SHOULD STUDENT LOANS BE FORGIVEN??

Drue-AFCL 2012/05/08 16:50:28

• Linkums 2012/06/05 02:36:42
    NO
    Linkums
    Who's gonna pay for that? I can't think of any answer to that that is good.
  • Brosia 2012/06/05 02:32:57
    YES
    Brosia
    Here is the issue with the student loan debt: When you work for a degree, but that degree becomes useless, it is a waste of money. I feel, that if you can prove that you have looked for and failed to find a job in the field for 10 years upon completing your schooling, then the loan should be forgiven. But, the key is that you have to have finished the degree. I would not qualify for that as I didn't finish my degree, but I still owe $22,000 to some bank somewhere.
  • shadow76 2012/05/10 13:36:32
    NO
    shadow76
    +1
    They should pay them back like previous generations and stop whinning!
  • Muriel 2012/05/10 01:19:48
    NO
    Muriel
    +1
    Absolutely not!!! Why should they be forgiven. The philosophy of loans is to make it easier for students to attend college and become productive members of society. As members they don't need to contribute by become leeches on society. Pay up goof offs.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/05/09 21:04:07
  • 11 Phenomenon - eNews 2012/05/09 20:19:55 (edited)
    NO
    11 Phenomenon - eNews
    +1
    I think they should be forgiven in the case of disability. Also, I think they should be tied to income to some degree. If someone didn't get a good education they should not be punished forever. Some colleges and courses have become farces.

There should also be some recourse for people who are told tuition will be one price and find out it is something much different, such as Devry is known for doing. People should not be misled on things that are very complicated, such as tuition and funding. If the college employees who no doubt have degrees relating to their field cannot get it right, how is a student expected to become an expert in such things and go to school and work... There should be some accountability.

Lets face it, colleges have become more about gouging people and less about education. For example, the money they charge for a textbook is criminal... It is like a hospital charging $50 for an aspirin or the government charging $100 for a bolt. Just because they can does not make it right.
  • Iamfree 2012/05/09 19:12:25
    NO
    Iamfree
    +1
    Of course not. I want my money back!
  • Raithere 2012/05/09 19:06:57
    NO
    Raithere
    +1
    Hey here's an idea:

If you don't want to be in debt, DON'T TAKE OUT A LOAN!!!

hey debt loan
  • Searchin' 2012/05/09 18:19:55 (edited)
    NO
    Searchin'
    +1
    In an article entitled "Pomp and Circumstance, What's missing from the graduation card", Julie DelCour, Associate Editor of the Tulsa World writes "Already, student loan debt is at $1 trillion, surpassing credit card debt. If unemployed or underemployed graduates start defaulting on that student loan debt, another national economic crisis would occur." The question I have is who benefits from this level of national debt? Private lending institutions? Politicians? Colleges? And, as much as I believe Obama has done great harm to our economy, this level of debt has clearly been building up over a period of
    time. At some point, it seems to me, someone should have re-evaluated this program and maybe used one's major and proof of on-going academic success as one of the loan granting criteria. Personally, I wanted to attend Dartmouth and get a masters in womens' studies. But I looked around and realized that degrees like that would guarantee a job selling shoes at Sears and accordingly focused my goal on a major that would ensure me a job. If someone wants to study dead ancient languages, or womens' studies, then they should be prepared to pay their way since this is more of a hobby major than an earn an income major.
  • sbtbill Searchin' 2012/05/09 18:38:34
    sbtbill
    The point is that it is highly unlikely that 1 trillion will be paid. It is also probably bad for the economy to pull that much money out of it and reduce demand and spending in that way. The credit card debt is just another part of the problem.

We either need a lot of inflation to make this money payable or it is not going to get paid.
  • prosperhappily 2012/05/09 17:43:39
    NO
    prosperhappily
    +1
    I paid mine.
  • Bob S 2012/05/09 16:49:52 (edited)
    NO
    Bob S
    +1
    This wasn't a deal to bargain with at a later stage. You did the talk and now time to do the walk. Don't be like Obama and try to renogiate a better deal. It just won't hack it.
  • CAA_coffeeaddict 2012/05/09 16:13:12
    NO
    CAA_coffeeaddict
    +1
    They need to pay it back, it will make them responsible.
  • c.ruth93 2012/05/09 16:05:57
    NO
    c.ruth93
    +1
    I'm borrowing right now. I know the consequences of what I am doing. It's not impossible and I know in the end its totally worth it.
  • sbtbill c.ruth93 2012/05/09 18:13:11
    sbtbill
    Hope you are right.
  • c.ruth93 sbtbill 2012/05/10 03:07:35
    c.ruth93
    hopes all I got my friend
  • Ozzyboy 2012/05/09 15:31:42
    NO
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    A contract is a contract and it has to be honored. Students need to do research before they sign up for higher education. Will they be able to use that education and pay back the loan. I can't buy a car and then decide it is not worth it so I will not pay for the car. Sheesh!
  • sbtbill Ozzyboy 2012/05/09 18:14:12
    sbtbill
    So it is OK for business like the airlines to break contracts but not individuals?
  • Ozzyboy sbtbill 2012/05/09 20:17:28
    Ozzyboy
    I detest airlines, TSA and the like to the point that I don't give them any business. Of course it isn't ok for airlines to break contracts.
  • Arya 2012/05/09 15:26:21
    NO
    Arya
    +2
    Hell No.
  • politicalsoldier 2012/05/09 15:05:21
    NO
    politicalsoldier
    +3
    No, they just need to grow the f#$% up.
  • might 2012/05/09 14:46:10
  • DM Twin 2012/05/09 14:37:17
    NO
    DM Twin
    +2
    YOU TOOK THE LOAN.... TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS LOSERS....
  • Gwen 2012/05/09 13:47:21
    NO
    Gwen
    +2
    I don't think it is okay to have my neighbor pay for the education I freely choose to get and debt I freely choose to incur........however I would be okay with interest-free deferment for documented major illness, forgiveness of loans for death or joining a branch of the military serving the country...my initial thoughts anyway..

