Should The United States Return To Back Room Coat Hanger Abortions

Kent the Roofer 2009/06/02 08:27:03
No.
Yes.
I do not believe in abortion, however I do support a woman's right to choose.
After the recent killing of an abortion provider, there is now an open debate occurring within our country about the fanaticism of the pro life movement. The accused killer was found in possession of Operation Rescue literature, and allegedly had close relations with its leaders.
Prior the SCOTUS decision in Roe v. Wade, abortion was illegal throughout the United States. Yet, thousands of abortions were performed by unskilled non medical "providers". Many women died as a result. Their bodies were found dumped by the "provider".
If abortion is again made illegal in the United States, do you believe it would actually end all abortions? I think not. It would only recreate a black market which was eliminated by the Roe decision.
Should the United States return to back room coat hanger abortions?

• SparkleyPie 2009/06/02 13:29:06
    No.
    SparkleyPie
    +15
    Absolutely not! That's exactly what will happen if the zealots have their way, too.

I find it interesting that the other countries who have outlawed abortion are the same countries these zealots see as our enemies... Theocratic countries in the Middle East. It seems they have a lot more in common with the "terrorists" than they have differences.

• Karen Bellaart 2009/07/08 02:46:25
    No.
    Karen Bellaart
    +1
    Of course not! This procedure is unhealthy and risky; it would be taking a huge step backwards for the development of the United States. procedure unhealthy risky huge step development united
  • heavenfirechris 2009/07/03 07:31:01
    No.
    heavenfirechris
    No. The USA ... and all countries ...should 'return' to God's instructions. It's the only way to get the best for Mom's life, baby's life, nation's life. Amen. All who want to receive, come to the front now and raise your hands.. :)
  • Razia 2009/06/23 20:39:21
    No.
    Razia
    +1
    Firstly, "turning back" is negating progress. If anything, an honest compromise should occur to resolve a woman's rights and choices. Men don't have babies or the complications attached.
  • KendraJae 2009/06/23 19:29:39
    No.
    KendraJae
    and if the women decide to go to them and end up dead, well its thier choice!
  • Fat&Greasy 2009/06/10 04:46:12
    No.
    Fat&Greasy
    +1
    Absolutely not! I agree that banning abortion will not stop abortions from happening. We would be seeing women and girls dying in frightening numbers.
  • KendraJae Fat&Greasy 2009/06/23 19:35:59
    KendraJae
    its their choice though!
  • Fat&Greasy KendraJae 2009/06/24 03:29:10
    Fat&Greasy
    +2
    I disagree, KendraJae. Anyone choosing to have an abortion is choosing to have a medical procedure that should be safe, not choosing to die.
  • KendraJae Fat&Greasy 2009/06/25 02:39:08
    KendraJae
    well i disagree also...because any woman who has an abortion is only getting what she deserves...
    whats good for the goose is good for the gander!
    if she goes to a doctor to KILL her baby and she dies, well thats what the gander gets...
  • Fat&Greasy KendraJae 2009/06/25 14:44:53
    Fat&Greasy
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I will admit that I'm more than a little appalled at your statement, however. To say that someone who wants an abortion deserves to die doesn't sound particularly 'pro-life' to me ... but that, of course, is just *my* opinion. One thing I know, however, is that I can't carry on a conversation with someone who would cheerfully wish death on anyone, so I'm going to wish you a good day and bow out.
  • KendraJae Fat&Greasy 2009/06/25 15:54:25
    KendraJae
    i am not wishing death on anyone...what i said was that if the woman decides to have an aboriton and and she dies in the process, then she has gotten her just reward...
    thats not wishing death upon her, that wishing a lesson on her...
    and i am only pro-life when it comes to the life of a baby...
    murderers get the chair, and i'm all for that...
  • Fat&Greasy KendraJae 2009/06/25 20:03:51
    Fat&Greasy
    Alright, you get one last comment:

"thats not wishing death upon her, that wishing a lesson on her... "

