Should we ban guns in church?

Fef 2009/03/10 21:21:53
Guns don't belong in Church
Churchgoers deserve the right to carry guns
Churchgoers should get special permission to carry guns
After reading the stories about recent church violence, I understand the reason to ban guns in church. People go to church to pray and shouldn't have to worry about violence. Criminals don't follow the rules and could ignore gun bans. The churchgoers who subdued the attacker got stabbed. Maybe they could have shot the attacker and saved lives.

• The Beaver 2009/03/11 01:43:44
    The Beaver
    +6
    You have to protect yourself no matter where you happen to be.

• Brian Anya of... 2010/02/01 21:26:03
    Brian
    So much for putting your faith in God...put it in Smith and Wessen instead, lol.
  • i00wattz 2009/03/11 16:20:46
    Guns don't belong in Church
    i00wattz
    Who's "we?"
  • curmudgeonjohn 2009/03/11 16:10:14
    curmudgeonjohn
    AMEN!
  • mcFuzzy :) 2009/03/11 16:08:04
    mcFuzzy :)
    undecided

That is all I can say.
  • Gun665 2009/03/11 15:58:23
  • J 2009/03/11 15:48:07
    J
    Not crazy about your choice of answers, but I do believe that if more (sane and responsible) people carried, we would have less of these incidences. Those people who are in favor of "gun control" are really out of their minds. If you pass a law and tell people who aren't concerned about breaking the law, that they can't have guns all the while forcing law abiding people to give up their guns, who do you think would be in control before long?
  • Bill Marvin 2009/03/11 15:46:59
    Bill Marvin
    If guns are banned in church then the only guns in church will be those that are brought in with malicious intent in mind. It is the same argument that when guns are banned, then only the criminals will have guns because the law-abiding citizen will have turned in their weapons!! So if guns are allowed, then let the citizens carry!
  • Seasoned BN-0 2009/03/11 15:33:51
    Seasoned BN-0
    +2
    It is a matter of advantage versus disadvantage....not guns in church.
    I carry a concealed weapon...I have a permit to do so.....how many people would be shooting the sh*t out of others if they knew everyone else had a gun....not many.
  • barkbark-247 2009/03/11 15:29:25
    barkbark-247
    +2
    NO GUN BAN !!! PERIOD !!! Why bring this up? Carry a gun concealed ...when a cop is minutes away and seconds count...Welcome to the new way of life...To many THUGS to little time...
  • David 2009/03/11 15:27:25
    David
    +3
    All law-abiding, mentally stable, sober adult citizens and permanent residents should carry a gun. If everyone did, criminals could not depend on a helpless population to terrorize. Psychotics would be stopped after the first shot. The government said "Trust us with your security, we have trained police". The problem is that they are not everywhere that a crime is being committed. As far as church, the weapons would be concealed.
  • Robin 2009/03/11 15:06:24
    Robin
    +2
    Ban them? Who would ban them? Who would search the churchgoers? Kinda silly to even consider.
  • wow-really 2009/03/11 15:00:25 (edited)
    Guns don't belong in Church
    wow-really
    +2
    WOW!! Really???
    I didn't even know people carried guns in church....While they don't "belong" in church, with as many crazy folks running rampant, people are forced to protect themselves. ANd if more people were armed and some looney went on a shooting rampage at a mall, school, or church, someone there would be able to take em out before the nut-ball is able to kill more innocent people.
    Just a sign of the times and a fact of life..
    Sad as it is...
  • bookfan 2009/03/11 14:54:45
    bookfan
    +2
    Absolutely!
  • ctrocker 2009/03/11 14:53:16
    Guns don't belong in Church
    ctrocker
    Church is not the environment for something like a gun to be.
  • barkbar... ctrocker 2009/03/11 15:31:01 (edited)
    barkbark-247
    +1
    but the criminal thugs ...YES !!! Pack the GUN !!!
  • Tootsie 2009/03/11 14:47:24
    Guns don't belong in Church
    Tootsie
    +1
    Why would you need a gun at Church???? guns church gun church
  • David Tootsie 2009/03/11 15:32:36
    David
    +1
    You should not need a gun in church - unless a crazed, gun-toting madman decides to massacre the congregation. In the perfect world, you would not need a gun at all because criminals would be arrested and removed from society before they committed the crime. Sort of like Orwell's "1984" Thought crimes.
  • barkbar... Tootsie 2009/03/11 15:32:57 (edited)
    barkbark-247
    +1
    Good thing I don't go to church ...and like that sign is of any significance to the criminal...
  • Lynn Tootsie 2009/03/12 23:27:45
    Lynn
    To shoot people like Terry Sedlacek.
  • Laura 2009/03/11 14:45:59
    Laura
    +1
    I believe conceal and carry permits should be issued to all who have no criminal records.

