Should The Pledge Of Allegiance Be In Our Schools Daily?

DR d 2010/02/01 03:29:38
Yes and why
No and why
The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States is an oath of loyalty to the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892.

• Yes and why
    Angel Among Us ♥†♥ American Patriot
    +14
    Because our flag is a symbol of greatness in this country. It symbolizes bravery, courage, sacrifice, honor, and freedom. It tells the story of America's greatness and what we stand for. Americans are proud of our history and we stand tall and fly our flag with the dignity it deserves.

Teach a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.

proud history tall fly flag dignity deserves teach child depart

• Nipntuck 2010/02/03 07:09:42 (edited)
    Yes and why
    Nipntuck
    +1
    Yes because it is a tradition in this country that teaches kids why this country is so great and why so many died for it!
  • Peaches 2010/02/03 07:05:34
    Yes and why
    Peaches
    +1
    Because the American Flag is the greatest flag, representing the greatest, most prosperous, most secure, most free society in the history of man.
    Dahhh!
  • QuitBla... Peaches 2010/02/03 07:51:45 (edited)
    QuitBlamingBush
    +1
    "The things that the flag stands for were created by the experiences of a great people. Everything that it stands for was written by their lives. The flag is the embodiment not of sentiment, but of history."
    Woodrow Wilson

people stands written lives flag embodiment sentiment history woodrow wilson
  • Silvery... Peaches 2010/02/03 12:59:20
    Silvery Slash
    Yes because America is so much greater than everyone else, which is why we are behind all of Asia and a large portion of Europe. Yup, good ol' Great Depression #2 America is so far ahead of South Korea - Creators of High-Speed Internet, and China inventor of the computer.
  • rasputan Silvery... 2010/02/03 15:57:15
    rasputan
    Not meaning to nitpick, but china did not invent the computer. They may have invented the Abacus.
  • Silvery... rasputan 2010/02/03 19:57:18
    Silvery Slash
    the abacus is sometimes considered the first computer, as it computes math.
  • Peaches Silvery... 2010/02/04 07:29:47
    Peaches
    It is really sad to hear from the younger generation, who takes all the benefits of living in America for granted. Spoiled brats is the definition of your post.
  • Silvery... Peaches 2010/02/04 12:12:18 (edited)
    Silvery Slash
    we are behind south korea technologically, and Japan technologically, no country is the one greatest, especially not America, if any country should be the one greatest it should be a country that suffered because of America, like Vietnam, or Japan (Vietnam war, Atomic Bomb) or maybe even a country from the middle east (War on Terrorism aka War of Revenge)

I do not take America for granted, I am only voicing the achievements of other countries that American's take for granted. "Oh, if it weren't for us, South Korea would be dead" if it weren't for south Korea you wouldn't have high-speed internet. "We built Japan." We also destroyed Japan. And if being young and having and voicing a valid opinion makes me a spoiled brat, then thank you, because at least I back my argument up with facts.
  • DR d Silvery... 2010/02/04 14:45:51
    DR d
    You are not appreciative our respectful to what you have in America you call home. Are you this disrespectful of your parents and the home you have been raised in?
  • Peaches Silvery... 2010/02/04 16:12:19
    Peaches
    You can always pull so-called facts out of thin-air to back up any argument, which is what you have done here. Because one country is thriving in one area (technology) does not necessarily make them superior. Because America has been at war with another country does not mean America is the wrong doer. AMerica has rescued million from the attrocities committed by bad governments that stomp on the right to life of groups based on ethnicity, religion, etc. Surely, we have made mistakes as a nation. But for the most part, we are a force for good.