It's hard to learn a lesson if you're dead.
  • KendraJae Fat&Greasy 2009/06/26 11:42:35
    KendraJae
    lesson learned!
  • Kristel... KendraJae 2009/07/03 04:54:28 (edited)
    Kristelle~Disposable Teen
    +1
    I'm for the rights of an already-born and living woman, and if the woman does not want a clump of cells growing inside her, then it's her right to have access to safe and legal abortion. The woman is living and has rights, the embryo is living in the sense that bacteria is living, and therefore does not have rights.
  • KendraJae Kristel... 2009/07/09 13:07:33
    KendraJae
    if she doesnt want "a bunch of cells growing in her" then she shoud keep her legs closed...
    and if she decides to go and commit murder then she deserves to get what ever she has coming to her, just like any other murderer...
  • Kristel... KendraJae 2009/07/09 13:12:21
    Kristelle~Disposable Teen
    Contraception sometimes fails. Rape happens. Abortion is needed in our society.

I think we disagree on a fundamental level, however-- I do not believe that an embryo is alive in the way that a born human (or even a later-term fetus) is, and therefore I do not consider it 'murder', just like I don't consider washing your hands and killing bacteria is murder.
  • KendraJae Kristel... 2009/07/09 13:25:40 (edited)
    KendraJae
    i agree in abortion in cases of rape and incest...
    but not as a form of birth control...and a lot of people use it for that purpose...
    i know rape happens but getting drunk or wasted one night and two weeks later you find out your pregnant is your own fault..."IF YOU PLAY YOU PAY"
    if you are to wasted to make sure your diaphram is in straight or you "boyfriends" rubber is on good then you are to drunk to be opening your legs and hoping you dont get pregnant...
    or if you get pissed off at your boyfriend/husband, you dont go get rid of the baby no matter how far aong it has developed...
    thats ignorant and shoud not be allowed...
    rape and incest are the only choices a woman should have in the affair of her unborn child...
    if she doesnt like those choices, there shouldnt be a doctor out there that can perform abortions just cause shes having a bad day...
  • Kristel... KendraJae 2009/07/09 13:33:03
    Kristelle~Disposable Teen
    Not really, it's rarely used as a form of birth control. It's used as a last resort.

NEVER blame a rape victim. Don't EVER say that. Rape is NEVER the victim's fault, it's ALWAYS the rapist's.

No one gets an abortion because they're "having a bad day". That's just silly.
  • KendraJae Kristel... 2009/07/09 13:38:19
    KendraJae
    i did NOT blame the rape victim...re-read please!
    and yes there are those sickos out there that just because they get in a really bad argument with their significant other, goes out and has an abortion becasue they think they may break up...
    thats a bad day in my book...
    and i know people who use it as a form of birth control...
    an abortion every six months to a year saves a ton of cash on rubbers and pills and everything else that MIGHT help you not get pregnant.
  • Kristel... KendraJae 2009/07/09 13:42:23 (edited)
    Kristelle~Disposable Teen
    You said, "i know rape happens but getting drunk or wasted one night and two weeks later you find out your pregnant is your own fault..."IF YOU PLAY YOU PAY""

That would be blaming a rape victim.

And maybe the people who get an abortion because they break up is because they can't take care of a kid on their own. Plus, it would only be first trimester abortions performed because of this.

Condoms are pretty cheap, and sometimes even free. Abortions aren't. I don't see how that would save money.
  • jenlduu 2009/06/10 04:34:48
    No.
    jenlduu
    +1
    I was around when abortions were illegal. Didn't stop women from having them. Making abortions illegal will not prevent abortions. I beleive the whole movement is a anti-woman movement as women are the ones who are going to die if abortions are illegal again. Come on people, this has already been tried and it didn't work. All women should stand up and sat NO to the anti-abrotion fanatics.
  • Nairb 2009/06/07 18:49:52
    Nairb
    As there never was a rash of back room abortions it would be hard to return to it.
    One of the founders of the group that became NARAL, which convinced NY to pass the first "Abortion rights laws" admitted that they made all of their data up. They nitwit politicians will believe anything. As will others.

A great deal of the Neolib data is fabricated, as were many of the individuals they brought forth to tell their personal stories. So as to promote the NEW policies. They were lying.
  • Fat&Greasy Nairb 2009/06/10 04:48:22
    Fat&Greasy
    +1
    Talk to the families of the dead and see how much was 'made up.'
  • Nairb Fat&Greasy 2009/06/13 06:57:50
  • Fat&Greasy Nairb 2009/06/13 14:19:48 (edited)
    Fat&Greasy
    +1
    I checked your sites. I would have preferred to see info from sites that aren't so heavily skewed to one side or the other, but I went with what you gave me and then followed up with somewhat more 'fair and balanced' reporting.

