Should Target Employees Join a Union?

Fox reports that around 250 Long Island Target employees are gathering on Friday to vote on whether or not to join a union.

If they do vote to join a union, it will become the first Target chain in the country to have unionized labor force.

The hours and pay for jobs selling clothes, computers and other goods have been declining in recent years. At the same time, the industry has faced decreasing union membership, which can limit workers' ability to fight for better wages.

Many of the 1,700 Target stores across the country are expected to follow suit if the Long Island chain unionizes.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/17/target-faces-...

• The polite zombie 2011/06/17 22:16:15
    The polite zombie
    +12
    No! Those kind of unions are just corporations themselves. The worker doesn't come out ahead. It's target. It's a good place to work for part time pay. No one should be making a career out of it.

• Ken Schauer 2013/01/06 20:56:03
    Ken Schauer
    +1
    Of course they should be given the opportunity to join a union. The employers at the Target store intimidated and threatened the employees to prevent a yes vote, and have been found guilty in the court of law. This has triggered a re-vote, and the outcome may very well be different this time around.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/06/29 03:03:35
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/06/21 21:17:14
    TruBluTopaz
    For low income employees, unions will claim they get paid more, but unions skim money off the top. It's a real shock to employees who have not been in a union to see how much the union takes in dues.
  • tom C 2011/06/21 05:43:43
    tom  C
    The union has out lived its usefulllness.
    They have ruined many industries...but..on the other hand....without ANY employee organiziation...companies...will go back to the 1930's and abuse employees...
  • Lanikai 2011/06/20 12:18:33
    +2
    Unions destroy the companies they take over, fastest way to kill a company or move it out of america is unionize.

Unions are to companies like heartworms are to dogs.
  • Red Branch 2011/06/20 02:46:40
    Red Branch
    +3
    It should be no.

However, that is all irrelevent because they voted no in their election.
  • Lord Nils 2011/06/20 02:23:51
    Lord Nils
    +6
    They voted and the union LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now the crybaby thugs of the union are DEMANDING that the employees unionize.
  • Nobamma 2011/06/19 22:47:06
    Nobamma
    +3
    If they vote to join a Union, Target should close the store.
  • BiGfAtSoNoFaB*TcH 2011/06/19 21:09:43
    BiGfAtSoNoFaB*TcH
    +3
    SodaHead should hire better editors. The question could've been worded much better. It should've been "Should Target Employees HAVE THE CHOICE To Join A Union?
  • marylou5 BiGfAtS... 2011/06/20 18:00:56
    marylou5
    +1
    They had a choice and voted, NO!

No matter how you want the question worded...Target employees in their wisdom, and with common sense voted NO. Doesn't get any clearer than NO.
    NO means NO!
    What don't you get?
  • BiGfAtS... marylou5 2011/06/20 19:05:06
    BiGfAtSoNoFaB*TcH
    What don't you get? I simply stated that the question should've been worded, and it was worded poorly. If the employees voted no, then more power to them. The benefits or ramifications of that vote will be for them to deal with. So take your snide vindictive attitude somewhere else.
  • marylou5 BiGfAtS... 2011/06/21 04:34:31
    marylou5
    I get that you are in favor of Unions and are very angry.
    Employees had a vote and exercised it, knowing exactly what they voted for, and more power to them.

They don't want to pay union dues, strike when the fat cat union hierarchy gets an itch,
    or be subservient to union thugs and their pressure!
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/06/19 20:58:01
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +4
    NO way in, well just no way.
  • fiftyfive 2011/06/19 18:51:05
    fiftyfive
    +3
    Union's are killing this country my dad was a teamster and he said it back in the 60's I could right a book on this subject.
  • easyeduri~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/19 18:33:15
    easyeduri~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    This is a rhetorical rehash of different story which is closely related. The other story told of rejecting a union at another US Target store near New York. It appears Sodahead is is playing this conquer and divide card by reinserting these stories in attempt to distort the focus about unions and their potentially destructive antics to a right to work environment. The end result of this redundancy is attempting to obtain from its end users a poll result favouring unions to its delusional, yet whimsical satisfaction.