Your logic is so twisted. Your sodahead name indicates you are Asian. You seem to be bigoted against America based on your ethnicity. You see life through the prism of skin color, rather than America as a melting pot. If you don't appreciate the precious gift of freedom, prosperity, and security our country has to offer, then perhaps leave our great nation.
  • DR d Peaches 2010/02/04 20:47:17
    DR d
    You and Aria are disagreeing on certain issues, but have you each looked at what you both are defending in the end? Aria is 15 according to the profile and has been going by things taught in school and you have most likely lived through a lot of what you are discussing about. I think each has learn different facts and from different sources. I just looked and I do believe you both love America. I am not going to reply to Aria and if you do reply to her point out my post here. Thanks.
  • Peaches DR d 2010/02/04 22:00:02
    Peaches
    15 is old enough to know better than biting the hand that feeds her. Yes, she is problaby just parroting what her liberal school instructors have told her. But if she is not confronted with how wrong-headed she is and why, than how can she learn? I think it is called the school of hard knocks, and every developing human being learns this way.
  • Silvery... Peaches 2010/02/04 23:58:08
    Silvery Slash
    I never said I hated America, I just do not think it is the single greatest country in every single way, as that is not possible for any country in the entire world.
  • DR d Silvery... 2010/02/05 00:25:02
    DR d
    +1
    I want you to know that you still have a right to your opinion. But please give some respect, listen to what us old people lol experienced and watched developed with countries around the world first hand. All of the countries you mentioned earlier have gone through harder and more dangerous times then us ever. they either went through wars on their land with other countries or with their own countrymen. They suffered through governments that were dangerous and took everything from them. They may look like they are great, but with most, we helped them with many many soldiers dying for them and we put mega bucks in most countries to get them back on track with rebuilding.
    I just wanted you to know I want the best for you, my daughters and my granddaughter. And i would say my generation may have had some of the best times overall being between the depression recovering and now with the economy at it's worse. My heart is with you future leaders.
  • Silvery... DR d 2010/02/05 00:38:32
    Silvery Slash
    I am aware of the past struggles of Vietnam and all of Asia. And am very grateful to America for freeing us before I was born, or perhaps I'd still be in Vietnam uneducated, or most likely dead. However I do not think what America has done for other countries makes it THE best, which is what "Peaches" wants us to believe.

"representing the greatest, most prosperous, most secure, most free society in the history of man."

Each country is different in it's own ways, and better for different reasons. No country is the one best, being able to help others in a selfless manner as generations before us did is wonderful, but gives no one the right to call themselves the ONE best. (Which kind of kills the "selfless" part)

I rest my case.
  • Peaches Silvery... 2010/02/05 06:46:01 (edited)
    Peaches
    No one ever claimed America was the best at everything. And yes you did tear down our great country, and claimed we are inferior. Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Bite the hand that feeds you and expect to be thrown under the bus. That's life.

If you are 15, I pity you. Your generation has little or no ability to think for yourself. You only parrot what the radicals have taught you in school.
  • Silvery... Peaches 2010/02/05 11:04:32
    Silvery Slash
    anata wa baka desu! "And yes you did tear down our great country, and claimed we are inferior" I never said we were inferior, Americans have an inferiority complex. And take great offense whenever someone says "Well you aren't the best at everything" you've just further proved my point.

YOU said America was "the greatest, most prosperous, most secure and most free society in the history of man." which is in fact not true, as each country is great in it's own ways, and inferior in it's own ways.

I will not take this argument any further as you seem to be a narrow-minded person who is selectively blind. being able to accept one's own faults leads to spiritual and mental growth. Only pointing out other's faults puts your faults in the spotlight.

Also get some debating skills, insulting one, one's teacher's, and pointing the finger would get you nowhere in a real debate. Challenging is one thing, but you must state WHAT you are challenging.
    In the following quote I highlighted "points of interest".
    "THE GREATEST most prosperous, most secure and most free society IN THE HISTORY OF MAN." direct quote, and tell me, how TRUE is that?

Do not bother responding, as I will not waste my time here, I have better things to do with my life, better people to spend it with. Just remember :

Children do not only learn from adults, adults must also learn from children.
  • Peaches Silvery... 2010/02/06 09:00:08 (edited)
    Peaches
    As far as most of your comments . . . look who's calling the kettle black. And I will say it again, I, nor anyone else claimed America was better at all things all the time. Stop making stuff up to try and win an argument. Do you work for Katy Curic or something?

As far as children teaching adults, you have taught me I am correct in assuming your generation has not bee trained to think for yourself. Sad, but true.
  • Silvery... Peaches 2010/02/05 00:06:10
    Silvery Slash
    "Because one country is thriving in one area (technology) does not necessarily make them superior."

I never said they were superior.

