Should we be forced to be bilingual in our own country?

ACEDMagazine 2008/03/18 16:30:26
So many job descriptions of late require applicants to speak Spanish and English. The last time I checked this was America, and America is an English-speaking country. Why is it we have to know Spanish to write for an English-speaking publication? To work at any local business that does not deal directly with Spanish-speaking countries? Even an office assistant in a doctor's office is required to speak both languages... They even tried to make Spanish the primary language in some South Florida schools. I am sure there are other similar circumstances in other parts of the country as well.

It is my opinion, if people come here they need to learn to speak English. We did not go to their country they came to ours. And if we had moved to their country, then we should learn their language. I don't think it is right to "require" people to know Spanish or any other language for a job in the US that does not directly deal with other countries.

• willienye 2008/03/19 14:03:04 (edited)
    No! We speak English in the States thanks.
    willienye
    +6
    While it is nice to know more than one language, making it a requirement for employment in the USA is unacceptable. If people want to retain their own language when they immigrate to the USA, that's fine but they must learn English if they plan on staying here.

My wife and her family immigrated to the USA many years ago and she is not only fluent in English, but also Italian and Spanish as well. When people come up to her speaking Spanish, she ignores them and finds that most of them CAN actually speak English when they have to. This just reinforces my theory that these people just want us to convert to their language instead of them learning ours.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you immigrate to another country, you are declaring your desire to become a citizen of that country. As such, it is YOUR responsibility to learn the language of that country and to assimilate to the culture. If you don't feel that you want to, for what ever reason, then you can move right back to wherever you came from and retain your own culture and language. If a person moves to Canada, they are required to learn both English AND French since those are the official languages of Canada. If you want to immigrate to Italy, you learn Italian, France-French, Germany-German, so why has it beco...''

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you immigrate to another country, you are declaring your desire to become a citizen of that country. As such, it is YOUR responsibility to learn the language of that country and to assimilate to the culture. If you don't feel that you want to, for what ever reason, then you can move right back to wherever you came from and retain your own culture and language. If a person moves to Canada, they are required to learn both English AND French since those are the official languages of Canada. If you want to immigrate to Italy, you learn Italian, France-French, Germany-German, so why has it become OPTIONAL to learn English when people immigrate, legally or illegally, to The United States of America? It's time we take our country back from the invaders that refuse to respect our culture, diversity and language. We didn't move to their country, they came to ours so, why then must we learn THEIR language to retain employment in OUR country?

• Jane 2013/06/10 10:45:27
    Jane
    I know that its basically all about money but where does it stop? This country is a melting pot of cultures and more is being thrown in everyday. There are lots of Spanish speaking people in this country and only one language but there are also lots of Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Indian, to name a few), and there are also lots of Muslims as well; so should we all start learning Arabic? Khmer? Vietnamese? Hindi? No. There should be a national language and English should be it. In the case of for profit companies, get your money how you can. I understand; but, for every Spanish speaking person you woo with your rolled r's, there is always going to be some American who wants a good old drawl with some southern hospitality mixed in.

But what gets me the most is that I'm a teacher and my own place of employment started to hire bilinguals only and it angered me. Yes angered. I know four languages, including Spanish and I am still baffled that non-English speaking mothers come into my classroom and expect me to speak Spanish to them. I refuse! They are raising children in America, living here, and becoming apart of our society so their WHOLE family needs to learn to speak English. If you want to speak solely Spanish in your home then go for it. But when you co...

But what gets me the most is that I'm a teacher and my own place of employment started to hire bilinguals only and it angered me. Yes angered. I know four languages, including Spanish and I am still baffled that non-English speaking mothers come into my classroom and expect me to speak Spanish to them. I refuse! They are raising children in America, living here, and becoming apart of our society so their WHOLE family needs to learn to speak English. If you want to speak solely Spanish in your home then go for it. But when you come into my classroom you speak to me in English. I teach your child in English or I teach them in AMERICAN sign language. Choose your pick, either way its all American.

