Should Texas secede and become own country ruled by the State and not the Federals?

Durf 2009/04/04 03:29:51

• Hutches 2009/06/23 02:15:52
    Yes we could manage without Washington D.C.
    Hutches
    +6
    I am very pro-sucession! We have enough solar and wind energy potential to support ourselves, job creation is high in Texas, foreign support would be high, etc. Plus, we aren't quite as redneck as some people would like to believe, and our political leaders could do some real good. Call me biased, but I like the sound of it.
    Oh, and Texas xan secede because we were the only state to be admitted into the Union voluntarily, as an independent nation. We reserve the right to secede in the best interest of the people.

• Maria 2012/12/19 21:55:50
    Maria
    I think we Texas should break away from the US and Washington, DC.
    The Federal Government has demonstrated they cannot or will not defend Texas from armed durg runners corssing our border. They have in fact aided and abetted drug runners by providing them with weapons. (Fast and furious - The Federal Government would like nothing better to take our guns but has no problem giving guns to drug runners) The Federal Government cannot or will not prevent illegal immirgation nor inforce the law to return illegal immirgants.
    The Federal Government is ignoring the 4th and soon the 2nd ammendment of the Constitution.
    The State of Texas has little in common with Washington at this point. The do-nothing, tax and spend congress is not acting in the interest of the country and certainly not in the interest of Texas.
    We can do better on our own.
    The State of Texas has everything necessary to be a self sustaining Republic, once again.
    Energy, agriculture, manufacturing, shipping, areospace - you name it.
  • Phillip 2011/08/01 03:20:18
    Phillip
    yes i think Texas we be a very good country.
  • ndh777 2011/02/12 22:06:53
    ndh777
    I've never been a Texas citizen nor currently am but think that would be a great idea. Texas has been the one state that comes to mind that practically was its own country before the U.S. took it in as well as Hawaii and some others, I think, but regardless, it'd be nice to see them prevail. Our country is great, but it's getting corrupted big time, and states should be allowed to leave if they wish even if they wouldn't survive. Truthfully, if they succeeded, I'd go and live there. The U.S. isn't what it once was.
  • MichaelB. 2010/06/19 02:49:03
    MichaelB.
    +2
    I'm a very PROUD TEXAN I've been here my whole life and I deeply believe Texas should part ways with the u.s.. Texas as one of the strongist and growing ecomonies in the whole U.S. and we have all the resouces to substain our new Republic we have lumber, imports and exports and most of all oil. So when we finily leave this slow acting and power hungry government in D.C. I'll support OUR REPUBLIC OF TEXAS. GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!!
  • iambrian 2010/02/06 04:39:34
    No, we may rattle our swords, but we are part of the U.S.
    iambrian
    +1
    I'm a Texas, been here my whole life. BUT I AM PROUD to be an AMERICAN. American we were born, American we shall live. I feel like all of the "issues" can be resolved without succession. IF ANYTHING... we can remain a part of Texas but become divided some other way. But I believe "leaving" the other states is a bit too much.
    Our own, "Bush" became president, probably because of his brother or whatever who WAS doing the ballots for the election for his presidency, no wonder why he made it.
    He dropped America's expectations for 8 years straight. Barack Obama is now here, I don't care if Chuck Norris was President, it's a new person, with pure new views on America, and change is coming, just a matter of EVERYBODY AMERICAN doing their part, being supportive. If change doesn't come, in a matter of let's say, 3-7 years..well we'll have our anser. Otherwise, ain't no freakin rush.
  • clatyon 2009/12/04 19:00:39
    clatyon
    Excerpt from the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~Read the last sentence carefully, I give it 10 years max till we have to rebuild.

Excerpts from the Declaration of Independence stating the King of England's faults:
    -He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good. ~In other words the laws passed by states were rejected by a higher power.
    -He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation: ~Good example: Former half of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution sta...

-He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation: ~Good example: Former half of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution states "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." In other words, gun laws are illegal.
    -For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent: ~When was the last time we voted on taxes?
    ~In summary, we are transforming into what we accomplished to remove from our society.

The United States of America was set up to be a nation for the people. However when was the last time our government took a good look at the founding principals on which this nation was established? I could keep going, but should I really?

