Should we lock up the children of criminals?

Roger47 2012/06/16 18:53:03
Yes.
No.
President Obama recently signed an executive order allowing people brought here illegally as children to remain here and be able to work, rather than be deported back to a country they may not even remember. The rationale behind this was that we were already granting such relief on a case by case basis because it was the right thing to do, so we might as well just announce we are doing it for all of them who have become educated and ho have not committed crimes.
This decision has been criticized by his political opponents, who have renewed calls to deport everybody we can. But for many of those who came here as children, this is the only country they know. And the only reason they are here is that their parents brought them with the parents, when the parents came here in search of a better life for their families. These children have done nothing wrong.
To punish them y deporting them to a country they do not know, where thay may no longer even have any family that they know, is the moral equivalent of locking up the children of criminals because their parent committed a crime. Would it be morally right to do that?

• Jack's Pearl 2012/06/16 19:00:13
    No.
    Jack's Pearl
    +5
    I don't even think of the parents as criminals. They came here in desperate need of a better life for themselves. And to send these children back to a country they don't know anything about and have never set foot on is terrible. That they got here illegally is so much a smaller issue then the human issue of survival and a good life. Aren't they considered American Citizens just based on the fact they were born here? And those that came so young, didn't choose to do so illegally. We should not punish them.

• Jensenmk 2012/07/07 16:35:41
    No.
    Jensenmk
    We need to secure the border immediately to slow the flow of people who choose not to follow our laws (criminals) by illegally entering our country and then demanding entitlements.

Regardless of how 'well-meaning' you might think you are, the 'cons' of illegal immigration far outweigh any 'pros'; if you want to emigrate to the US, then do so legally.
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/07/07 16:13:11
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2012/06/18 14:30:49
    Yes.
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    If their parents can come here and learn to live in a foreign country then by the same token the parents and their childern can be deported and then learn to live in their birth country or land of nativity. Of course you can continue the same open door policy and constant forgiveness for some more years until our nation becomes a sub culture over run by criminals.
  • Keeping It Real 2012/06/18 10:49:44
    Yes.
    Keeping It Real
    Disregard my answer I meant NO because kids cannot or should not be responsible for their parents action.
  • Charles E 2012/06/18 01:41:29
    Yes.
    Charles E
    +3
    Trick question.

If they are not citizens or legal residents, being here is a crime.
    So while you are attempting to defend "children" because they were brought here, they are still the criminals and not innocent children.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/06/18 01:35:34
    No.
    Reggie☮
    +3
    We should packed them up and send them and their parents back home.
  • ana 2012/06/17 09:48:51
    No.
    ana
    i dont know!!
  • Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/06/17 06:31:05 (edited)
    Yes.
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    Detained and deported immediately, along with their parent(s) and any other extended Illegal Alien family members who are here against Federal Law as well, thereby meaning FELONS. All aiders and abettors of the same and who are either Natural-Born or Legal Naturalized Citizens of the United States, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law as well. Nobody said that Laws were never cruel, but they are the Laws of this Nation and they must be followed without exception. No more selective enforcement. The CONGRESS made it's declaration and the MAJORITY of American Citizens have spoken and they have said NO to the Dream Act and to Amnesty. That should well and good enough have been the end of it.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/06/17 01:53:25
    No.
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +3
    Silly question. Who's saying they should be locked up? Deportation is the issue, and the President of the U.S. is bypassing the law of the land.

A procedure exists for people who want to become citizens; let these kids use it.
  • Charles E jubil8 ... 2012/06/18 01:45:12
    Charles E
    +3
    And while asking these people (30 is not a child) to obey our laws, demand that our president enforce the law that is and not whatever he wants it to be this week in the election cycle.

PS: They are still not citizens and not elgible to vote.
  • jubil8 ... Charles E 2012/06/20 04:30:30
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    All fine by me. :)
  • Charles E jubil8 ... 2012/06/20 15:06:09
    Charles E
    +1
    We agree. :)
  • jubil8 ... Charles E 2012/06/20 21:50:54
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Do you think we'll have much luck with Rahm or Quinn agreeing too? :)
  • Charles E jubil8 ... 2012/06/20 23:38:23
    Charles E
    +1
    Never happen. :-(
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/06/17 00:09:35
    No.
    Jorge Enriquez
    why they?
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2012/06/16 23:06:10 (edited)
    No.
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    They are Americans in their heart, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper.
    They speak English as their primary language and have no attachment to any other nation, some have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Charles E LesWagg... 2012/06/18 01:47:45
    Charles E
    +1
    You are assigning traits of the minority to all illegal aliens.
    Most still speak there native language primarily of exclusively.
    Many still consider themselves first citizens ot the country they left.
  • LesWagg... Charles E 2012/06/18 22:05:15
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    You are telling me that a child brought to the U.S. at the age of two has an attachment for their parents nation of origin?
    Something tells me that you have had little or no contact with the families of illegals.
  • Charles E LesWagg... 2012/06/18 22:28:58
    Charles E
    +1
    Children are taught more by their parents than by schools. If the parents still have strong attachments to their homeland odds are that they have instilled that same loyalty in their children.
  • jubil8 ... LesWagg... 2012/06/20 04:36:16
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I've read that lots of young people want to go to college here to learn skills they can take back to their original countries to help there, not here.
  • jubil8 ... LesWagg... 2012/06/20 04:34:45
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    If English is their primary language, how come we have bilingual signs and phone messages ("Por espanol opprimo dos" or something)?