"You seem to be bigoted against America based on your ethnicity."

I should say the same to you, because I am Asian, I am automatically hating America, because I have an opinion of it not being the best nation in the entire world.

"You see life through the prism of skin color, rather than America as a melting pot. If you don't appreciate the precious gift of freedom, prosperity, and security our country has to offer, then perhaps leave our great nation."

While my school here in Quincy, Massachusetts is in fact largely Asian, most of my friends are not. Freedom is not something I take for granted, but being an atheist, I can tell you religious freedom not quite there yet, as I get attacked both religiously and racially.
  • DR d Peaches 2010/02/03 20:20:53
  • Peaches DR d 2010/02/04 07:31:09
    Peaches
    Those lying in their coffins gave there life so that you could continue to live in freedom. Will you waste their sacrifice?
  • Linerat 2010/02/03 07:05:05
    Yes and why
    Linerat
    +1
    yes, yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes. There I said it. Why break something just because you personally don't like it. Go find another country you can live in. Let me ask you a question of why you focus on the spec of dirt rather the real trash that is laying all around? I am so tired of people who get so bent out of shape, that they steal the joy out of life. They are not fulfilled until you are miserable too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • QuitBla... Linerat 2010/02/03 07:55:27
    QuitBlamingBush
    You must be talking about the
    talking

and
    talking
    talking
  • koollook QuitBla... 2010/02/03 12:10:32
    koollook
    +2
    You are exacxtly why it shouldnt be until the child becomes old enough to know what it means . Obviously you are in grade school and make a perfect example.
  • Tara 2010/02/03 06:37:38
    No and why
    Tara
    +1
    I don't mind if they have children say it once the children are old enough to understand it. But I do not believe in making children recite things they do not fully understand. Children need to be taught what Patriotism is before reciting a Patriotic pledge.

Also the words Under God need to be removed, those words were never in the original and they do not belong there now.

We want our children to be proud of their country and be Patriotic and pledge the flag, but many either will not say it or their parents will not allow them to say it with those words in there. People should not be forced to pledge under a God they do not believe in.

But until those conditions have been met I don't think children should be saying it.
  • DR d Tara 2010/02/03 06:48:32
    DR d
    +1
    Why don't you believe in freedom of speech for the majority of those that want the Pledge in school? I never said it had to be mandatory. And if the word God is in the Pledge, either leave that part out or don't say it at all. And the Pledge should be taught to these students with the complete meaning of it.
  • Tara DR d 2010/02/03 06:55:51
    Tara
    *Why don't you believe in freedom of speech for the majority of those that want the Pledge in school?*

Exactly where did I say I do not believe in freedom of speech? I clearly said "I don't mind if they have children say it once the children are old enough to understand it. "

Again.... I do not mind if they have children say it

But, I believe BEFORE children are asked or told to say it they should be taught what it means. And I also believe that the words Under God should be removed because

1) The author of the pledge did not put that in there and we have no right to change his patriotic work

and

2) If we remove it then EVERY student can be patriotic and say the pledge
  • Some Gu... Tara 2010/02/03 12:21:20
    Some Guy ~ þhαετ~
    I'm not a religious person at all, but the words "Under God" don't bother me in the least since a majority of our nation are Christians and it reflects that belief. As far as children being too young to understand it, how about not having them sing songs praising our megalomanial President? I'm sure they don't understand that, either, but it's ingraining the thought in them that he's some great entity.
  • QuitBla... Tara 2010/02/03 07:04:17
    QuitBlamingBush
    +2
    70 % of Americans consider themselves Christians or believe in a God. What is the worst thing that can happen to a child if he recites "under God?" Will that child need mental help as he grows older? Is his future doomed because he chose to recite those words? Sounds silly. No one is forcing the child to say "under God." Our country is in deep trouble when the few (politically -correct liberals) rule the majority. Most liberals are not proud of their country. They pledge to the liberal cause. They hate conservatism, what it stands for. They pretend to love America. Our greatest problem we face? Turning our backs on God.

liberal hate conservatism stands pretend love america turning backs god
  • DR d Tara 2010/02/03 07:09:00
    DR d
    You have it right that the kids need to be educated about the meaning of the Pledge. kids educated meaning pledge
    Why not recite this one then? I never said it was mandatory.
  • Peaches Tara 2010/02/03 07:12:20 (edited)
    Peaches
    +1
    Using your philosophy, better stop children from learning the alphabet, and mathematics too. And perhaps we should put an end to rhymes like the Itsy Bitsy Spider, and others, because a child can't possibly understand the full meaning of these rhymes when they learn them. How stupid is that.

