Should the government outlaw Christmas holidays?

Marie/M2M2K™-#1ConservativeGuru 2009/12/17 06:46:12
Yes, the government SHOULD outlaw Christmas holidays.
No, the government should NOT outlaw Christmas holidays.
Marie, did you finally lose your sanity?
Ok, folks....we constantly hear about separation of church and state. Yet the government gives employees the day off with pay. Schools give almost 2 weeks for Christmas vacation. (These are not the only two but I'm giving them as examples.) Those with no belief in God are among the ones with the day off. Does the government recognizing Christmas as a national holiday violate separation of church and state? Should our government outlaw Christmas holidays?

**BTW, up front: I am a Christian, and I do celebrate Christmas.

• James 2009/12/17 10:35:32
    James
    +24
    First of all I would like to set the record straight. The Government has twisted the meaning of Separation of Church and State just like the devil twists the Scriptures of the bible. The statement of Separation Of Church and State really means that the Government was not to interfere with the Churches business, That being said and put out of the way says this. Christmas has always been a part of the American Heritage. But living in the day we live in just like the majority of the people have forsaken God and they want a world without God and just as prophesied God will give them what they want in these last days. So to those who hate Jesus when He comes back for His people you will have what you always wanted. A world without God and a world without Christians for a very short time.

• hook 2009/12/17 18:29:54
    hook
    +6
    THIS COMMIE GOV. WE ARE STUCK WITH NOW HAS GOT TO GO!!
  • Marie/M... hook 2009/12/17 18:48:25
  • hook Marie/M... 2009/12/17 19:13:37
    hook
    +1
    CHRISTMAS IS FOR KIDS!! it is a special time for them!!
  • coffee man hook 2009/12/17 22:06:36
    coffee man
    Not for all kids though, that's the point.
    The author of this poll used an unfortunate term when they said "outlaw". It made it sound like making Christmas Illegal instead of just not recognizing it as a federal holiday.
  • Marie/M... coffee man 2009/12/17 22:13:15
  • coffee man Marie/M... 2009/12/18 21:09:03
    coffee man
    +1
    Sorry, I wasn't criticizing you (or didn't mean to), I was just trying to explain to the drama queen that it wasn't really as drastic of a question as they might have thought it was.
    Merry Christmas.
  • u funny hook 2009/12/17 20:25:56
    u funny
    +1
    es they do .so 2010 will be a start and then 2012
  • imotley 2009/12/17 18:16:51 (edited)
    imotley
    +4
    There is nothing in the Consitution about separation of church and state. The first mention of such a thing was in a letter written by Thomas Jefferson.

"The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the Congress from making laws "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech and infringing on the freedom of the press. In the 20th century, the Supreme Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government."

Observing Christmas does nothing to establish a religion by the State. Should the government move to eliminate Christmas and ban its observation, then it would be impeding my right to celebrate according to my faith and that is a violation of my Constitutional rights. So, we need to leave Christmas alone...
  • Marie/M... imotley 2009/12/17 18:18:36
  • Rockhead 2009/12/17 18:01:40
    Rockhead
    +7
    They should freakin outlaw theirself . freakin outlaw theirself
  • Marie/M... Rockhead 2009/12/17 18:19:07
  • The San... Rockhead 2009/12/17 21:20:04
    The SandRat
    +1
    And I drew a crucifix
  • Marie/M... The San... 2009/12/17 21:26:48
  • The San... Marie/M... 2009/12/24 14:53:18
    The SandRat
    +1
    Yup! Sad but true.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2009/12/17 17:39:25
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Countries wanting to get rid religious holidays are usually trying to do away with certain types of religious people. Control tactics like genocide commonly apply. So I think I'll vote NO.

If you asked me if I thought we should do away with paid holidays for bloated, overpaid government officials and workers, I'd say I was un-decided.

If you asked me if we should do away with paid time off for non-veterans on Veteran's Day, I say Hell Yes! As a veteran, I don't think I ever got paid time off for that one, not even while I was in the Navy.
  • teacham... Dogzebr... 2009/12/17 18:04:31
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    me either!
  • Marie/M... Dogzebr... 2009/12/17 18:19:53
  • Dogzebr... Marie/M... 2009/12/17 19:08:49
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    No need to thank me for doing what I was paid to do. I ain't no hero and never claimed to be. I went into the Nav for my own selfish reasons. Job security, a warm bed and three squares a day.

I just think it's beyond sad, this period in our nation's history, when we disrespect Christian morals and symbolism in the name of a foreign concept named diversity.

If we are so willing to turn our backs on the Christian standards our nation was founded on, then we may as well start by desecrating all of our national cemetaries by removing all of those rows of white marble crosses, lest we offend someone. Let us pass a law to remove remove 100% of our nation's Federal & State courthouses and military bases; tear down any and all of those buildings with offensive script chisled into their foundations and walls. Get rid of all of the crosses on the top of the hill that have looked so favorably upon our land for so many decades. We may as well have a Christian book burning while we're at it, or has that already been done before?

Better yet, let's bring back an old slogan that works for me.