In other words...if we have to, I say YES!
  • KKP 2009/09/02 08:53:44
    KKP
    +3
    the government is trying to take over our parental rights!
  • chris 2009/08/26 19:26:44
    chris
    +3
    I believe that we do need to change, but Texas can't do it alone. I think that one idea would be for the country to splt into totally new territories, maybe seven or eight new territories and become seperate countries. However, we still need to protect eachother. The fact is this country is just to large for "One Man." Everyone of us is hoping that some big change is going to happen, that some miracle is going to happen. Well sorry, but you can't just sit around and wait for things to happen. If you want something done, then it is YOU that has to do it, you don't sit at home and wait for your food to come running to you, YOU go and get it. Now ask yourself this, are you going to keep sitting and keep hoping that something will change? If NO, then what are you going to do? If you are, well then I would think your either A) pretty lazy B)pretty selfish or C) just a really f***** up person. but ofcourse that is just my opinion and doesn't reflect how everyone else might feel about you.
  • Hayduke 2009/07/19 06:01:33
    Hayduke
    +5
    Texan = arrogant ignorance.
    Yes please leave the Union, you are an embarrassment to the United States. Take the traitor Bush with you.
    -Brought to you by the American Friends for Texas secession.
  • Durf Hayduke 2009/07/20 18:38:01
    Durf
    +1
    How are we an embarassment to the US? You're more of an embarassment displaying your own "arrogant ignorance"
    I love the made -up name.
    Durf
  • elishagambino 2009/06/25 06:23:42
    elishagambino
    +3
    I think texas would do fine. With this bufoon in office (Obama), Texas should become their own country. If Texas does become their own country, I think other states will join you guys. Also, my family and I would be delighted to move there!
  • Hutches 2009/06/23 02:15:52
    Hutches
    +6
  • Hahaha 2009/05/06 04:04:53
    Hahaha
    +1
    I would like to see Texas do it have fun wit no military, securing the border between you and Mexico no money all the crazy right wing lunatcs and again have a good time stopping the drug cartels and the Mexican government from taking you over (remeber Texas was part of mexico first) with little money and no army!!! !!! But remeber what happened last time you hicks tried to seccede ( civil war).
  • Durf Hahaha 2009/05/06 05:17:13
    Durf
    We would do fine. The whole fuckin country can't do anything you mentioned.
    Durf
  • MichaelB. Hahaha 2010/06/19 03:00:26
    MichaelB.
    +1
    Well The US isn't securing the border any way. And so many Texans would join the New Texas Army to defend our GREAT REPUBLIC. I'd love to see the USA whenb they lose their largest oil supplier. So in time the US would be on OUR door step asking for OUR oil and we would get all our money back plus more. And if Mexico would try to invade we would reple them like the first time. GOD BLESS THE NEW RUPUBLIC OF TEXAS. The World will not end in 2012 Just the usa.
  • Amy Parrish 2009/04/24 13:52:26
    Amy Parrish
    +1
    I have been a Texan all my life, and would love to see the day that we no longer have to live under the thumb of the Federal Government! I honestly think our State would be better off! All that Money I send to the dang IRS every year would no longer be used to bail out stupid auto makers and banks...MAKES ME SICK!!
  • Durf Amy Par... 2009/04/25 01:25:57
    Durf
    Amen's to the both of ya'll (AmyandHan). We'll only win this issue with votes.
    Durf
  • Nan 2009/04/18 20:06:56 (edited)
    Nan
    +1
    I think they should. Texas would do just fine...And since the United states is outsourcing their jobs...they can always send them here....Texans would protect this state if it were to become its own.

Something has to be done. We have suffered for years and years. If the people in this country don't wake up, we will be in a lot of hurt. Our jobs are leaving more and more, pretty soon America will be a third world country. We need to take care of ourselves but we can't do it when everything we work for is going away little by little by Washington. And the taxes we pay...thats a whole different subject...
  • stvngrubbs 2009/04/18 06:11:38
    stvngrubbs
    +1
    i believe that there will be benefits of this but at the same time we are going to suffer some. were not going to be as powerful in the military so other countries can come take us over and i know you think of usa can help us but do you think they will after we do this and we wont have much trading to border countries because mexico is about to declare bankruptcy so that wouldn't help us economically.
  • Mary J=D 2009/04/17 19:02:43
    Mary J=D
    +1
    I think texas should leave!
    and become their own amsterdam!
  • judypatudy 2009/04/05 12:01:29
    judypatudy
    +1
    I think we would survive and do great without the other states.. We are self sufficent you know? manage washington dc survive sufficent
  • Jon Bergen 2009/04/05 07:59:32
    Jon Bergen
    +1
    Texans generally allege their state has this right, but does it? I would really enjoy seeing proof of this. If true, however, Texas should!

Some reasons why:

1. As the primary border country - Texas would in effect become an independent nation - huge economic benefits from cross-border trade;

2. Texans at last get to decide to handle the drug-trade, Mexican immigrants moving illegally (or legally!) into the U.S., other smuggling, and related border issues as they see fit;

3. Texas no longer subject to decisions taken by federal government (representing states across the U.S. with very different ideas than Texans' about how to run a large continental country).

The rest of the nation - those who love Texas, those who hate Texas, those who are indifferent - will finally learn how the U.S. gets along without the Lone Star State. A lesson for non-Texans, as well as Texans. And a lesson on the subject of secession in general. Take notes, Quebec!

star lesson non-texans texans lesson subject secession general notes quebec
  • Durf Jon Bergen 2009/04/05 18:19:11
    Durf
    +1
    Q: Doesn't the Texas Constitution reserve the right of Texas to secede? [BACK TO TOP]
    A: No such provision is found in the current Texas Constitution[1](adopted in 1876) or the terms of annexation.[2] However, it does state (in Article 1, Section 1) that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..." (note that it does not state "...subject to the President of the United States..." or "...subject to the Congress of the United States..." or "...subject to the collective will of one or more of the other States...")

