Should some type of public service be performed to receive unemployment benefits beyond the timeline it was originally designed for?

Double Tee 2014/01/01 04:47:29
All of the lazy liberals and progressives are crying a river of tears because unemployment benefits are expiring after two-years. The Democrats want to extend them because they know the longer you are out of work because you have a far less chance of finding a job. The vast majority of employers will not hire anyone who has been out of work for over a year and the Democrats know this. They want to extend the "benefits" to ensure votes and have control over the serfs.

If extended "benefits' are to be given, implement some type of "work plan". Many communities are already crying because their towns are filthy or things are falling apart. Well, put those who have exhausted their two-years worth of DOING NOTHING and receiving their "free stuffs" to work for the good of their communities.

What say you?

• Maxine 2014/01/01 06:12:40
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Maxine
    +7
    I agree they could do community service, library, day care, elder day care, teachers aid, hospital volunteers, it would give them a sense of earning it.

Some of this is what I have done in the past as a volunteer.

• MisterOriginal 2014/01/31 07:22:41
    NO WAY - I wants my free stuffs
    MisterOriginal
    It's yet another excuse for slavery. The leaders botch the economy so they can regress to slavery. Making the "leaders" pay for their greed is the issue.
  • Ashley 2014/01/02 17:58:29
    Other
    Ashley
    +1
    It is insurance that you paid into. Why should there be a limit if you are honestly trying to find work?
  • Burnjuan 2014/01/02 05:41:41
    Other
    Burnjuan
    +1
    What an ignorant opinion! People are lazy because their job moves overseas so that some wealthy prick can take advantage of people who don't have a good enough government to protect them? That's sick dude!
  • Double Tee Burnjuan 2014/01/02 05:43:24
    Double Tee
    Good bye assclown.
  • Captain-Morgan 2014/01/02 04:35:25
    Other
    Captain-Morgan
    No not for unemployment.. But for welfare and food stamps yes, work fare should be the case. It worked for and under Old President Bill Clinton...
  • Walt 2014/01/02 04:35:10
    Other
    Walt
    The benefits you initially receive are benefits based on what you yourself put into the pool of money when you were working. That's yours. You are entitled to it, because it was taken away from you, involuntarily, whether you liked it or not.

After that, when it comes to extended benefits, sure. People should have to work for benefits they didn't earn themselves.
  • jj.hantsch 2014/01/02 04:19:08
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    jj.hantsch
    +1
    Unemployment benefits and welfare payments should come with a mandatory work requirement. School districts, charities and religious foundations should be allowed to employ these people for 10% cost with the 90% paid by the government, with individuals rotating where they work every 6 months. No work, no pay.
  • Double Tee jj.hantsch 2014/01/02 04:26:11
    Double Tee
    Agree. NO MORE living off of unemployment and welfare as a career.
  • Frank Stephens 2014/01/02 02:59:37
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Frank Stephens
    +1
    Work for pay benefits the welfare recipient and the taxpayers funding benefits.
  • mikeyavelli 2014/01/01 23:59:10
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    mikeyavelli
    +1
    Cut unemployment and suddenly they're really looking for work. No government program is going to justify unemployment compensation. The WPA proved that. One man dug a hole, the other guy filled it.
    Businesses pay taxes for unemployment insurance, and we pay ultimately.
  • Phyllis Murphy 2014/01/01 18:33:07
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Phyllis Murphy
    +1
    Anyone being supported by taxpayers that are able bodied should participate in some sort of mental, physical or other designated labors to pay for their tax paid welfare whether on lifetime welfare, prison, etc! Even able bodied in nursing homes could perform menial duties to defray their rent being paid by taxpayers....Illegals should just be shipped back to countries of origins...Nobody owes them anything and they are a terrible burden to taxpayers....Not only Mexico but all tresspassers!
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2014/01/01 18:17:44
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    There is a lot of things that could be done for the good of the community.
  • morris44 2014/01/01 15:48:47 (edited)
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    morris44
    I could go for this. But most of the time Republicans vote down this type of program.

On a second note, you say people sat for 2 years receiving their free stuff, but you forget they and their employer paid into unemployment, so it isn't free.
  • Phyllis... morris44 2014/01/01 18:33:52
    Phyllis Murphy
    How do you know that is true and where did you hear or read it?
  • wildcat 2014/01/01 14:17:40
    Other
    wildcat
    You mean like FDR's New Deal. CPA workers camps, the TVA, the electrification of the west (REA), I like that idea.
  • All American 2014/01/01 14:07:32
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    All American
    +2
    No free rides.
  • Phyllis... All Ame... 2014/01/03 17:18:43
    Phyllis Murphy
    Over 50% of Americans on welfare and pay not taxes or anything else and by cigarettes and booze with welfare money!
  • dubbie 2014/01/01 13:55:29
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    dubbie
    +1
    It should`ve been created long ago , Not only would it help in govt paying overtime to get things done ,It would also help in a healthier America getting those lazy a## sofa huggers off the sofa and doing some work for what they are handed instead of cracking the window open to watch for the check delivery
  • 2spooku 2014/01/01 13:35:54
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    2spooku
    +2
    Yes, after you've exhausted a period od six weeks drawing unemployment benefits you should perform some kind of community service a few days a week to get any further benefits. This should apply to all welfare recipients too. No more free rides on the tax payer.
  • Double Tee 2spooku 2014/01/01 13:42:39
    Double Tee
    Exactly. Not asking for 8-hour days or 40-hour weeks. Just something.
  • Helmholtz 2014/01/01 13:35:15
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Helmholtz
    +1
    Yes. I'm so sick of people taking my tax dollars a d sticking their noses up at doing my kind of work. You can't get the type of job you used to get. I get it. But jobs are out there -- jobs like mine.
  • Helmholtz Helmholtz 2014/01/01 13:36:33
    Helmholtz
    +1
    Also -- not ALL liberals and progressives. I'm fairly left wing and thought that this type of welfare should have ended quite a while back.
  • Surly Curmudgen 2014/01/01 13:17:51 (edited)
    Other
    Surly Curmudgen
    +2
    If the government is allowed to utilize the unemployed it will always take money from someone else's pocket, sometimes very deliberately. Three to six months max and go find a job.