Besides...having an college education does not guarantee you will get a job...choose your education wisely.
    NO
    +2
    That is just wrong. You pay what you owe. The government takeover was wrong and will only balloon our deficit as government has the ability to play with this like a political football to get votes--that is all Obama and the dems vote is control and people are following them like sheep to the slaughter! You are being suckers!
  • Timmy 2012/05/09 13:10:36
    NO
    Timmy
    +2
    Why are they going to go back and pay for everyone that paid.
  • Sandman366 2012/05/09 12:37:04
    NO
    Sandman366
    +2
    Don't want the debt? Don't get a loan!
  • Maci 2012/05/09 12:33:10
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/09 12:29:19
    YES
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Under certain circumstances, yes. Long term unemployment, catastrophic medical, death. (No, death doesn't always get the loan forgiven, just ask some cosigners)
  • Foxhound BN0 2012/05/09 12:15:43
    YES
    Foxhound BN0
    +5
    make education free for everyone and watch us zoom forward!!!
  • Bob S Foxhoun... 2012/05/09 16:51:43
    Bob S
    NO NO a 1000 times NO. Many would waste peoples time and lots of money. Obama is doing a good job of that now.
  • Gwen Foxhoun... 2012/05/09 16:58:02 (edited)
    Gwen
    education didn't help OWS Harrison Schultz....he is "educated".....and refuses to take responsibility for his own success...wants everything given to him....paying for people like this....NO THANKS!
  • Gwen Gwen 2012/05/09 17:01:39
  • Kibelle 2012/05/09 11:38:37
    NO
    Kibelle
    +1
    That's why it's a loan.
  • Wolf 2012/05/09 08:57:01
    NO
    Wolf
    +1
    Loans should never be forgiven it is a contract you entered into and you should be responsible for the debt for your entire life until paid...the money after all came from someone...
  • D D 2012/05/09 08:38:21
    NO
    D D
    +1
    Mine wasn't. I have been paying it back for years and years. I only got it paid off last year.
  • Chukroast 2012/05/09 08:29:08
    NO
    Chukroast
    +1
    It's just like any other legal obligation. The only way to avoid paying back is to file bankruptcy, be declared insane, or kill yourself.
  • showe274 2012/05/09 05:58:58
    NO
    showe274
    +1
    NO just abolish the central bank and the rest will take care of itself.
  • sbtbill showe274 2012/05/09 16:57:04
    sbtbill
    The fed has it's problems but abolishing it wouldn't do anything for student loans
  • Will Roberts - WillRogersUSA.c 2012/05/09 05:40:53
    YES
    Will Roberts - WillRogersUSA.c
    Now I am the first person to tell you folks that if it’s not broke don’t fix it… but I might be the first person to tell you that if you car is broken DONT bring it to the washing machine repair man…

What’s becoming obvious to this humorist is that we have a group of people we call politicians that we keep giving our problems to, BOTH deems and reps and they don’t seem to be able to get us the answers we are paying for. Our taxes that we pay are really starting to make me feel like we are paying to get a palm reading and the problem is the answers they are coming up with is not the right answers. Which is odd, because if you keep asking someone to solve a problem and they keep passing the BUCK and not solving the problem.

I just can’t figure out why we just don’t fire the politicians and trade them in for a Magic 8 Ball. At least if that doesn’t work we can buy another one, or use two of them and get a second opinion.

Ok, so I am talking about student loans… however, you can switch the words student loan out for any other subject you like and it will all be the same.

This week hot off the grill is this student loan deal… Republicans want to keep the rates low, so they can use and strip Obama’s health care money to pay for the subsidies. Obama and the Democrats (Most of the...

This week hot off the grill is this student loan deal… Republicans want to keep the rates low, so they can use and strip Obama’s health care money to pay for the subsidies. Obama and the Democrats (Most of the deems, I think don’t want the money to be taken from Obama’ s health care … and want the richer people to be taxed.

Either way… This is the part of an election year and that makes every issue smell funny.

My plan:
    My suggestion is that we have those professors that are working 80 hours a week work a regular 40 hour week and these colleges that are charging so much money, well they can’t charge that much money unless they guarantee jobs when the students get out

Otherwise put everything online. You know, like the University of Phoenix, all online. I’m taking a course right now and I’ll never see the teacher again

If you can buy a PhD masters degree online for about $100 and it won’t mean anything. We can spend $200,000 a year and it still won’t mean anything when it comes to getting a job and I think we can find some way of lowering the prices. Maybe one way of lowering tuition is the idea to put everything online as much as I’m against that. Maybe can we pay off the debt if everybody worked from home and likes to be home at their business.
    Because if you are going to get robbed of a good education just make sure you’re not paying much money for it.

Will Roberts
    PoliticalComedians.com
    Twitter.com/WillRobertsUSA

2014/11/21 02:36:39