SHOULD STUDENT LOANS BE FORGIVEN??

Drue-AFCL 2012/05/08 16:50:28

• Old Coyote sbtbill 2012/05/09 16:25:09
    Old Coyote
    So, it’s fair that almost half pay no income taxes? You want those on the upper end who have more than you think they should to pay more yet those on the lower end get a free ride.
  • sbtbill Old Coyote 2012/05/09 17:01:58
    sbtbill
    You got it Old Coyote. That is my opinion.
  • Old Coyote sbtbill 2012/05/09 20:03:23
    Old Coyote
    Then your problem is you are sticking your nose into a place it doesn't belong if you think it's your place to determine how much is enough for anyone but yourself.
  • sbtbill Old Coyote 2012/05/09 22:08:21
    sbtbill
    We have a representative government. What tax rates are is the business of us all.
  • chgo Louisa ... 2012/05/09 13:17:37 (edited)
    chgo
    You talk about you not wanting to pay for other people's education. Yet you say your grandkids attend community college, which is paid for by people's property taxes, etc. What's the matter? Can't afford private college/university? How about taking some "personal responsibility" and get an education from a private college? Oh, wait. Your family doesnt want all that financial burden put on them. And I bet your children attended state colleges/universities, too, didn't they? Hypocrisy is no stranger with conservatives. How do you think they're funded?by Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, what? No, through taxes too, not just yours'. Could you afford state college/university 50 years ago when it was only 5 dollars a class? If you were spending the same amount of money students do for college, you wouldnt have a college degree, if you do.

The US is an advanced civilization where all people contribute and take advantage of public goods and services through taxation. This country can afford free higher-education with cuts from obvious programs (military, wars, government contracts, etc.) How about you move to Somalia if you want to live in a nation operated under "personal responsibility"?
  • Louisa ... chgo 2012/05/09 13:49:36
  • chgo Louisa ... 2012/05/09 15:12:54 (edited)
    chgo
    In every state, taxpayers pay for community colleges and books. Maryland is no different than any other state. And your comment didn't say anything about your grandchildren transferring to private colleges. It said they were transferring colleges.
  • Louisa ... chgo 2012/05/09 22:59:20
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    You're telling me that I don't pay for community college for my grandkids? You are so ignorant that you won't even check out the cost of community colleges in Maryland. Where do YOU live that you get free community college AND books? Books alone average $475 a semester.
  • chgo Louisa ... 2012/05/09 23:36:08
    chgo
    I do pay for other students' books, tuition, etc. through Pell Grants.
  • Louisa ... chgo 2012/05/09 23:52:37
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    Well not everyone is eligible for Pell Grants.
  • chgo Louisa ... 2012/05/09 04:36:46
    chgo
    The discussion is about Stafford loans, not private loans. pay attention.
  • Louisa ... chgo 2012/05/09 13:52:24
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    Yes. I am aware that the discussion is about Stafford loans because this is the loan that we applied for. I already have one grandson repaying a Stafford loan of $25k. He doubles up on his payments.

And not to be critical, but you have a serious problem in reading comprehension. Perhaps you should take up the banjo.
  • chgo Louisa ... 2012/05/09 15:19:03
    chgo
    I have no issue with reading comprehension. I've read other comments by conservatives. They ignorantly think the discussion is about the forgiveness of all student loans. Since you said 25k in student loans, I assume you're including private loans too. Apparently, your grandson has been in college for more than 4 years.
  • Louisa ... chgo 2012/05/09 23:06:50
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    The $25k is from one student. There are other loans for another grandkid. These loans are Stafford. I handled the paperwork myself. There will be more loans in January 2013 when one of them enters a four year college for his last two years.

You don't actually know as much as you pretend to know. You might want to do some research before you run your mouth because you're making a fool out of yourself.
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2012/05/08 23:13:06
    NO
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    +1
    HELL NO!! Don't get them if you are expected to pay them back.
  • Jimbo 2012/05/08 23:05:43
    NO
    Jimbo
    +1
    Students should go to school to learn something so they can pay their loan back. Too many students are in college taking liberal arts courses. Like that is going to get them somewhere in life.
  • sbtbill Jimbo 2012/05/08 23:44:07
    sbtbill
    +1
    I use my history more then anything else in programming and accounting. It is the people with the pure degrees in the so called sciences that don't understand the whole problem and don't understand that things are related.
  • Jimbo sbtbill 2012/05/08 23:57:47
    Jimbo
    Most software developers don't use liberal arts or history to write software.
  • sbtbill Jimbo 2012/05/09 00:00:42
    sbtbill
    Most software developers develop junk.
  • Jimbo sbtbill 2012/05/09 00:13:49
    Jimbo
    Ok. If you say so.
  • Ricardo... Jimbo 2012/05/09 01:28:45
    RicardoCabeza
    +2
    But they sure do default on student loans, as do many automotive mechanic students, and History Majors.
  • Jimbo Ricardo... 2012/05/09 01:37:58
    Jimbo
    My wife has a Computer Science degree from UC Santa Cruz and we paid her student loan off.
  • sbtbill Ricardo... 2012/05/09 02:43:03
    sbtbill
    Would expect a lot more to do so.
  • Ricardo... sbtbill 2012/05/11 04:13:04
    RicardoCabeza
    Clandestine Spooks and FBI Men usually have History majors, Mechanics usually have a vertical market to apply their skill provided they receive certification.
  • Ricardo... Jimbo 2012/05/09 01:32:11
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    Accountant majors default almost as frequently as Liberal arts degrees, Most of the higher paid sales people in my office only have liberal arts degrees... The main determinant factor for default has of late been the economic status of their parents... perhaps we should just exclude poor people from higher education?
  • chgo Jimbo 2012/05/09 04:43:55
    chgo
    AZ has the lowest level of college graduates in the nation. what makes you think anyone cares what a redneck from AZ thinks?

