Should we be forced to be bilingual in our own country?

ACEDMagazine 2008/03/18 16:30:26
So many job descriptions of late require applicants to speak Spanish and English. The last time I checked this was America, and America is an English-speaking country. Why is it we have to know Spanish to write for an English-speaking publication? To work at any local business that does not deal directly with Spanish-speaking countries? Even an office assistant in a doctor's office is required to speak both languages... They even tried to make Spanish the primary language in some South Florida schools. I am sure there are other similar circumstances in other parts of the country as well.

It is my opinion, if people come here they need to learn to speak English. We did not go to their country they came to ours. And if we had moved to their country, then we should learn their language. I don't think it is right to "require" people to know Spanish or any other language for a job in the US that does not directly deal with other countries.

• willienye 2008/03/19 14:03:04 (edited)
    No! We speak English in the States thanks.
    willienye
    +7
    While it is nice to know more than one language, making it a requirement for employment in the USA is unacceptable. If people want to retain their own language when they immigrate to the USA, that's fine but they must learn English if they plan on staying here.

My wife and her family immigrated to the USA many years ago and she is not only fluent in English, but also Italian and Spanish as well. When people come up to her speaking Spanish, she ignores them and finds that most of them CAN actually speak English when they have to. This just reinforces my theory that these people just want us to convert to their language instead of them learning ours.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you immigrate to another country, you are declaring your desire to become a citizen of that country. As such, it is YOUR responsibility to learn the language of that country and to assimilate to the culture. If you don't feel that you want to, for what ever reason, then you can move right back to wherever you came from and retain your own culture and language. If a person moves to Canada, they are required to learn both English AND French since those are the official languages of Canada. If you want to immigrate to Italy, you learn Italian, France-French, Germany-German, so why has it beco...''

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you immigrate to another country, you are declaring your desire to become a citizen of that country. As such, it is YOUR responsibility to learn the language of that country and to assimilate to the culture. If you don't feel that you want to, for what ever reason, then you can move right back to wherever you came from and retain your own culture and language. If a person moves to Canada, they are required to learn both English AND French since those are the official languages of Canada. If you want to immigrate to Italy, you learn Italian, France-French, Germany-German, so why has it become OPTIONAL to learn English when people immigrate, legally or illegally, to The United States of America? It's time we take our country back from the invaders that refuse to respect our culture, diversity and language. We didn't move to their country, they came to ours so, why then must we learn THEIR language to retain employment in OUR country?

• kelly.e.nelson.5 2014/06/23 13:29:03
    kelly.e.nelson.5
    Hell NO.....English is what Americans speak
  • Billy the kid 2014/05/24 20:23:46
    Billy the kid
    Many people struggle to speak their own language adequately. To force them to try to learn another one just wouldn't work...lol
  • NYCbrit 2014/05/24 08:54:53
    NYCbrit
  • Aidan 2014/05/24 03:47:11
    Aidan
    No, we shouldn't be required to be bilingual. However it is always good to know another language. Why not learn all we can?
  • Bilingual required sucks 2014/05/24 00:10:50
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    I think my screen name says it all.
  • perks-a real PATRIOT 2014/05/23 22:49:14 (edited)
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    +1
    F^^K SPANISH!! Learn English or get the F^^K out!!
  • j2 2014/05/23 21:44:13
    j2
    You're not forced to be bilingual. However you might have more employment opportunities if the potential employer caters to those who speak something other than English. If you don't want to learn Spanish, you might consider Mandarin for example.

