Should Top-Rated Public School Superintendent Make $500,000?

Politics 2011/06/08 18:30:28
Carole Hankin, a top-rated and top-paid New York state public school superintendent, has come under fire from political analysts (and us a few months back at SodaHead) as well as directly from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

However, Fox News reports that parents are happy with her work.

She heads what is billed as one of the top school districts in the country, and people pay steep property taxes to fund the schools. The district serves all of Woodbury and Syosset communities of Long Island, with approximately 7,000 students in 10 schools. When you add in benefits, Hankin takes home $542,000 -- and this year she even got a raise.

Cuomo claims that her salary is "wasteful school spending," but analyst Larry Levy warns that her salary is "so far out of scale that it puts a bulls-eye on the backs of all superintendents."

Read More: http://www.google.com/gwt/x?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myf...

• Welshtaff 2011/06/09 02:17:01
    Welshtaff
    +1
    No one is worth that kind of wages, put the money into education for the students. worth wages money education students HIgh wage teachers
  • Welshtaff 2011/06/09 02:16:53
    Welshtaff
  • Welshtaff 2011/06/09 02:16:41
    Welshtaff
  • BiGfAtS... Welshtaff 2011/06/09 04:30:48
    BiGfAtSoNoFaB*TcH
    +2
    "No one is worth that kind of wages"

worth wages

You feel that way about these people as well?
    That is not as bad as the retirement benefits she will get--that is the most insulting part. I do have to say that what she is doing is eqivalent to a CEO and should be paid well--maybe 500K is a little over the top--half that would be sufficient for a "public servant".
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/06/09 02:12:37
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Lucky stiff. I'm jealous.
    Why can't I get these jobs?
  • Eneri 2011/06/09 02:11:35
    Eneri
    This is where the money goes.
  • Catita 2011/06/09 01:42:22
    Catita
    +1
    of course not,
  • DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/06/09 01:38:49
    DANNY_B0i♛
    I thought education was about teaching the generations from years to come about being smart and preparing for the real world..not about making your ridiculous amount of cash that you don't have as a school district.
  • Rore73 2011/06/09 01:29:37
    Rore73
    +1
    If the people paying the taxes that pay her salary are happy with it, why should anyone else have heartburn over her pay?
  • TooSweet 2011/06/09 01:15:03
    TooSweet
    No job should pay 500K A year,if you want that kind of money start your own business or invest very wisely.
  • babibumer TooSweet 2011/06/09 01:43:43
    babibumer
    +1
    Would you go sing that song to Wall Street, Health Insurance CEO's, Professional ball teams, Roger Ales, etc.? Please, please, please? $500K is really pocket change compared to these guys!
  • TooSweet babibumer 2011/06/09 01:50:04 (edited)
    TooSweet
    When health CEO's are getting 10 mil. bonuses and the average American can't afford health insurance?!..HELL YEAH I WOULD !!!...BTW being an athlete is not A job,they are entertainers just like actors and we,me/you pay their saleries...shame on us,I guess.
  • LeroyRo... TooSweet 2011/06/09 02:44:51
  • babibumer TooSweet 2011/06/15 01:36:57
    babibumer
    Exactly! I would LOVE to see these stadiums EMPTY. It's time that Americans start saying Hell No to these ridiculous "entertainers" salaries while the tax payers pay for the arenas they play in! Go figure. Did you hear Lebron James' comments after the Heat's loss to Dallas? Kinda puts into perspective how holier than thou they are and are just aggravated by all the "little people".
  • Willl babibumer 2011/06/09 03:09:54
    Willl
    +1
    Sorry for jumping in but;
    There is a difference between all that you listed and Ms. or Mrs. Hankin. She is a public servant, paid by the taxpayers whether they like it or not. Whether they have 20 kids or none. Whether they are 20 or 80 or any age in between as long as they own or lease a property from a mortgage lender. They live in the district, they pay real estate taxes and big portion of it goes to school district. That is how she gets paid and people who pay her have no say whether or not they want to pay her.
    Now, the CEO's, etc. Wall Street, banks, Roger Ales, GM, Immell, Jobs, the facebook guy, George Soros, Blue Cross, sports, celebrities, etc., get portion of my money only is I and only I decide to buy their products or services or just participate in their product. Otherwise it is like this. Facebook guy get not a cent from my family since none of us has a Facebook account, Immell did on a dishwasher, Blue Cross did for a year five years ago but no more. Jordan did but Penn will not.
    And I did not move once.
    See the difference? Or still confused?
    Owning a property in a School District XYZ means paying for the School District XYZ expanses regardless if I only use roads, Fire department, Police, etc., but not school system.
    With the other guys, I have a choice....

