Should Top-Rated Public School Superintendent Make $500,000?

Politics 2011/06/08 18:30:28
Carole Hankin, a top-rated and top-paid New York state public school superintendent, has come under fire from political analysts (and us a few months back at SodaHead) as well as directly from Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

However, Fox News reports that parents are happy with her work.

She heads what is billed as one of the top school districts in the country, and people pay steep property taxes to fund the schools. The district serves all of Woodbury and Syosset communities of Long Island, with approximately 7,000 students in 10 schools. When you add in benefits, Hankin takes home $542,000 -- and this year she even got a raise.

Cuomo claims that her salary is "wasteful school spending," but analyst Larry Levy warns that her salary is "so far out of scale that it puts a bulls-eye on the backs of all superintendents."

Read More: http://www.google.com/gwt/x?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myf...

• Johana Mercer 2012/03/08 00:21:54
    Johana Mercer
    BEAUMONT,TEXAS BISD SUPERINTENDENT MAKES $334,000.00 A YR.
    AND DOESNT DESERVE IT AT ALL
  • YouSirName 2011/06/20 01:52:03
    YouSirName
    +1
    Priavte school headmaster BASE salaries (not counting perks) are in the $300K+ range and they run just a single school. CEOs of many companies with significantly fewer employees than this school district make salaries in the millions. If it is so easy to do this job, go compete or it yourself.
  • Julie 2011/06/17 05:30:33
    Julie
    +1
    NO! For starters, no job in the teaching profession is actually worth that much money. But more importantly, how much do the teachers in her district make? Depending on cost of living, in most places, teachers would be lucky to make $30,000 starting (where I live its actually less than that and I live in a city). I don't like the idea of overpaying someone while in the process of underpaying others.
  • Carlos Perez 2011/06/16 16:35:18
    Carlos Perez
    +1
    If you look at their education, experience and many other factors, all strong superintendents are worth their pay. If you can, keep taxes down, keep student scores high, advocate for your community to the state, and balance a budget that in some districts on long island exceeds the $180 million dollar mark, to me it's a no-brainer. There are huge corporations who don’t have as high an annual budget, and their CEO's make 2, 3, 4 even 5 million dollars a year. Our children are worth it!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not informed into what the true task of a school superintendent is.
  • DavidK 2011/06/13 01:57:13
    DavidK
    +1
    What could be a possible reason they should make that kind of money?!?!?
  • Bomb a DavidK 2011/06/13 11:17:26
    Bomb a
    +1
    Question? Does it make more sense to pay Peyton Manning $15 million or Ryan Leaf $7 million?
  • DavidK Bomb a 2011/06/13 18:11:41
    DavidK
    +1
    neither......
  • Carlos ... Bomb a 2011/06/16 16:35:02
    Carlos Perez
    +4
    Well Said!!!
  • Bomb a 2011/06/12 04:44:50
    Bomb a
    +4
    People that don't make a difference like Coumo are always pointing fingers at those that do.
    She probably is worth every cent she makes and more. Unfortunately there are vast numbers of superintendents being over payed because of parity.
    That's why Coumo doesn't make a difference. It's easier to take on one good superintendent than a whole nest of lousy ones.
  • Yes
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +1
    If America was the super power it claimed to be, we would all be living like this
  • kresge 2011/06/10 03:37:43
    kresge
    +1
    I value education, and our teachers, but I'm sorry, that is just TOO much!

Having said that, I would like to see the breakdown of the actual salary and subsequent benefits.
  • ftc68 kresge 2011/06/12 18:11:49
    ftc68
    +2
    One thing - what gives you, kresge, the authority to judge how much a superintendent makes? A doctor is the only person that can diagnose cancer. Easy. A pharmacist is the only person that can dispense the right amount of drug. Just as easy. These people not only studied to make those decisions, they're qualified by a board. There's rules and regulations behind it. Not just some random discussion on the internet - maybe a master's degree would help - but what field?

Either way kresge - the only reason I responded is because you have an awesome profile from behind. Computer pictures lie, but you look like you may have a fine ass, and that you're a bellydancer makes you pretty sexy. Too bad you're not my type.
  • kresge ftc68 2011/06/13 08:19:24
    kresge
    +1
    This is an opinion place and its just my opinion ~ no agreement is necessary!

