Should Tom Cruise of been given a Humanitarian award at the Simon Wiesenthal Center's annual dinner?
As reported by Danielle Berrin, in her blog for the Jewish Journal, Tom Cruise is about to be given a humanitarian award at the Simon Wiesenthal Center's annual dinner. It is to be held at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles on Thursday.
Cruise's own personal deeds, as well as his intimate relationship with Scientology's leadership, have led to reactions to this decision. Human rights activists and ex-Scientologists have said they will protest the event, and some supporters of the SWC have in their disgust re-directed their support to other organizations.
I will sum up the cases for and against giving this award to Tom Cruise. Each point will first be listed in short, and then be elaborated on. My position is not neutral, but even so I will try to refrain from creating obvious straw man arguments here. If you have better arguments on either side, feel free to post them as comments below.
- F1 He gave them money, and we don't care what he believes or supports beyond that.
- F2 Who cares about this award anyway, can't we let him and his friends have a little award show in peace and quiet?
- F3 Perhaps by giving Tom Cruise this award, he might do the right thing in the future.
- F4 Holocaust studies are more important than any abuses committed by Scientology.
- F5 Tom Cruise deserves the award because Scientology owns a lot of nice real estate. (This should have been a straw man, but it's actually a real and repeated argument.)
- A1 Tom Cruise personally promotes Holocaust revisionism.
- A2 Tom Cruise personally promotes "PTS/SP" and the "Tone Scale" - instruments for justifying despotism and even genocide.
- A3 Tom Cruise personally had his motorcycles, truck and airplane hangar worked on by trafficked and captive labor. Tom Cruise has also lived as a pampered guest at a labor camp in Riverside, CA.
- A4 Tom Cruise is a close personal friend of Scientology's leader David Miscavige, who was even the best man at his wedding. Tom Cruise is far from powerless to stop the abuses and fraud that Scientology commits. He's not any old member. He could speak out. Of particular concern to the SWC should be:
-- A4A Church of Scientology's long-standing Holocaust revisionism and trivialization.
-- A4B It being a totalitarian organization with dystopian designs on the world.
-- A4C It forms alliances with extremist groups like Louis Farrakhan's racist Nation of Islam
-- A4D Its intolerance of independent Scientologists
you can read more about it here http://littlegreenfootballs.com/page/245944_The_absurd_Wiesen...
It should also be noted that scientology was in fact responsible for forging bomb threats in the name of a young journalist named Paulette Cooper back in the 1970's. What makes this significant is the fact Paulette Cooper is a jewish women who happened to be born in Auschwitz and her parents were killed soon after by nazis.
these are the facts people, discuss, and yes even the scientologist can post as they want. I am for free speech, unlike some people that prove themselves to have an agenda but i'm not going to stop you from speaking about how you feel.
See Votes by State
News & Politics