Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

daniellhawk 2012/06/25 04:16:59
No, 16 is too young to vote.
Yes, they pay taxes.
The right to vote is one of the most important human rights.
A century or so ago almost no countries allowed women to vote, and it
took decades of struggle for them to win political rights. Fifty years
ago countries such as South Africa and many states in the USA limited
the rights of black people to vote, but that too has changed for the
better. Now every democracy accepts that all adult citizens should have
the right to vote. But what does adult mean?
Do you think we committing discrimination in our current voting laws?

Read More: http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-16-year-old...

• unicorn_lady1 2012/06/25 11:36:40
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    unicorn_lady1
    +10
    Perhaps since children believe they should be covered under their parents insurance till age 26, they should move the voting age to 27?

• skroehr 2012/06/26 15:14:31
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    skroehr
    +2
    Good grief, NO NO NO. In fact, I think it should be RAISED to 21, (unless the 18 - 21 voter can prove current or past military service, going to college, or is working full time, and contributing to the tax base and Social Security.) There is just simply too much to learn still about our Government at 18. But 16? That's just plain insanity. They don't even have a dog in the fight yet.
  • Rebel geek. 2012/06/26 14:02:08
    Yes, they pay taxes.
    Rebel geek.
    yes i think they should lower it to 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    not 16 but 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • betz Rebel g... 2012/06/26 17:02:32
    betz
    +2
    You would be such a responsible voter. Haha.
  • Rebel g... betz 2012/09/03 11:48:37
    Rebel geek.
    and i would do a right in campain for myself lololol
  • JL 2012/06/26 12:16:46
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    JL
    +1
    YEAH....SURE...THEN BIEBER CAN BE PRESIDENT....OMG!!!
  • betz JL 2012/06/26 17:02:50
    betz
    +1
    LOL...
  • betz 2012/06/26 10:48:15
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    betz
    +2
    21 is a great age to cast your first vote. 18 is too young and 16 is outrageous IMO!
    They pay taxes??? On what?? The 600.00 they make at their summer job?
  • Rebel g... betz 2012/06/26 14:02:56
    Rebel geek.
    IT SHOULD BE LOWER TO 13 YOU B!TCH
  • betz Rebel g... 2012/06/26 17:01:49
    betz
    +1
    My my aren't you the mature one? LOL See...that's why even 16 is too young an age to vote. Definitely NOT immature 13 year olds. LOL again. Have anice day playing with your Barbie dolls.
  • Selketskiss 2012/06/26 10:12:03
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Selketskiss
    +2
    It needs to be raised to 21 except for military personal ..
  • Stardust 2012/06/26 07:45:44
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/26 06:54:00
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I first voted in a Democrat Primary when I was 18. The voting age had just been lowered to that from 21. I enlisted in the Air Force and was just a bit ticked off when my absentee ballot did not get to me while I was in Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.

For the next thirty some years I thought that 18 was fine. That ended in 2009 when I started hearing all of the Seniors who had voted but had never held down a job, never owned property, never served in the Armed Forces but were excitedly voting for obama and swooning over his class-envy, redistribution of wealth ideas. I thought that something was definitely wrong then.

I begin to doubt the wisdom of even 18 year-olds voting unless they are either in the Armed Forces or own property (such as a house or business, this can include a ranch or farm) or hold down a full-time job paying taxes (and seeing their earnings being taken from them to be "re-distributed" to others).

When our country first started, men who had no "stake" in it, that is, no property, no business or such were not allowed to vote. While the owner of the brothel had a stake and could vote, the piano player in the brothel could not.

If that carried to modern times, say ten years ago, I owned a construction business and a house and could...

If that carried to modern times, say ten years ago, I owned a construction business and a house and could therefore vote. On the other hand, the "helper" who did not own a business and lived in his mother's basement would not be able to vote.

While I have misgivings about 18 year old voters who are still high school seniors, I'd rather we let that be the cutoff line than lowering it to 16. I work with 16 year-old young men and women most of the year and I can tell you that they are not mature enough to be wielding such power. Most 18 year-olds are not that mature but it would cause a lot of harm to kick it back up to 21.

