Should the government do away with food stamps, and hand out beans,rice,etc, instead ?

grizzly 2008/11/28 21:47:15
The U.S has the fattest poor people in the world !

• Feck Sodahed 2008/11/28 22:52:42
    no
    Feck Sodahed
    +6
    No...the government should do away with war and warmongering. I'd rather the money wasted on war go to food stamps. There's going to be a lot of people who will need them now ...with the economy and job loss.

And yes...we may have the fattest poor people in the world.... but nutritious food is expensive. You can get fat eating nothing but Ramen noodles and pasta.

• candie.jones.96 2013/10/12 19:56:37
    no
    candie.jones.96
    im a mother of two and it is very hard to get the right foods in the home with only one working some of us need that month to month help...WHY take for the poor start taking Obama checks!!!!!!!!! so what they just want us and our children to starve???
  • Angel 2009/02/16 16:11:54
    no
    Angel
    of course not....the govt don't know who is allergic to these type foods.....
  • grizzly Angel 2009/02/16 18:00:03
    grizzly
    If that's the case. they can go to the doctor and get an excuse.
  • Angel grizzly 2009/02/16 19:13:06
    Angel
    nah , that would never work , it would interfer with obamas health care plan, we can't have that
  • grizzly Angel 2009/02/16 19:19:24
    grizzly
    Considering the millions on Medicaid, why would anyone be against getting healthcare organized ? It's the same kind of warped thinking that's all for deficit-spending billions on Iraq, but against investing in the U.S.....it's a shame the GOP has so many brainwashed !
  • Angel grizzly 2009/02/16 19:22:33
    Angel
    who said anything about that , I said food stamps participants going to the dr to get an excuse would interfere with obamas health care but since you brought it up, organized health care will just be a bigger mess than medicaid...
  • grizzly Angel 2009/02/16 19:35:27
    grizzly
    I don't understand how going to the doctor would interfere, and if we can go to the moon, we can get healthcare organized. There is just too much waste and unneeded expense the way it is.
  • Angel grizzly 2009/02/16 20:41:09
    Angel
    and it won't be any different under obamas plan.....the only thing is the people who really need care probably will be to costly under his plan to treat.. .and will be left to wing it
  • grizzly Angel 2009/02/18 02:29:35
    grizzly
    Hillary will help him out !
  • Ryan 2009/02/16 09:36:37
    yes
    Ryan
    +1
    Hell, ya along with a pot if necessary and instructions to cook. Along with the best way to cook and prepare an investment banker.mmmm
  • Cecil Prynne 2009/02/16 06:37:59
    yes
    Cecil Prynne
    +1
    I know some people with food stamps and yeah there are those who use them like they should but there are others who sell them. By selling them I mean they'll ask say a friend or family memeber to give them cash and they buy them an equal amout of groceries. I've seen the money used on things like drugs and other unnecessary items. I think giving them the basics will make them more appreciative of better things and give them inspiration to try harder to reach a higher level of succes in their lives.
  • marks_girl 2008/12/01 17:16:25
    no
    marks_girl
    +1
    no cause we don't all like the beans and rice if we wanted beans and rice we would go to a food bank thank you
  • grizzly marks_girl 2009/02/16 06:46:13
    grizzly
    You ain't supposed to like it.....just survive on it ! If you want the expensive goodies, get a job ! Why should working people have to go without so they can buy welfare people steaks,shrimp,etc ?
  • marks_girl grizzly 2009/03/24 05:38:58
    marks_girl
    i have a job thank you but am still on food stamps because these days doctor don't even make shit am not asking for steak and shrimps am asking for help with a little taste just because you have money get off other people that don't.
  • grizzly marks_girl 2009/03/26 16:57:25
    grizzly
    I live on beans,eggs,etc,...I can't afford all the goodies because they take taxes out to buy lazy people steak !
  • marks_girl grizzly 2009/04/28 10:49:35
    marks_girl
    i understand where ur coming from just let it go there nothing u or me can do about it but arguing with each other i just know i work hard for what i have nobody hands me anything!!!
  • grizzly marks_girl 2009/04/28 16:19:18
    grizzly
    You said they hand you food ! I'm not mad at you , but disgusted with the system...but 50 years from now we'll all be dead, so who cares ?
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2008/12/01 04:29:34
    no
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +2
    Unless we're talking about the biggest welfare abusers, banking executives.
  • Cookie Bone 2008/12/01 02:56:22 (edited)
    no
    Cookie Bone
    +4
    Would YOU want to have a steady diet of beans, rice, etc Just because you're poor? I don't get food stamps any more but I used to. And I'll tell you something else too; I used to WORK when I received them! It is impossible for a single mother to raise even ONE child on today's average wage (forget minimum wage) I worked myself ragged trying to provide for my kids, and I was grateful for every meal I was able to buy with food stamps. --And YES I bought sweets once in a while too. One of my children was born anemic. Another had other health issues--How healthy would they have been today if all they got to eat was beans and rice??? Get real!