Furthermore, how dare America chastise ITS citizens for something many of them could not control. Our country does not have national curriculum nor does it have the same standards or policies in between districts. Within the law, each district is allowed to do as they please. So the little boy who went to P.S. 131 where they opted to offer social justice classes rather than Spanish, now gets punished 5 years down the line because he was lucky enough to be raised in a district that could opt for both social justice and Spanish class. Its a punishment to people who had no control. Yes you can go and learn from later a book later on but how difficult is that as an adult? To learn a new language at 40, without actually living in a new country, is similar to having your brain transported to a new body. Its weird and its going to take years to get use to. When you go to other countries and you butcher their language or try to speak to them solely in English they look at you like an alien. Maybe we should take a lesson.
  • wethepeople 2013/05/24 17:15:42
    wethepeople
    i was laid off after over 15 years and have been unsuccessful in finding a job for the reason i am not bilingual. this is total discrimination to me.
  • S. Meta 2013/04/19 21:49:05
    S. Meta
    Well no one is being forced, but you have to remember just what kind of culture exists in the US... Specifically the interest in making money. That capitalism here in the states tends to want money more than it wants pragmatism. Who cares if it's faulty as long as there's a profit, we'll bend over backwards to get your cash... we'll speak your language and promise you almost anything. The corporate entities that run almost every aspect of life in this country don't care if you should or shouldn't learn a language in your own country. if you won't they'll find someone who will, for as little money as they can.
    Not that a lot of even lower wage jobs don't offer their bilingual employees really any extra money for being able to... so don't pretend it's cultural or even unreasonable...
    It's all about the dollars and increasing the pool of people to market to.
  • Silas Jones 2012/09/15 19:46:20
    Silas Jones
    +1
    I'm an ex-Marine and I have a college degree but I can't get a job selling shoes at my local mall because I can't speak spanish. I can't stand this anymore, if a large amount of Chinese people moved to Spain, would they start to require Spanish citizens to learn Chinese? I seriously doubt it. America needs to stop having so many self inflicted wounds.
  • Vylette Falona 2012/07/20 10:23:22
  • nilboGtheGoblin 2012/05/30 05:27:54
    nilboGtheGoblin
    Normally, I didn't mind back in 2008 when I seen this on the job requirements. But after that year, it just started looking really bad. It's to the point down here in Miami where the employees that apply for the bilingual positions don't even know 5 percent of English.
  • Joel Fernandez 2011/12/08 20:43:49
    Joel Fernandez
    Bigoted poll choices are, bigoted.
  • Sick and tired 2011/11/09 19:10:59
    Sick and tired
    I have been unemployed for almost three years now, the ratio of jobs available state bilingual and it is not just a plus it's a requirement. The problem with our president and other American politicians is that they only care abut what is going to get them the vote. I am tired of everything being given to the immigrants whether legal or illegal. Who is going to stand up for the Americans that were born and raised here and worked hard all their lives? Our country has suffered enough due to our own negligence and ignorance that a president we vote for will have the common sense to stick up for Americans. We need to stop catering to those who aren't American. We need to focus on those that live here and start learning to produce our own goods in America. It's time to take our country back.
  • bandit 2011/10/20 22:22:41
    bandit
    +2
    I am a warehouse Manager in the Midwest... we have been completely over run buy illegal aliens that have depressed the wages in this field and now it’s hard for Americans to get jobs as a forklift driver or a production worker because we have to be bilingual.... I wouldn’t have a problem with this if its applied across the board, if I must be bilingual then the Mexican illegal immigrant should be required to be bilingual as well.
  • Donnie Juan 2011/10/17 17:12:00
    Yes! We should cater to people speaking other languages, even if it means not...
    Donnie Juan
