Should the U.S. Military Allow Women to Serve in Combat?

Newsmax 2013/02/05 19:00:00
The U.S. public largely backs the Pentagon's decision to lift restrictions on women in combat, a national poll has found. Sixty-six percent of those polled said they support letting women serve in ground units that engage in close combat, while 26 percent are opposed, according to the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press and the Washington Post. How do you feel about this hot-button issue? Voice your opinion now.

NEWSMAX.COM reports:
U.S. Public Largely Backs Combat Role for Women - Poll
women in combat

Read More: http://www.newsmax.com/US/poll-majority-supports-w...

• John Ram 2013/02/05 17:05:43
    No. Women can't perform at the same physical level as men. It would endanger ...
    John Ram
    +15
    Even women who can meet the physical fitness standards get injured far more. Even with women barred from the most dangerous jobs now, they still require THREE TIMES as many medical evacuations per person as men. That is not a good thing to have going on during combat

http://www.washingtontimes.co...

• IAmMoreAwesomeThanU 2013/05/06 18:31:20
    IAmMoreAwesomeThanU
    As much as I believe in equal rights, common sense has taken over and told me that women should not be on the front lines. Here's a short list of reasons why-

1.) Men are physically bigger and stronger.

2.)M en have less compassion (because they evolved to kill things without having to feel bad about it).

3.) Women can get raped (By soldiers of either side). This is bad because it can (possibly) increase the risk of her having PTSD and also bad because the military would be liable for the phsical and emotional damages, thus, would have to pay a pretty penny.

4.) Since all the hot ones would die in combat, we would be left with the ugly fat ones.

5.) When has a woman EVER made a logical decision? Or admitted she was wrong? Exactly.

6.) Japan used highly skilled female warriors in combat. As we all know, Japan is still the military powerhouse that it was long ago. Oh, wait- Never mind...

7.) "That time of the month"
  • Aleksandr 2013/02/26 02:03:58
    Yes. Any woman who can meet the requirements for combat should be allowed to ...
    Aleksandr
    More troops = better!
  • Jrogers 2013/02/22 19:07:06
    Jrogers
    Apparently that is exactly what they have been doing for some time. They have just been denied certain promotions- so that issue has been corrected
  • MikeWon 2013/02/20 15:59:32
  • Keith Raney 2013/02/19 05:36:00
    Keith Raney
    Women should be able to serve in combat as long as they pass strenuous physical challenges in boot camp and other training programs.
  • James Adams 2013/02/17 21:54:56
    James Adams
    The yes choice says is it all.
  • vinone 2013/02/17 15:27:07
    vinone
    If they are physically and emotionally able, just like a man needs to be physically and emotionally able, I see no reason why they shouldn't.
  • Jere 2013/02/15 23:27:17
    Jere
    +1
    We don't need tampons on the battlefield.
  • lol fakename 2013/02/15 06:01:34
    lol fakename
    +1
    I really, really want to say yes. I don't enjoy being in any crowd saying there's things women can and can't do. But some women already do end up serving in direct combat, and every statistic suggests they're not as effective as men, no matter the training.
    There's three occupations women just aren't well suited for. King, freak show entertainer who hangs things off of their penis, and this.
  • 1Redshirtxlg 2013/02/14 21:24:40
    1Redshirtxlg
    +2
    Men are expendable and women are precious to society. That being said, if a woman meets the same standard as a man, then by all means. The bottom line is that men fight wars because they can be replaced. A man can populate a city. A single woman can only have so many children every 9 months despite her body containing thousands of eggs.
  • christopher gray 2013/02/14 13:51:21 (edited)
    christopher gray
    +1
    B- SOME women can't, but SOME women can, just as SOME MEN CAN'T, but some can.

Let's now fast forward to 2013, and say that some PEOPLE are fit for combat, and some PEOPLE are not.

I say give everyone the opportunity to sign up, and let MEPS, Boot Camp and the School of Infantry (or Army "equivilant") weed out the weak PEOPLE.

