Should the Confederate flag be banned?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/09 03:48:24

• The_Infidel_Atheist 2012/04/09 06:47:35 (edited)
    The_Infidel_Atheist
    +24
    As a black man, I feel like the flag isn't the problem, it's how you represent it. To me it represents Southern Pride, and that ain't nothing to be ashamed of. I'm from the South and it's okay to be proud of your heritage and where you come from. There's two sides of the coin though because you also have people that use the flag to represent hate. But I don't blame them, I blame their momma and daddy, because hate ain't something you're born with, it's something you learn.

• shultzhound 2012/04/09 20:39:49
    shultzhound
    +2
    It is a part of our history and it may represent a sad time but it is still our history. Most confederate flags were battle flags and not neccesary a racist thing, just because you have a small insignificant group that have made the confederate flag a sign of hatred does not mean that we must look at it in this way. We need to take back what is ours from the scum sucking radicals on boith sides of the isle and stop caving in to them and their histeria.
  • Ferηαηdo 夢 2012/04/09 19:56:46
    Ferηαηdo 夢
    +6
    No, as someone who advocates freedom of expression, I support other people's right to expression when it comes to that flag.

I however don't like it and in my opinion stands for everything that should be left in the past. Put it in a museum for others to learn about. Want to express pride for something? Try waving the American flag. This country is called the UNITED States for a reason.
  • Latti I... Ferηαηdo 夢 2012/04/09 20:00:24
  • seattleman Ferηαηdo 夢 2012/04/09 23:40:24
    seattleman
    +2
    Damn right.
  • I don't like Obama in office 2012/04/09 19:52:22 (edited)
    I don't like Obama in office
    +3
    ,My reason why is in the history of taps in the stories of taps I have heard The tune of taps was found wrapped up in part of the Flag the South & the {{Stars and Bars}}} as such the North and South is so Honored in its use & It must be pointed out that other stories of the origin of Taps exist. the One I know to be so true is A popular one is that of a Northern boy who was killed fighting for the south. His father, Robert Ellicombe a Captain in the Union Army, came upon his son's body on the battlefield and found the notes to Taps in a pocket of the dead boy's Confederate uniform, http://www.taphilo.com/histor... , http://www.west-point.org/tap...
  • Joel Buccellato 2012/04/09 19:44:44
    Joel	 Buccellato
    +2
    I think both those who find it offensive and those who think it's a symbol of the South both need a true history lesson.
  • Miss Sissa 2012/04/09 19:18:04
    Miss Sissa
    +2
    Horrible as it is, it's still freedom of expression
  • santa6642 2012/04/09 19:02:46
    santa6642
    +3
    Never, It is a part of History, good or bad it stood for many as a symbol of their state rights and never falthered from that belief.Only those few that are hateful and use it as a symbol of hatred, should be banned.
  • Space Invader 2012/04/09 18:52:51
    Space Invader
  • Fred 2012/04/09 18:52:26
    Fred
    +2
    Not at all ....
  • Cal 2012/04/09 18:37:05
    Cal
    +4
    Are we not passed this ignorance yet? Seriously. This flag is a part of history. It's symbolized a movement, and an age in our nation. Why in the world would be ban this flag?

We teach about WW2 and show the swastika all the time. Same issue...no debate. Problem?
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/04/09 18:30:55
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +5
    But let it be known that the flag is a symbol of slavery and idiocy.
  • ☆GrayBe... ««Ginge... 2012/04/09 21:56:38
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    Negative, Ghostrider.
  • ««Ginge... ☆GrayBe... 2012/04/10 01:10:47
    +2
    It is.
  • ☆GrayBe... ««Ginge... 2012/04/10 07:22:44
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    How?
  • ««Ginge... ☆GrayBe... 2012/04/10 14:47:26
    +1
    Are you seriously asking me this?
  • ☆GrayBe... ««Ginge... 2012/04/10 21:11:16
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    Yes, I am. Do you seriously think the South was only about slavery? In 1861 there was nothing else going on south of the Mason-Dixon line except slavery, right?
  • ««Ginge... ☆GrayBe... 2012/04/10 21:15:49
    The number 1 reason for states seceding from the union was for the right to own slaves. That is a fact that South Carolina even mentioned in their "Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union."
  • ☆GrayBe... ««Ginge... 2012/04/10 21:21:56
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    That was part of it, yes.

http://www.wallbuilders.com/L...

Why the South went to war.
  • David 2012/04/09 18:24:35
    David
    +5
    It is a battle flag, specifically the battle flag for southern independence, nothing more and nothing less, yet hand wringing leftists who are always looking for a controversy in any symbol or word have made it into something to be debated. Whether we like it or not it is a symbol of American culture and should never be banned.
  • 2468 2012/04/09 18:22:02
    2468
    +2
    While I am against many of the things it stands for it is still a free country so it should be a right to display it as people wish.
  • Bronar 2012/04/09 18:19:30
    Bronar
    +5
    From government offices yes. For private use no.
  • Assassi... Bronar 2012/04/09 18:29:49
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    I agree.
  • 13_JunkyardDog 2012/04/09 17:55:00
    13_JunkyardDog
    +3
    Nothing wrong with that flag
  • Cat 1017 2012/04/09 17:10:59
    Cat 1017
    +4
    Even though I despise what it represents...No, because then they would try taking away my rights to wave whatever flag I choose to wave.....
  • Plantgypc 2012/04/09 17:02:16
    Plantgypc
    +5
    But this should.

obama flag
  • Assassi... Plantgypc 2012/04/09 17:11:56
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +7
    Nope, if you can't ban the stars and bars you can't ban that one either. It gos both ways.
  • Plantgypc Assassi... 2012/04/09 17:23:09
    Plantgypc
    +1
    This is not the stars and bars, yet it flew over a democratic public building in Fla.
  • Assassi... Plantgypc 2012/04/09 17:26:35
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +5
    I know that is my point. You said no the stars and bars shouldn't be banned, well...if you can't ban one flag that symbolizes hate (for some) you can't ban that flag either.

