Should Someone On Welfare Have To Pass Urine Test To Get Their Check?

concerned dude 2010/12/15 01:40:06
Related Topics: Government, taxes, Tax, Job
Yes. Fair is fair and I support equality.
No. People getting welfare checks should be allowed to be on drugs.
Not sure. I have no value compass to help me decide.
Like most folks in this country, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes & the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit.

In order to get that paycheck, in my case, I am required to pass a random urine test (with which I have no problem).

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. In 1965 Welfare cost tax payers $8.9 Billion. In 2000 it ballooned to $434 Billion. The recent round of spending estimates, probably on the low side, $787 Billion.

So, here is my question: Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

• Joanne1225 2010/12/15 11:06:01
    Joanne1225
    +4
    I had a difficult time choosing an answer that really fit with how I feel about this, because each answer includes a statement that really reflects more of how you feel.

While I do believe that some folks should have to pass a urine test to receive welfare, I don't believe that all should. Random tests might make sense. This would increase the cost of welfare administration, but perhaps it would even out if people who tested positive no longer got their benefit. I'm not sure.

Have you ever personally known someone that receives public assistance? That is homeless and needs help? I do. I've been helping her go through the system for more than a year now. At the time, her baby was 9 months old. Her boyfriend was put in jail (rightfully so), giving her the opportunity to get away from him. Days later she was evicted from their apartment because he had not paid the rent. I happened to live at the same apartment complex at the time, and offered to help her. She is Polish, here on a green card, and had no idea what she would do or what would happen to her.

I couldn't stand by and do nothing. I learned the system quickly, helping her to get emergency housing at an Interfaith Shelter, where there were many other families, each with their own story of hardship, looking t...

I couldn't stand by and do nothing. I learned the system quickly, helping her to get emergency housing at an Interfaith Shelter, where there were many other families, each with their own story of hardship, looking to improve their lives, get jobs, get homes, get back on their feet. None of them liked the situation they were in. From there, she qualified for a special program through the local YWCA and is now living in transitional housing and is receiving assistance through public welfare, as well as food stamps and health care. She knows no one in this country; her family is all in Poland. So, my family has "adopted" her and her daughter and we have made them a part of our family.

She has attended parenting classes, classes on job skills, and others. She works very hard to stretch the money she receives. She attends church with me and our church family has also been very helpful. She just replaced her stolen green card ($480) and is now working at a local child care. She has taken steps to gain sole custody of her daughter and her "boyfriend" was deported, which is a blessing.

Now, should my friend be tested for drugs? She has never taken a drug in her life and her actions and determination count for a lot, in my book. Are there other people in the "system" that should be tested for drugs? Yes. Their actions indicate that they are not doing well, not participating, not learning, not making good decisions. But let's not paint all with the same brush. Let's err on the side of compassion.

• KoAm 2011/01/25 00:16:40
    KoAm
    Hey, I had to do it -- and this was so that I could serve our country in the Coast Guard.

