot more decent, hard working people in need of help because of unforseeable circumstances. It is unconscionable to screw over a hundred victims to weed out the one jerk. The nature of being charitable in the biblical sense is that occasionally, you help out jerks, but that is not more important then the many people you help who deserve it.

If your house burns down, or gets flooded, you don't hesitate to collect insurance on it after you paid your premiums. If you get sick, you don't pay the whole bill if you get insurance from your work, and if a Bank dies, you have no problems benefiting from FDIC. And even though there are arsons, insurance scams, corrupt banks and the like, it does not undermine the fact that insurance provides a safety net that encourages people to take risks that benefit society by managing that risk. Social programs are insurance, and taxes are our premiums. You don't blame a cancer patient for increasing your premiums, and the myth of hoards of lazy, shiftless drug addicts doing nothing but collecting checks is a demonstable myth challenged only by petty anecdotes.
  • Wolf 2013/03/10 16:15:13
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Wolf
    +1
    The first step is address the bloated Public Sector operations (Federal, state and local) with 50% over staffing and compensation levels plus their multi-million dollar pension scam ---this restructuring and reform would return over $2.5 Trillion annually to the private sector and eliminate all deficits ---tune Social Security into a pension system in 25 years and it will be self-sustaining at the $10K to $26K annually, reform the Medicare which is a fraud since it could never supplement more than $5K annually to the members----but first address the cancer of the Public Sector that is bankrupting the nation---
  • Joe Joe 2013/03/10 15:53:46
  • mich52 Joe Joe 2013/03/10 18:27:59
  • Matt 2013/03/10 15:50:41 (edited)
    No, it does not need to be cut.
    Matt
    +2
    Thieving, treasonous, Democrats and Republicans sent all of our manufacturing jobs overseas. Let them cut welfare to foreign countries, foreign banks, and foreign corporations. Stop giving the Pentagon $2 billion per day to waste.
    Negotiating
  • darcie lamar 2013/03/10 15:49:10
    darcie lamar
    +9
  • Joe Joe darcie ... 2013/03/10 15:57:30
  • darcie ... Joe Joe 2013/03/10 16:04:59
    darcie lamar
    +9
    Link? I see a lot of abuse in the system daily. You might want to fact check your stats? I know of able bodied people who scam every dollar they can from the government and laugh about it as they smoke two packs a day and go to food banks. Those that deserve welfare, I'm proud to help, those that abuse the system are scum in my book.
  • Joe Joe darcie ... 2013/03/10 16:13:58
  • Mel the... Joe Joe 2013/03/10 16:29:45
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +2
    True many are made up by people like you.....
  • Joe Joe Mel the... 2013/03/10 16:49:48
  • MtDuffer Joe Joe 2013/03/10 17:22:31
    MtDuffer
    +1
    Now, you are doing something very stupid by bringing in Politics. That is so ignorant. This whole thing is about fraud. No one wants to take anything away for the people who need it. READ MY LIPS --- IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO MIS-USE THE WELFARE SYSTEMS THAT NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT AND WHEN THAT HAPPENS THE COST OF WELFARE WILL GO DOWN. JUST GIVE THAT A MINUTE OR TWO TO SINK IN YOUR BRAIN.
  • Joe Joe MtDuffer 2013/03/10 18:37:48
  • MtDuffer Joe Joe 2013/03/10 23:54:09
    MtDuffer
    What Joe Joe you can't respond with out using four letter words? Then I was correct in stating that you are Stupid.
  • tytyvyllus MtDuffer 2013/03/10 21:14:33
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    they need to expand the fraud units
  • MtDuffer tytyvyllus 2013/03/10 23:55:55
    MtDuffer
    +1
    Yes, Yes and have them work 24/7, the cost of a National Fraud Unit would save millions of dollars even after paying them to find the fraud.
  • tytyvyllus MtDuffer 2013/03/11 00:07:35
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    if you do not believe the following I will not fault you for I was there and I don't believe it. I used to work at welfare/social services and the fraud unit uncovered so many cases of fraud that they laid off some of the workers in the fraud dept.
  • MtDuffer tytyvyllus 2013/03/11 00:15:12
    MtDuffer
    +1
    It is hard to believe but I can see it happening it is the old "I won't tell, if you don't"
  • tytyvyllus MtDuffer 2013/03/11 00:19:42
    tytyvyllus
    and it is getting really really old
  • MtDuffer Joe Joe 2013/03/10 17:17:25
    MtDuffer
    +1
    Why can't you open your eyes. What you are telling us that everyoned on welfare are honest and should be on it. Your thinking is way off base. We are not talking about the obvious people who need it we are talking about the scamers.

Listen, my wife had a friend that needed somebody to take her to the Food Share building to get her a Thanksgiving dinner. So, I voluntered ------------ what happened that day was dispicable. She had me go to three different places and she got three complete Thanksgiving dinners. I asked her why did she do it and she said they offered it and I took it. That was the last time we did anything for her.

Shortly after that a group of people started the ball rolling on stopping people getting more than one "Free Dinners". It was brought up and passed by the Montana Government and now they have to show ID and it is put into the system so that other places can check for double-ups.

Two very important things happen when this is done ----First they can run out of food for the people who really need it and Second it inflates the number of people in the Welfare system.
  • Joe Joe MtDuffer 2013/03/10 17:25:28

2014/09/20 08:06:19