If they've been in the military, especially overseas, that's worth the price of admission imo. Fast track THOSE for citizenship.

It seems to me that if they're Americans in their hearts and minds they wouldn't object to becoming legal using the procedures that already exist. I wouldn't, would you?
  • Jensenmk LesWagg... 2012/07/07 16:39:46
    Jensenmk
    I'll tell you that many, not only can't speak English, won't speak it; they prefer their NATIVE tongue. Just like many refuse to adopt and assimilate into our culture; choosing instead to force the rest of us to accept theirs.
  • LesWagg... Jensenmk 2012/07/08 19:33:41
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    Having lived among the Hispanics, both legal and illegal, for 19 years I find your comments to be totally untrue.
  • Jensenmk LesWagg... 2012/07/09 04:26:48 (edited)
    Jensenmk
    Totally untrue?!? Seriously?!? Whose painting with too broad a brush here?

Please explain why I am inendated with dual language signs and why I have to endure the spanish option on every customer service phone call I make if they all come here to embrace our culture, and by default, learn our language?

I've lived in the south (Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia) for a lot of my adult life; and it is a problem whether you choose to believe it or not.
  • LesWagg... Jensenmk 2012/07/10 06:27:51
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    I lived in the Los Angeles area which is over 48% Hispanic and seldom encountered such an issue.
  • Jensenmk LesWagg... 2012/07/10 06:34:50
    Jensenmk
    Okay, we've had different experiences with their acceptance/use of English; I suppose we should agree to disagree.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/06/16 22:39:38
    Yes.
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    Send them back with their parents.
  • pbunny 2012/06/16 22:34:22
    No.
    pbunny
    +3
    I don't know of any prisons for children. The idea was put out there to ignite hysteria and look, here it is.
  • Charles E pbunny 2012/06/18 01:49:33
    Charles E
    +2
    Roger47 knows that the truth will get little support here so he invents a situation where people who don't read the whole question will support his loony position.
  • pbunny Charles E 2012/06/19 00:21:47
    pbunny
    +2
    He got that idea from the president.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/06/16 22:15:20
    No.
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    Of course not. And... why not give them legal work permits, then they are paying taxes and resources are not being wasted trying to deport them.
  • Angelatxpatriot 2012/06/16 22:12:57
    No.
    Angelatxpatriot
    +2
    No, we should send them back home with their parents.
  • Marianne 2012/06/16 21:58:05
    No.
    Marianne
    Why should children pay for their parents' crimes? I think that President Obama is right to apply human solutions.
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/16 21:47:47
    No.
    ehrhornp
    this country needs to stop looking for scapegoats and instead do what is right and necessary to get this country moving.
  • redhorse29 2012/06/16 21:24:45
    No.
    redhorse29
    +1
    No. Silly and potentially insensitive question.
  • jubil8 ... redhorse29 2012/06/17 01:48:17
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Out of curiosity, how can something be "potentially insensitive?" Isn't it either ok or not as written?
  • dave b 2012/06/16 21:01:51
    No.
    dave b
    +2
    But, something has to be done! Everyday we get more and more illegals and their illegal children invading America....and the Libs wont do anything except to demonize anyone who wants something done about it.
    Those Libs are just as bad as our illegal invaders. Neither has any respect for the USA.
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/06/16 20:44:07
    No.
    JERSEYDUDE
    no... deport them the hell outta here with their Parents who are barely criminal.....i dont consider illegal aliens criminals....theres more fkin criminals sitting 300 feet away from my house at the police station and theyre all wearing badges
  • Snow White's Poison 2012/06/16 20:33:34
    No.
    Snow White's Poison
    +1
    They did nothing, it was their parents.
  • Mamaknows 2012/06/16 20:30:37
    Yes.
    Mamaknows
    +4
    If their parents came here...bringing them here ILLEGALY they should be sent back with their parents.
    People are acting like we have all the money in the world to feed, house,ect to all that step accross the boarder look at the states that have the highest population of ILLEGAL immagrints you will see state after state that is BROKE. I am in Cali and see it all the time feel it in my bank account.
    I take my daughter to the ER I am there for 7-8 hours and pay HUGE amounts of money to help cover all the costs of people that come here illegaly.
    I looked at public school for my kids but the classes are 30-40 students per teacher because the schools are closing for lack of money forcing other schools to the limit(sometimes over) with illegal imagrints and their kids.
    My friend lives in San Diego and can not send her 10yo and 13 yo to school because the school is overflowing with illegals, their kids, and the gangs/cartels. Her 10yo son went through the metal detector, sat on the floor in math class, was beaten in the shower by other 10-11yos, and mugged in the hall way by three 10-13yo mexican girls! On his first day. Then it happened AGAIN his second day.
    Let alone the mexican cartels that bring over illegals to grow pot in the moutains trashing entire swathes of land and stream...

Let alone the mexican cartels that bring over illegals to grow pot in the moutains trashing entire swathes of land and streams in the process. Posining the soil and streams with fertilizer and other toxic crap, trashing the area with their camp trash and garbage....the area is trashed/toxic for years after all for pot growth. Think about that the next time you and your enviormental buddies light up YOU are supporting the mexican cartel that is violating large pieces of lovely moutains.

They are people....but we should take better care of our own citizens FIRST.

2014/11/23 08:50:37