Sorry for jumping in but;
    And I did not move once.
    See the difference? Or still confused?
    With the other guys, I have a choice. With my school district, I don’t.
    If I decide to buy a bosh dishwasher all Immell can do is make a long face.
    If I decide to shorten my real estate bill by the amount that goes to School District, the county will take my property away.
    See the difference?
    I do not care how much Immell makes since it is my choice to contribute to his salary. I do care how much my school district superintendent makes since her salary comes straight from my taxes whether I like it or not.
  • babibumer Willl 2011/06/15 02:06:39
    babibumer
    I do understand what you're saying - and no need for apologies for jumping in - isn't that what SH is all about? :)

Anyway, first of all, school teachers/ systems are not really "public servants". The only true "public servants" are our elected officials. Teachers, firefighters, policemen, FBI, etc. etc. just happened to be employed by the government - which are all paid for by taxes of some nature. Just because their jobs are funded by our taxes, that does not make them our "servants". Everyone pays everyone else's salary. That's just the way the monetary system works. If we shop at Winn-Dixie, we pay the employee's salaries. That does not make them our "servants". If we go to the hospital, we're paying the hospital staff's salary. That does not make them our "servants' - nor give us a say in their salaries. I could go on, but I think you should get the gest. We have no control over their salaries. The tax payers pay for the stadiums that these "athletes" play in, yet we the taxpayer get nothing back in return. (Orlando is bankrupting themselves because of the new Amway Center and receiving absolutely ZERO back from gate sales - it all goes to the players and the team owners.) What's wrong with that picture?

America has somehow allowed people to vote themselves exhorbitan...

America has somehow allowed people to vote themselves exhorbitant salaries while the middle class is in serious decline. What to do? What to do? I don't know - but this trend cannot continue. And as far as the Facebook guy goes? You don't have to have a Facebook account. If you've bought any of the products or visited any of the sites that advertise or link to Facebook which is just about all of them - you're paying Zuckerberg. It's all just too crazy - and the Wall Street billionaires are making billions by shuffling money - which is taken out of OUR pockets one way or the other.

Oh well - I'm getting off the subject - a whole other subject for which I could write a thesis! LOL.
  • baller 2011/06/09 01:13:58
    baller
    from what I understand she was a Bloomberg groupie and her kids do not even go to public schools but instead she sends them to a private school in nearby Conneticut
  • nan 2011/06/09 01:12:11
    nan
    with so many people out of work and laying off or firing teachers ..Absolutely not she shouldnt be making this kind of $$ or accepting a raise shame on her.
  • Tori 2011/06/09 01:05:15
    Tori
    +1
    That seems rather steep to me, but if the taxpayers in that district, who pay the bulk of her salary, think she's worth it then she probably is. It's a pittance compared to what corporations are willing to pay high performing CEO's.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/06/09 00:47:37
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    ANOTHER DISTRICT WITH "TOP HEAVY" BUDGETING.....
  • John® 2011/06/09 00:42:03
    John®
    +1
    I think the reason why they get such an insane wage is they are important to child indoctrination, which is important to turn children into Democrat voters.
  • Jason 2011/06/09 00:35:21
    Jason
    +2
    Yes, but only if she 'earns' it. If the schools she oversees are doing well, the test scores are high, and the students are excelling, then absolutely. Public educations are underpaid and under appreciated. But, if the schools are not doing well cut her salary appropriately.
  • notokand 2011/06/09 00:31:25
    notokand
    I guess if she's as good as she seems....

