Should schools require their students to wear a school uniform?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/03/01 07:45:31
school uniform is a good idea
school uniform would make  Teens Focus more on Education than Fashion
Teenagers have the right to wear appropriate Clothes But not School Uniforms
Teenagers tired of your Parents telling you what to do wait till your in the real world
No to School Uniforms
The business world is increasingly relaxed about dress codes,
School Uniforms suppresses individualism
I think
schools require students wear school uniform

School Uniforms: Where They Are and Why They Work

A safe and disciplined learning environment is the first requirement of a good school. Young people who are safe and secure, who learn basic American values and the essentials of good citizenship, are better students. In response to growing levels of violence in our schools, many parents, teachers, and school officials have come to see school uniforms as one positive and creative way to reduce discipline problems and increase school safety.

They observed that the adoption of school uniform policies can promote school safety, improve discipline, and enhance the learning environment. The potential benefits of school uniforms include:

• decreasing violence and theft -- even life-threatening situations -- among students over designer clothing or expensive sneakers;
  • helping prevent gang members from wearing gang colors and insignia at school;
  • instilling students with discipline;
  • helping parents and students resist peer pressure;
  • helping students concentrate on their school work; and
  • helping school officials recognize intruders who come to the school.

As a result, many local communities are deciding to adopt school uniform policies as part of an overall program to improve school safety and discipline. California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, New York, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia have enacted school uniform regulations. Many large public school systems -- including Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dayton, Detroit, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Miami, Memphis, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Orleans, Phoenix, Seattle and St. Louis -- have schools with either voluntary or mandatory uniform policies, mostly in elementary and middle schools. In addition, many private and parochial schools have required uniforms for a number of years. Still other schools have implemented dress codes to encourage a safe environment by, for example, prohibiting clothes with certain language or gang colors.

dress codes encourage safe environment prohibiting clothes language gang colors

Uniform suppresses individualism and treats students en masse rather than encouraging teachers to recognise their different characters and abilities, and students to accept responsibility for aspects of their own lives. Uniform was better suited to an age of rote learning and military-style discipline than to the more exploratory and creative values of modern education – values which are increasingly important to the wider economy. Many schools, indeed many countries, manage to maintain high school standards of discipline, community and academic performance without adopting uniform.
Often it is uniform that is inappropriate, being too cold in winter or too hot in summer, largely because it is badly designed and cheaply-produced in small quantities for a captive market. Girls in particular complain at being forced to wear skirts even in the coldest months, when many would generally wear trousers from choice and some, e.g. Muslims, for cultural reasons. Students will always attempt to subvert any dress code, strict or lenient, requiring staff vigilance in any case.

Read More: http://www2.ed.gov/updates/uniforms.html

• Shawna 2011/03/01 07:49:17
    school uniform is a good idea
    Shawna
    +10
    I am inclined to favour them but the last time I mentioned that I was attacked my many SodaHead teens who thought I was evil.