My Platoon in Boot Camp started with 80 MEN, and graduated with under 40, and I personally know many women who are capable of physically outperforming many of the fat, slow, and sloppy InfantryMEN that presently disgrace my formation and uniform

C- Seriously? If those are your views, you need to... I don't know, educate yourself, or something.

Welcome Sisters, NOW RUCK UP, AND STEP IT OUT!!!
  • Fun-sized 2013/02/13 15:50:26
    Fun-sized
    +1
    Keep the same standards and give them the chance to prove they can handle it if it's what they want to do. I don't see why gender should matter more than physical and mental strength.
  • Koatz 2013/02/12 21:01:39
    Koatz
    +1
    Wishful thinking will not enable women to perform at the same physical and psychological level as men, especially during front-line combat.
  • Nicholas DeShane 2013/02/12 09:51:42
    Nicholas DeShane
    They also should have to sign up for the draft, I do not care if it is a good idea or bad idea. If women are at less of a risk when it comes to facing possible combat during war then it is unfair they get the same voting power when voting in the people that decide on whether or not we go to war. Equal rights must come with equal responsibility else it is not really equality.
  • Jere Nichola... 2013/02/15 23:29:53
    Jere
    Yeah right tubby.
  • Nichola... Jere 2013/02/16 17:42:19
    Nicholas DeShane
    Ad hominem, wow you must be an engrosing, charismatic man with great wit and a sagely wisdom beyond your years to muster such a profoundly insightfull retort to my elegantly formed well thought out argument. Seriously have you thought about forming a religion as your wondrousness reminds one of Ell Ron Hubbard, and I am sure unlike your morality twin Ronny Hubbard you would not be found dead on an island full of half naked twelve year old boys. How about you go troll the shallower depths of this site before you gorge your self on more excrement, dullard..
  • Jere Nichola... 2013/02/16 18:21:08
    Jere
    Looks to me like you have had your share bozo. Tell me about your military experiences.
  • Nichola... Nichola... 2013/02/16 19:05:33
    Nicholas DeShane
    This is in response to Jere, I would have replied to his post but alas the buffoon believes he can make it look like he won an argument he is ill-equipped for by challenging someone then blocking them so they can not respond, in my opinion such a tactic is pathetic and pedantic. Not that he knows what pedantic is. In response to your post Jere I have no military experience, I suppose your right I must have no business having an opinion on this subject I mean Dr King and Gandhi had no experience in the military, and I am sure they had no opinion about military actions........ oh wait they did, and their opinions were valued by society way more then yours. I do however have a personal project, I am trying to invent a portable rail cannon much like the ones used on battle ships it is still in the blue print stage and I literally started a week ago but the research is proving interesting, the problem is generating enough electromagnetic force to fire a fosforos metallic projectile in a portable apparatus, but I have the idea to use electromagnets to highly compress an elctroreactive gas and use the pressure to fire a much lighter ceramic bullet, as an ex military guy you must also be applying your considerable intellect to trying to give our soldiers better tools so, what are your projects?
  • Ben Nichola... 2013/02/19 03:11:32
    Ben
    +1
    Actually Ghandi served as a stretcher bearer for the British army during the Boer War (the same war that saw a young Winston Churchill captured by the Boers) so he did have some knowledge of the horrors of the battlefield. But I agree with everything else that you said!
  • Oceanside 2013/02/11 22:17:52
    Oceanside
    Seems like a no brainer
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2013/02/11 15:03:35
    Women have got enough equal rights. Combat is a man's job, and women should b...
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    This is all Kabuki Theater!!!!!
    Women have been serving in combat
    for a very long time now!
    American people are really getting to be
    brainless wonders. :(
    American female POW in Viet Nam American female in Viet Nam American female in Iraq American female in Iraq American female pow in Iraq
  • No One 2013/02/10 16:12:16
    No One
    +1
    But I don't think there should be any adjustments for women meaning that the requirements for them should be the same as for men to serve whether than being lower. I do think though that if a female can meet the requirements without any adjustments in terms of the requirements she should be allowed to serve in combat.
  • JDLogan 2013/02/10 02:36:09
    JDLogan
    +3
    But I do mean those women (and men, for that matter) that can pass ALL the physical requirements and psychological evaluations for whatever military (or civilian) job they want. No separate standards, no adjustments, you can do it or you can't.

