Should we spend more on education?

L.A. Times 2013/02/06 16:00:00
Not long after President Obama proclaimed in his second inaugural that "an economic recovery has begun," we learned that the U.S. economy actually shrank in the last quarter. Many economists believe this is a temporary setback. This recovery may be the weakest in American history, but the economy isn't cratering either.

Still, you can bet that if the economy continues to contract, Obama will propose the same remedy he always has: more "investments" in education, infrastructure and various industries of the future. It seems that whatever the ailment, Dr. Obama always writes the same prescription.

This is hardly shocking: Building roads and schools is a big reason why God created Democrats in the first place. And identifying the Next Big Thing — and taking credit for it — is something of a vocation for many liberal policymakers. But are these really the drivers of economic growth?

obama

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-...

• Murph 2013/02/06 20:17:29
    Murph
    +12
    Abolish the Department of Education and turn education over to local school boards.

• Anna 2013/03/08 03:11:38
    Anna
    But we need more education.
  • Bonita Colley 2013/02/11 20:52:32
    Bonita Colley
    We need to get the government out of education and back in the hands of the community!!!!! Also quit buying all those indoctrination books at insane prices!!!! Get back to the basics, back to the people, and kick the government out of all our business!!!!
  • clasact 2013/02/10 11:41:54
    clasact
    I always thought it was funny that we will pay an actor or a ball player millions of dollars but think the people who educate our children should get much less.I do think more should be spent on education but along with that there should be tighter requriments and higher standards
    +1
    Not if the spending goes to more six-figure salaries for administrators and University bureaucrats.
  • shadow76 2013/02/08 17:00:08
    shadow76
    Money is not the problem. The problem is what they are not being taught! They should go back to the old ways,the ones that worked!
  • PapaBC 2013/02/08 16:28:11
    PapaBC
    +1
    Get rid of all the dead-weight at colleges. Lower the fees and base entry totally on grades not skin color.

Make it easier for US Citizen Kids to gain entry over foreign students.
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2013/02/08 14:53:06
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Absolutely. It is an investment in the future of our nation.
  • Lee Donald ... 2013/02/08 15:32:10
    Lee
    How much do you think will be enough though?
  • Donald ... Lee 2013/02/08 18:28:09
    Donald Eric Kesler
    There should be one teacher per ten students. Each teacher should be paid a six figure salary and have access to unlimited educational resources. We could readily do this if we simply ceased becoming embroiled in foreign military conflicts.
  • ComeOnNow Donald ... 2013/02/08 19:50:36
    ComeOnNow
    Six figure salaries for being off 4 months per year. Really? 10 students per teacher may be good in certain areas but completely unnecessary in others. Blanket policies are the bad part of a federally controlled system. (1) Hold the Parents Responsible:

- If the child acts up in school in addition to getting detention or suspension the parents should get fined like a parking ticket.

- If the child gets below a C in any course the Parents should be fined for that as well. The fine should be half the amount it cost to teach a public school child one class for a D and the full amount for an F. (Negotiable)

- If the student is persistently tardy or absent and there is no medical reason, the parent should receive a fine as well.

(2) There should be separate classes or even schools for those that get good grades and for those that do not. That way those that get good grades can move along at a quicker pace and are not distracted, and those that do not can get extra attention.

(3) Education should be moved to the state level instead of under the federal government. States have a much better knowledge of their individual districts and their needs than do the federal government.

(4) Instead of the property taxes of a local area going to the school, the property taxes of the st...

(4) Instead of the property taxes of a local area going to the school, the property taxes of the state should go to the school. This will even out the differentiation in funding from suburb schools over the inner city schools.

(5) Offer a school voucher program for children to go to a private school for up to the cost it takes to educate a child in the public school.

So what does everyone think?

Is this at aleast a good starting point?
  • Donald ... ComeOnNow 2013/02/08 20:24:33
    Donald Eric Kesler
    We could easily afford to pay educators these salaries. Likewise, we could build as many classrooms as we needed. We just need to stop screwing around in other countries.

I don't care about private schools. I oppose voucher programs that take money from public schools to fund private schools. You may walk to work, but we still use your tax dollars to fix pot holes.

Some states, like Georgia, would have classes on creationism and astrology instead of biology and astronomy. So, I don't know about moving education away from federal oversight.