I had no problem with it, either. I completely understood it. Well, if people have to do drug tests to be in the military, they should also have to do it if they're going to take other people's tax money.
  • debbie 2010/12/24 20:46:51
    debbie
    I think if many businesses are forcing employee to do random urine tests for drug screening then welfare recipients should have to also. Fair is fair....
  • The Govenor 2010/12/24 04:32:50
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2010/12/22 15:36:37
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    I think to Qualify for welfare they should have to pass urine and drug tests
    i do not want my tax payer dollars going so someone can smoke pot and get free money
  • tncdel 2010/12/18 19:13:55
    tncdel
    I also support verification of legal immigration status. Too many illegal aliens collecting welfare, food stamps and other services using fake ID's, etc.
  • buttercup 2010/12/18 18:04:17
    buttercup
    I have a very strong value compass, my answer is NO, because people on welfare are usually single mothers who have been abandoned by the father of her children.
    My value compass indicates that the father's of these children should be supporting them
  • tncdel buttercup 2010/12/18 19:16:37
    tncdel
    What's that got to do with requiring them to submit to random urine testing? A mother who can pay for illicit drugs proves she really doesn't need welfare, since she has money to squander on drugs.
  • buttercup tncdel 2010/12/18 19:30:30
    buttercup
    Welfare is for supporting the children of irresponsible males who only know how to father a child but cannot stick around for the responsibility. A woman having gone through that, abandonment, and then having to admit it to the world and ask for help is already a sacrifice of her dignity. She shouldn't be exposed to even more humiliation.
  • concern... buttercup 2010/12/22 13:10:44
    concerned dude
    What does being a single mother have to do with taking a pee test?
  • buttercup concern... 2010/12/22 13:13:33
    buttercup
    It has to do with human dignity, and taking the last shreds of it away from a woman who has probably already gone through hell
  • concern... buttercup 2010/12/22 13:54:21
    concerned dude
    +1
    I know many single mothers who take a pee test for jobs. It has nothing to do with losing dignity. Life can be tough, our country is broke, we need to reform Welfare and this question was interesting. Hard to imagine people not wanting what is fair for all people. very intersting.
  • buttercup concern... 2010/12/22 15:03:38 (edited)
    buttercup
    That would be like having the government as a babysitter.
    I don't believe in the pee test for jobs either
  • concern... buttercup 2010/12/22 15:30:49
    concerned dude
    +2
    I hate that too! I don't believe in pee tests either but the government requires them for many jobs as do private industry because government pushes Insurance companies to make companies do them. It's a vicious circle of government intrusion into our lives. That said, we should all be treated equal when it comes to that same government law and intrusion into our lives.
  • buttercup concern... 2010/12/22 15:34:58
    buttercup
    But it is not required for every job. and In my mind, a single mother having to raise her children alone is not being treated equally from the start. That entails burdens beyond equal.
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 04:36:12
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 04:40:37
    buttercup
    +1
    No, I was on welfare because my ex dead beat husband and father of my child couldn't man up to his responsibility. You don't want money given out to support children and women who have been abandoned, then enforce some kind of responsibility laws for deadbeat dads.
    And I don't want to hear anything about the woman going to work, because by the time she gets through paying for child support she will still need the welfare check.
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 04:50:27
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 05:06:55
    buttercup
    What kind of job do you have?
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 05:17:10
  • The Gov... The Gov... 2010/12/24 05:18:07
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 05:19:33
    buttercup
    I don't believe that drug testing should be done except for jobs with high security risk. Too many companies are doing drug testing these days, and that should change.
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 05:23:01
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 05:23:42
    buttercup
    I am collecting my social security now. I went to work as soon as my child no longer needed child care. I didn't have a child so that some stranger could bring her up. And when I was on welfare, I was collecting my father's taxes, not yours.
    You are probably younger than my child.
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 14:30:54
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 14:41:47
    buttercup
    I think the bums who walked out on their responsibility should be the ones taking the urine test
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 14:49:48
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 15:07:53
    buttercup
    No dear, men walking out on women and the children they have fathered is what has caused the NEED for the welfare system to begin with. That is the root of the tree, but it is all one tree.
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 15:14:13
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 15:22:05
    buttercup
    You are correct, but it is also used to house and feed women and children who have been abandoned by irresponsible men. There is positive and negative in all walks of life. And it is wrong to subject the good and unfortunate to the same indignities as the bad and abusive.
    By the way, in my state, food stamps are now electronic, so they can only be negotiated in a grocery store. And if a woman does receive any kind of child support, welfare confiscates it for a full year, even if the woman only got one months check. Do you think that is fair?
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 17:04:30
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 17:10:22
    buttercup
    No, we are talking about shredding what is left of a woman's dignity.
    What happens when the test comes back positive? You pay someone else to raise her children?
    That happened to my cousin. Louisiana is not a welfare state. They would not give my aunt any money to raise her own child, they put him into the household of a stranger and paid the stranger to raise him. And he was bounced around from stranger to stranger. He doesn't know the meaning of a stable environment
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 17:26:57
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 17:41:48
    buttercup
    I asked you a question. Who will raise the children when the the mother's test comes back positive? They money is still going to go out. The money is not free, it came with a heavy price, and you would have to be a woman who was betrayed and abandoned by someone she loved and trusted was going to take care of her all of her days to understand that.

• The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/24 20:11:29
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/24 20:36:25
    buttercup
    I didn't accuse you of anything or intimate that your life was perfect. Why are you taking this so personally?
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/25 00:32:46
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/25 00:37:19
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/25 00:48:09
  • buttercup The Gov... 2010/12/25 00:55:44
    buttercup
    +1
    A wonderful thing you are doing, Your friend is truly blessed to have your friendship
  • The Gov... buttercup 2010/12/25 00:58:29

2014/08/23 15:30:51