Should Town Keep Video Game Ban?

Politics 2011/04/25 12:49:05
A Massachusetts seaside town wants to return to the past and play Pac-Man.

In 1982, Marshfield, a South Shore town, banned video games in town businesses, according to CBS News. Now, in a move that has roiled the community, residents will be voting to undo a ban that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"People wanna come in, it's another form of entertainment," Stephen Drosopoulos, who owns Venus II Restaurant, told CBS. "(They) wanna come in, have a couple drinks, play some video games in the bar."

Parents, at the time the ban was passed, were apparently worried about the effect of kids using coin-operated Donkey Kong. Violence and mayhem would ensue, they probably thought. But now, 30 years later, with Xboxes and PlayStations, showing more violence than we see in most movies, being used in the comfort of our homes, the ban has become a relic.

But while the repeal seems a tad outdated, some residents want to still hold on to their view of the town.

"It would definitely change the type of entertainment we offer," Faith Jean, who supports the video game ban, told CBS. "We’re a coastal town. Now are we an amusement coastal town or are we fishing and swimming and sailing?"

Read More: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/22/marshfield-v...

• Ldude893 2011/04/27 05:32:57
    Ldude893
    To be very fair, the law never banned home consoles and gaming, just arcade games. Still, if they're allowing video games at home, why ban arcade games?
  • Zher 2011/04/26 15:38:43
    Zher
    I so lol'd when I read this one. What a joke.
  • Arty 2011/04/26 15:22:00
    Arty
    violent video games create violent people
  • U-Dog 2011/04/26 14:48:43 (edited)
    U-Dog
    It sounds like a place stuck in the superstitious dark ages to me... have they checked the wives to make sure they aren't all under the influence of some form of Stepford wife mind control?

Opps... I meant to hit no!
  • photodude 2011/04/26 14:40:49
    photodude
    Opps hit the wrong thing meant no!

Most will have more violent games in their homes.
  • Cymech Dragon 2011/04/26 13:37:24
    Cymech Dragon
    It should never be the government's job to take your own responsibility away from you...
  • Agent 42 2011/04/26 13:32:49
    Agent 42
    rediculous.
  • jams 2011/04/26 13:23:07
    jams
    If the people want that, then they should. It's a good thing when towns foster an indvidual personality and arent the same thing as any other town.
  • Chaz 2011/04/26 11:57:37
    Chaz
    Liberals crack me up!
  • LukeJon... Chaz 2011/04/26 21:13:14
    LukeJonGibson
    +1
    What's this got to do with librals? This is the kinda retardedness that would only ever come from a conservative point of view. If you don't understand that, you need to research the meanings of the words...
  • Chaz LukeJon... 2011/04/27 11:48:01
    Chaz
    Of the most liberal cities, Detroit heads up the list with 93.96% of voters casting votes for
    liberal candidates in the 2004 presidential election, followed by Gary, Indiana with 93.08% of
    the voting going to liberal presidential candidates, and Berkeley, California in third with a
    92.76% total for liberals. Other cities in the top twenty five in descending order are the
    following: the District of Columbia; Oakland, CA; Inglewood, CA; Newark, NJ; Cambridge,
    MA; San Francisco, CA; Flint, MI; Cleveland, OH; Hartford, CT; Paterson, NJ; Baltimore, MD;
    New Haven, CT; Seattle, WA; Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Birmingham, AL; St. Louis, MO;
    New York, NY; Providence, RI; Minneapolis, MN; Boston, MA; and Buffalo, NY

Maybe you should do should do some research before you speak, its very helpful to have your facts right.
  • LukeJon... Chaz 2011/05/02 19:14:03
    LukeJonGibson
    WTF are you even on about?
  • Dem0072 2011/04/26 11:43:41 (edited)
    Dem0072
    Their town, their choice. But I guarantee you there are a whole lot of kids that make up of a significant percentage that have played games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Doom, etc. Realistically that combination includes everything from ramming a knife into someones head & watching the blood drain out, slaughtering dogs, blowing the limbs off people, shooting cops, stealing cars, being teleported to demonic places where all sorts of interesting critters are spawned through a burning pentagram.

But yes yes, let's ban duck hunt and video games that involve monkeys with baseball hats jumping for bananas and throwing barrels :)