Your other suggestions seem reasonable. Parents must assume a role.
  • ComeOnNow Donald ... 2013/02/08 20:50:55
    ComeOnNow
    You oppose the voucher program because apparently you do not like parents and students being able to choose the education that they feel is superior. You would rather there be no competition and continued mediocrity in the education system. It also appears that you like to keep the vastly wasteful and inefficient federal government ruining the education system and taking an individual areas ability to decide what is best for their students so that students can learn what you not the parents think what is best even if that means shoveling unionism, socialism, an anti capitalism down the children's throats. We definitely have a difference of opinion on those topics.
  • Donald ... ComeOnNow 2013/02/08 21:20:33
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Parents retain the freedom to select alternate educational opportunities for their children. I just don't think they should taking funds away from public school.

I, too, would like the option to dictate exactly where my tax dollars go. Instead of spending my money on foreign military bases, I would like a voucher to help pay off the mortgage on my house. However, I realize that is not how taxes work.

I do not think unionism, socialism or anti-capitalism is being shoved down student's throats. Do you have any data to support this contention?
  • ComeOnNow Donald ... 2013/02/12 12:13:09
    ComeOnNow
    +1
    Why are you so caught up on the public school system when it typically cost less per student for a better education at most private schools. Shouldn't your priority be the quality of education for our children and giving parents the choice where to send their own children?
  • Donald ... ComeOnNow 2013/02/12 15:27:10
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Parents retain the choice to educate their children as they deem fit. The state should not, however, allow tax payers to simply opt out of providing a quality education for every child.

I have no children. This was a choice my wife and I made together. Should we be allowed to get an educational voucher to further our own education?

Education and economic opportunity are the two items that have been demonstrated time and time again to reduce crime and improve society. It is money that is well spent.
  • ComeOnNow Donald ... 2013/02/23 23:55:19
    ComeOnNow
    That is a poor argument. Rarely is any government ever well spent. The cost of education has tripled in the last few decades but test scores have remained flat, people graduate that can not even read, and drop out rates have been going up. Hardly a justification for money well spent.
  • Donald ... ComeOnNow 2013/02/24 02:49:41
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I agree that we should radically revamp education in the U.S. Instead of merely spending three times as much, we should spend three hundred times as much. The whole educational system should be torn down and rebuilt.

We can pay for it by gutting the needless military budget.
  • Lee Donald ... 2013/02/11 13:35:17
    Lee
    Ok you have given me general ideas but no number.
  • Donald ... Lee 2013/02/11 20:35:12
    Donald Eric Kesler
    I am neither an educator nor a building contractor nor a book seller. I do not have an exact dollar amount.

For the sake of your point, let us say that the total required is 300 billion dollars a year. We could afford this if we cut our bloated military budget in half.
  • iamnothere 2013/02/08 13:18:32
    iamnothere
    there is a good reason we had vo tech schools they train people to do what most in society need Shifting more dollars to train people to sit and play with their pencils is a nice thing to talk about.. but if there are no jobs for the pencil pushers . What good is it?

