Should Schools Stay Open on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

Check out our MLK Day Quick Poll and voice your opinion on the ins-and-outs of the holiday. We'd love to hear from you!

• Poison Ivy 2012/02/10 20:05:15
    Poison Ivy
    I think the week before they should teach all that stuff, and then give respect to him by letting people have the day off.
  • fortuenti 2012/01/19 22:44:41
    fortuenti
    +1
    He would've wanted students to learn more.
  • Ejayt7 2012/01/16 02:50:08 (edited)
    Ejayt7
    I personally don't honor men so obessively. I do not honor MLK but honor FMJ (judge Frank Minis Johnson Jr., Earl Warren, and Thurgood Marshall, the first Black man on the Supreme Court. The Hightest position of Law of whom Martin Luther King was not!

Besides, Who left the most of the churches segregated? Was it not Martin Luther King. He preached equality in public but not in the churches. It doesn't sounds like God was working fully in him if his message did not reach the churches. Basically, the churches have never been a full example of "Civil Rights' " message. True christians are suppose to worship our one creator together, not segregated. Desegregation is long over due in the churches. Are we not integrated on the earth in general?
    Do we not have one God that created us? Preachers are not to force feed the truth to dogs. Give not what is holy to the dogs! Sounds to me that the blind has been led by the blind. Look at the big picture from 1955 to 2012 the majority of the churches are still segregated, I state again. In the kingdom of God there will not be any separating in the ways we are now. Black churches and White churches should be don't away with in this country, (and so Black colleges and White colleges). Who will preach it or protest it? Not, the Government, i...

Do we not have one God that created us? Preachers are not to force feed the truth to dogs. Give not what is holy to the dogs! Sounds to me that the blind has been led by the blind. Look at the big picture from 1955 to 2012 the majority of the churches are still segregated, I state again. In the kingdom of God there will not be any separating in the ways we are now. Black churches and White churches should be don't away with in this country, (and so Black colleges and White colleges). Who will preach it or protest it? Not, the Government, it is a separation between church and State, but it is a great example that integration can work! I say more by the spirit of God. God's true Church is integrated and was the first to integrate in America. Don't fool yourselves.
  • thegaln... Ejayt7 2012/01/16 06:18:29
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    I see segregation in churches more along worship style lines; for example there are five churches outside of the mainline denominations in the next town over from me. There is a Baptist church (born again/baptism/more traditional songs?), and Evangelical Free Church (born again/baptism recommended/praise songs mixed with one hymn/no tongues), and Assembly of God Church (born again/baptism sometime/praise songs/tongues in order), and a full gospel Pentecostal church (less emphasis on born again and water baptism/praise songs/and tongues as evidence of belonging to G-d) ... are the Christians segregated? yes, but is it along race lines, no.... it's in way one prefers to worship the Almighty... I don't fit in anywhere but do my best to fit in at the Assembly of G-d. (I'd love a Sabbath Messianic Synagogue but that's not around here).