Kids can play Call of Duty and slaughter ultra nationalists, Russians and Nazis for hours on end without feeling the need to slaughter people in real life. They exercise restraint and for the most part understand the do's and don'ts in school and in public. I don't see a problem here.
  • Wolverineland 2011/04/26 11:14:34
    Wolverineland
    The ban was ridiculous in the first place and Donkey Kong was the game they decided on? Addressing copycat violence, where would the kids in that town find flaming barrels to roll at people? addressing copycat violence kids town flaming barrels roll people donkey kong barrel
  • NarcolepticGoat 2011/04/26 11:14:27
    NarcolepticGoat
    For some strange reason the song "Footloose" is now running through my mind.
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2011/04/26 11:06:20
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    no no and no. So stupid.... they will just see it all in the movies and on t.v.
  • harley 2011/04/26 10:40:57
    harley
    Responsability is the answer
  • dePSyChO 2011/04/26 10:19:42
    dePSyChO
    +1
    I bet the town still doesn't let women dress in clothes that show their ankles either! The horror!
  • K. Katt 2011/04/26 07:55:24
    K. Katt
    It's still illegal to carry a lunch pail in Riverside, CA on Sunday.
  • bones 2011/04/26 07:51:27
    bones
    surely nooooooooooo.........its a way to relax the mind.......well kind off.
  • NekoChan 2011/04/26 06:43:44
    NekoChan
    Oh my GOSH! You can't seriously tell me we're on this subject again! This is ridiculous! Video games do not turn people violent. In fact, in some cases, they keep people FROM getting violent in the real world. >.< The people who put this ban in place obviously have nothing better to do in their lives. Yes, video games cause kids to kill and Harry Potter turns kids into wizards....get real America....
  • FUS RO DAH! 2011/04/26 06:09:30
    FUS RO DAH!
    stupid town stupid ban
  • AIC fan 2011/04/26 05:28:15
    AIC fan
    People are just looking for something to blame. I mean come on Donkey Kong violent? Please there are more violent games than Donkey Kong and Pac Man . Give me a break that town needs to get with the times
  • Jenn the Psycho 2011/04/26 04:23:51
    Jenn the Psycho
    +1
    Video games don't kill people. Video games don't influence violence. Video games don't encourage players to harm others. It's people with unbalanced bodily chemistry, more particularly in the brain, that are the ones that go postal.

After all, just because you give someone a gun doesn't mean they're going to shoot someone.
  • GhostZer0 2011/04/26 03:50:48 (edited)
    GhostZer0
    Ha! Clicked wrong answer.

I think in someway that violates the laws on Interstate Commerce not to mention some First Amendment stuff and a ton of other things I won't even bother getting into.
  • Stephaniee 2011/04/26 03:36:51
    Stephaniee
    It'S A way To Relax than To Create Violence
  • Sophie 2011/04/26 02:27:17
    Sophie
    +1
    I will probably get slack for this, but I think that children would be better off without video games.
    I mean if they can make them to help kids do better in certain subjects in school ok, but too many of these kids tend to get addicted to them and don't want to do much of anything else. The more they play, the more fantasy they want and the less they want to do in the real world.
    We should be spending more time with our children, not having them spend more time with video games.
  • Avelin Sophie 2011/04/26 05:43:43
    Avelin
    +1
    Imagination is not a crime.
  • Sophie Avelin 2011/04/26 14:59:44 (edited)
    Sophie
    You are right, it's not, but video games seem to replace art, music, athletics and many other worth while extracuricular activities in kids lives and is a leading contributor to childhood obesity.
  • Avelin Sophie 2011/04/27 01:32:36
    Avelin
    +1
    I was refering to:
    The more they play, the more fantasy they want and the less they want to do in the real world.

As previously stated, imagination is not a crime. As soon as they ban video games,next come movies, music, TV, and the rest of the color in the world. Add to the unique qualities in the world, not reimurse us into bland life.
  • Sophie Avelin 2011/04/27 14:54:10
    Sophie
    Good point!
  • Avelin Sophie 2011/04/28 22:46:50
    Avelin
    That's me. I'm a helper.
  • Sophie Avelin 2011/04/28 22:57:36
    Sophie
    Cool.
  • dePSyChO Sophie 2011/04/26 10:22:12
    dePSyChO
    +1
    Adults, and authority in particular, gets tiring to kids and teens. If they want to relax and get away and *not* spend time with people we live with in a house for 18-20 straight years, they should be able to.

And as Avelin said, imagination isn't a crime. If they want to live in a fantasy world, who are you to say "No, that's wrong"? It's their choice.
  • Sophie dePSyChO 2011/04/26 15:01:37
    Sophie
    I hear you, but not so much that you become detached from reality and the people that you care about.
  • dePSyChO Sophie 2011/04/26 19:57:54
    dePSyChO
    +1
    Only the worst get that bad. The point of video games is to get detactched from reality for a while; it's the same with tv and movies and books.
  • Cymech ... Sophie 2011/04/26 13:27:25
    Cymech Dragon
    Video games don't make anyone any more addictive than not; they don't go around holding a gun to your head to force you into doing anything. People get addicted to video games out of their own addictive personality.

The only thing you got right is that parents should spend more time with their kids.
  • Sophie Cymech ... 2011/04/26 15:15:38
    Sophie
    I disagree, once kids start playing a video game, they tend to get lost in it and forget about time and before they know it they have spent hours in the video game. Ask any parent how hard it is to get their child away from a video game.
  • doctorw... Sophie 2011/04/26 16:37:45
    doctorwhofan
    The same thing happens when reading novels, should we ban those too?
  • Sophie doctorw... 2011/04/26 21:55:19
    Sophie
    Are you serious?

2014/04/24 19:36:53