Leave it at 18.
  • Prairie Wind 2012/06/26 05:31:06 (edited)
    Yes, they pay taxes.
    Prairie Wind
    +2
    (Edited - Clicked the 16 tab in error.)

Go for 21.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/06/26 03:57:06
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    TruBluTopaz
    +4
    Until you've worked at a job and paid some bills, you have no business voting.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/06/26 03:24:22
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    18 is young enough.
  • Boris Badinov 2012/06/25 23:35:12
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Boris Badinov
    +6
    ..it should be raised to 21.
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/25 22:07:20
  • Philo-Publius 2012/06/25 20:30:54
    Yes, they pay taxes.
    Philo-Publius
    They should be able to register with Nick Jr.
    swiper
    Swiper, no swiping (our right to vote)!
    Swiper, no swiping (our right to vote)!
    Swiper, no swiping (our right to vote)!

(For real though, yes. Sixteen is a reasonable age to be given the franchise.)
  • Patric 2012/06/25 20:17:25
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Patric
    +2
    damn, with all the idiots voting as it is ( look at the POTUS we got stuck with now ) do not need more .....
  • Ed 2012/06/25 19:53:02
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Ed
    +1
    Hell no it should be raised to at least 30 unless they pass a common sense test not given by anyone affiliated with the Public School system.

Teenagers are brain damaged, we all were brain damaged. Some remain brain damaged teenagers through their 20's too. LOL
  • Centuri... Ed 2012/06/26 06:58:10
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Raising it to 30 would actually remove some teachers from the voter rolls. What about military people?

When I served, I could vote and thought that I should. The only elections I remember missing were when my absentee ballot did not arrive.
  • Ed Centuri... 2012/06/26 14:14:37 (edited)
    Ed
    +1
    Military they pass a common sense test.

Teachers, that's a different story.

Some of them will pass a common sense test too, unfortunately most of them don't even know there are three branches to our government or separation of power.

Most of them have their own version of the 1st amendment which they try to enforce in our schools according to political correctness. They think it's bad to sing God Bless America because it has the words God and America or Yankee Doodle Dandy because it says do or die and real life nephew of Uncle Sam born on the 4th of July.

I had a teacher at a dinner party once ask why a man on the cover of a local magazine had the letters Esq. after his name. The man was a local attorney.
  • Centuri... Ed 2012/06/27 18:04:43
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I Served 22 years in the Air Force. Some places my absentee ballot never came. At others, it got there too late to mark and put on the next plane back. In the 92 election a bunch of ballots arrived on the base I was at out in the middle of a desert in the Middle East four days before the election. We marked them and found a couple of guys going to the embassy the next day. The guys took them and mailed them but I question if they ever got to the proper places before the election took place.

There are a few really sharp teachers that I know.

There are others with very little common sense.
  • Ed Centuri... 2012/06/27 18:52:25
    Ed
    +1
    I know what you mean by your absentee ballots. Believe me when you guys are out there there are many of us here concerned about that very subject.

You guys are out there risking everything, everything for us and of all things one being our right to vote and keep our Republic. To know there's a chance your vote may not be counted for no valid reason is an outrage.

Every time we hear there is a chance our military's votes may not be counted. We, as in our community, friends, neighbors, people I work with in the office and with the 9-12 project, people I remain in touch with to get the vote out and expose what the media doesn't. We feel outrage.

With all the technological advance there should not be a reason in this world why your vote, our military's votes should be in danger of not being counted. That is incomprehensible.

I know teachers like you say that are in it for real. The teacher at the dinner table, that was real too. I have had no complaints about my son's teachers. Even the principal where he attended high school, I can't find enough good things to say a bout the guy. There are teachers too that should not be in our schools, there are a lot of them. I know first hand.

Body language and expressions don't come across on postings like these so the humor and sarca...