By booty isnt my best feature, I just like that costume! An sexy is in the eye of the beholder.:) But, thank you ~ I think!:)
  • Carlos ... ftc68 2011/06/30 21:22:57
    Carlos Perez
    +1
    ftc68, well put. So many people just don't understand how important the people educating their children are. We bring our children to the best Dr's when they are sick or need some sort of special surgery (God forbid). We then don't mind paying any price as long as their child is safe. Please someone tell me, why would we not want the best educating our kids? And again I say, who is to say how much anyone should make?
  • Callaway 2011/06/10 03:17:46 (edited)
    Callaway
    +1
    If it was Cuomo's own money sure let him spend it the way he feels is right but just like so many others he forgot he wasn't spending his own money he was spending tax money. Get real a half a million for a supt??? A true WTF moment there. Of course we may not know if there were other hidden talents she might have displayed to get the job.
  • Kat 2011/06/10 01:58:35
    Kat
    just no,
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/06/10 01:08:42
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    If Obama can whine about what CEO's make, we should be able to complain when a school administrator makes more than ten times what their lowest paid teacher makes.
  • Edie 2011/06/10 01:05:53
    Edie
    +1
    However, the Senators that sit one term is office still get full retirement the rest of their life. While our military spend 20 yrs. + then only get 50%. Nobody complains about that either just the way they choose to do business. How can we justify not being accountable for kids graduating school while not be capable of reading, math or correct English?
  • CountryLogic 2011/06/09 23:00:47
    CountryLogic
    +1
    Hell no.
  • dan 2011/06/09 22:00:30
    dan
    +1
    Thats almost 10.000 per week to much seniors live on 10.000 a year.
  • kevinc1028 2011/06/09 21:28:17
    kevinc1028
    +1
    This is such a loaded question. This is just another opportunity for people to bash teachers and school administrators. Why not use a figure that is slightly high like 250k to encourage a real discussion?
  • Bomb a kevinc1028 2011/06/12 04:50:10
    Bomb a
    +1
    $250k isn't slightly high for a part time job. They take every other day off for a sick day or personal day or snow day and the whole summer off because it isn't snowing.
  • kevinc1028 Bomb a 2011/06/12 18:06:24
    kevinc1028
    +2
    It's not too much. I am a teacher and I do not work or live in this district but I'm nearby. Superintendents work 12 months out of the year, not 10 months. They work during many school vacations and are not limited to the six to seven school hours that teachers are. There were maybe three snow days in most disctricts on the island this year and sick days are rare for a superintendent. It's obvious that you believe that teachers are lazy and overpaid based on your response and that's sad. My great grandparents that came to America a hundred years ago and lived through the Great Depression could never have imagined a day where the greed of bankers could cause an economic collapse that could then be blamed on public employees that can barely afford to pay their bills and go on one vacation a year.
  • ucntbsrius 2011/06/09 21:02:52
    ucntbsrius
    +4
    If the people in that district are happy with her performance and they are paying the property tax that supports her wages then why the discussion?
  • MarinerFH 2011/06/09 21:02:32 (edited)
  • Selketskiss 2011/06/09 20:45:24
    Selketskiss
    +1
    WTF she is making more than the POTUS this is insane and out of touch with reality...
  • Bomb a Selkets... 2011/06/12 04:54:36
    Bomb a
    +1
    She's doing a better job than the POTUS!
  • Selkets... Bomb a 2011/06/12 05:08:39 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +1
    Well you got me on that one....LOL
  • J 2011/06/09 20:20:21
    J
    +3
    If that is what the tax-payers from that district are willing to pay for. But, anything above and beyond what is normal for other state Superintendents, should be paid strictly from "school district". I think it is just as right that she make a decent wage - and all educators, but they should be showing results and that doesn't just mean meeting "state test requirements." If the education system wants to cut some spending, just look at all the NEW schools being built across this nation. And most when the older building would be perfect with a few renovations.
  • bpf 2011/06/09 19:36:56
    bpf
    +2
    Our tax dollars at work that's why we can't hire more teachers...same as any other business the fat cat's at the top sweeten their own wallets or pocketbooks first over the kids.
  • John 2011/06/09 19:36:49
    John
    +2
    When you say $542,000 take home, you mean after taxes. If that's the case, you're talking about a total package of over $800,000. That's almost $115 per student in that district and she doesn't even teach any of these kids. Learn from Finland, treat the teachers like professionals, where teachers are idolized, diminish all that power of the teacher unions and get rid of the beaurocrats, and maybe the US from being 25th in the world in education, we can maybe jump up to like 10th.
  • Charlie 2011/06/09 19:30:39
    Charlie
    +2
    Let's see, the President of the US makes $400,000 + $50K for expenses and the VP makes $230,700 and this makes sense to who?
  • Lanikai 2011/06/09 19:18:13 (edited)
    +2
    THere is no superintendent worth that much especially not where so many schools need cash..
  • Charlie Lanikai 2011/06/09 19:31:54
    Charlie
    +3
    But the New York school system is being run so well, lol!
  • Lanikai Charlie 2011/06/09 19:42:16
    Don't they have a LOT of truly bad inner city schools that really suck and have high drop out rates?
  • Charlie Lanikai 2011/06/09 19:44:21
    Charlie
    +2
    I was being sarcastic. You are correct.
  • Lanikai Charlie 2011/06/09 20:06:41
    I noted that sarcasm, LOL. That was mostly for the braindead supporters of the schools who blindly listen to their leaders insane rantings about how worth the money she is.
  • J Lanikai 2011/06/09 20:24:03
    J
    +2
    Not too many schools need the "cash" as bad as people are lead to believe. Have you traveled this country in the past 2-3 years? There are NEW, designer school buildings cropping up EVERYWHERE. In most of these cases, just minor refurbishing would be more than just acceptable.
  • Lanikai J 2011/06/09 20:45:44
    +1
    I agree, our stupid city built a few new ones in the nicer neighborhoods, when remodeling the older ones would have been cheaper. BUT, parents wanted NEW and closer to "their" residences rather then an extra 1/2 mile or so. It was the building boom in the mid 2000's. But some of the new ones sit empty and the ones that operate don't have the number of students they thought they would, largely because some parents will not use a school in a neighborhood full of snobs, or vice versa. So, it just continues.

Our schools pay the bus drivers to pick up and drop off kids at daycares all over the city, even some kids that do not attend public schools yet. I am bugged as heck about that, cause it costs money to loop around to ever daycare to drop off or pick up kids. I am also bugged that magnet schools have been hijacked by certain people, to run the agenda.

And our superintendent is such a morn he wants to consolidate the two high schools and force tenth graders to chose a career, and start technical school in 10th or 11th if they are not going onto college. They call it progress. I call it regress.

How about get the dead wood teachers out, get the deadwood administrators out and give the money to the schools, rather then central admin.
  • Charlie Lanikai 2011/06/09 21:58:02
    Charlie
    +1
    Wow, how many kids really know what they want to do in 10th or 11th grade? I know I didn't. Most college kids change their major at least once. that sounds pretty dumb to me.

2014/10/02 10:48:14