employment opportunities potential employer caters speak english learn spanish mandarin
  • frank 2014/05/23 21:36:22
    frank
    +1
    I would like to see a law passed that would make English our official langue.
  • NYCbrit frank 2014/05/24 08:55:49
    NYCbrit
    It's LONG overdue.
  • LEN 2014/05/23 21:12:46
    LEN
    No.
  • Judge Dredd 2014/05/23 20:58:15
    Judge Dredd
    +1
    it would be nice for the American people to learn a second verbage but we need to keep English.
  • NYCbrit Judge D... 2014/05/24 08:56:40
    NYCbrit
    +1
    Agreed, it's good to have a second language. But not all of us want it to be Spanish.
  • Judge D... NYCbrit 2014/05/24 15:30:53 (edited)
    Judge Dredd
    +1
    I would rather learn Korean and I am.
  • NYCbrit Judge D... 2014/05/25 04:09:22
    NYCbrit
    Right. I'd rather learn German.
  • Judge D... NYCbrit 2014/05/26 18:44:31
    Judge Dredd
    ich spreche Deutsch and English.
  • TXGirl 2014/05/23 20:55:35
    TXGirl
    I am not undecided at all and if you had had just a simple yes or no above I would have answered no. No one should be forced to learn another language. No one IS being forced either. Many jobs require it but not ALL jobs do so. In fact, most companies have bilingual staff in place for those calls made by customers/clients that do not speak English. This is an exaggeration (your question, that is) - many people come here from other countries (not solely Spanish speaking countries) and their money is as good as any one else's. Business is business. They are there to make money. I have shopped in France and in Mexico. I was able to communicate well enough to get by in Mexico but I really appreciated the translator in France. Why get all worked up over business policies. There are more important employee abuses happening everywhere - WAY more important than whether a company is seeking bilingual people to fill positions.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2014/05/23 20:54:14
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +1
    Let them learn,only if they are legal,like our Grandfathers & Grandmothers had to. Also they had to have a job place to live,and to be healthy,or they were sent back.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2014/05/23 20:42:47
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I'm all in favor of declaring English as our national language, and I agree that immigrants should learn English. But... what a private company does is its own business.

I agree that a specific language shouldn't be "required" here, but in general I think children should learn a language early in their education because that's when it's easiest, and knowing another language is a plus. I met a bag lady in a public washroom in Salzburg, Austria who spoke 7 languages, including English.

Face it, the narrow-minded insularity that too many people here in the States consider "normal" is NOT something to encourage or be proud of.
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2014/05/23 20:36:42
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2014/05/23 19:48:12
    Lerro DeHazel
    I just got a blister on my lip from eating a Burrito that was heated too hot in the Microwave . . . I am not one to be answering a Question like that . . .
  • featherwood 2014/05/23 19:46:10
    featherwood
    Denying employment because of the lack of Spanish as a second language is discrimination. Go to Mexico and they don't cater to English speaking Americans.
  • Lilith/Madussa 2014/05/23 19:42:16
    Lilith/Madussa
    LOL!
  • Jack 2014/05/23 19:42:07
    Jack
    +2
    No other country on Earth does as much as kissing for people who do not speak the native language of their country as the US does.
    +1
    No and, quite frankly, we too, as most of the rest of the world, should declare a national language.
  • NYCbrit Jackie ... 2014/05/24 08:57:48
    NYCbrit
    +1
    This is LONG overdue.
  • Simpattyco 2014/05/23 19:40:47
    Simpattyco
    why is it necessary? its our country come here learn English . I speak some french and enough Spanish to get by . i don't object to learning but i object to more languages i thi k it keeps people too apart
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2014/05/23 19:09:35
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Business owners are making decisions designed to help them generate profits. If you don't want business owners to have the freedom to require their applicants to be bilingual, then maybe you should move to a more restrictive and regulated country.
  • Nekosite 2014/05/23 18:55:25
    Nekosite
    Lol, nice loaded answers you have here.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2014/05/23 18:52:21
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    Have you been to other countries?

Have you ever ONCE left this country?

We don't have a national language, but even in countries that do, in major cities many often need to know how to speak english, french, spanish, and other languages just to communicate with not only tourists, but businesspeople from everywhere.

And that is in countries that HAVE national languages.

The fact that you complain about this just makes me shake my head. The rest of the world is laughing at us for silly complaints like this one.