children born anemic health issues--how healthy eat beans rice real
  • dreaminon 2008/12/01 00:44:58
    yes
    dreaminon
    +1
    They should give them healthy food instead of food stamps. In my state, too many buy junk food or sell them for $$$$ or trade them for something else they they want. Also by giving them food, the government is sure that the children are getting what they need.
  • VICTORIA dreaminon 2008/12/01 07:14:16
    VICTORIA
    +1
    GOVERNMENT CHEESE GOVERNMENT CHESSE GOVERNMENT CHEESE
  • Pet Roc... VICTORIA 2008/12/01 12:29:23
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    = constipated poor.
  • CopyrightAllInformation Ima... 2008/11/29 18:43:29 (edited)
    no
    CopyrightAllInformation Images on this non-active account
    +2
    If the point is to rid the country of fat people, then No. Beans and rice can be very fattening. If the point is to "thin" the country, then find another way. Food stamps are hardly the sole "cause" of fat. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... I currently have to use them and I'm far from fat. Actually, I'm quite thinner than when I could afford to eat out all the time. LOL Another silly question....geez..
    rid country fat people beans rice fattening
  • grizzly Copyrig... 2008/11/30 16:56:15
    grizzly
    There is no fat in beans...
  • Copyrig... grizzly 2008/12/01 06:33:39
    +2
    Depends on how they are made,and too much carbohydrates is a known contributor to fatigue, sluggishness, etc. Regarding fattening: Depends on the culture, or would you like to control how people cook now? Honestly! LOL
  • Ready For Change ! 2008/11/29 06:09:07
    no
    Ready For Change !
    +2
    Sometimes I just don't know about you Grizzly.
  • strawberry 2008/11/29 03:31:21
    no
    strawberry
    +4
    I have been there myself, needing help for myself and my children. Sadly grizzly most of the food give away places, give beans, rice and stale bread. I know because I have been to these places. With all the money churches have they give almost nothing. I saw these people standing on long lines just to get anything. They all have a different story. These are not your lazy bums as those well to do think. I was very well to do once. I was also without anything. I worked all my life very hard. Things happen to people. Those who are so smug should watch out. It will come back to haunt them.
  • Copyrig... strawberry 2008/12/01 06:40:28
    +2
    Thank you for saying that. I once made a lot of money too. I was stricken with a life threatening illness I neither asked for or caused. I am alive but have numerous medical issues to deal with, appointments, etc. I'd love to work full time, but it's not realistic with my given situation. Furthermore, with a major gap on my work history, not many places want to hire me, even part-time; I've been trying very hard to find a job. I am not the EXCEPTION. It's the others you hear about (lazy, etc) that make the news, because some people want to justify denying assistance. It's much easier to blame it on them (the poor). Just remember, just because life has treated you ok, doesn't mean it will always be that way. Just because you work hard and have successes, doesn't mean that someone struggling, didn't also work hard, and once have successes. Be careful of judging; sometimes life's greatest lessons are learned the hard way.
  • Cookie ... Copyrig... 2008/12/01 07:22:27
    Cookie Bone
    Amen to that! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I pray things will get better for you.
  • Copyrig... Cookie ... 2008/12/01 07:57:57
    +1
    As long as I'm alive, I'm alright. Peace! alive alright peace
  • Cookie ... strawberry 2008/12/01 07:19:06
    Cookie Bone
    +1
    I have worked church food pantries. Most of what we gave away was what was available at give away prices at the food bank (they sold food by the pound, and it wasn't as if we were going into Publix to shop) This food was what the supermarkets removed from their shelves prior to expiring so it could be donated to the food bank--which in turn did not operate for free they had bills, and several dozen unpaid volunteers that did the work. My point is this; Most churches do not have coffers overflowing with money to line people's pockets or to give away. They don't operate for free. We had bills like everyone else. But we did try as best we could to help the poor.--myself included. I have been there too. If it weren't for the churches, those people who fell through the cracks of the system would have nothing at all.
  • Wilson 2008/11/29 02:03:30
    no
    Wilson
    Would the distribution point be a govt warehouse run by bureaucrats? Don't think I'd want any of that food.
    I'd say stay with the stamps.
  • Peggy 2008/11/29 01:51:35
    no
    Peggy
    +2
    Then what? People rob the wearhouse? Hire all kinds of people to distribute food? Toss the out of date foods away? There is so little welfare fraud. Problem is all we ever hear about are the cheaters, the crooks, the users. We never hear about those in need that make it off the welfare rolls. What is the problem feeding those who are hungry? The cash assistance is a very small amount. The income level is different in each state. A family of three making $25,000 in PA DOES NOT qualify for food stamps. Laid off? To bad. Sick and cannot work? too bad. Minimun wage is 15,600 a year, before taxes.. Wow. Where to spend it all. Yet a single person in PA DOES NOT qualify for food stamps. Eating all that starch and unhealthy food will cause diabeties and or heart disease and them we can bitch about medicare.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2008/11/29 01:21:21
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    I don't know, how is this working for other poor people in other countries?
  • VICTORIA Lee The... 2008/12/01 07:17:06
    VICTORIA
    +1
    How it (doesn't) work is black marketeers steal the foodstuffs sent in- and sell it at inflated rates.
  • Feck Sodahed 2008/11/28 22:52:42
    no
    Feck Sodahed
    +6

