Should student loan DEBT be Forgiven??!!

BlueRepublican 2012/04/24 19:02:07
Yes, it should be forgiven
No, it should not be forgiven

As the media coverage of the student loan rate debate continues, Americans are becoming more opinionated over the subject. Not since the modern re-creation of the Department of Education in 1979 by Pres. Jimmy Carter, has there been so much scrutiny. Taking it one step further, there is now open discussion about the possiblity of students having their loans "forgiven" by the Federal government which guarantees those loans.

Advocates of student loan forgiveness draw attention to the overwhelming negative data regarding higher education. How 1/2 of college graduates are unemployed or underemployed. How the student loan bubble is nearing 1 trillion dollars and could mirror the housing market. And also, the inability to have these loans forgiven by bankruptcy protection.

It is in this climate of desperation that members of the Occupy movt as well as other organizations acclamate the federal govt to allow these citizens to have their student loans forgiven, in order to stimulate the economy. The 60-70 billion dollars in annual payments can go directly into the local economies and produce substantial growth.

Opponents of the measure cite that we cannot afford to add another Trillion dollars to our deficit and already MASSIVE national debt. They addd that in order to pay for this debt distribution taxes will need to be raised on all taxpayers. Furthermore, they claim it is unfair to those who worked hard and took responsibility for themselves.

In 1979 the avg undergraduate degree was around $5,000 compared to $25,000 or more today. With education costs out of control, and entitlement spending at 50% of the annual budget, many Americans are asking...

• teigan 2012/04/29 19:55:35
    No, it should not be forgiven
    teigan
    +9
    No way, this only teaches that you don't have to be responsible for your debts. It's unfair to those that have struggled to pay off their obligations and future students that will be accountable to pay theirs off. College students that can't find jobs give a little more thought to who they will vote for in the next election. They fell for the hope and change and are now living with their parents because there are no jobs and no future for them. These are the same students that voted for what they are living through now.