America, love it or leave it!
  • Marie/M... Dogzebr... 2009/12/17 19:13:13
  • Kate 2009/12/17 17:22:18
    Kate
    +5
    Seems to me that those who claim to be non-believers are the first to be out shoping for CHRISTmas gifts (would be irate if they didn't get a gift and others did) and looking forward to the days off from work and any other benefit.
  • Marie/M... Kate 2009/12/17 18:20:37
  • coffee man Kate 2009/12/18 21:13:18
    coffee man
    Yea, but they celebrate Christmas, whereas you celebrate CHRISTmas. I know that's a lame way to put it, but it's the truth these days.
    Christmas is truly just as much, if not more, of a secular commercial holiday as it is a religious holiday. I mean it's taken decades for it to get here, but it's here. Like it or not. We all know where it came from, but where it came from and where it is now are two different places.
    Face it, it's two holidays, just at the same time with the same name.
    If CHRISTmas is so important to people they why are they giving the commercial gifts and putting up lights like the seculars do?
  • Kate coffee man 2009/12/18 23:59:52
    Kate
    +1
    Not ALL of us do.
  • FightForFreedom 2009/12/17 17:16:46
    FightForFreedom
    +3
    Try to take our Christmas holidays!

government outlaw christmas holidays christmas holidays

• Marie/M... FightFo... 2009/12/17 18:20:51
  • FightFo... Marie/M... 2009/12/17 21:33:56
  • Strix 2009/12/17 17:13:27 (edited)
    Strix
    +2
    Actually, since the preponderance of the workers are Christian, the unions for the workers most likely lobbied for set days off which established the days that business would be idle - not the government itself. Look at it objectively. The government may be the largest employer in the nation, but all of its employees are in unions, and those unions lobby for what their employees have in terms of health care, days off (holiday, sick, personal et al) and the rest. It is just like any other large corporation in that regard. Even if we demanded the government overlook all religious holidays when establishing their work schedules - the UNIONS wouldn't, so the workers would still have those days off.
  • Marie/M... Strix 2009/12/17 18:21:32
  • Strix Marie/M... 2009/12/17 18:29:46
    Strix
    +1
    No problem :) and the cool thing about Christian holidays is that most of them are the same time as the rest of the religions so it doesn't really hurt to keep them...lol. The Christian church has had a longstanding policy of keeping the flock together by bogarting the major holy days of other faiths and rubber stamping its own holidays on top. Which is how the floralia and lupercalia turned into St. Valentine's Day. Even Halloween is older than the Celtic celebration of Samhain and falls into more varied cultures without the church's dark, wicked views on it giving it an aura of needing redemption ala All Saints Day right after. The armchair occultist is going on a cracker hunt, nibble time ;)

But having worked for a company that went from being a split shop (union and non) to all non-union, I felt the pinch around holidays. Having always been a non-unon employee, I still got shafted. Ended up continuing to work every holiday an additional two years until the worm turned. By then, I enjoyed the pay bump so it didn't matter.
  • Ladnar 2009/12/17 17:13:24
    Ladnar
    +3
    Non-believers should not enjoy paid Christian holidays off from work.
  • Marie/M... Ladnar 2009/12/17 18:21:49
  • Helo Chick Ladnar 2009/12/17 19:11:08
    Helo Chick
    +1
    My mom's work actually lets people that celebrate Hannukah or Kwanza work on Christmas and take thier holiday off.
  • Ladnar Helo Chick 2009/12/17 19:13:12
    Ladnar
    +1
    Kwanzaa comes with a day off now?? When did that happen? Since Obama been in office? What a made up crap "holiday" that is. Lol...
  • Helo Chick Ladnar 2009/12/17 19:18:55
    Helo Chick
    +1
    NOOOO, her boss recognizes that people celebrate other holidays, so they actually work on Christmas and take their holiday off. Kwanza is December 26th according to my calendar....LOL!
  • Ladnar Helo Chick 2009/12/17 19:52:35
    Ladnar
    +1
    Oh, I see.
    Lol. Mine says “Boxing Day”. Maybe boxing be the traditional Kwanzaa sport? You know, like the black hooded sweatshirt is the traditional criminal garb of Kwanzza…
  • Helo Chick Ladnar 2009/12/17 20:18:22
    Helo Chick
    +1
    That's a holiday celebrated in the United Kingdom, Germany, Greenland, New Zealand, Hong Kong, and a few other places....
  • Ladnar Helo Chick 2009/12/17 20:20:54
    Ladnar
    +1
    I know what it is, killjoy. :s
    Can't I crap all over Kwanzza and you just go along with it? :D
  • Helo Chick Ladnar 2009/12/17 20:22:44
    Helo Chick
    +2
    Sorry....LOL! I have a hard time recognizing sarcasm on the internet....LOL! I'm REALLLLLY bad at that....=)
  • Ladnar Helo Chick 2009/12/17 20:30:21 (edited)
    Ladnar
    +1
    Hahaha …
    Ah, a literalist. But literalism is better than Liberalism! :D
    You’re prolly all practical and efficient too… Ick! :D :D <-see, I added an extra onea these sos you knows I’m just playin. ;)
  • Marie/M... Helo Chick 2009/12/17 20:32:28

2014/09/23 22:32:28