Should we increase the distance a sex offender can live near a park or school? In florida it is 1000 feet...

Florida Keys 2007/11/20 16:32:14
Too many sex offenders close by make them move
It is ok they just watch the kids
it is unconstituional
SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman using a new Florida Department of Law Enforcement mapping source found 43 sex offenders and predators living within a two-mile radius of her children's elementary school.
-------------------------------------------------------------...
SURVEY: What Do You Think?
Janese Evans, whose children attend Hamilton Elementary School in Seminole County, said she was shocked to find so many sex offenders living near the school.

"I don't think they have the first clue as to how many (sex offenders) are within walking distances of the schools," resident Janese Evans said. "My kid's safety is my No. 1 concern. I don't want to have to go to work and wonder if my kids made it to school or not."

Local 6 reported that Evans is going public because she lives less than two miles from the school and a path to campus passes by the home of a registered sex offender.

"It totally surprised me," Evans said. "I know that they can't live within a certain distance from school."

Under Florida law, a sexual predator or offender may not live within 1,000 feet from any school, day care, park or playground. However, anything beyond 1,000 feet is legal.

Children are well within the front door of offenders and predators as they walk to school, Local 6's Mike Holfeld reported.

The latest Florida Department of Law Enforcement map source shows 26 offenders and one predator within walking distance of Bear Lake Elementary School.

Local 6 showed video of a sheriff's deputy doing a routine check of a sex offender in Central Florida who lives less than 2 miles from Bear Lake.

School leaders in Seminole County acknowledged the risk, Holfeld reported.

Officials said they want transportation for any student walking in the path of a predator.

Florida Rep. Sandy Adams said elementary and middle school children in every county in Central Florida are facing the same potential risk.

"I'm concerned that our children's safety is at risk," Adams said. "I think a lot of people don't realize who is living in their neighborhoods."

FDLE Launches Mapping System

Meanwhile, Local 6 conducted a random check of elementary and middle schools across Central Florida and found many sex offenders live less than a mile from the schools.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement offers a new mapping system to locate sex offenders and predators living around schools.

The map puts the location of sex offenders in blue, predators in red and multiple offenders in purple.

Adams wrote the blueprint for legislation that would designate those walks to school as "hazardous" and calls for busing.

Some said additional busing would be too expensive.

"That statement bothers me that it costs too much to protect our children," Adams said. "I don't believe that for one moment."

Adams introduced the bill last session and it was blocked, Holfeld reported.

Adams said she is not giving up.

• GEMINII : queen of hope 2007/11/20 17:00:08
    GEMINII : queen of hope
    +5
    make them move farther away! or wear some kind of devise that goes off when near a place with kids? dont know how they'd make one put im sure someone could come up with something or just fry thier A**

+1
    357 between the eyes solves all thise questions
  • Florida... jackola... 2009/06/02 08:45:00
    Florida Keys
    I agree. Saves tax payers money too!
  • E-Rog 2009/05/07 08:04:11
    E-Rog
    +1
    Once someone commits an awful crime such as this, the offender should have their rights relinquished when it comes to the area of in which they decide to reside in, it should be left to the residents in the area to decide, some may call that unfair, but there is no justification for their offense... therfore let them find elsewhere to live.
  • mrp92a 2009/04/08 02:05:22
    mrp92a
    +1
    no sex offender should be on the streets
  • corrinne 2008/12/07 00:40:12
    corrinne
    +1
    Sex offenders, in my personal opinion, are slimebags who don't even deserve to live. Let alone live close to the very innocents they harass. Sex offenders should be desexed: painfully and violently.
  • Irish 2008/08/15 01:43:03
    Irish
    +1
    Maybe there is a good planet or two out in space we could send them to.
    They will have their freedom.......but no children. Women offenders on one and male offenders on another.
  • fireware0062 2008/07/18 23:50:28
    fireware0062
    +1
    is the state of florida on drugs? a 1000 feet! WTF!
  • Roxie 2008/07/10 06:00:47
    Roxie
    +1
    Move them to planet "X". away from all of us! planet
    +1
    we have several here in Pawtucket very close to our schools and day care
  • patblue1947 2008/07/02 18:08:30
    It is ok they just watch the kids
    patblue1947
    +1
    Not all sex offenders are violent nor are they all pedophiles.
  • Florida... patblue... 2008/07/02 23:35:43
    Florida Keys
    +1
    I agree, but they do pose a hazard to kids, violence can be mental as well as physical
  • Sister ... patblue... 2008/07/02 23:38:59
    +1
    and???????????
  • concerned 2008/05/12 17:29:23
    concerned
    +1
    but I do know parents need to pay more attention to their childern and stop thinking that everyone likes her child or will do it for you
  • TxAggie93 2008/05/12 17:26:44
    TxAggie93
    +2
    we should increase the distance...perhaps, the distance between six feet under and a school might be more appropriate. Or even better, the distance between the bowels of Hell and schools works really well for me.
  • MadHatter TxAggie93 2008/06/09 03:07:10
  • captv8me 2008/05/01 17:56:32
    captv8me
    +1
    It might be one small way to help, but considering the majority of sexual abuse happens in the home between relatives and friends, there are probably bigger fish to fry...as to "how" that is done..??????
  • MadHatter captv8me 2008/06/09 03:07:52
  • patchesm27 2008/04/06 14:25:46
    patchesm27
    +1
    I say we just lock the perverts up forever, then we don't have to worry about it!
  • Ellie 2008/04/05 07:04:08
    Ellie
    +1
    You know what? The ones you know about are the safest. They are the registered ones. Think about it.
  • angie ~ MCCAIN / PALIN 08 2008/03/21 17:17:56
  • BIGFOOT 2008/02/27 11:57:36
    BIGFOOT
    +1
    They think that bussing is too expensive? How expensive is the law suit going to be if one of these children get harmed by a sex offender along there path to school. The law is toooo vague as far as the proximaty of offenders to school. There should be a lay out showing the path these children take. When a offender is soon to be released, the areas around the school and the path should be off limits. The offender should not be allowed to get a place were a potential attack could happen. It may never happen, I pray, but all it takes is one offender doing something and all hell will break loose . My boys are take to and picked up from school. All of us in my community now who and where the offenders live. Most just go ot work and then home. Checking in and out of there homes with there registration office. They do this to cover themselves so no one will be harmed. They don't go to school sporting events and stay away from functions that involve kids. So there life is pretty much solitary. Thats how it should be. They gave up there rights when they STOLE the innocence from the children. I have NO pity.
  • I'm Left, You're Wrong 2008/02/24 14:59:57
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +1
    ...just group all the Republican Congressmen into one neighborhod so we can keep an eye on them...
  • gorgeous.tragedy 2008/02/23 18:15:29
    gorgeous.tragedy
    +1
    I have no sympathy for any person of this kind... so make em' move!
  • Tokingnome 2008/02/07 07:24:22
    Tokingnome
    +1
    i think the sick bastards should have a sign, in their front yard, 5 feet by 3 feet that states they are a child sex predator, they should also have special licenses on their vehicles, and if it werent for the nazi's, i would want them to have designated wrist bands as well.
  • gorgeou... Tokingnome 2008/02/23 18:18:37
    gorgeous.tragedy
    +1
    Tattoo their foreheads?