BTW I don't believe that that flag was flying over any federal or state government buidling. I require proof. the picture doesn't even look real.
  • Plantgypc Assassi... 2012/04/09 17:58:20
    Plantgypc
    +1
    by Dan Riehl

Despite the law being on their side and at least some of them having risked their lives for their country, Nancy Hurlbert, Chairwoman of the Lake County Democratic Party basically called a group of Amercan veterans racists for simply wanting to see the law upheld. How else to interpret her remark?

Hurlbert said Tuesday's incident was the first time anyone had complained about the flag, which she received as a gift two months ago. "It leads me to believe that it's not about the flag," she told FoxNews.com. "Certain elements cannot accept Barack Obama as president."

At issue was an American flag defaced with the image of Barack Obama, while flying above a Florida county's Democratic headquarters. The practice is in violation of Florida state law, as well as the federal flag code. Hurlbert would not even agree to not flying the flag in the future.

"It's absolutely disrespectful," Jim Bradford, a 71-year-old veteran who participated in the Bay of Pigs Invasion told FoxNews.com. "It's totally ridiculous. To put somebody's picture there, to me, it's a disgrace to do that."

Bradford, an organizer with the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park in Leesburg, Fla., snapped photos of the flag and distributed them to fellow veterans and friends. By late afternoon, he and several o...

by Dan Riehl

Bradford, an organizer with the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park in Leesburg, Fla., snapped photos of the flag and distributed them to fellow veterans and friends. By late afternoon, he and several other veterans delivered a copy of the federal flag code to Nancy Hurlbert, chairwoman of the Lake County Democratic Party.

At link is the pertinent statute, quoted below. Here is the Flag Code, as updated last on April 14, 2008.

Jenn Meale, communications director for Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, referred FoxNews.com to state laws that pertain to the use of flags on public lands and property when asked for clarification as to whether Hurlbert could face any penalties.

Statute 256.05, which covers improper use of state or United States flag, or other symbol of authority, reads: "No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:

"(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or "

(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Democratic County Chairwoman Nancy Hurlbert seems to have taken playing the race card to a whole new level.

obama flag flying over democratic headquarters
  • Assassi... Plantgypc 2012/04/09 18:17:51
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +7
    Excellent. Thank you. If it violated Florida law then they should not be allowed to fly ti obviously.
  • Plantgypc Assassi... 2012/04/09 19:02:38
    Plantgypc
    +2
    Thank you.
  • Cal Assassi... 2012/04/09 18:41:13 (edited)
    Cal

Google Map it, Zoom In, same structure. You can even get the address straight from their own website to input into google.
  • Assassi... Cal 2012/04/09 18:42:39
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +5
    I believe you. Your evidence is good enough for me. I said thank you. I also agree it should not be flown over their building.
  • ☆GrayBe... Assassi... 2012/04/09 22:06:59
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    Old Glory with 0webowmao's mug glaring from the blue field is a desecration of the United States national flag and is illegal:

18 USC § 700 - Desecration of the flag of the United States; penalties

Current as of Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - up to Pub L 112-90

(a)
    (1) Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.
    (2) This subsection does not prohibit any conduct consisting of the disposal of a flag when it has become worn or soiled.
    (b) As used in this section, the term “flag of the United States” means any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, in a form that is commonly displayed.
    (c) Nothing in this section shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of Congress to deprive any State, territory, possession, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico of jurisdiction over any offense over which it would have jurisdiction in the absence of this section.
    (d)
    (1) An appeal may be taken directly to the Supreme Court of the United States from any interlocutory or final judgment, decree, or order issued by a United States district court ruling upon the constitutiona...

(a)
    (d)
    (1) An appeal may be taken directly to the Supreme Court of the United States from any interlocutory or final judgment, decree, or order issued by a United States district court ruling upon the constitutionality of subsection (a).
    (2) The Supreme Court shall, if it has not previously ruled on the question, accept jurisdiction over the appeal and advance on the docket and expedite to the greatest extent possible.

The Confederate Battle Flag you have pictured with this post is an historic flag from a period in American History. It's not offensive, it's not racist, it's a part of our American heritage. One cannot rewrite history to suit themselves, nor 'ban' it out of existence.
  • Assassi... ☆GrayBe... 2012/04/09 22:17:03 (edited)
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Did I not just say they should take it down. Save your lecture for someone who disagrees
  • ☆GrayBe... Assassi... 2012/04/10 07:24:55
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    Not a lecture, statement of fact citing the difference between the two flags.
  • Cal Assassi... 2012/04/09 18:39:02
    Cal
    +1
    Completely a separate issue. Please read the US Laws concerning the stars and bars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
  • Average Joe 2012/04/09 16:56:20
    Average Joe
    +2
    It's a part of history and we ignore too much of history by refusing to learn from it. The confederate flag flies proudly at the intersection of I-75 and I-4 greeting all travelers from the North as they enter the Tampa Bay area.
  • SJG 2012/04/09 16:50:03
    SJG
    +3
    No, that piece of crap is still part of history. But it should be flown below every other flag.

2014/10/31 11:28:42