• sherie 2012/05/05 21:15:09 (edited)
    No, it should not be forgiven
    sherie
    Absolutely not.....you create the debt, you pay it off like all the rest of us.It's part of being an adult. None of us like it. I really do feel for college grads coming out of school and not being able to find jobs...it's awful, but I would hope anyone intelligent enough to get into college would be aware of the situation we are all faced with in these economic times. To expect someone else to pick up the tab is just wrong...if you default on your loans, where will the money come from for students after you? I would sure love someone to step up and pay my mortgage.....even my CHEVRON bill would be a huge help.......ya think it's gonna happen!?...... used to say when hell freezes over. Think it's even more emphatic to say when liberals and conservatives get along on SH ;)
  • dominic garcia 2012/05/05 13:24:41
    No, it should not be forgiven
    dominic garcia
    No absolutely not, It would be totally unfair for all the other students who paid for their student loans!
  • JoeLove~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/04 11:36:10
    No, it should not be forgiven
    JoeLove~PWCM~JLA
    I worked several jobs and paid off my student loan and supported my wife and 3 kids. Never been on unemployment or welfare. It was hard and it wasn't fun but it had to be done. It was MY responsibility, something people don't seem to understand anymore.
  • wolfshadow 2012/05/04 07:23:23
    Yes, it should be forgiven
    wolfshadow
    But I'm biased... having to pay mucho buckos every month because of a student loan....
  • TheTruth1313 2012/05/04 06:00:12
    No, it should not be forgiven
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    You were able to borrow it and now it is time to pay it back.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/05/04 03:47:19
    No, it should not be forgiven
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +4
    Rule of thumb.....don't bite off more than you can chew.
  • Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL* 2012/05/04 03:42:58
    No, it should not be forgiven
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +3
    No one twisted their arm to get that loan.....You borrow, you pay back.
  • Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWC... 2012/05/04 02:17:09
    No, it should not be forgiven
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Not no but HELL NO.......No one pays off my loans......never have.......I worked and payed them back myself.....
  • wysiwis 2012/05/03 16:35:21
    No, it should not be forgiven
    wysiwis
    +5
    No, I have/had to pay off all MY loans, they NEED to pay theirs! Too bad if they picked a career that they can't get a job in, I'm sure their parents tried to steer them in the right direction, but since the kids "know more than the parents", they didn't listen.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/30 17:14:28
  • Bob S 2012/04/30 17:05:41
    No, it should not be forgiven
    Bob S
    +4
    Absolutely not...If you want to further you future you must sacrifice to get ahead. If your going to forgive that type of loan, what's next...car. house, food, doctor etc etrc. No way should they be forgiven.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/30 15:32:12
    No, it should not be forgiven
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +6
    Keep interest rates low, but don't forgive it. We are already on the precipice of economic collapse, WTF is wrong with Americans, we can't keep going into more debt or it is going to destroy us!
  • Sig Sauer P220 2012/04/30 00:25:35
    No, it should not be forgiven
    Sig Sauer P220
    +8
    The students created that debt and they should pay it off ... Geez take RESPONSIBILITY for your own actions ... The government can not afford to bail out everybody ... WE ARE BROKE ...
  • wicked soda boy 2012/04/29 22:48:41
    No, it should not be forgiven
    wicked soda boy
    +7
    No, but the interest should not double either starting this July, like it will do if Obam-owe vetoes the GOP bill that extends the 3.5 % rates for another year.
  • WhereIs... wicked ... 2012/04/30 15:33:02
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    I agree they should keep the rates low.
  • wicked ... WhereIs... 2012/04/30 15:37:19
    wicked soda boy
    +3
    But Barry Hussein wants more revenue, so he says he will veto the extension of the low rates, even at the same time that Bernanke is promising to keep a near zero-rate policy at the Fed for another year-and-a-half. >_<
  • Bob S wicked ... 2012/04/30 17:06:56
    Bob S
    +3
    BUYING votes...what else is new. LOSER is really spelled OBUMMER.
  • potlatch 2012/04/29 22:41:44
    No, it should not be forgiven
    potlatch
    +8
    NO WAY, no way........ Young people better learn from the start that you pay for what you buy and that's what they did by 'buying' loans. Many have lingered for years in college, thinking they were on easy street. No more government 'pay-offs'!
  • CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle 2012/04/29 22:20:39
    No, it should not be forgiven
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
    +5
    Young people with student loans, and they can't balance their checkbook is a disaster. If the money could ONLY be spent for education, maybe, but for the taxpayers to pay for pizza parties and beer busts, HELL NO!
  • swim2bgood CHUCK -... 2012/04/29 22:27:42 (edited)
    swim2bgood
    +2
    I agree with your statement but most student loans go directly to the school
  • CHUCK -... swim2bgood 2012/04/29 22:32:54
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
    +1
    Wow, that much debt, times have really changed!
  • swim2bgood CHUCK -... 2012/04/29 22:45:39
    swim2bgood
    +2
    Increased tuition costs is one of the main problems! Its outrageous...
  • teigan 2012/04/29 19:55:35
    No, it should not be forgiven
    teigan
    +9
  • A Carpenter 2012/04/28 13:34:29
    No, it should not be forgiven
    A Carpenter
    +6
    nope, an education is 2 things, and investment in yourself for your future, and a debt WILLINGLY acccepted as part of a plan for that future.
    it is a contract conciously signed and accepted as part of your future going forward.
  • Beccy 2012/04/28 02:05:13
    +4
    What then do we do about the people who paid their's? It took me 20 years. Maybe we need to find ways to lower the cost of education
  • Sheila 2012/04/27 18:21:15 (edited)
    No, it should not be forgiven
    Sheila
    +8
    Did anyone force the poeple to take out the loans? No. Did they in fact attend school? Actually I will go as far as saying that doesn't even matter!! They signed on the dotted line. They could have done a tour in the military and used the GI Bill. But noooooo. They took a loan. Hell no it shouldn't be "forgiven" because you know what that translates to? WE pay for YOU to do what ever you want. NO. Possibly freeze the interest rates. Raise it nly on NEW loans. But NO on the you go to school for free thing. Personal responsibility-- it's not just for breakfast anymore.......
  • swim2bgood 2012/04/27 13:17:27
    Yes, it should be forgiven
    swim2bgood
    +2
    A bachelor's degree has become the new high school diploma and thus a requirement for many careers. I have seen postings in which you need a bachelor's degree just to be a secretary, excuse me let me be PC an administrative assistant. With this new necessity for a bachelor's degree it has become apparent that tax dollars should be used to allow every student to attend college. Why should the students that were born into wealthy families be the only students that can go without having to go into debt up to their eyeballs? We are trying to compete with the rest of the world in the global economy and we are beginning to fail. We spend enormous amounts of money on welfare and pointless wars overseas, why not use it on something that is actually going to better the people of his country? Why should one be punished for educating themselves? The system must be changed.
  • Sheila swim2bgood 2012/04/27 18:25:13
    Sheila
    +4
    BS. I will NOT pay for my kids to go. There are so many things that you do not need a degree to do that you can be very successful with. It is because of the overuse of college, it has become an extension of HS rather than a place of "higher education" and if we STOP playing along we will not be forced to continue. Why would anyone rack up that much debt (as much as a home for crying out loud) with NO possibility of getting ahead becaus of it?