Neither the Texas Constitution, nor the Constitution of the united States, explicitly or implicitly disallows the secession of Texas (or any other "free and independent State") from the United States. Joining the "Union" was ever and always voluntary, rendering voluntary withdrawal an equally lawful and viable option (regardless of what any self-appointed academic, media, or government "experts"—including Abraham Lincoln himself—may have ever said).

Both the original (1836) and the current (1876) Texas Constitutions also state that "All political power is inherent in the people ... they have at all times the inalienable right to alter their government in such manner as they might think proper."

Likewise, each of the united Stat...""""""""

Likewise, each of the united States is "united" with the others explicitly on the principle that "governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends [i.e., protecting life, liberty, and property], it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government" and "when a long train of abuses and usurpations...evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." [3]

Durf
  • Jon Bergen Durf 2009/04/19 20:06:41
    Jon Bergen
    +1
    Cool.

In that case, perhaps it is time to dissolve this Union of States in America? Red State America secedes from federally-administered, D.C.-controlled Blue State America?

Might make everybody happy!

union america red america secedes federally-administered -controlled blue america happy

To make a decent map, perhaps a deal could be worked out? The Blue States turn over Colorado and New Mexico to Red State America in exchange for South Carolina and Georgia? Then it would really be three Americas: America Blue (East Coast), America Green (West Coast), America Red (Middle). Would sure change the nature of life on this continent, and life would be a lot more interesting.

Hell, we should give it a go!
  • Groucho... Jon Bergen 2009/05/13 19:22:29
    Groucho Lenin
    +3
    The whole Red/Blue thing is a media diversion. There isn't a dime's worth of difference between the demoplican and republicrat parties. It's just a matter of deciding whether the left boot or the right boot feels better on your neck.
  • Jon Bergen Groucho... 2009/05/14 21:39:27
    Jon Bergen
    +1
    Of course it's a game played by the media so we tune in, and then blog about the propaganda we've been force-fed.

My point - if I had one - would be that it was tried before. Nobody remembers the Delian League. There's a good reason for that. It was a loose confederacy of ancient Greek city-states which cost the Greeks their place at the pinnacle of the Western World. The member states argued, dropped out, went their separate ways. So that once the opposition of Carthage was broken after a long struggle, the Mediterranean lay at the feet of Rome. Unchallenged. The Greeks should have been there to challenge them. Had Greece and Carthage both been in the game, Rome would have been out, and the history of our species would have taken a different course.

As a continent-spanning empire, America will always be a powerhouse, even if displaced economically in a multipolar globalized world.

So what if America gave secession a try?

If the Confederacy had prevailed, I submit that world history would have been almost as different as if Rome had never seized the spotlight on the world stage.

Maybe the world would be better off that way. Maybe it wouldn't.

Either way, Texas as a completely independent free state, as a haven and experiment for Libertarians, a place where Ron Paul and Kinky Friedman excite the passions and loyalties of the citizens? I like it!
  • jetsqui 2009/04/04 10:48:01
    jetsqui
    +1
    yes. and i wish virginia would too!
  • Colbert 2009/04/04 07:39:45
    Colbert
    Yes! Please leave.
  • vogwawoman 2009/04/04 07:34:01
    vogwawoman
    +1
    Hell yes..........do it so those of us that love America can join you there.
  • rabbut: patriot squared wit... 2009/04/04 06:44:26
    rabbut: patriot squared with sugar on top
    +1
    I thought Texas WAS a country already.
  • Alphalily 2009/04/04 06:31:27
    Alphalily
    +1
    I am a Texan . I think we should secede. I love the United States , but they are all too willing to follow Washington.
  • old guy 2009/04/04 06:23:12
    old guy
    +2
    The federal government should be abolished.
  • SouthernB 2009/04/04 05:57:23
    SouthernB
    +2
    Yes, THEY should secede. The U.S. is rapidly cartwheeling away from the solid core values that Texans hold. The sooner that they separate themselves from a U.S. going liberal, the better for Texas. Otherwise they will flush down the toilet, too.
  • Zuggi 2009/04/04 04:45:35
    Zuggi
    +1
    I'm a Texan and a proud citizen of the United States. It's not going to happen.
  • Rusel 2009/04/04 04:24:47
    Rusel
    +2
    Yes, if the Federal Government continues to ignore the Constitution and the provisions of Article I Sections 8 and 9, and Amendments 9 & 10.

Texas was once an independent country and has previously left the Union because of the actions of the Federal Government.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Civil War did nor settle the question of secession. Any competent lawyer will tell you that any concession or agreement obtained under duress or at the point of a gun is invalid and nonenforceable.
  • scoot 2009/04/04 04:18:43
    scoot
    +1
    go Texas i will relocate .
  • Eternal11 2009/04/04 03:52:06
    Eternal11
    +2
    that is why am so glad to be here, we are large enough to lead the others out of the yoke of stupidity!
  • Durf 2009/04/04 03:33:39
    Durf
    +3
    I think it's brilliant, we could become our own Amsterdam.
  • Durf Durf 2009/04/04 04:14:21
    Durf
    Hey I'm serious, it's on the books. we could do it!
    Durf

2014/10/22 08:05:46