Here's my point: usually, unless it's the likes of Rev Wright, it's not a race issue in the church. Those truly connected by the Spirit of G-d will not segregate by color.
  • Ejayt7 thegaln... 2012/01/20 07:29:29
    Ejayt7
    I know of a Sabbath-keeping the that maybe in your area. If you want the information, I can send it to you via of your Sodahead's email, just let me know! It is my affiliation.
  • thegaln... Ejayt7 2012/01/20 07:43:43
    thegalnextdoor
    send it via e-mail and I'll check it out... thanks!
  • thegaln... Ejayt7 2012/01/17 05:33:22
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    go to wallbuilders.com -- they have some very interesting links about famous black people... including one who was the first double spy in this country and was to credit for stopping Cornwalis by misinforming him of what the colonists were planning. There were many others suggested on a talk show I heard today.
  • Paloma 2012/01/15 04:50:05
    Paloma
    +1
    That day off is giving me an extra day to study for finals.
  • thegaln... Paloma 2012/01/15 07:42:16
    thegalnextdoor
    I'll buy that... you go girl and get good grades on those finals!
  • Creep 2012/01/14 02:36:08
    Creep
    If it wasn't for MLK, the U.S. right now wouldn't have as much tolerance, freedom, or be multicultural. I think people owe it to him to commence his great efforts that literally changed history & allow us to live the lives we live today. The least we can do as a country is honor it by making it an official holiday, yes, that means take the day off just as we do on Christmas or Thanksgiving. Christmas is a holiday that is more of a religious stance than anything worth honoring, like people who went through great lengths, at the cost of his own life, to give us freedom. If you can't appreciate that, you don't deserve this freedom.
  • mazes 2012/01/14 01:23:44 (edited)
    mazes
    +1
    With the fact that most people now view it as just a day off I think schools should stay open. Also, kids need education now more than ever. Edit: I meant to vote yes.
  • GregGarrett 2012/01/13 23:10:03
    GregGarrett
    I would give them thanks giving, Christmas, and new years, and that is it. They already get weekends which is better than most of the working world. Teachers, I am sorry, taking a day out for your paperwork at the end of each semester is just wasted education time. I know it means more work, but that is not to say I don't think you should get paid a hell of a lot more to do it right.
  • Lucid 2012/01/13 02:39:15
    Lucid
    My school has a day off on MLK Day :)
  • thegaln... Lucid 2012/01/13 18:57:00
    thegalnextdoor
    so what are you planning to do to honor MLK on that day?
  • Lucid thegaln... 2012/01/13 20:20:13
    Lucid
    Go on a joyride & scream out "Martin Luther King!" to random people.
  • thegaln... Lucid 2012/01/13 20:40:04
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    how about going out and shoveling snow for some senior citizens and not expecting pay .... or go and clean an invalid's house for him/her.... volunteer to work at a soup kitchen for the homeless or sort donations at the Salvation Army....
  • Lucid thegaln... 2012/01/13 21:22:16
    Lucid
    +1
    There's no snow here. My point is everyone deserves a break from school, work etc. But if you want to go out of your way & do those deeds, then good for you, ma'am :D
  • GregGar... Lucid 2012/01/13 23:12:50
    GregGarrett
    +1
    school is supposed to prepare you for the real world isn't it. I work weekends, and holidays because I have to if I want to pay bills. I have not gone on vacation in more than 2 years and that is the first vacation I have gone on since I stated working in the real world 19 years ago. Why do you need time off to recognize the man, but instead should be in school to better educate yourself so that his history is never repeated.
  • Lucid GregGar... 2012/01/14 01:17:57
    Lucid
    School is the stepping stone to success, yes. Yet, what is the big deal of having one day off? If anything, we should feel appreciative. I acknowledge MLK & am thankful for what he has has done. So by honoring him, I won't be a racist bitch. Thank you for your two cents.
  • Creep GregGar... 2012/01/14 02:26:22
    Creep
    Some jobs have MLK off. It's unfortunate that your job sux.
  • thegaln... Lucid 2012/01/15 07:45:27
    thegalnextdoor
    I'm working at my job MLK Day.... but if I had kids at home who wanted to honor MLK I would certainly be helping them find volunteer jobs to do to make this world a better place much like MLK wanted to do. (regardless of how one feels about him I do believe that was his goal)
  • Ben 2012/01/13 02:35:08
    Ben
    Its mlk day
  • Me! 2012/01/13 01:39:23
    Me!
    We need to honor him!
  • thegaln... Me! 2012/01/13 19:05:09
    thegalnextdoor
    so how will you honor him on your time off from school....
  • Creep thegaln... 2012/01/14 02:44:08
    Creep
    Getting the day off itself is honoring his importance. We get Memorial or Labor day off, why not MLK, whom impacted a great change in this country? On Memorial or Labor day, what do people do to "honor" it? Throw a BBQ, right?
  • thegaln... Creep 2012/01/15 07:48:31
    thegalnextdoor
    On Memorial Day we go to the park for a ceremony honoring the war dead... and after that the BBQ.... Labor Day is a different story around here at least... some communities have a working man's parade BUT Labor Day was started to give the working man a day to have a BBQ with his family.
  • Creep thegaln... 2012/01/15 16:17:03
    Creep
    Point is, regardless what people choose to do with their day off or "how" to honor the holiday...MLK deserves recognition of importance. The least this country can do for a man who sacrificed himself for everyone's right to be treated as a human is make it an official American holiday, which yes, means you get the day off. We get Christmas off when half the country isn't a Christian, how come? Why not keep people at work or keep schools open rather than letting them sleep in just to wake up early to open presents? Is a storytale about Jesus really more important than a man of our time that fought & died for our freedom?
  • thegaln... Creep 2012/01/15 21:34:31
    thegalnextdoor
    okay I understand your point but I don't think that would be something that he would be pleased about... but I may be wrong... the idea of an entitled day off just rubs me the wrong way and for that I apologise...
  • Me! thegaln... 2012/01/22 13:59:48
    Me!
    Well I always at least think about what he has done and am thankful. My school stopped doing things to honor him before the day years ago. So just thinking about him and being thankful is better than what my school does
  • thegaln... Me! 2012/01/23 16:20:56
    thegalnextdoor
    I can see your point.
  • Me! thegaln... 2012/02/05 15:11:57
    Me!
    Thank you.
  • Mymi 2012/01/12 01:19:17
    Mymi
    i don´t think so ¬¬
  • Liv 2012/01/11 23:57:12
    Liv
    As long as I get out of school, I really don't care what day it is.
  • thegaln... Liv 2012/01/12 07:52:24
    thegalnextdoor
    You prove the point of those of us saying school should be in session very well.
  • Liv thegaln... 2012/01/12 11:54:40
    Liv
    Or maybe proving the point that I'm a normal teenager?
  • thegaln... Liv 2012/01/12 20:30:07
    thegalnextdoor
    +1
    I will accept that Liv although I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are some kids in school who would like to get out in time to get a summer job to save for college or help support their family and would be more than happy to be in school for a day. Then again, if I am fully honest, as a teacher I enjoyed a weekday to run errands and get things done EXCEPT that MLK Day means many of those places are closed.
  • Liv thegaln... 2012/01/12 22:53:11
    Liv
    All I'm saying is it's nice to have days off.
  • thegaln... Liv 2012/01/13 19:06:01
    thegalnextdoor
    workers feel the same way....
  • Liv thegaln... 2012/01/14 00:26:41
    Liv
    Then you shouldn't have had a problem with my post
  • thegaln... Liv 2012/01/15 07:50:17
    thegalnextdoor
    I think I was hearing an attitude of "I deserve a day off" and while I agree it's nice to have days off, it's also not something society owes anyone... I hope you enjoy your day off.

2014/07/25 23:14:15