Should the U.S. be split into TWO countries?

P-Funk 2009/02/15 05:50:36
These are the UNITED States ... We have to work out a way to remain ONE country in which people are free to follow their own beliefs with little or no interference.
This is a DEMOCRACY ... you can't always have your way, and if your party isn't in power right now, you'd just better learn to like it.
It's time for CHANGE ... Everyone has the right to live under a political and economic system that is consistent with their most strongly-held values, so it's time for TWO Americas.
I've got a better IDEA!  Here's what we could do so everyone can live under a system of government that supports their values and beliefs ...
Most polls show that the U.S. is extremely polarized, with about 40-45% of the people holding strongly "liberal" values (strong federal government, socialistic economy, secular views, etc.), a roughly equal number holding strongly "conservative" values (limited federal goverment, free-market economy, religious views, etc.), and the remaining 10-20% falling somewhere in between.

Many of the views of these groups are mutually exclusive. For example, a highly-regulated economic system is incompatible with a free-market system. There is no practical way to reconcile "pro-life" and "pro-choice" laws. There is no practical way to reconcile secular values and religious values. There is no way to promulgate a "liberal" agenda without "conservatives" feeling that their rights (to life, firearms possession, public expression of religious views, etc.) are being trampled on, and there is no way to promulgate a "conservative" agenda without "liberals" feeling their rights (to reproductive choice, control of firearms, freedom from religious dogma, etc.) being similarly trampled.

50 years ago, the differences between "liberal" and "conservative" views of political issues were relatively minor, but the gap has steadily widened over the past few decades, so that no the differences have become irreconcilable.

It seems like there are only two alternatives to resolve these differences: (1) for whichever political group is currently in power to attempt to impose its values on the other, or (2) for the U.S. to be divided into two nations -- one based on "liberal" ideology and the other on "conservative" ideals.

Which do YOU think we should do?

• suzieq_s 2010/08/24 10:41:06
    This is a DEMOCRACY ... you can't always have your way, and if your party isn...
    suzieq_s
    +3
    When conservatives are in power the liberals complain, when the liberals are in power the conservatives complain, you can't please everyone all the time, get off your high-horse and accept it! Also, conservatives usually end up spending more and doing less than liberals do. But that's just my opinion.

• deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO... 2014/01/16 15:22:38
    deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO-t- B
    well, I can see that it sounds like an awesome idea, but progs, are never happy with what they have, they are constantly wanting more, so no it would not work.
  • Prophet 2014/01/16 15:17:03
    These are the UNITED States ... We have to work out a way to remain ONE count...
    Prophet
    If the elected officials would stick by their commitment to abide by the constitution there would not be a problem.
  • Buster BM 2012/02/16 23:09:25
    Buster BM
    I think it could be done. The Left/progressive side could have the entire West coast, the east coast down to Virginia, Hawaii, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, New Mexico, and Colorado. They could have central top down government, progressive taxes, no school choice, open borders, no ID laws etc, cradle to grave entitlements. Not that those are bad, but just some of their core values.

The Right/conservative/libertarians could have the entire east coast from Virginia south, Ok, Az, Ut, Mt, Id, Wy, ND, SD, NB, Iowa could go either way...up to their voters. The Right/Libertarians would have ID laws, a flat/fair tax, school choice, bottom up government, lots of LEGAL immigration with strong borders, freedom of and from religion, SOME form of government health care, etc. Not that these are good or bad core values, just pointing out their values.

I think it could work.....but I don't think we will ever see it. I think most libertarians/conservatives don't see the Left/progressives as evil/vile/stupid people, but there doesn't seem to the same consideration coming from the Left to the other side....just my .02......
  • suzieq_s 2010/08/24 10:41:06
    suzieq_s
    +3
  • janet 2010/04/06 13:58:33
    janet
    I find your statements to be naive and some what delusional, for instance "highly-regulated economic system is incompatible with a free-market". How do you believe the banking debacle came about?----I'm pretty sure your answer will lack in facts even tho I think you are one of the people on soda head that actually has read history books.
  • P-Funk janet 2010/04/06 20:43:16
    P-Funk
    The banking debacle came about by excessive and ineffectual regulation of the banking and mortgage industries. I didn't read THAT in a history book. I teach graduate economics. I watched it happening, I predicted a decade ago that it would happen, and voila! It happened almost exactly as I predicted. Being proven right by history time and again is neither naive nor delusional. It's simply brilliance! ;-)
  • suzieq_s P-Funk 2010/08/24 10:43:47
    suzieq_s
    The banking debacle came about by non-regulation not excessive. They were given free-reign and weren't monitored at all during Bush Admin. There was no oversight whatsoever then.
  • Bronx at Night 2010/03/03 06:54:23
    Bronx at Night
    +2
    As long as conservatives/ patriots can claim the warm places.