In the states that allow this, violent crime is at it's lowest.

Churches, like our schools are the most vulnerable to the crazies who have weapons which have been obtained illegally. Churches will be targeted more and more as well as concert venues, movie theaters, shopping malls...any where that people thought previously safe.

If the criminals felt someone had a weapon to defend themselves in these places, they would think twice before opening fire. It's one thing pulling a gun when you think no one can fight back, it's another when someone else might have one too.
  • barkbar... Laura 2009/03/11 15:38:05
    barkbark-247
    +1
    Excuse me should be issued to all but the FELON...
  • Laura barkbar... 2009/03/12 00:08:16
    Laura
    I stand corrected! Thanks!
  • Ann 2009/03/11 14:44:30
    Guns don't belong in Church
    Ann
    The right to own a gun ... absolutely. The need to take it to church with you? What kind of church are you going to?
  • bookfan Ann 2009/03/11 14:56:00
    bookfan
    +2
    One who believes in the freedom of being able to defend yourself, family, &
    friends.
  • Ann bookfan 2009/03/11 15:18:50
    Ann
    I understand and I agree with a person's right to defend themself and their family but the debate here is "guns in church". I hope that this kind of an event isn't going to become the norm. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope it won't be necessary for people to feel the need to bring guns to church.
  • barkbar... Ann 2009/03/11 15:41:36
    barkbark-247
    wasen't there a shooting in church...smarten up thugs know where to go now...hit a church...LoL...you naive people...
  • barkbar... Ann 2009/03/11 15:40:32
    barkbark-247
    I would ..ME ...yah you bet...I trust no one coming thru that door ..anyone who does is naive...I've watched this country go from really good to REALLY REALLY BAD !!!
  • Keen Tojones 2009/03/11 14:27:18
    Keen Tojones
    But they do not have the right to carry them into churches and shoot people. This is insanity.
  • turtledove123 2009/03/11 14:23:13
    turtledove123
    +1
    I must say that I am truly undecided about this, as I think when gunfighters in the Old West went to church, even they laid the guns outside of it. What have we come to, that we even need to think of having to protect ourselves in God's House? What happened to turning the other cheek? These are the teachings that I was taught, not that we have the God given right to defend ourselves. He is the God that delivered Jonah from the belly of the whale. The God who stood in the ring of fire with Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego. He is the God of our protection. Now we need guns? It is truly a shame. And if we do this, (bring guns and WMD's) into the Church, His House, then has not the devil won?
  • bookfan turtled... 2009/03/11 14:58:47
    bookfan
    Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. Ever hear the saying about God helping
    those who help themselves? There is a HUGE church here in Dallas-you might
    have heard of it-it's called The Potter's House. If my info is correct, they have
    armed security guards patrolling the parking lot. I say good for them.
  • ralphie 2009/03/11 14:21:45
    Guns don't belong in Church
    ralphie
    +1
    Neither does masturbation..that should be banned in church as well.
    Just asking,.. but did you stay up late thinking up that idiot question?
  • Chillin 2009/03/11 14:19:47
    Guns don't belong in Church
    Chillin
    This is a sanctuary that is supposed to be a safe haven for all. I think it is an unspoken rule that that is line that should never be crossed and guns should be left at home and not brought to church.
  • slashes 2009/03/11 14:17:06
    slashes
    Gun control is one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard of. It's common sense. The kinds of people who commit crimes with guns are not the kind of people who follow gun laws. All this is doing is making it harder for the good law abiding citizens to protect themselves from the violent criminals. Wake up people!
  • bookfan slashes 2009/03/11 15:00:17
    bookfan
    +1
    I am a FIRM believer in gun control. Hold the gun steady, and hit the intended
    target. THAT is gun control!
  • jerry k... bookfan 2009/03/14 16:39:55
    jerry kolbe
    considering the number of dead in just the last two days this isn't the least bit funny.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2009/03/11 14:16:31
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    I don't. There are probably several policemen in my local church, whether they carry their weapons or not, I don't know. But banning weapons would only insure that the bad guys were the only one who has them.
  • jtrasap 2009/03/11 14:05:35 (edited)
    jtrasap
    Religion in itself needs more regulation then guns. There are more depressed, hypocritical, psychotic nut jobs sitting in church pews on Sunday then any other place on earth. The two or three super commercialized holidays that I do spend in church (just for the sake of pleasing my overly religious parents while we visit them and to save myself the long repetitive badgering from my mother) give me that added boost that I need to get through the year. Never do I feel so intelligent as when I try to hold conversations with the majority of the congregation. Mind you there are the odd few that seem to have some decent common sense, and I can only imagine that they get that same elated (yet at the same time annoyed) feeling that I do while there. I'm not going to put my kids through the crap that I went through as a child. They are going to remember Christmas for the pretty lights and all of the free stuff that they get to rip open on the morning after they had so much fun reenacting the fictitious story of a baby being born to a "virgin"(wink wink). And Easter....that's the day they wake up to baskets full of candy and toys, they get to fly kites, color eggs, and afterwords we go hide them and they hunt for them. We also have fun target shooting with family and friends on these days!!!...

