Should Taxi Drivers Be Fined for Aiding Prostitutes?

SodaHead News 2012/06/27 13:00:00
New York City cabbies will be a lot more reluctant to transport sex workers now that Mayor Michael Bloomberg has signed a new bill that will heavily penalize the act. According to The Frisky, the harsh penalties won't hit until the second offense -- then they hit hard. The second time a NYC taxi driver is convicted of knowingly transporting a prostitute, it's a whopping $10,000 fine.

However, there are some rather obvious catches. Cabbies cannot be expected to make a judgment call based on appearance, so it will probably be difficult for law enforcement to make a case against the drivers. For that reason, critics of the law are concerned that it will force drivers to discriminate against anyone they feel might possibly be a prostitute. Do you think the law is fair?

prostitute

• Marianne wamcalif 2012/06/30 18:11:08
    Marianne
    And you are so right. It is a shame.
  • mwf122090 2012/06/30 07:05:39
    mwf122090
    +2
    The cab driver is providing transportation and receiving compensation for said transportation. It's his job, he's not being paid to especially driver hookers, he's just being paid to drive anyone.
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/06/30 05:35:42
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +3
    Well maybe it would be a good idea, if we can also fine people for knowingly having voted for tyrant Obama, especially if they do it a second time.

Otherwise, I am wondering about all the ways this "law" could be abused, and how like about everything that this corrupt government does, it will backfire?