    THE REALITY IS THAT WHATEVER MAKES DOLLARS MAKES SENSE. YOU GUYS THINK THAT THESE FOR PROFIT COMPANIES ARE GOING TO STOP MAKING MONEY FROM EVERY FOREIGNER JUST TO HIRE STRICTLY ENGLISH SPEAKING EMPLOYEES? THAT IS RIDICULOUS!! THE REASON BILINGUAL EMPLOYEES ARE IN SUCH HIGH DEMAND IS BECAUSE THESE COMPANIES ARE RAKING IN BIG BUCKS FROM FOREIGNERS NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS MORE FOREIGNERS THEN THE USA THINK ABOUT IT ...IF YOU DONT LIKE IT WELL THEN LEARN SPANISH I KNOW MANY PPL WHO ARENT NATIVE SPEAKERS BUT STILL TOOK THE TIME TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE....STOP BEING LAZY AND COMPLAINING...FINDING A JOB IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU MARKET YOURSELF SO LEARN SPANISH PUT IT ON YOUR RESUME AND YOU MAY HAVE A BETTER CHANCE!
  • anasa d... Donnie ... 2013/02/12 20:20:17
  • wethepe... Donnie ... 2013/05/24 17:17:28
    wethepeople
    +2
    it's not free to learn spanish. if you don't have the money to pay for it then we are all screwed
  • Jane wethepe... 2013/06/10 10:48:14
    Jane
    +2
    Rarely do they think about how to pay for these beautiful languages classes when you are laid off and can't find a job.
  • wethepe... Donnie ... 2013/10/04 12:49:48
    wethepeople
    it's people like you that hurting the u.s.
  • SCREWYOURMOMA 2011/10/11 17:28:01
  • mtnmedic 2011/07/18 17:18:55
    mtnmedic
    +2
    The U.S. is the ONLY industrialised nation in the world that I know of which does NOT mandate a primary language. Why that is, I'm not sure but it needs to change. If I, or any one of my family members or friends born here in the U.S., decided to move to France, Italy, Mexico, Russia, Spain, Germany or China, etc. to live and work, we'd be LAUGHED AT for attempting to assume that they'd have to accomodate us because we speak anything BUT their primary language. This is pretty much commonplace and common knowledge across the world. Why is it that immigrants who come to the U.S. feel like we must accomodate them? It's because our laws don't mandate English as the primary language. However, many immigrants DO make the effort to learn English so that they can integrate in our society here. Those who willfully don't and still demand jobs that aren't specific to their language (such as translation positions) are nothing but selfish leeches and should forced to learn English or be deported. It's only fair, because that's EXACTLY what would happen anywhere else!
  • we dont live in mexico 2011/07/14 00:36:04
    we dont live in mexico
    +1
    Italians, French, Gemans, Norwegians, Asians, middle eastern Persians, Lebanese, Africans all bothered to learn to speak english because they knew this is America and they were not to lazy to learn english. There has to be a neutral language that we all understand and english was chosen a long time ago. If you want to speak Spanish then run back to Mexico or stay in Mexico. If Mexico was so great then why did all the mexican latins sneak across the border to America, when all you mexicans and latins knew that they speak english in America. If the USA becomes mexico then the US would be f**cked up just like mexico. Then where would all the mexican latins run too, after they turned the USA into Tijuana. The women drink taqila and have sex and popping mexican 3-5 babies before they are 28 paid for by taxpayers because the mexicans don't haver $15,000 to pay hospitals to deliver each baby. Make them pay for there own birhs and lets see if they stop popping babies they cannot afford without running to medicaid, WIC, Section8 , Foodstamp for help$.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/05/12 03:42:32
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    No!
  • Tina 2011/04/15 22:41:47
    Tina
    +2
    This is soo irritating to me!! of course if your an illegal immigrant your going to say yes..NO SCREW YOU GUYS..it's bad enough you come here illegally..not even legally!! and have a million kids..AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO GET MAD AT US WHEN WE CAN'T SPEAK SPANISH????...our economy is bad enough you guys come over here expecting government help for free..you want to better your lives well then learn our freaking language..i'm so tired of this
  • Becky Tina 2011/05/20 21:49:47
    Becky
    +1
    I think I will call my bill collectors and tell them in English that I cant pay my bills because I am not Bilingual. That makes about as much sense as having to be Bilingual to get a job in the US.
  • SCREWYO... Tina 2011/10/11 17:32:59
    SCREWYOURMOMA
    +4
    LITTLE COCKROACHES
  • Donnie ... Tina 2011/10/17 17:50:36
    Donnie Juan
    +2