Something like this?
    Forehead tattoo

(joking)
  • Florida... gorgeou... 2008/02/23 21:56:22
    Florida Keys
    You might have an idea.......
  • DrTim 2008/01/31 05:15:40
    DrTim
    +2
    Just move 'em all to Iran that'll solve the whole problem!!
  • got$tk4u 2007/11/27 18:33:19
    got$tk4u
    +1
    to a deserted island out in the middle of the big blue sea........
  • Tokingnome got$tk4u 2008/02/07 07:25:35
    Tokingnome
    +1
    nah... they would have to much fun with themselves then...
  • got$tk4u Tokingnome 2008/02/07 20:10:06
    got$tk4u
    +1
    Have you seen what Alcatraz looks like? I'm thinking more along the line of that type of place rather than Hawaii.....Ha! Ha!
  • NICKI70 2007/11/26 05:18:19
    NICKI70
    +2
    I did read below on this poll and I do agree that some are truly not sex offenders....I E a 18 year old boy had sex with a 16 year old parents dont like him he is a sex offender
  • Florida... NICKI70 2007/11/26 20:55:51
    Florida Keys
    +1
    You sre truly right. I think the age should be lowered..
  • GDG*SEX CAKE* 2007/11/25 18:01:40
    GDG*SEX CAKE*
    +1
    put them all out on an Island and blow it up...the sick F*^KS!! No tolerance and Unconstitutional??? Where was it constitutional for them to touch a child and and destroy their psyche?? Screw their rights they should not have any!! the sick a$$es!!
  • sherrie 2007/11/25 10:17:56
    sherrie
    +1
    sick a** creeps. put them back in jail.they need to be raped and touched when they dont want it!!!!
  • Boz01 2007/11/23 21:47:56
    it is unconstituional
    Boz01
    I can't agree with making anyone live anywhere. Next step to that would be camps that we can put them in. They made a decision which was morally and legally wrong but we have set punishments for what they did and if they served their time they should be left alone. If they do it again then the punishment will be more severe, thats how the system works. When every day citizens start taking things into their own hand then things get retarded
  • Em 2007/11/22 08:10:42
    It is ok they just watch the kids
    Em
    As long as you keep an eye on your kids nothing will probably go wrong
  • AmberlynMonroe 2007/11/22 06:12:11
    AmberlynMonroe
    +1
    they all should get castrated
    and die a painful horrible death.
    the end.
  • Stephanie K 2007/11/21 18:27:23
    Stephanie K
    +2
    put them on their own island.
  • Amberly... Stephan... 2007/11/22 06:12:51
    AmberlynMonroe
    +2
    haha they will end up raping each other.
  • ang 2007/11/21 16:58:39
    ang
    http://www.macon.com/220/stor... and here is what is going on in GA.

2014/04/23 17:52:30