1st world problems?
  • Dweezle 2014/05/23 18:33:50
    Dweezle
    +1
    so many companies hire cheap mexican help, but discover they cannot understand what you tell them.
    Once I did a job for a contractor, they were supposed to provide a laborer but all they provided was a wet back from home depot. I was digging trenches, and needed him to use a shovel to expose pipes so I did not damage them the guy leaned on the shovel for 2 hours when I gave him instructions he said, "No Habla English" I had the bi lingual superintendent explain his job, he still leaned on the shovel. I had the superintendent tell him he was not hired, but the guy sure knew how to ask to be paid cash. Needless to say he was paid zero, as he was never hired. The super said the guy was threatening to sue. All I had to say was "La Migra" and he was gone. La Migra=ICE
  • me 2014/05/23 17:30:25
    me
    +2
    I'm not undecided at all but the other choices were so slanted and whineyass I couldn't choose either one. You are not "forced" to speak Spanish in the U.S. If you feel "forced" to speak Spanish in the U.S., go to another country where they already speak Spanish and don't give a damn whether you do or not and see how you like that.

Second, all of the jobs you mention are ....guess what????? Private sector jobs. So if you don't like it that a doctor's office won't hire you because you don't speak Spanish or a fast food restaurant, or an "English speaking publication" won't hire you, you REALLY need to get over yourself. What part of "this country is a capitalist country and business owners decide for themselves what attributes they want in an employee for a specific job" are you unable to understand in ENGLISH?

What do you want? You want the government to pass a law that says that businesses may only hire people who can't speak any other languages but English so that you'll be the only possible choice?
  • Q 2014/05/23 17:05:47 (edited)
    Q
    +1
    I don't think I've EVER seen a want ad requiring that someone be bilingual, (At least where I live in the Mid-West) only that doing so would be helpful, that they preferred someone bilingual....but never as a requirement.

But with that being said I feel that immigrants should learn English in order to better assimilate into American society...especially if they intend to drive.
  • connie (in name only) BN-0 2014/05/23 16:54:27
    connie (in name only) BN-0
    +1
    Forced? As far as I know, this is a business/employment issue. If your employer requires another language, then this is not about anyone "forcing" you to become bilingual. If you don't want to learn another language, then find a job that does not require it. Also, I believe colleges want students to have 2 years of foreign language. Whether you obtain that skill in high school or college, does not matter. This makes you more employable. Once again, this is what some employers might require for a certain job position.
  • CielPhantomhive.BN-0 2014/05/23 16:18:12
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    +1
    You're not forced. Don't apply for the job. Let someone with better qualification have it. It's honestly not that hard to learn more than one language.
  • Jesterz 2014/05/23 16:03:42 (edited)
    Jesterz
    +2
    No one is forced... You don't want to learn? Fine dont, but don't whine about not having the job...

If bilingualism is what is required by the employer, you learn or you find another employer, simple...

No one owes you anything...
  • feather... Jesterz 2014/05/23 19:53:10 (edited)
    featherwood
    When I was hired by my current employer, Spanish was not a requirement for employment. Slowly they gathered a list of employees who spoke Spanish and started using them to translate for them. I refused because they did NOT pay me bilingual wages. Now, no one is allowed to translate and must now use a translation service to avoid, you guessed it lawsuits. And that goes for ALL foreign languages. The reason why I refused is because it caused my specific duties to fall behind and I would be written up. So, they gathered a list and asked employees to translate, then wrote them up when their duties suffered. It didn't take long for people to catch on. I simply said I don't speak Spanish and never placed my name on the list in the first place.
  • Owen 2014/05/23 15:30:28
    Owen
    +3
    I've heard the joke in more than one country.

"If you speak three languages you are tri-lingual, two languages is bi-lingual and if you only speak one you're American."

If an employer feels that you need to have a certain skill set then that's what they want. It blows my mind how often I hear my fellow Americans are up in arms simply because they can't be bothered to learn a thing. Too many morons here.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2014/05/23 15:07:44
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Free market. Employers need people to fill jobs, they need certain skills, education, and experience.
  • morris44 2014/05/23 14:41:54
    morris44
    +3
    Seems like a market issue to me. If employers are seeking bilingual staff they believe it will help their business.

I think it is ok for businesses to require whatever they want.

I don't think the government should require anyone to speak any specific language.

Those complaining about being discriminated against for not speaking spanish remind me of those who complained about not being hired because they didn't have required computer skills in the past.
  • Death On Two Legs 2014/05/23 14:35:22

2014/09/18 13:46:39