    FIRST OFF, I AM NOT A ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT AND I AM SAYING YES, SECONDLY NOT EVERY SPANISH PERSON IN AMERICA HAS MADE IT HERE ILLEGALY THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED A VISA AND THAT IS A LEGAL WAY OF ENTERING THIS COUNTRY IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW, THIRD, AN IMMIGRANT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR BENEFITS OR FOODSTAMPS SO IDK WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT ONE...WHAT IRRITATES ME IS THAT PPL LIKE YOURSELF GO AROUND LOOKING FOR A SCAPEGOAT FOR YOUR PROBLEMS....DONT BE MAD AT US. THESE JOB POSTINGS SAY BOTH ENGLISH AND SPANISH SO WE DONT ONLY SPEAK SPANISH WE SPEAK BOTH! DUMMY!
  • Alex Donnie ... 2013/01/31 01:10:32 (edited)
    Alex
    +2
    I live in south Florida and I actually went for an interview that was for a bilingual person. In any other state I am considered bilingual but her in south Florida they say I don't speak it well enough even though I started learning Spanish at 6 years old and I am now almost 30. I can read it write it and speak it plus I went to university and I have experience as well. So why can't I get a bilingual job here in south Florida (Miami) when I am actually multilingual, with English, German, Spanish, Italian and French? Oh because the job I applied for was bilingual with Spanish and I am not Spanish. That's what it boils down to. Everything people are saying is true and Hispanic or Latinos only hire within because they are racist. I was better qualified for that position than anyone else but I'm not hispanic. So yes I think this is America and people should be required to speak English.
  • Jane Donnie ... 2013/06/10 10:58:11
    Jane
    +1
    I understand what you are saying but legal, illegal, work or student visa it doesn't matter. Lets assume that you are Spanish from Spain and where you live there are a lot of Chinese people. How would you feel if you were laid off from your job because you couldn't speak Chinese? Or couldn't get hired because you didn't speak Chinese? Wouldn't you be agitated? I could really care less what type of immigrant you are. This country was built on immigrants but the slaves, the Irish, the Italian, the Portuguese, the Chinese, the Japanese, etc. all learned English or made an effort to and they were immigrating to this country for a long time. We haven't mandated Chinese in cities and we shouldn't mandate Spanish either. I'm quadrilingual and was turned down from a job because I didn't know Spanish. Justify that. P.S.- depending on what state you live decides whether an immigrants will be eligible to get benefits.
  • wethepe... Donnie ... 2013/10/04 12:52:37
    wethepeople
    they may not be eligilble but they find ways to get them. there are a lot just in my neighborhood getting ssid and food stamps and everything they can their hands on. this is reality. every single job I apply for is filled by a mexican.
  • Susan Ann 2010/12/16 19:12:47
    Susan Ann
    +1
    No we should not be forced to be bilingual in our own country, but it's good to have the choice to learn a different language and be able to communicate better with people of different nationalities.
  • Janine Susan Ann 2011/05/26 22:30:46
    Janine
    +3
    Hello!!! I totally agree!! Just got turned down a job today!! Im a great candidate, but im not bilingual! Im soo Angry right now!! But I don't want to just talk about this, I want to do something about this!!! I do not want to talk about it and tolerate this!!! I just wrote emails to the white house and to the legislators, and to my senators!! I encourage all the Americans to do the same!!!! then we have to Protest!!! We must be heard!!! I am a Native and going to Fight for my Right!!
  • Alex Susan Ann 2013/01/31 16:53:29
    Alex
    +2
    Yes it's nice to be able to communicate better with people if other nationalities, but shouldn't the try to communicate with us as well. Why should we be doing all the communication when they came here? It's a two way street and they too should learn English as well.
  • Steve 2010/11/09 00:11:44
    Steve
    The success of the Cuban community in Miami is a direct result of the culture, and the heart of that culture is to take care of its own. That community is encapsulated and wherever possible, by all means available, they SPEND MONEY ONLY IN CUBAN BUSINESSES. In so doing they invest, and re-invest in their own community. The community as a whole becomes richer and more powerful, and the corporations notice this. Even though they know XYZ corporation is not Cuban owned, if they see Cubans there, they patronize that business, because they are well aware that it goes back to enrich their community. Corporations have only one language (MONEY) and could care less that people are being pushed out of the workforce. Cubans are well aware that language is their tool, it is SUGAR COATED RACISM, and they use it to filter out the members of the their community, so as to hire their own people, annd the cycle goes on.