""'
    Religion in itself needs more regulation then guns. There are more depressed, hypocritical, psychotic nut jobs sitting in church pews on Sunday then any other place on earth. The two or three super commercialized holidays that I do spend in church (just for the sake of pleasing my overly religious parents while we visit them and to save myself the long repetitive badgering from my mother) give me that added boost that I need to get through the year. Never do I feel so intelligent as when I try to hold conversations with the majority of the congregation. Mind you there are the odd few that seem to have some decent common sense, and I can only imagine that they get that same elated (yet at the same time annoyed) feeling that I do while there. I'm not going to put my kids through the crap that I went through as a child. They are going to remember Christmas for the pretty lights and all of the free stuff that they get to rip open on the morning after they had so much fun reenacting the fictitious story of a baby being born to a "virgin"(wink wink). And Easter....that's the day they wake up to baskets full of candy and toys, they get to fly kites, color eggs, and afterwords we go hide them and they hunt for them. We also have fun target shooting with family and friends on these days!!! Am I rambling? Ahhhhhh crap.....Sorry!

Before down-raving this...just remember "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and if you still decide to down-rave it.....I wouldn't expect any more!! Pack your bags, your going to hell...8-)
  • ralphie jtrasap 2009/03/11 14:24:50
    ralphie
    +1
    Shut up and get dressed...we're going to church you little shit!! Your mother is tired of making excuses for you.
  • slashes jtrasap 2009/03/11 14:27:07
    slashes
    You're an idiot! What kind of "regulation" to you think church needs? Have you ever thought that maybe you're going to the wrong church? You said "there are more depressed, hypocritical, psychotic nut jobs sitting in church pews." I would love to know what kind of church you're going to. What makes you think those people aren't happy, intelligent, and sane? Do you actually know all of them? Since you only go twice a year I find that hard to believe. From my experience, the most intelligent, moral, honest, and happy people are the ones I go to church with. Maybe you should open your mind and your brain and take a real look at the people there and maybe even try to get to know them, that is, if they can deal with your ignorance.
  • jtrasap slashes 2009/03/11 14:43:37
    jtrasap
    Judgment......Chalk another one up for "the devil"<----mockery..8-)

2014/10/22 05:07:51