In just an hour of research, I found questionable information from two of your sites (hospitals listed as performing abortions at times when those hospitals were no longer open, for example), and seemingly willful misinterpretation of data on others: yes, Bernard Nathanson stated that the out-sized numbers about women dying from irresponsibly-performed illegal abortions were inflated. He *doesn't* say there were no deaths. If fact, many anti-abortion sites that are happy to point to his admission go on to provide more accurate numbers ... numbers that are still high, still unacceptable, still numbers I wouldn't want to see us return to. http://www.abortionfacts.com

Before you make assumptions about what I do and don't know ("You got any names? thought so."), you should check your own facts.

To say that women didn't die from illegal abortions (and aren't *still* dying from both illegal and carelessly-performed legal abortions) is both inaccurate and cruel. Sending me to sites that list the names of dead women doesn't change my view. It strengthens my convicti...

To say that women didn't die from illegal abortions (and aren't *still* dying from both illegal and carelessly-performed legal abortions) is both inaccurate and cruel. Sending me to sites that list the names of dead women doesn't change my view. It strengthens my conviction that abortion needs to be fully legal so that all providers are held to the same rigid standards for safety and follow-up.
  • Nairb Fat&Greasy 2009/06/28 16:57:26
    Nairb
    Your the one that wanted to talk to the families!
    I guess that was just another straw argument. I should send you to the genocidal planned parent hood site.
    Margret Sanger was a racist that wanted to reduce the population of minorities and others she considered inferior. Hitler had similar ideas but not as much success.

And you have no clue as to what I believe or think should be. You are not informed.

Abortion will never be illegal, but it truly should be limited and not a for profit industry of the racists at planned parenthood, which include the sale of baby parts. Can't do animal testing now can we?
  • Fat&Greasy Nairb 2009/06/28 20:17:53
    Fat&Greasy
    I see any straw in my argument. I asked you for info, you sent me some, and I checked into it. Aside from the names of women, I didn't find any ironclad data in the sites you sent me. Neither of the sites that purported to provide the comments of 'families' had information from the families. I didn't deny that there was some information in the sites you linked to, only that the information was flawed in several obvious ways.

And yes, I know about Margaret Sanger and her eugenic leanings (and I completely disagree with your assessment that Hitler was less successful). I also know about the recent incident with an offer of funding specifically to abort black babies. Both of these things are offensive. Neither makes me think that abortion should be illegal.

Our conversation has been over for a week. I'm surprised to find your reply here. We have both stated our positions, and that seems to be all that can happen here. I will convince you of nothing. Neither will you convince me. I wish you well.
  • lucky 2009/06/04 21:06:03
    lucky
    They never stopped in the first place, a good percentage of abortion clinics are little more than drive by coat hanger abortion stops in the first place.
  • Superman 2009/06/04 20:53:16
    Superman
    Just like a pro lifer would create a loaded, emotionally charged frame for a question - so have you joined their ranks.

Roe was a poor ruling. States should have the authority to set regulations and requirements for the procedure. Some states would have lax restrictions and others would be tight. The thing is that if you look at how personal this issue is having 9 people decide it without answering the simplist of questions on the topic is poor democracy.

We have one side that clearly believes this is an issue of life and death. We have another that clearly believes this is an issue of privacy.

Where the rubber meets the road is that a fetus is at teh very least a potential life. While the mother should certainly have a number of rights, we as a nation do our best to try and keep people from infringing on the rights of others. Since that is a question for more than jsut an individual - but for a whole community to decide when life begins and what rights are paramount this should be a state by state issue for the voters.

I'm neutral. I have a nuanced opinion regarding the procedure but I appreciate the grander scheme of whats at stake and more than that I understand the rights that we as citizens should have in situations like this.

Adding fuel to the fire with comme...""""'

Adding fuel to the fire with comments like "should we go back to back alley abortions" or "should we continue the mass genocide of innocent children" isn't helpful no matter how fervently you believe in your cause.
  • Fat&Greasy Superman 2009/06/10 04:53:23
    Fat&Greasy
    +2
    "States should have the authority to set regulations and requirements for the procedure. Some states would have lax restrictions and others would be tight."