Really, you need to stop reciting what you liberal educators are asking you to regurgitate. Are you just reciting things you don't understand, like your claim about reciting the pledge is?

And should we set up a force of police that determine when someone comprehends what the pledge means before we allow them to recite it?

Your theory will lead to the destruction of the greatest nation in the history of man. Further more, you don't believe in majority rule. 70% of AMericans believe in God. We The People are allowed by our Constitution to determine that the Pledge, Under God, should be recited. Not some elitist snob professor that dispises the limites our Constitution puts on their leftist beliefs.
  • Tara Peaches 2010/02/03 07:22:04
    Tara
    *Using your philosophy, better stop children from learning the alphabet, and mathematics too. And perhaps we should put an end to rhymes like the Itsy Bitsy Spider, and others, because a child can't possibly understand the full meaning of these rhymes when they learn them. How stupid is that. *

Oh please! Something as important as a Patriotic Pledge should be taught to children BEFORE they are asked to recite it. Mindless reciting of something they do not understand makes something as important as the pledge less important. It means nothing if you say things you have no idea what they mean

*Your theory will lead to the destruction of the greatest nation in the history of man.*

LOL! Educating children on the meaning of the Pledge is going to lead to the destruction of this nation? I highly doubt it :)
  • Peaches Tara 2010/02/03 07:33:55
    Peaches
    Is math important? Better stop teaching those kids the times tables before they can fully comprehend the meaning of it all, and how math can be applied to engineering, architecture, and such. It cheapens the meaning of 2 + 2 if you can't fully apply the potential application of this knowledge.

Your dipsy belief system is dangerous to us all.
  • Tara Peaches 2010/02/03 07:42:58
    Tara
    *Is math important?*

Not near as important as the Pledge

*Better stop teaching those kids the times tables before they can fully comprehend the meaning of it all, and how math can be applied to engineering, architecture, and such. It cheapens the meaning of 2 + 2 if you can't fully apply the potential application of this knowledge. *

Oh my! Well if you think that 2+2 is just as important as the Pledge I feel very sorry for you

*Your dipsy belief system is dangerous to us all.*

Your belief that the Pledge is no more important then a nursery rhyme is dangerous to us all

I give up... You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine

Good Day :)
  • Cordingly Peaches 2010/02/03 09:01:43
    Cordingly
    +1
    Yeah, how dare she suggest that kids learn the meaning of something, so that they don't go around half-assing things for the rest of their lives.
  • Peaches Tara 2010/02/03 07:40:03
    Peaches
    Additionally, better stop teaching kids to eat there fruits and vegetables. After all, they could not possibly fully comprehend how nutrients and vitamins keep their bodies strong and healthy.

See how silly your theory is. Stop listening to the lies of liberalism and your life will be better, so much better. I guarantee it. And you will stop looking like such a dunce.
  • koollook Peaches 2010/02/03 12:16:07
    koollook
    +1
    Thats the stupiest thing i ever heard. Since when is a kid forced to know about fruits and vegetables . You are a dunce.
  • Peaches Tara 2010/02/03 07:19:45
    Peaches
    From our Founding Fathers

"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.” —George Washington quote

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right” —Abraham Lincoln quote

I am sure you are so much smarter than our Founding Fathers. Hardee har har
  • Tara Peaches 2010/02/03 07:23:28
    Tara
    +1
    *I am sure you are so much smarter than our Founding Fathers. Hardee har har*

Never claimed I was... Not even once
  • Cordingly Tara 2010/02/03 09:01:00
    Cordingly
    Tara, I'd like to say good job at defending your position the entire time. It's funny how when one suggest that kids should be taught to understand the pledge, other people freak out.

I also don't understand why people don't just switch in "under all" that's what my school did, it's a real easy fix.

2014/07/31 07:22:28