• Cunning... cynsity 2011/03/01 23:41:40
    Cunningmungus
    +1
    I think you didn't get your money's worth in English nor typing, and I think I wouldn't want you teaching my kid.
  • cynsity Cunning... 2011/03/02 23:15:12
    cynsity
    Neither, I was doing all my typing yesterday with an ill puppy squirming in my arms. But if taht is all you have to say to me then oh well... My editor doesn't mind my skills and my GPA in my undergrad, masters and now my doctrate courses has never dropped below a 3.89. Not that any of it has anything to do with an ability to convey inforamation to students. But you wouldn't know much about that would you
  • Cunning... cynsity 2011/03/03 14:37:06
    Cunningmungus
    Yeah I am receiving "taht""inforamation" about your "doctrate" courses loud and clear. yeah receiving tahtinforamation doctrate courses loud clear dunce cap
  • ♠Jen♠ B... cynsity 2011/03/02 06:38:11
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    +1
    Teacher or not, I had better spelling and grammar when I entered high school. I'm guessing that you didn't do well in your English class, but I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and attribute the poor spelling to terrible typing skills and the lack of revision.
  • cynsity ♠Jen♠ B... 2011/03/02 23:16:46
    cynsity
    I did very well in my course all my courses... but I will make sure next time I set the puppy down before I step up in this INFORMAL blog space where all you critics wait to nitpick
  • Arty 2011/03/01 20:40:58
    I think
    Arty
    +2
    In my years on an elementary (up to 8th grade) school campus as custodian (janitor) and Educator (teacher) AND my 7 years (I jumped past second grade) There was always a maelstrom of controversy in varied stages of vehemence about SCHOOL UNIFORMS both pro and con. Some parents made their children wear uniforms, but NEVER was there a decision to implement school uniforms, including the 2 years I went to Catholic School. By the time the arguing was over there was an administration change, new staff, power shift in PTO and PTA board directors, not to mention that the student body the uniforms were intended for were on to the next level (in my case on to high school) AND the mindset for the stated NEED for uniforms had changed to one of WE DON' NID NO STEEENKEEENG UNIFORMS !! or somewhere in between. It SEEMS to be an UNRESOLVABLE issue with the ever changing needs and wants of the general population of the communities of schools...MAYBE I HAVE BEEN TOO VERBOSE, but gee whiz look at all the options I had to choose from, and please be aware that I speak from the experience of having been a teacher for 18 years after being a custodian / janitor for 6 years ... etc etc etc and they are still slugging it out with varying degrees of acrimony and harmony ..
  • Icedragon1969 2011/03/01 19:58:27
    Icedragon1969
    +2
    Yeah, what our kids need is to be even more institutionalized during their childhood and adolescence. People that taut it as a way to make them focus on education rather than fashion are apparently missing the point too that they'll just find other means of differentiating themselves, so their point in favor is mute. And now you have to buy two sets of clothes to boot: their school uniform -and- street clothes. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd pull my kids out so fast it'd make the school board's hair fall out from the vacuum left behind.
  • Arty Icedrag... 2011/03/01 20:57:34
    Arty
    As an educator it is my pleasure to inform and let you know that '''taut'' means, with high tension or STRETCHED tightly, as a rope or string or maybe even ones nerves. What you are trying to say is ''taught'' which is the past tense of TEACH.. AND,--''mute' means without SOUND or voluntarily SILENT which advocates of uniforms are definitely NOT..What you are trying to say is '''moot''' which means open for DEBATE, more or less.. I hope you don't plan to HOME SCHOOL the students you pull out.
  • Icedrag... Arty 2011/03/01 21:02:21
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    Actually, you're mistaken. I meant tout, as in "proclaiming". I had a mental lapse which I corrected after the fact. You are correct on the other though. An editing mistake I made. It happens. I'm quite well versed in the matters you mention. I just don't worry as much about it when I'm not writing something formal, like submitting a paper for publication or presentation. If you do, great. Correcting me will serve no purpose in informal writing though because, well, I just don't care. :D

Honestly, it'd be my wife teaching them grammar and spelling anyway. I'll stick with science and history, two subjects I'm far better with.
  • snail Icedrag... 2011/03/01 22:11:41
    snail
    +3
    I wouldn't send any child to a school that required uniforms either.
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2011/03/01 19:40:08
    school uniform is a good idea
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    for all the reasons listed.
  • mae 2011/03/01 19:37:41 (edited)
    school uniform is a good idea
    mae
    +1
    This started out as an experiment in several Jr. High schools here on Oahu. It was so successful that the students themselves voted to keep it. Then the uniform companies begin offering cuter, more trendy options, and the idea spread to some high schools and grade schools. Now, this is a widely accepted trend, and really helps with the school clothing bill for the year. Not to mention the improved grades and reduction in fights.
  • Vezman 2011/03/01 19:34:16
    school uniform is a good idea
    Vezman
    +2
    My son was fortunate enough to go to a private school for 2 years during the 3rd & 4th grades; and we really liked having the uniforms.
  • strawberry Vezman 2011/03/01 22:52:02
    strawberry
    +1
    My son and brother attended Chaminade High School, Mineola, N.Y. an all boys private school, same school Bill O'Rielly on Fox news attended, and many famous people. Dressing was not at all expensive. A couple sport jackets, slacks, shirts, ties, and dress shoes. They looked sharp.
  • Vezman strawberry 2011/03/02 03:28:57
    Vezman
    +1
    Yup, I had gone back to college, and used that opportunity to take my son with me (an hour drive) and drop him at the private school. So we were struggling, but it was worth it. And, buying the uniforms was the best part. he knew what to wear every day, there was no early morning argument. lol
  • strawberry Vezman 2011/03/02 18:48:10
    strawberry
    +1
    Even in the 1960's when I went to public high school I was always worried what to wear that day. There was so much dress competition with the girls. Uniforms would be a positive for Jr. and Sr. public high school students also.
  • Cookielane 2011/03/01 19:07:05 (edited)
    school uniform would make Teens Focus more on Education than Fashion
    Cookielane
    +1
    I'm all for it - always have been. school uniform school uniform school uniforms
  • Cunning... Cookielane 2011/03/01 23:23:34
    Cunningmungus
    +2
    See now I could see kids getting pissed about this look.. WAY too Waspy Academy for public school.
    How about just a polo and khakis for boys..I can't speak for girls, but they need to stop wearing negligee as a shirt around here..
  • Ruby De... Cunning... 2011/03/02 05:42:50
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    This was my old school uniform. It was very comfortable
    school uniform comfortable