This statement interests me. I agree with you: if the decision were left only to the states, each state's rules would be different. But that is precisely why I think the decison *shouldn't* be left to the states. That's too arbitrary. If I were a rape or incest victim in State A, I could get an abortion, but I couldn't get one in State B, and I could only get one in State C if my life were in danger. Meanwhile the trauma of knowing that I am carrying the child of my rapist is the same.

"Since that is a question for more than jsut an individual - but for a whole community to decide when life begins and what rights are paramount this should be a state by state issue for the voters."

This interests me, too. You say the issues are bigger than the individual ... so, then shouldn't the decision be bigger than local or regional views?
  • jenlduu Fat&Greasy 2009/06/12 22:33:06
    jenlduu
    Very good point.
  • Fat&Greasy jenlduu 2009/06/13 01:51:38
    Fat&Greasy
    Thanks, Jenlduu. I wish more of the people I respond to would respond. I'm hoping for dialogue, and so often on SH I seem to be talking into the void.
  • jenlduu Fat&Greasy 2009/06/13 12:33:19
    jenlduu
    Your welcome and glad to see you are going at SH with such intelligent and informend comments . We really need people like you on SH instead of all the bickering and name calling, Don't count on to many here on SH to spend the time to give more that a two line answer or post any more than that.
  • XWe-Hear-The-SoundX 2009/06/04 07:36:03
    Yes.
    XWe-Hear-The-SoundX
    +1
    It should be made illegal again. True, people would still try to take out their own mistakes on the child inside them (or just not want to have the child due to something that was done to them, even though it wasn't the kid's fault). Yes, women died, but you ignore the fact that it was because they were trying to murder something else. People should just accept the child and give it up if they don't want it. And don't give me crap about feeling bad about the separation, if they cared so much fro the poor child they wouldn't have considered abortion in the first place.

And by the way, condoms don't work all of the time. They can snap, and even a hole the size of a needle head in the condom can allow thousands or more of sperm to escape. The easiest way to not have a child is to just wait until you are married, end of story.
  • jenlduu XWe-Hea... 2009/06/10 04:43:15
    jenlduu
    Why would a man even comment on this issue? Are they the ones who's lives will be in danger if leagal abortions are stoped. I think not, so they have no say so on the issue.
  • Fat&Greasy jenlduu 2009/06/10 04:57:51
    Fat&Greasy
    +1
    I have to disagree with you a little here, jenlduu. I think men's voices need to be heard. Maybe if more men were thinking and talking about these issues and being more actively involved before and after the immediate act of impregnation there would be fewer unplanned and unwanted pregnancies and less of a need for abortion.
  • jenlduu Fat&Greasy 2009/06/12 22:36:10
    jenlduu
    Yes, you are right men should start taking some responsibility for a woman having a abortion. If they used condoms and decided to support the women or even take the child if she had it that would be very postive thing. I just believe that when in comes down to actually voting on weither abortion should be legal or not it is not men who's lives are at stake so they should not get a vote.
  • Fat&Greasy jenlduu 2009/06/13 01:55:28
    Fat&Greasy
    +1
    I go back and forth on this one. It seems only logical to me that I should have the 'final word' on whether or not I have an abortion ... but that seems unfair to the man. I just don't know.

As far as who should get to vote on whether I would even have the right to consider having an abortion ... I have to agree with you and say that I really don't know tht that middle-aged and old men (thinking of the justices) are the right ones to be casting those ballots.
  • jenlduu Fat&Greasy 2009/06/13 04:49:37
    jenlduu
    Yeah, especially ones who haven had sex in years. LOL
  • XWe-Hea... jenlduu 2009/06/10 16:42:52 (edited)
    XWe-Hear-The-SoundX
    I'm not a male. That's why that section on SH profiles is there. I just happen to like Re-Animator and Herbert West.

I agree with Fat&Greasy.;

However, women still die from "legal" messed up abortions - I hate to say it, but which is better, tens of millions or a few million?
  • Pele Emerging 2009/06/04 04:15:43
    No.
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    And, I'm personally opposed to abortion. No one ever forced me to have one, either. I would rather prevent a pregnancy than abort one, but in this country, that seems out of the question, too.

2014/11/28 00:25:26