Everyone else can share Alaska.

. undecided conservatives patriots claim warm places share alaska
  • P-Funk Bronx a... 2010/03/03 15:01:21 (edited)
    P-Funk
    +1
    LOL. That map is hilarious! As long as we don't claim ONLY the warm places. Heat is overrated and seasons are wonderful to behold. I'd like to be able to stay in the Midwest or the Mountain States and not have to move somewhere muggy and sweltering. :-)

We should also keep Alaska for the scenic beauty and oil reserves.
  • Steven Bronx a... 2010/09/24 12:10:15
    Steven
    +1
    Know what's wrong with so many people who live in the heat? Their blood has literally evaporated and they don't even know they are dead yet. Try living in Florida! Ya got old people killing people with their cars and they drive home with someone stuck in their windshield. Republicans don't care about the heat. They just want their lunch money!
  • calawyer 2009/11/16 06:42:53 (edited)
    It's time for CHANGE ... Everyone has the right to live under a political and...
    calawyer
    Let the Reich-ing have their own country. They can outlaw abortion,
    forbid same sex marriage, teach Intelligent Design in biology classes,
    withhold health care coverage, start futile wars, listen to Rush
    Limbaugh, give their kids 5th rate educations, dissolve the "socialist" libraries & police & fire departments, pollute the environment (well,we may still have to do something about that) , and turn everyone but
    the super rich into serfs. Then let’s see who “God” favors!!!
  • P-Funk calawyer 2009/11/19 05:16:37
    P-Funk
    Sounds like Paradise to me! Where do I sign up?

One correction: I work in college admissions and I can tell you that home-schooled kids far and away out-perform all others. Say what you will about the backwoods, right-wing, Bible-thumpers, but that bunch of rank amateurs teach their kids far better than the "professionals" in both our public and private school systems.
  • Redneck 2009/08/18 02:48:44
    Redneck
    I think so, we'll feed and protect the pinko liberal commies when the bread lines reach about 5 city blocks.
  • Alieska 2009/05/19 00:02:01
    Alieska
    +1
    This country was founded by radical liberals who broke off with their current form of government (tyrannical England) and set up a government with republican views so if anyone says the founding fathers are liberal or conservative your dumb they are both depending on how you view it. And as a liberal I am saying the government needs to take a step back and leave more power to the states (the reason for the Bill of Rights less power to the national government)
  • P-Funk Alieska 2009/05/19 01:38:13
    P-Funk
    +1
    Thanks for posting. It's nice to see that someone is still reading -- and THINKING -- about this!
  • Vintage 2009/05/09 04:25:03
    Vintage
    if this country continues to divide itsself the way it had then splitting may work well. I know i dont want to live in a china-esq place! I wouldnt mind splitting. but where? the conter is conservative and the coasts are liberal. tuff. haha. unless we all move...
    but i wish we can stay as one...because the united states is such a great place..or we have the resources to be..
  • MikeTX 2009/04/26 12:00:16
    I've got a better IDEA! Here's what we could do so everyone can live under a...
    MikeTX
    +1
    A better idea is that the libs leave!
  • Bear 2009/04/16 07:56:09 (edited)
    Bear
    +2
    Send the moonbats to that perfect socialist paradise, Canada! Or to Cuba, now that obie's kissing Castro butt....