Meanwhile thousands of jobs go wanting because we do not have enough folks trained to do "common" but skilled labor
  • modurhead 2013/02/08 12:50:54
    modurhead
    at least as much as we spend of defense
  • Moodybloo70 2013/02/08 11:04:06
    Moodybloo70
    It already costs too much.
  • USAF Vet 2013/02/08 08:52:08
    USAF Vet
    +1
    Until the day comes when someone intelligently defines a reasonable ceiling on the cost of education, my answer is a vehement NO. ‘Educated’ educators will always answer ‘yes’ to the question, then fall on their face when asked to give a reasonable dollar amount. To the educator, ‘reasonable’ means; as much as they can squeeze from the Federal, State, and local governments, not to mention the student…and when the final tally comes in, it’s still not enough to fill the pension funds, the Democrat political action committees and NEA lobbyist’s coffers at the Department of Education, to hell with the student.
  • sally 2013/02/08 08:38:57
    sally
    Some people just don't accept the education handed over to them.
  • Masaca 2013/02/08 08:36:28
    Masaca
  • Mark In Irvine 2013/02/08 06:45:56
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    Really people? You prefer that the citizens of the country are uneducated and stupid? That's pretty stupid if you ask me. Ignorance plays into the hands of despots and tyrants.
  • Lee Mark In... 2013/02/08 15:35:15
    Lee
    We spend more on education per student than any other western civilization and still fall far behind on test scores. How do you explain that?
  • Mark In... Lee 2013/02/12 02:10:29
    Mark In Irvine
    stupid parents who don't or can't create a learning-friendly environment in the home ...
  • nobiggov 2013/02/08 05:33:40
    nobiggov
    +1
    Elimination of unions and allowing School CHOICE are the two things that need to happen before our nation can compete again world wide. Remember, most things that the Government controls eventually goes bankrupt. Better the money be tied directly to the individual student rather than to a school district. Let the parents choose.
  • Lee nobiggov 2013/02/08 15:36:12
    Lee
    +1
    I want to rave you 1,00 times you are 100% correct.
  • cmdrbnd007 2013/02/08 05:07:45 (edited)
    cmdrbnd007
    We spend significantly more on education than most other developed countries and our test scores are still falling. More money is not the answer
  • Wesloco 2013/02/08 04:20:20
    Wesloco
    +1
    ...if not on education, then on what?
  • DavidK 2013/02/08 04:08:49
    DavidK
    Why? So all these graduates can go on Government assistance after graduation?!?!?!?!?
  • Mishka 2013/02/08 03:01:13
    Mishka
    +1
    Money is not the answer. Look to Finland, who is recognized across the world as having the best education system in the world. This is not because they dump money into the schools or teacher paychecks, but mainly because they emphasize respect for teachers and the profession in general and they do not force them to conform to a single teaching method. More countries need to adopt their model.
  • Jim 2013/02/08 02:28:44
    Jim
    The problem with education isn't money. The problem is the teacher's unions. School systems can't punish or fire bad teachers because of the unions. If we get rid of the unions, then we can get rid of bad teachers. We get rid of Obama and we can get rid of the unions.
  • TheBorg Jim 2013/02/08 06:16:36
    TheBorg
    You need to stop listening to propaganda radio. I too thought teachers could not be fired and unions were to blame until I read our district's teacher contract. Then I read contracts from 5 other districts and guess what?!?! Every single contract outlines exactly how to fire any teacher no matter how long they have taught. It basically comes down to documentation. Unions are not the cause of crappy teachers, crappy administrators are the cause of crappy teachers.
    taught basically documentation unions crappy teachers crappy administrators crappy teachers
  • Lee TheBorg 2013/02/08 15:39:16
    Lee
    You are correct they can be fired but many times it costs the school district more to do that and the process is way to cumbersome
  • TheBorg Lee 2013/02/09 06:22:07 (edited)
    TheBorg
    I cannot talk about any district other than the five in Wisconsin I've read the contracts too. Each district has it's own teacher contract so generalizing to ALL teachers everywhere is more than ridiculous. What I read was if the employee wishes to contest the firing, a closed door meeting is held with the employee, administration and the school board. The school board then makes a decision. If the employee doesn't agree with the boards decision, the employee can choose binding arbitration. If the administration has done it's job, followed the contract and has documentation, it is not overly costly to present arguments in front of an arbitrator or in front of the board. As for the teachers' union, they will not pay for or defend an educator in civil court. Once it gets through arbitration, the union is done with it.

What is costly is when the school district's attorneys have to try and defend an administrator who tries to fire someone without following the contract or having a document trail. You have not convinced me that the problem has anything to do with a cumbersome process, the teachers' union and not bad administration. If fact, from the contracts I've read, the process is anything but cumbersome. I would highly recommend actually reading your district's contract instead of making generalized claims you hear on talk radio.
  • Lee TheBorg 2013/02/11 13:40:09
    Lee
    I have, my wife works for the school so you should not assume that I am a sheeple.
  • TheBorg Lee 2013/02/12 01:22:45
    TheBorg
    Sorry, you made it sound like you were generalizing to all school districts everywhere. If you agree that contracts vary by school district and that some districts have contracts that do not make it cumbersome nor overly expensive to fire someone, then clearly the fault of districts that cannot relatively easily fire educators falls on the administration of the district and not the teachers' union since the teacher's union is ubiquitous and district administration is not.

If you believe all districts are the same then regardless of where you get your information from, by definition you would be a "sheeple."

From what you wrote I clearly cannot make an assumption either way on what your beliefs are so for that I am sorry.

2014/11/23 07:37:02