If people want to go then go slowly and PAY FOR IT. That is WHY we didn't ALL used to go.

It does NOT benefit us as a nation to do this.
  • swim2bgood Sheila 2012/04/27 23:09:51
    swim2bgood
    It does not benefit a nation to educate its citizens? That is the most ignorant thing I may have ever heard.
  • potlatch swim2bgood 2012/04/29 22:53:51
    potlatch
    +5
    I think you misunderstand what she meant. All young people do not need college, some are not smart enough and would do better in other type jobs. There are too many college grads now and some are working menial jobs. Besides the "doctor and the lawyer, we still need the butcher, baker and the candle stick maker'. - An old rhyme.
  • swim2bgood potlatch 2012/04/29 23:02:32
    swim2bgood
    Hahaha I'm not that young that I don't remember that rhyme. I agree with you to an extent but unfortunately many of those jobs no longer exist. There are plenty of people in this country looking for unskilled labor and they can't find it. But to continue to compete in the global economy we need educate our citizens to continue to study and research and innovate.
  • potlatch swim2bgood 2012/04/29 23:10:27
    potlatch
    +2
    OK, I agree with you on this one, lol. All I can say is that we have to get rid of Obama before he completely destroys our country. It will take years to recover.
  • swim2bgood potlatch 2012/04/29 23:16:21
    swim2bgood
    +2
    Or we may never recover...that's my fear...
  • potlatch swim2bgood 2012/04/29 23:19:57
    potlatch
    +3
    We all fear it. Pray and vote, that's all we can do.
  • Sheila swim2bgood 2012/04/30 14:16:50
    Sheila
    +1
    Those jobe will always be there. Our hair grows. We eat. We drive cars that need service. We shop in stores that need staff. Do I want a college educated waiter? No. I want the waither who is in school while he is a waiter. The college educated waiter is pissed off. He is pissed at the world. He has wasted 4 years for what if he is waiting tables?

We need lawyers, engineers, Drs, etc, but not every child will be one. Not every child wants to be.

The countries that are more educationally "successfull" know this. They teach PRACTICAL SKILLS to students who won't be attending college. Heck when I was in school there were two different math paths. One was math one, math 2, and consumer math. Consumer math is balancing a checkbook, figuring interest rates. Things you WILL USE if you never see the inside of another calssroom. The other was algebra, trig, geometry. For those intending to further their educations.

You CAN go to college with NO LOANS, it just takes longer than 4 years. But the things in life worth having you will WORK FOR. They "are not free" to go to another old saying.
  • Sheila potlatch 2012/04/30 13:45:51
    Sheila
    +2
    Thank you!! I appreciate the back up!

All I can say if he thinks that was the most ignorant thing he has ever heard he has not heard much..... :-)
  • sherie potlatch 2012/05/05 21:00:13
    sherie
    +1
    We need more trade schools as an option.I agree that a traditional college is not for everyone.....but they are expensive too.
  • Flaming... swim2bgood 2012/05/04 03:49:03
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    I paid mine and they need to pay theirs. No free rides, as far as i see it you borrow, you pay it back.
  • CHUCK -... swim2bgood 2012/04/29 22:26:33
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
    +1
    You are right! European countries take care of the schooling better than we do, look whose falling behind! AND we're cutting teachers! But we WON"T raise the tax on the rich! Just dumb down America! How do republicans sleep at night!
  • swim2bgood CHUCK -... 2012/04/29 22:30:55
    swim2bgood
    +2
    I sleep pretty well haha. I am a registered Republican. Yes a Republican that believes our nation would benefit from educating our citizens! Haha it is pretty unbelievable but I am a Ron Paul supporter so that ought to tell you something about my allegiance to the GOP.

2014/10/23 06:01:28