Body language and expressions don't come across on postings like these so the humor and sarcasm is missed and I know that when i joke around or use sarcasm. All teachers have the right to vote regardless.

Voting age, drinking age, it should be adult age, right now it's 18. I don't agree but that is the law so if they change it back to 21 I think it would be great. There is a reason drinking age is 21 and not 18.

Centurion thank you for your service and indulging in my rants. God bless you and family.
  • Centuri... Ed 2012/06/27 20:13:55
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    May God bless you and your family as well my friend.

Warriors for our homes and families;

Native American Warrior

Native American Warrior
  • snipe 2012/06/25 17:41:06
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    snipe
    +5
    It should never have been lowered to 18.
  • Centuri... snipe 2012/06/26 07:00:25
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Probably not but that was the same year I turned 18 as well as the same year I enlisted in the Air Force.

You may recall that Vietnam was going on back then. A lot of us figured that if we were old enough to go there, then we ought to be old enough to vote on the people sending us there.
  • Selkets... snipe 2012/06/26 10:14:18
    Selketskiss
    +2
    I agree
  • Bakool 2012/06/25 16:33:32
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    Bakool
    It's not about paying taxes, it's about being informed and mature enough to not be swayed by bumper sticker campaign slogans.
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    +5
    NO. I say raise it to 21!
  • Centuri... Lady Wh... 2012/06/26 07:17:20
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    I salute your courage to say that Lady Whitewolf. While I think that raising it to 21 would be an intelligent move causing voters to be more mature and generally more grown up, we would still be "disenfranchising" millions of people. I do have misgivings about that. Perhaps a "compromise" would be to raise it to 21 gradually so that people in the 18-21 age group would not be "suddenly" dropped from the rolls but people under 21 who have not yet registered would not be able to register until they are 21.

What would you say to then cutting out people who do not have a "stake" such as those who do not own any property at all such as a house, a ranch, a farm, even a small business? While I own a house and a small business, I also know that such a move would take a lot of voters off of the rolls. Imagine a person being 40 but being dropped from the voter rolls because of not meeting the "propertied" requirement.

How about active duty military? Should they be able to vote? Perhaps enlisting might give a person automatic registration to vote upon graduation from basic training even at 18.

Please be assured that I'm not trying to put you on the spot. While we disagree on some things I consider you to be a very intelligent person and I really respect your opinion. I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    No, 16 is too young to vote.
    +6
    Raise it back to 21
    (with the exception of those serving in the Military in Uniform .. )
    and given that we now have dependents on our Health Insurance until 27 yrs of age ..
    hmm .. could be a possible impetus .. possible idea to raise it to that age too ..
  • Dagon 2012/06/25 15:55:12
  • Centuri... Dagon 2012/06/26 07:19:49
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    You are certainly right on that. I know of one 17 year old freshman and another fellow, last time I saw him he was a 16 year old 6th grader about to fail again. Let those two vote? Big mistake!
  • Dagon Centuri... 2012/06/26 11:10:48
  • Rebel g... Centuri... 2012/06/26 14:04:29
    Rebel geek.
    they should let us vote when we pass MS because some people graduate early
  • betz Rebel g... 2012/06/26 17:03:42
    betz
    +1
    But you're only 13...
  • Rebel g... betz 2012/09/03 11:48:01
    Rebel geek.
    yea but i will be hs in 2013 so yea
  • Centuri... Rebel g... 2012/06/27 18:12:05
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    You are kind of young I think. When you get to be 21, think back on it. At 58, I think that it might have been a mistake to lower the age to 18. For the military serving, 18 is fine but not for kids still in school. Maybe think on it again when you are 30 as well. It will be here before you know it.

Your'e so bored? How about take a day and go visit some of the veterans at your nearest VA Hospital? They would love to have some company and will also give you an education you will not get in a classroom.

Best to you cute teen 13.
  • wolf sloan 2012/06/25 15:39:16
    Yes, they pay taxes.
    wolf sloan
    +2
    In lieu of age requirements, how about imposing IQ requirements?

2014/08/02 00:33:29