What pisses me off though, is that these Supers buy in, typically tear apart school districts because they need to "fix the internal problems", and often leave the place in shambles and everyone else scrambling for a new Super. I know the district my friend works in has personally fired 6 people on the board and appointed their friends, all who make more money than 6 teachers combined. So here you have teachers fearing job losses, barely making ends meet, schools with NO money because these F-er's are running everyone dry.
  • Simmering Frog 2011/06/09 00:31:15
    Simmering Frog
    Hillary gif

No but then again she does live in New York. You need to make that much money to make ends meet in that state.
  • Nam Era... Simmeri... 2011/06/09 02:14:04
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +2
    Arrghh the scary head is coming
  • sam ashton 2011/06/09 00:22:42 (edited)
    sam ashton
    +3
    give me a frickin break. Over $500,000 to some supervisor - typical; give all the money to the monkeys at the top and screw the teachers who are the ones that actually provide the daily knowledge transfer and education to the kids.

typical - rich get richer and poor get bent over --- BOHICA!!!

nice bank $542,000 for 10 schools and 7000 kids...who'd she do to get this gravy job?
  • Katherine sam ashton 2011/06/09 00:37:22
    Katherine
    Perhaps she started poor and is now rich?
  • Leantom... Katherine 2011/06/09 01:00:20
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +1
    Perhaps she knew people and then viola!

That's how things work in public-sector institutions.
  • Katherine Leantom... 2011/06/09 01:06:26
    Katherine
    Perhaps unions buy democrat politician support and democrats pay back the unions while taxpayers are left there alone getting screwed.
  • Leantom... Katherine 2011/06/09 01:08:35
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +1
    Well, that much is obvious.

I was just referring to how this lady, in particular, got her job.

All public-sector unions must go (or at least eliminate collective bargaining). It's no different from legislators giving money to corporate entities (oh yeah - unions are for "the people" - lol)
  • nan sam ashton 2011/06/09 01:14:53
    nan
    You are so right she should be ashamed to take a psy raise making that kind of $$.
  • richard... sam ashton 2011/06/09 02:46:10
    richard hussein, left wing radical
    exactly! I also wonder what weiner (forgive me anthony} she's been gulping to get that much gravy...
  • Richard 2011/06/09 00:15:09
    Richard
    +1
    SHE'S LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK ON THE PUBLIC TAX PAYERS DIME,..SHE DIDN'T THINK YOU'D MIND,... = ( Tear ) =
  • prosperhappily 2011/06/09 00:00:41
    prosperhappily
    +2
    That's about as much as the president makes. That's crazy.
  • Jon Peter 2011/06/08 23:58:20 (edited)
    Jon Peter
    +3
    Hell no. This is the very thing that tax payers should not allow. Imagine how many quality teachers you could hire. Whose idea it is to compensate a bureaucrat with that salary. Furthermore, there is so much duplication of superintendents with regard to districts with discrepancies in compensation. They are robbing our children. What a joke. It's insane. Carol needs to find a new job. I don't care what she is capable of doing. We need to consolidate the services so tax payers don't have to foot the bill for corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.
  • Dave Brewster 2011/06/08 23:43:46
    Dave Brewster
    +2
    Common sense say "NO." However, Since she is actually accomplishing something, whereas "Obama" has accomplished nothing good, she deserves to be paid more than "Obama."
  • Katherine Dave Br... 2011/06/09 00:33:04
    Katherine
    Perhaps Obama should be paid less..... or..... not at all.
  • SEAL76 2011/06/08 23:41:18
    SEAL76
    +1
    No way in Hell. Admiral Eric Olson, the commanding officer of JSOC, Doesn't make that much. He is in charge of all of the US Special Operations Forces in the US Armed Forces. That means SEALs, DevGru, DELTA, Special Forces, Marine Force Recon, Marine Special Operations Units, and Air Force Special Operations forces. Admiral Mike Mullen the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff isn't paid that much.
  • SEAL76 2011/06/08 23:41:16
    SEAL76
    +2

2014/07/22 23:37:55