While we're at it, we need to make both the physical and mental requirements tougher, re-evaluate the troops we have, and trim our military back to its correct role of national defense and security, rather than world policing and nation building.
  • castronitus 2013/02/09 06:43:57
    castronitus
    I don't see why there would be some reason to turn someone down the opportunity to protect their country,their freedoms, and for YOUR sake if they can properly do what is asked of them.

Then again that's just me...
  • Carl 2013/02/08 04:34:09
    Carl
    +2
    However, to avoid tension, it should be an all women unit.
  • Bocephus 2013/02/07 23:18:48
  • NarcolepticGoat 2013/02/07 19:06:09
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    It's not like they haven't been for the last decade.
  • Todd Pa... Narcole... 2013/02/08 19:21:42
    Todd Parsons
    +1
    Democrats say women are incapable of defending themselves
  • Narcole... Todd Pa... 2013/02/08 20:12:56
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Not me. I'm all for teaching every female how to cripple any attacker.

But then I'm not registered with either party.

Go to your nearest Army post and count the percentage of female soldiers with unit patches on their right arms.
  • andrew.wilson.123276 2013/02/07 18:38:06
    andrew.wilson.123276
    +4
    I just want to personally slap everyone who chose the third option for being ignorant and sexist.
  • Cheshir... andrew.... 2013/02/07 20:19:51
    Cheshire348
    +1
    Amen to that!
  • Todd Pa... andrew.... 2013/02/08 19:22:06
    Todd Parsons
    +1
    Democrats say women are incapable of defending themselves .... just saying
  • andrew.... Todd Pa... 2013/02/09 02:35:19
    andrew.wilson.123276
    +1
    Never heard that and i have been surrounded by democrats and liberals all of my life. I know many girls who have black belts and one who has multiple and she could probably cripple/knock out/kill most grown men
  • Todd Pa... andrew.... 2013/02/11 13:43:40
  • andrew.... Todd Pa... 2013/02/12 00:26:37
    andrew.wilson.123276
    +1
    Can you produce more than one person because their are always crazy people on both sides.
  • Todd Pa... andrew.... 2013/02/12 14:55:54
    Todd Parsons
    She's an elected official....so MANY must agree with her
  • christo... Todd Pa... 2013/02/14 14:04:41
    christopher gray
    +2
    Dianne Feinstein? Like let's-disarm-America-Dianne-F... Condemning the use of guns? Well that seems like an unbiased opinion spoken from the heart with no agenda...
  • Joseph Mallery 2013/02/07 15:37:05
    Joseph Mallery
    +2
    I have learned in my martial arts class that it's about technique, not strength
  • csrdrunner 2013/02/07 12:39:36
    csrdrunner
    +2
    NFL players react to Obama's opinions on football

"I think that those of us who love the sport are going to have to wrestle with the fact that it will probably change gradually to try to reduce some of the violence," he added. "In some cases, that may make it a little bit less exciting, but it will be a whole lot better for the players, and those of us who are fans maybe won't have to examine our consciences quite as much."

http://www.timesonline.com/sp...

_____________________________

my opinion only:

"...reduce some of the violence..." but o thinks it is OK for females to fight on the front lines hmmmmmm!!!!
  • BornToBeWild 2013/02/07 07:37:55 (edited)
    BornToBeWild
    +1
    Equal Rights are exactly that...EQUAL RIGHTS! However, those rights should be restricted from pregnancies!

2014/09/22 06:31:05