Those who were doing that work are now unemployed.
  • robert 2014/01/01 12:54:06
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    robert
    Absolutely ! If you are able bodied , you have every obligation to get your lazy butt out there and be productive , do more than just hold your hand out!!!
  • SassySybarite 2014/01/01 11:46:07
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    SassySybarite
    +2
    I think being able to offer some work people can do in return for the unemployment benefit is the ideal. That way people will feel they earn the money, plus the work will provide them with other benefits such as skill building, making contacts, having referees and just generally getting out of themselves.
  • Double Tee SassySy... 2014/01/01 12:17:47
    Double Tee
    Agree.
  • Dgjot~PWCM~JLA 2014/01/01 10:55:02
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    Dgjot~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I wonder. I work and I'm too tired to go home and cook and clean. I have a spare bedroom. I wonder if someone would be willing to cook and clean in exchange for room and board?
  • Double Tee Dgjot~P... 2014/01/01 12:17:21
    Double Tee
    Things like this can work out of you find the right person.
  • jeane 2014/01/01 08:31:39
    YES - A days work for a days pay
    jeane
    +2
    Most people would like to have something to do! I know I would.
  • Sal Mon... jeane 2014/01/01 08:58:02
    Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL
    +1
    Happy New Years to you and yours Jeane!
  • Phyllis... jeane 2014/01/02 23:30:33
    Phyllis Murphy
    You would be surprised at the number who love to live off the government and taxpayers and are perfectly happy doing it!
  • S* 2014/01/01 08:14:08
    Other
    S*
    I do not understand all the issues, but certainly, I like the idea of a days pay for days labor, but if it keeps then from searching for a job, it may be counterproductive. I have never received unemployment, but is most certainly necessary at times. At what point does it need to be curtailed, I do not know.
  • SassySy... S* 2014/01/01 11:49:04
    SassySybarite
    It should never be curtailed. It isn't in Australia. However working for the payment is the best way to go in my opinion. Obviously it wouldn't be 5 days pw, but perhaps 2 or 3 and the rest of the time would be free to look for work.
  • Prime Time Lime 2014/01/01 08:02:02 (edited)
    Other
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Sometimes people have to go beyond the timeline,and performing public service takes away any chance to find another job.Thus they eventually run of of unemployment insurance and still have no job.Working for free never works and should not be mandatory.One is not lazy because they do not have a job,that is an illusion.
    Unemployment can affect anyone regardless of political stance,and when it comes it is needed.You have no reality to the fact that many jobs are strickly seasonal,a fisherman by law can only fish a part of the year,then when not working they are entitled to unemployment insurance.It is not fault of them nor are they lazy.
  • jeane Prime T... 2014/01/01 08:33:14
    jeane
    +5
    A balance of work and looking for a job could be worked out. Most people would rather be doing something than sitting around worrying.
  • Prime T... jeane 2014/01/01 08:39:27
    Prime Time Lime
    If one wants to do public service it should be optional not mandatory.A person pays in taxes for the right to be on unemployment,thus receiving the benefits they had alreadu paid for,and are now using that service.I agree that worrying and sitting around is not beneficial but it still should a choice and not mandatory.
  • USAF Vet Prime T... 2014/01/01 09:14:58
    USAF Vet
    +2
    So what if that person only paid taxes for let's say, 6 months to a year; they already paid the taxes, fine, should they use said service into perpetuity, or receive 6 to 12 months of benefits?
  • SassySy... Prime T... 2014/01/01 11:52:55
    SassySybarite
    +1
    I see no reason why it shouldn't be mandatory so long as some choice is offered wherever possible and the work is not onerous.
  • jeane Prime T... 2014/01/02 02:14:51
    jeane
    +2
    It teaches people to take something for nothing. This is not good. Most honest people would be glad in an adverse situation to do "something" to earn money.
  • Phyllis... jeane 2014/01/01 18:35:27
    Phyllis Murphy
    Wanna bet? I worked in a field where the welfare wayfarers enjoyed every bit of their welfare life!

2014/09/02 23:45:43