  • Susan Ann Steve 2010/12/16 19:18:20
    Susan Ann
    +3
    But who's fault is that? Would it be ignorant people who refuse to integrate???
  • Alex Steve 2013/01/31 01:11:50
    Alex
    +1
    I completely agree with you. I live in south Florida as well and I am bilingual but I'm not their culture.
  • Grace 2010/07/24 19:43:33
    Grace
    +1
    Well I see both sides, i think they want you to learn spanish is because you might need it to talk to someone who doesnt know englis or for job purposes, but i also see that it doesnt make sense to learn spanish if were in America because were in the US.
  • Becky Grace 2011/05/20 21:25:06
    Becky
    Fence sitter, afraid to commit!
  • Bryan Q... Grace 2013/05/07 00:48:46
    Bryan Quach
    Nonsense! How many states are there that has English as the state language? How many people know Spanish? How many people DO NOT know Spanish and still has one or more college degrees? A lot more than Spanish speakers. You need to know English NOT Spanish to speak with someone who doesn't know English. If they don't know English, then a friend or family member can help out. Spanish? How about other people who DON'T know or speak Spanish? Like Korean, Chinese, Russians, Germans, ,etc...
  • Coleen 2010/07/21 18:29:50
    Coleen
    +2
    Why should I have to be bilingual to cut vegetables or sweep up? It's just one more way they discriminate. Once they are in charge of hiring they only hire their own. I've even heard them snicker as I left rejected "we don't hire old white ladies". Seriously?! But if we did that to them it would be discrimination. I just want to know what state or country I have to move to in order to get some minimum wage entry level job cuz California doesn't hire monolingual middle aged Americans any more. It isn't the jobs Americans won't do. It's the jobs they refuse to hire us for. Believe me I've applied for all of them. And "bilingual" is just how they sugar coat it.
  • JerryLWeedmanMessick 2010/07/20 15:50:19
    JerryLWeedmanMessick
    +4
    I am so SICK of seeing jobs I qualify for except that I don't speak Spanish. I live in Texas. I only moved here 5 years ago from Seattle but this wasn't an issue then. I am going to sell my house and move somewhere where I don't need to speak Spanish. I am fed UP
  • law JerryLW... 2011/06/01 21:44:57
    law
    +1
    ENGLISH ONLY IN ALL STATES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    Don't move to Miami!!! I have worked for the same company for nine years, now that the company has closed and I am looking for a job, all the job offers have the requirement ENGLISH/SPANISH. I am so fed up, I went to school and got certified and now there are no jobs for me because I don't speak Spanish and live in Cuba/America. It will never get better for Americans living in Miami until we move to some other state, our public electives (Congress and Representive) does not care for the American people, they allow this to take place in the state of Florida because these people can vote for them and put them in office, the only thing they care about is their own pocket. Shame on America, the President and all the Public Electives. I am fed up and none of you deserve my VOTE.
  • Donnie ... law 2011/10/17 17:56:18
    Donnie Juan
    +3
    DUDE YOU LIVED IN MIAMI NINE YEARS AND DIDNT PICK UP ANY SPANISH ?? I THINK THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT YOUR LEARNING ABILITIES....
  • anasa d... Donnie ... 2013/02/12 20:34:05
    anasa demby
    +2
    I lived in california all my life and dont know spanish. I would love to learn it as it is a beautiful language. Unfortunately, we aren't offered esl and other free programs to learn spanish.
  • anasa d... Donnie ... 2013/02/12 20:38:03
    anasa demby
    +2
    I lived in california all my life and dont know spanish. I would love to learn it as it is a beautiful language. Unfortunately, we aren't offered esl and other free programs to learn spanish like hispanics are with english. Additionally, it is easy for one to learn the native language of a country because it is constantly being spoken and written. Additionally, although some are considered bilingual they could learn to speak and wite a bit more professional in english.

2014/04/24 19:41:00