Sports uniform was the same for boys and girls. Formal uniform was either skirts or skorts, but we only had to wear it once a week.
  • Cunning... Ruby De... 2011/03/02 15:21:28
    Cunningmungus
    +1
    Yeah, see that is reasonable.. Ties are excessive though, hot in the summer, and can be used to choke another student,
  • Ruby De... Cunning... 2011/03/02 22:33:58
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    I never wore my tie :)
    And school violence is not a major issue in Aus, so that problem never came up.
  • Cookielane Cunning... 2011/03/02 14:59:55
    Cookielane
    +1
    Yeah - I really like the polo and khaki look. At my church they have a school and the boys wear that. The polos can be in a couple of colors. The girls wear a plaid jumper with one of a few shirts, so they have a bit of a variety, but mostly the same. Those fancy jackets up there are definitely waspy academy!
  • Minarchist Cookielane 2011/03/02 14:03:39
    Minarchist
    Look at the suicide rates in Japan too...
  • josh Minarchist 2011/03/08 01:29:45
    josh
    +3
    I doubt that school uniforms made a japanese kid kill himself.
  • Ellly.- 2011/03/01 18:21:12 (edited)
    school uniform is a good idea
    Ellly.-
    +1
    if there are school uniforms there would be less mocking another ones clothes.
    But students should have the option to combine the school uniform between different things!
  • strawberry Ellly.- 2011/03/01 22:55:31
    strawberry
    In public high schools we did not wear uniforms but had strict dress codes. No jeans for guys or girls, no sneakers, girls had to wear skirts or dresses. The way kids dress to Jr. and Sr. high schools these days uniforms would be a great improvement.
  • Ellly.- strawberry 2011/03/02 16:38:29
    Ellly.-
    +1
    agreed
  • Guru Casper BN-ZERO 2011/03/01 17:55:18
    school uniform is a good idea
    Guru Casper BN-ZERO
    +3
    Addit has merits,it promote comradery,school spirit,etc addit meritsit promote comraderyschool spiritetc school uniforms girls
  • Orangedragan 2011/03/01 17:43:13
    No to School Uniforms
    Orangedragan
    +2
    Teenagers are evil creatures; it doesn't matter what you do to make everyone the same, bullies will always find some way to put people down. Lack of individuality does not equal discipline or even orderliness.

Why are we still having this discussion? There's a hundred question on SH asking the same exact thing.
  • strawberry Oranged... 2011/03/01 22:57:05
    strawberry
    School uniforms won't solve all problems but they do make a positive difference.
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2011/03/01 17:38:26
    school uniform is a good idea
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +4
    I have 2 kids in elementary school and I don't have a problem with school uniforms.

Their current school has no uniform and there is a constant battle of kewl versus. Their previous school had a simple and affordable uniform. Pre-defined pan style that could be picked up anywhere in town and a polo style shirt (color coded to the grade) reasonably priced from the school. The shirt colors made it easy for the faculty to spot errant students and when on field trips, keep the group together. ("Hey you in the red shirt! Why aren't you in the gym with the rest of your class?")
  • BobJessen 2011/03/01 17:35:57
    No to School Uniforms
    BobJessen
    +1
    To Hitler Jugenish... HeadHood
  • The polite zombie 2011/03/01 17:14:41
    school uniform is a good idea
    The polite zombie
    +4
    I never was rich enough to have cool clothes. Most of us weren't. That meant a few kids mocked the rest of us.
  • Oranged... The pol... 2011/03/02 02:01:43
    Orangedragan
    Do you really think that having better clothes would've stopped them though? Kids are evil; they'll find anything to belittle others for to make themselves feel better.
  • The pol... Oranged... 2011/03/02 03:16:47
    The polite zombie
    True. But it might have been one less thing that made me stand out.
  • Megan Rochelle Grim-Wise 2011/03/01 17:05:56
    I think
    Megan Rochelle Grim-Wise
    they are ok but i dont think that it would be a good ideal that much. all the options were ok. The one i like was it would take teens focuse off of fashions but what about they look in the uniforms. they might start something with more of looks instead of with out them.
  • Icanbean Arschloch 2011/03/01 16:57:47
    Icanbean  Arschloch
    +1
    It worked for my and my friends 50 some odd yeas ago. Why would it be different today?
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/03/01 16:57:37
    school uniform is a good idea
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    Students will resist it, but I think it makes sense.
  • strawberry Epistem... 2011/03/01 22:59:11
    strawberry
    +1
    School uniforms can look fashionable not frumpy.
  • Epistem... strawberry 2011/03/02 04:24:25
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    True. A uniform doesn't have to be hideous.

2014/11/27 13:19:03