"Like that is going to get them somewhere in life."

Maybe you should have gotten an English degree (if you even have gone to college in the first place) . you would've learned how to form complete sentences if you did.
  • Jimbo chgo 2012/05/09 06:41:22
    Jimbo
    I'm not from AZ. I'm from California. I grew up surfing the west coast. I moved here in my 30s.

I like your punctuation in the sentence where you are trying to make me look dumb. Maybe you need a college degree. Are you an angry arts grad that can't find a good job and wants someone else to pay their dept?

If AZ is so redneck why is Intel building their most advanced chip fab 30 miles from my redneck house?
  • chgo Jimbo 2012/05/09 12:39:23
    chgo
    The only reason why there are are many intel buildings in AZ is because your idiot state, last to time I checked, has little to no corporate taxes. I hear and read about campanies moving to the south all the time to evade responsibility. The same thing goes for Texas. They have zero corporate taxes. Neither one of these states have booming economies because of the tax breaks for companies either. Another played-out right-wing talking point destroyed .
  • Jimbo chgo 2012/05/09 14:42:09
    Jimbo
    OH so that's it. You think that because I live in AZ that I am Republican. I assure you that I am not. AZ is also not as right-wing as you think. There are a lot of religious people here but most people who live here are from the mid west and California.
    There are a lot of jobs here. I worked in San Jose, CA all through the 1990s and the pay was great but after 2000 there was no more work. There is a lot of good paying work in the greater Phoenix area and housing is very affordable. The tax breaks companies get are state taxes and do not affect you at all. AZ also provided social services that are much better than California ever has. Health Care for low income is totally free to them. It is much better than the health care that I pay $1000 a month for.

You live in a whole other world away and base your beliefs of AZ on what the news media says. You really have no idea what it's like to live, work and play here. You might want to educate yourself through experience instead of TV.
  • chgo Jimbo 2012/05/09 15:33:24
    chgo
    Lol. Arizona's economy is one of the worst in the nation.

Actually, because of az's low tax revenue, they get more federal dollars than they contribute to the federal government. Gotta love that red state socialism http://www.politifact.com/tru...

I'm sure there are some good and decent jobs out there in az. But az is ranked 45th in highest per-capita income.
  • Arel 2012/05/08 22:58:49
    NO
    Arel
    +2
    When you take out a loan, any loan, you are responsible for paying it back.
  • Ricardo... Arel 2012/05/08 23:29:54
    RicardoCabeza
    Would it not be a better idea to send the most brilliant on to higher education without the necessity to borrow on unseen events of the future?
  • Arel Ricardo... 2012/05/09 00:47:29
    Arel
    No. When you start picking winners and losers what is next?
  • Ricardo... Arel 2012/05/09 01:02:55
    RicardoCabeza
    Winners and losers?, we now have a siphon that allows for the exclusion of the lower portions of the socio economic stratus so why not allow those who have capacities to excel do so without the limitations of finances imposed upon them?, if we were to look at this in a proper way a large segment of the US population could obtain a higher education for about the same cost of the foreign aid given to Israel...
  • Arel Ricardo... 2012/05/09 01:06:57
    Arel
    ......and why is that? Why is the cost of tuition continuing to rise? There are grants for those in the lower socio economic scale we are talking about student loans. Anyone should be able to take out a student loan at a competative interest rate but they should also take the responsibility to pay it back.
  • Ricardo... Arel 2012/05/09 01:19:37 (edited)
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    While the grants you mention are limited to those whose parents are very poor (less than $24,000.00 annual income) they do not have resources to assist in their children's completion of their education, and as for the student loan system it is constructed to benefit from failure of the debt instrument and frequently creates problems when students wish to continue an education. The issue is more about crafting failure than creating graduates... you should look into the effect of this process and you will come to understand that the system that we had 40 years ago is not the same as it is today- it is more of a sub prime loan that offers no short sale or bankruptcy protection, and if you have children who are thinking of going to school talk them out of the loan system.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2012/05/08 22:58:11
    NO
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +2
    Of course not
  • KilrQueen 2012/05/08 22:48:44
    NO
    KilrQueen
    +2
    Did you get an education with that money? Yes? ok, then get a job and pay it back!!!
  • Ricardo... KilrQueen 2012/05/08 23:33:32
    RicardoCabeza
    But they only obtain positions in convenience stores, leaving industry to import foreign students who receive free educations...
  • KilrQueen Ricardo... 2012/05/09 03:01:57
    KilrQueen
    Nobody forced them take a job in a convenience store...you created the bill, you pay the bill...that's how life works.

2014/10/25 03:43:20