BTW, inre that last choice.... This is NOT a democracy, It's a Representative Republic with safeguards AGAINST unbridled democracy, which is basically mob rule.
  • P-Funk Bear 2009/04/18 16:38:28
    P-Funk
    You're right -- the US was a republic. That choice was my idiot-catcher, and thankfully everyone who responded was too smart to fall for it.
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/19 01:27:43
    Bear
    Hoop-la! And be nice with the name of Funk.... It's a family name on my mother's side. They were "funky" before music was!
  • P-Funk Bear 2009/04/19 02:24:56
    P-Funk
    You bet I'm gonna be nice to this name. I've got Funkhousers on my grandma's side of the family. They was a whole HOUSE full of funky! Funk isn't just music; it's a way of life!
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/19 02:28:10
    Bear
    Whoa, REALLY? I've got Funkhousers on my DAD's side! Too wild! Maybe we're related somehow...
  • P-Funk Bear 2009/04/19 02:34:58
    P-Funk
    The most famous of MY Funkhousers was Fred Funkhouser (stage name Fred Hurley), the man who gave Bob Hope his start in vaudeville.
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/19 02:38:10
    Bear
    Cool. Mine married into the family and was a truck driver with a big bucket of coolness.
  • P-Funk Bear 2009/04/19 02:48:38
    P-Funk
    Cool and Funk(houser) just go together, don't they? My Uncle Fred was one cool dude, too.
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/19 05:36:43
    Bear
    Yeah, except for ONE thing.... That dopey song by Wild Cherry. Every time I hear it, I want to paraphrase a Cleavon Little line...

"Watch that BOY shit, honkey...."
    A bear's gotta draw the line somewhere...
  • P-Funk Bear 2009/04/20 13:25:42
    P-Funk
    There's pure, uncut funk ... and there's the cheap imitation. That's why Bootsy said, "If you fake the funk your nose's GOT to grow" (Pinocchio Theory).
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/21 02:38:25
    Bear
    Like Woody said in "Earth Girls are Easy":
    "Does Pinoccio have a wooden butt?"
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2009/03/19 01:04:51
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +2
    Say no to socialism and communism!
  • Clay 2009/03/17 14:35:20
    Clay
    +2
    The socialist have to go. They are conditioned idiots unable to reason that SOCIALISM is not only a doctrine of ENSLAVEMENT, its a lie that doesn't work. It was created by a guy (marx) who didn't like to work, and is used by power hungry athiests to wrest control of the government from working capitalists.
  • P-Funk 2009/02/26 16:49:47
    P-Funk
    I'm still undecided how best to resolve the intense and growing divide in American ideologies. I posted this question hoping to spark some interesting discussion. I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses that were given. I just wish there had been many, many more ...
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/16 07:57:10
    Bear
    I just found this, or I would have answered earlier.
  • zyledr 2009/02/16 04:39:46
    zyledr
    That's why we have different states. That's why the federal government isn't supposed to have so much power as well. Each state is supposed to be different. Like a different brand. People are supposed to be left to choose the best one. Think of it in terms of economics. The more players there are the "better bang for the buck", the consumer will get. Unfortunately the federal government is destroying this by withholding funds for states if they don't comply with federal standards.

I do like the idea of the free state project although I think it's probably to little to late.
    http://freestateproject.org/
  • P-Funk zyledr 2009/02/16 14:21:54
    P-Funk
    +1
    Yeah, this was one of the major issues of the first civil war -- states' rights. The Constitution envisioned a weak central (federal) government, with each state functioning much like an independent nation, so there would be freedom of choice. But within 50+ years, the federal government had taken a much stronger role, so the Conferate States seceded. The USA then invaded, conquered, and reassimilated the CSA. The federal government has been taking an increasingly powerful (and some would say repressive) role ever since.

A return to the original constitutional intent would solve the problem, but is it realistic to expect, when 40% or more of the people favor a strong federal government?
  • greek 2009/02/15 07:18:16
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/02/15 06:51:35
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    I really don't have a 'good idea.' I just wanted to say that this country already fought that battle to split this country in two. It didn't work.
  • P-Funk ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/02/16 00:22:34
    P-Funk
    +2
    If you're referring to the secession of the Confederate states, the only reason it didn't work is because the United States invaded and conquered the CSA. While most of us would agree that the policies of the CSA toward slavery were wrong, the fact of the matter is that the USA invaded and conquered a sovereign nation that had lawfully seceded. If the CSA had instead been granted the same diplomatic status as other nations, who knows how history would now view it?
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ P-Funk 2009/02/16 01:46:27
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    And I disagree
  • P-Funk ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/02/16 04:12:21
    P-Funk
    +1
    That's nice. Do you have a reason?
  • Bear P-Funk 2009/04/19 02:31:16
    Bear
    +1
    England was SUPPOSED to back up the CSA, but they wimped out.

2014/10/25 12:43:49