Should there be Saturday school?

Junior the Outer Space Music Man 2010/10/19 23:25:16
Related Topics: students
Absolutely not
Yes, the children should get as much learning in as possible
I heard something disturbing at the afterschool program today. One of our students(who knows, maybe it was more, I'll ask tomorrow.) said he had school on Saturday. And you should've seen my eyes. They almost went as big as silver dollars. I was telling my co-worker before the kids got there just how much mental fatigue it gives children. They put up with the bullying, peer pressure and studying five days a week. Why make it six? The kids need a break for the weekend to get their minds refreshed and recharged for the next week. This really got to me and I was about to ask the student that told me to tell an administrator or the principal and tell them this is unfair for children. So what are your thoughts, should there be Saturday school?

• lucymay5472@gmail.com 2014/01/31 02:58:40
    Absolutely not
    lucymay5472@gmail.com
    +1
    i don't think we should add Saturday to out school week because, more bullying, less family communication and just because there's more time doesn't mean there's more learning
  • Junior ... lucymay... 2014/02/08 01:40:43
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    And children probably come from the weekend more refreshed than when they went in to it.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2010/10/20 07:43:45
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    OUR SCHOOLS TAUGHT REMEDIAL CLASSES ON SATURDAYS DURING THE 60s.
  • mrs.efron 2010/10/20 02:23:09
    mrs.efron
    +2
    the way our district works is that you have to earn your saturday school.......as in you are in trouble if your attending saturday school. it's like detention!
  • humdrum 2010/10/20 01:15:35
    humdrum
    +1
    I work at a highschool and some kids really mess up and as they get closer to when they are supposed to graduate they finally start trying to succeed and they are grateful that there are provisions like Saturday school. So I do believe its needed, but I know its tough for them to balance everything.
  • Ariadne 2010/10/19 23:31:21 (edited)
    Ariadne
    +1
    There are pros and cons. It could go either way.

We'd be smarter if we went to school on Saturday. Lots of other countries go to school on Saturday, why not us? It couldn't hurt. It depends on the school, too. Some schools have harder classes and stricter teachers where other schools give passing grades to kids who shouldn't pass just to pass that kid onto the next teacher to deal with. If you think about it, we'd get out for summer a lot earlier and have shorter school days!

On the other hand, many kids would be tired and wouldn't have much time to spend with family and friends outside of school. I don't know about other schools, but we have a ton of athletic tournaments on Saturdays, so having school wouldn't be the best...School weeks can be exhausting, especially if they are filled with a bunch of tests (Speaking of which, I should be studying biology and Spanish now instead of writing this. :P)
  • Junior ... Ariadne 2010/10/19 23:39:44
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    +1
    I can't believe I just looked at it from one side.
  • Ariadne Junior ... 2010/10/19 23:46:00
    Ariadne
    +1
    Always gotta look at things from a different perspective. ;)

gotta perspective
  • Junior ... Ariadne 2010/10/19 23:48:49
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    +1
    I normally catch these things in time, but this topic upset me so much that I just forgot.
  • ** BAMA CHICK ** 2010/10/19 23:27:51
    Absolutely not
    ** BAMA CHICK **
    +1
    no, i hated school Monday through Friday & especially on Saturday

2014/11/01 03:27:12