government entrapment cartoon
  • truthman 2012/06/30 05:12:57
    truthman
    +4
    are we going to let the cabby drivers police the people now? give me a break. Bloomberg is an idiot. I can hear him now......hey you prostitute get out of my cab and throw away that 32 ounce drink too!
  • Melody 2012/06/30 04:34:17
    Melody
    +2
    If they take the time to figure out that the person being driven was a prostitute.. why fine the driver and not the prostitute...?
    I mean sure, it's good to try to keep prostitution down but this probably won't work.
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/06/30 03:55:26
    Call me Mark willya?
    +3
    Not if they pay, Not the hack's business what she does for a living his business is moving people for money.
  • Budge 2012/06/30 03:53:36
    Budge
    +3
    That's a ridiculous law. Unless the prostitute is having sex in the back of the cab, the driver should not be required or expected to make a judgement.
  • art1ej 2012/06/30 03:43:57
    art1ej
    +2
    So taxi drivers know there picking them up??.its not like their having sex in the taxi & splitting the money....
  • weenyboy 2012/06/30 03:19:58
    weenyboy
    +4
    If the cabby REFUSES service to anyone, he is accused of "discrimination" and fined, fired or suspended! How in the hell will any cabby or anyone else know who is or is NOT a hooker? .... except for Elliot Spitzer that is! But then did his hookers LOOK like hookers? Hell NO!
  • Pronata... weenyboy 2012/06/30 05:39:22
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    Well that's a good point. It ought to be a "crime" for evil politicians to try to pass contradictory "laws." Either it's okay to discriminate or it's not? But we have so many stupid laws, you can be perfect, and still in "violation?"
  • Tinka123 2012/06/30 01:44:27
    Tinka123
    +7
    Hookers are people too...
  • Latti I... Tinka123 2012/06/30 01:45:24 (edited)
  • Tinka123 Latti I... 2012/06/30 01:47:15
    Tinka123
    +5
    Oh - everyone's a criminal these days. It's impossible not to be.
  • M. M. 2012/06/30 00:41:10
    M. M.
    +4
    this has discrimination lawsuit written over it.
  • Lyndzz 2012/06/30 00:15:17
    Lyndzz
    +3
    Why should the taxi driver getting fined?! His job is to transport people places... No matter what they do! And if they judge on appearance, they may not always know so this bill doesn't make much sense to me
  • truthman Lyndzz 2012/06/30 05:17:05
    truthman
    +2
    exactly, why dont Bloomberg do his job and get hookers off the street. he cant but he expects cabbys to do it? what an idiot.
  • Aquaduck 2012/06/29 23:29:54
    Aquaduck
    +2
    Do they get fined for knowingly driving drug dealers, murderers, burglars? If yes, then fine them for this too, but if not, then it wouldn't be fair.
  • James(J.D.)Gragg 2012/06/29 22:52:36
    James(J.D.)Gragg
    +3
    Has this country lost it's fg mind? ...So now "Racial Profiling" is MANDATED by city officials to make cabbies 'make the call? What if the prostitute is going home AFTER she does her business! What about the ladies that are NOT prostitutes BUT have issues with taste in clothing and dressing themselves!!! Lawyers, line-up!
  • Callaway 2012/06/29 22:45:04
    Callaway
    +4
    More nonsense from Mayor Bloomingpuss this guy must have nothing else to do but come up with this silly time wasting BS, like the NYC cops have nothing else to do but this.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/29 22:29:50 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    First, there is a difference between a trafficked person and a prostitute. Next, cracking down on prostitutes and prostitution also drives human traffickers into hiding. Also, transporting someone home for a fee should not be illegal. Believe it or not, but we are not better than prostitutes (these are women with the same rights as the rest of us have. They are already preyed upon by murderers and rapists to begin with! Because society turns a blind eye). Although I have a few moral qualms about prostitution- I think that punishing prostitutes is wrong. Already society looks down upon sex workers- refusing to allow them a common form of transportation in NYC would be pointless and wrong. Also the fact that prostitution is illegal- is inherently misogynistic, no matter what I or you, or they may think they have the right to conduct their business in safety.
  • mae 2012/06/29 21:54:58 (edited)
    mae
    +2
    But honestly. Now hookers will clean themselves up--as in--dress well, speak little, stay off the phone while in the cab, and still catch a cab. Who's to know? Aiding an injured person is a different story.
  • Bruce Carrubba 2012/06/29 21:06:42
    Bruce Carrubba
    +5
    Give me a break! This law is clearly unconstitutional. Bloomberg, you are an idiot.
  • truthman Bruce C... 2012/06/30 05:18:15
    truthman
    +3
    I think Bloomberg is loosing his mind.
  • wamcalif Bruce C... 2012/06/30 12:44:59
    wamcalif
    +1
    In Bloomberg's billionaire world, the rest of the world should behave as he deems proper. The rules do not apply to Bloomberg himself. He gets a third term as mayor despite the law permitting only two terms. He lands his helicopter in a residential heliport on weekends, despite the law forbidding so. No extra large soda at the movies (never mind that the xtra large popcorn with butter makes up for any calories saved).
  • EricVanSingleton 2012/06/29 21:04:56
    EricVanSingleton
    +1
    If you know you're driving the get-away car, aren't you part of the heist? I think the fine is excessive, but justified.
  • truthman EricVan... 2012/06/30 05:24:16
    truthman
    +1
    really? Would you be willing to ask every female if she is a prostitute? This is discrimination. If a woman is not dressed like the cab driver thinks she should be then the lady dont get a ride. Only the high dollar whores that dress to the nines will go undetected. Poor people that dont dress as well will not be able to get a cab because the cabby will be so paranoid of the fine . Bloomberg is an idiot.
  • EricVan... truthman 2012/06/30 15:44:36
    EricVanSingleton
    Bloomberg is an idiot, and I'm really not sure how enforcible this law would be, but the question did say "knowingly transporting a prostitute," and that's what influenced my answer. I remember how hard it was to get a cab to take me to the Bronx. Regardless of how I was dressed, I was still Black.
  • truthman EricVan... 2012/06/30 19:32:19
    truthman
    +1
    thats why this would be discrimination. Bloomberg wants to leave it up to a cabby on who is a prostitute and who is not. If i was a cabby and this became law in New York city i would pickup NO WOMEN because if one was found to be a prostitute i would be fined $10,000 dollars! See what im saying?
  • The Bee... truthman 2012/07/01 20:38:39
    The Bee Guy
    Fact is: The law was designed (the knowingly comment?!) to stop cabbies from running a prostitution business from his (or her) taxi. It was not meant to stop a prostitute from getting a cab across town, Likely more to stop child prostitution;
  • truthman The Bee... 2012/07/02 05:06:25
    truthman
    I still dont think its the cabbys job. IMO, Bloomberg is an idiot. He thinks he is the King and New York is his kingdom.
  • AGPhillbin 2012/06/29 20:51:37
    AGPhillbin
    +3
    This is an idiotic, totalitarian law. How is a taxi driver supposed to know what their passengers do for a living? And how many people will they be forced to pass by because they think the person might be a prostitute?
  • Jeffrey C 2012/06/29 19:45:41
    Jeffrey C
    Yes if, and only if, they knowingly are providing such aid. If so they should face accomplice liability. If they are not knowingly, or reasonably should know, they are providing aid they should not.
  • I am the Don Dada 2012/06/29 19:29:53
    I am the Don Dada
    +2
    What if its a Male prostitute? How are they supposed to figure that out?
  • tweet_tweet 2012/06/29 19:27:40
    tweet_tweet
    +2
    This most definitely encourages discrimination. It's not a cabbie's job to ask people if they're hookers. All they're supposed to do is drive people where they want to go...stupid.
  • MiMi 2012/06/29 19:27:15
    MiMi
    As long as they aren't giving them rides for free lol.
  • Barb 2012/06/29 19:20:47 (edited)
    Barb
    +1
    In what bizarre world is a taxi driver judge and jury? And why should they be penalized for this mess? Prostitutes are people, in case the Mayor of NYC has overlooked that fact.
  • Marek 2012/06/29 19:01:02
    Marek
    +1
    Why should the drivers be penalized for doing their job carrying paying customers to their destinations?
  • stevie.luplow 2012/06/29 18:25:27
    stevie.luplow
    How about we fine them for driving teenagers, politicians, business people, other cabbies, families and every other type of person in this world? What happened to not discriminating against people?
  • wildthang 2012/06/29 17:53:27
    wildthang
    +3
    Prostitution should be leagl and billionaire mayors should be outlawed.
  • macaction 2012/06/29 17:38:50
    macaction
    Just freaking great...now i have to figure out a new way to get my bitchiz here on the weekends.

2014/04/16 04:37:55