Here's what has to be done. I'll repeat what was posted in the other threads related to this subject. It's time to raise barriers to union formation. Unions tend to impair growth of companies that are quickly expanding. Unions hurt hiring, flexibility. Innovation and job formation are hindered. They protect unproductive and/or unambitious workers at the expence of those who want to succeed.
  • SocratesIII 2011/06/19 17:56:41 (edited)
    SocratesIII
    +3
    Why? so well have more incompetent employees but now they dont have to pass minimum reading and math test to do their jobs? Like those airport screeners that are now federal employees and uniounized so they dont have to be literate and pass any "hard" math and english literacy tests? Yeah, made me feel alot safer when these incompetent 10th grade drop outs started screaming...we cant pass the tests ...so we are refusing to take them...the Democrats said...sure...we arent going to make you pass any tests if you already have the jobs. Another time the Democrats made Amerca less secure to further their own agenda of power greed and corruption. tests jobs democrats amerca secure agenda power greed corruption screener groping a girl
  • eyemall 2011/06/19 16:31:45
    eyemall
    +2
    But it will probably happen since the people behind Target make most of their donations to Demcratic political candidates.
  • arabella 2011/06/19 15:38:43
    arabella
    +3
    Jobs are hard to come by. This is not a time to challenge any employer or potential employer. Why have so many companies moved out of the country? Other countries welcome the companies that will bring employment and revenue to their people. These countries don't have unions making demands for lavish pay and benefits.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/06/19 15:31:05 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    +4
    It would be to their advantage for them to join a union.I think they will vote in favor and their wages and benefits will be much better.Unions are needed badly in the private sector and this is a start.
  • bluelady 2011/06/19 15:00:51
    bluelady
    +3
    i worked for TArget once....they NEED a union...terrible to employees AND customers
    +4
    If that's what they want? Why not?
  • LVslotdoc 2011/06/19 09:07:56
    LVslotdoc
    +7
    Instead of ever having to rely on a union to fight for higher wages and better working conditions, I have always opted to give 110% to my employers, and they take care of me. I don't need a negotiator to talk to my boss for me.
  • Lanikai LVslotdoc 2011/06/20 12:21:40
    +2
    Ah, but in liberal paradise, less effort equals more reward. Look at GM, Chrysler and the TSA, oh, and the postal service.
  • LVslotdoc Lanikai 2011/06/20 19:37:12
    LVslotdoc
    +3
    Yeah, the kings and queens of "THAT'S NOT MY JOB!"
  • marylou5 LVslotdoc 2011/06/21 04:58:02
    marylou5
    +1
    My first statement when introduced to new subordinates in a new location is;

Every job here is mine, no matter how menial.
    Every job here is yours, no matter how important you think you are.
    If you want to keep your job, don't ever tell me, "That's not my job"!

You must loathe that expression as much as I do! LOL
    If you can't or won't work as a team, you're expendable.IMHO
  • California Jones 2011/06/19 08:48:31
    California Jones
    +7
    Unions are run by THUGS and are obsolete.
  • ★Calliope★ 2011/06/19 04:29:22
    ★Calliope★
    +7
    Not if they prefer not to join.

The unions are no longer looking out for anything but their own bloated retirements and political sucking up. It's a damn shame that unions have gone socialist.
  • rusty 2011/06/19 01:56:46
    rusty
    +9
    They voted against it
  • debrara... rusty 2011/06/19 18:23:37
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    +2
    I'm glad they did! It shows that the Target employees have more brains than the Democrats who Target supports!
  • Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL* 2011/06/19 01:42:49
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +9
    H*** no !......Do these clueless workers have any ideas how corrupt unions have become ? Even if they do vote on a union they are still not guaranteed more hours. clueless workers ideas corrupt unions vote union guaranteed No unions logo
  • debrara... Flaming... 2011/06/19 18:24:32
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    +2
    Apparently according to Rusty .........

Those employees aren't brainless at all!
  • Flaming... debrara... 2011/06/19 19:04:10
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    On one of the articles i read late last night it said that they voted no on the union... I did this one before i read the other article last night. Have a good day.
  • debrara... Flaming... 2011/06/20 01:32:23
    debrarae POTL _ PWCM
    +2
    thanks
  • Nudenz 2011/06/19 01:41:23
    Nudenz
    +5
    Will it protect them from exploitation? If so; yes!
  • Nuke Nudenz 2011/06/19 01:54:24
    Nuke
    +6
    Who will protect them from the exploitation of the unions though?
  • tommyg ... Nuke 2011/06/19 02:12:23
  • Nuke tommyg ... 2011/06/19 02:35:17
    Nuke
    +5
    Yep and it's sad what unions have turned into these days, I don't see how they can ever get back to what they used to be either.
  • tommyg ... Nuke 2011/06/19 02:40:42
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +5
    With all the labor laws we have, do we really need them to be what they used to be?

Unless employers are allowed to break the law, their use is minimal.
  • Nuke tommyg ... 2011/06/19 02:43:47
    Nuke
    +4
    I know, that's what I said before too and why I said I don't see how they can get back to where they used to be; they really have no use anymore with labor laws in place.
  • Lanikai Nuke 2011/06/20 12:24:20
    but there is a giant bloated administration for the unions that always needs new blood to keep the coffers full, and DEMS in power to get them even more.

2014/04/25 08:06:03