• grizzly Feck So... 2008/11/28 23:24:58
    grizzly
    +1
    Come on...lol
  • Cookie ... grizzly 2008/12/01 03:15:03
    Cookie Bone
    +4
    Actually, she has a point in that the really good healthy food is far more expensive. The key to healthy weight loss is eating right. All fresh. Lots of work cooking. --I know I did it. I would never have been able to do that on food stamps.
  • grizzly Cookie ... 2008/12/01 04:10:59
    grizzly
    Fresh food is too expensive to give away...canned goods are good enough...
  • Cookie ... grizzly 2008/12/01 04:40:40
    Cookie Bone
    +2
    And very unhealthy for some people. For instance; if someone has a high blood pressure problem it would take very little canned food to send them into kidney failure if eaten on a regular basis. I'm not saying they should be given fillet Mignon, but why aren't they worth fresh or frozen? My eldest died just recently as a result of just this sort of thing. She had high blood pressure most of her life as a result of a childhood illness. As an adult, when times got tough, she refused to apply for help, so she didn't take care of herself --lots of cheap canned food etc. --30 yrs old! Complete kidney failure! And now there's a 6 yr old without a mother. This is just one example of why you can't just have a blanket answer for every situation. I know there are those out there who abuse the system. I have worked in ministry long enough and have seen some pretty deplorable behavior. But it never stopped me from believing that everyone --poor or not deserves good food if it can be had.

2014/11/01 07:44:00